Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WvW Thoughts and more

2»

Comments

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by HorrorScope

If you don't mind explaining in more detail, this is one thing I've been trying to get my head around with WvWvW.

How I uunderstand it, there is a limit on how many can play, otherwise a que. I fear this, I know how people jump into these and play for hours on end and there could be many waiting in que.

You mentioned an "Eternal BG", is that like the official BG that affects server buffs for everyone? And if that is full you go into a non-official BG just like the eternal to play, however whatever you do there has no affect globaly?

Thanks in advance, trying to undestand. I'd nearly give up if it's one BG and everyone has to wait, I envision it being popular and what happens if you are in and a guildy has a member waiting and they want them in, harrassment?

There are 4 large large maps.  There is the Eternal Battlegrounds which is the center map which holds the Central Keep, but there are also 3 Borderlands maps which each homeworld owns.  Blue has a homeworld, Green has a homeworld, Red has a homeworld, and all of these have keeps, towers, supply camps, etc. as well.  Whenever the pop is full on the Eternal Battlegrounds, the center map, you can also go to the Red World, Green World, or Blue World etc..

So basically, all these areas add up to points, and you are going to want to fight in the other homeworlds too to get more points for your Server.  So not only does it allow for you to continue PvP'ing while the Eternal Battlegrounds is full, but it is also necessary to help your server win.  I had quite a bit of PvP this weekend that was done in the Borderlands, so you will always have action. 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I bought GW2 with the hope that I could find a replacement for  my on and off 10 year addiction to DAOC.I've chased a lot of  shadows of what I hoped would be my next home.The list  of pretenders  is too  long to recount.

My first character in GW2 was a NORN Ranger. I absolutely loved the world of the Norn.To walk in the snow, heading in the general diraction of my main quest and run into this creature or that.I had flash backs to my first days in UO.Days where you just walked into the wilderness to see whats there.

WvW was a lot of fun.I think even in its current state it can replace DAOC.

But it needs some improvement

-Queue's need to go....period

-there needs to be other points besides large keeps to fight over.Something small groups can take.The focus on large group zerging needs to be moderated.Perhaps a larger WvW map that spreads people out a bit so there are more things to fight over.Towers can be made that guard key road junctions.

NET NET.I had a great experience given this was beta.I look forward to the next beta event and more polish being added to the game.

Wait what the hell?

There must of been two different wvw maps.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85
    i cant stress enough that u dont actually have to wait in a queue for anything but the center u can go to home worlds and fight but the queue is strickly for peopel that want to arrive at the center way point .
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by RizelStar

I bought GW2 with the hope that I could find a replacement for  my on and off 10 year addiction to DAOC.I've chased a lot of  shadows of what I hoped would be my next home.The list  of pretenders  is too  long to recount.

My first character in GW2 was a NORN Ranger. I absolutely loved the world of the Norn.To walk in the snow, heading in the general diraction of my main quest and run into this creature or that.I had flash backs to my first days in UO.Days where you just walked into the wilderness to see whats there.

-there needs to be other points besides large keeps to fight over.Something small groups can take.The focus on large group zerging needs to be moderated.Perhaps a larger WvW map that spreads people out a bit so there are more things to fight over.Towers can be made that guard key road junctions.

NET NET.I had a great experience given this was beta.I look forward to the next beta event and more polish being added to the game.

Wait what the hell?

There must of been two different wvw maps.

There's actually 4. Way more than enough for small teams to take. I know, I was in a 5 man team that nijad some supply posts.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984

Originally posted by Atlan99

The que is for the eternal battlegrounds. You can still enter one of the three world maps and compete. They limited the central map for balance and performance.

It still alows more players than I experienced during my brief time playing DAOC. It performed better on my computer as well. DAOC is horribly dated at this point. I believe GW2 is far superior in everyway.

Unless something changed I th9ught there were queues for all of the WvW maps.  Each is limited to around 100 players per server, so that means that the max world PvPers from your server can be around 400.  Given the nature of the game, that is indeed a significant handicap.  Now I'm also pretty sure that I read that you will be able to join an overflow WvW map but that your contributions will not count for your server war.

Personally I do not like the instanced nature of the WvW.  DAoC had it right.  If one server got too big then the other two teamed up.  I also prefer the Realms concept to the rotating servers.  I liked the fact that Albs were different from Hibs who hated Mids... all were unique.  WvW is missing that.. instead you will just fight mirror worlds #12 and #18 for two weeks and then go on to fight mirror worlds #3 and #18 the next time.  Less of a war and more of an Esport.

That said, I did have fun in the WvW this weekend.  It's far from perfect but it's closest to DAoC of anything else.  That central keep is MASSIVE.  Nothing like it in any game I have played. Performance was also fantastic for me.  I have a 4 year old PC with 3GB RAM and I did not experience any significant system issues in WvW at all.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Ok so I don't feel dumb for asking since in the answers given there are discrepencies.

I find it important to know, because if I get my hopes up to play to find out I typically cannot do to it being full, that will in my world suck.

So there are 4 zones. Right now they are limited to 100 per side (server) for a total of 300 people at once. x3 that means, 300 people at this time on a server can be in WvWvW (1200 between all servers and zones matched up). To me 300 on a server is cutting it close on waiting a lot if WvWvW becomes all of that.

Now are there really overflow instances? I thought I read there wasn't. If I'm player 350, I get into a non-official instance of a WvWvW? I could live with that. These global buffs while nice, aren't a focus of mine, simple "fun of it all" is.

Thanks again.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Is it correct that you can catapult players over enemies walls sort of like doing a galaxy drop in Planetside?

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by wormywyrm

Is it correct that you can catapult players over enemies walls sort of like doing a galaxy drop in Planetside?

I don't think so, I heard you can do that in Archeage though. You can fear enemies of wall though lol

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by Atlan99

The que is for the eternal battlegrounds. You can still enter one of the three world maps and compete. They limited the central map for balance and performance.

It still alows more players than I experienced during my brief time playing DAOC. It performed better on my computer as well. DAOC is horribly dated at this point. I believe GW2 is far superior in everyway.

DAOC has no queue for the BG's or Frontier.Planetside 2 will have no queue.....Dominus will have no queue.....Secret World will have no queue.

Queue's are for 15 minute kidde games.GW 2 wants to become your world.Waiting to access certain parts of it destroy that immersion....for me.

(fyi for the people who play DAOC...they could not concieve of waiting to fight....and the developers of that game knew that....and made it so that NEVER happens)

I loved DAOC. It was my first but please lets be realistic.

DAOC didnt have queues because there wasnt hundreds of people per side on one map and there is no way it could have handled it. Heck a 60v60 fight got you a good does of initial lag until your computer loaded up all the models.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by HorrorScope

Ok so I don't feel dumb for asking since in the answers given there are discrepencies.

I find it important to know, because if I get my hopes up to play to find out I typically cannot do to it being full, that will in my world suck.

So there are 4 zones. Right now they are limited to 100 per side (server) for a total of 300 people at once. x3 that means, 300 people at this time on a server can be in WvWvW (1200 between all servers and zones matched up). To me 300 on a server is cutting it close on waiting a lot if WvWvW becomes all of that.

Now are there really overflow instances? I thought I read there wasn't. If I'm player 350, I get into a non-official instance of a WvWvW? I could live with that. These global buffs while nice, aren't a focus of mine, simple "fun of it all" is.

Thanks again.

There are no overflow instances for WvW. I was queued waiting for eternal battlegrounds last weekend.

The 100 per server per map limit is the current max. I recall they said they are wanting to increase that limit when they can improve the stability.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984

Originally posted by Rhianni32

I loved DAOC. It was my first but please lets be realistic.

DAOC didnt have queues because there wasnt hundreds of people per side on one map and there is no way it could have handled it. Heck a 60v60 fight got you a good does of initial lag until your computer loaded up all the models.

Not sure what server you played on, but on my server (Palomides) we had some very epic relic raids that certainly had hundreds of players invloved.   Yes I had to spend much of the time staring at the floor to reduce graphics lag, but the battles were huge.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018