Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat too pew pew?

13»

Comments

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by headphones

Originally posted by Archaegeo

Seems like the combat, and this affects all professions, boils down to who has the biggest dps hits.

The CC and debuffs and buffs are all so short lived that it feels pointless to cast them.

I think mostly it just feels like combat is way too fast.  You arent one-shotted, unless facing a veteran 3 levels over you due to scaling, but you are three seconded.

I know people hate in pvp when CC is overpowered or it feels like you are always locked down, but they specifically said pve was different than pvp, so why cant the pve cc have more of an effect?

i kinda like that cc is short lived.

i can't stand cc.

Me either.  The CC in GW2 is there to give you a tactical advantage but it is up to your skill as a player to ascertain whether or not you can take advantage of it.  So in short CC is needed but it isnt there to give you carte blanche upper handedness.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Isn't low level PvP supposed to be a bit simple? Especially when everyone's soloing? I think when we get to higher levels, you'll see more complicated spells with conditions and boons. Not to mention an extra skill and well as an Elite skill.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Its actually refreshing to finally have a game where the PvP is not reliant on who has more CC.

SWTOR is a very recent example of this mechanic. 

Lolipops !

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229
    CC Vs. Kiting..............And the pendulum swings back....image
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I loved the combat. Being able to kite and dodge when really necessary meant I had actual control over the combat.

But certain situations are more difficult for melee though. In big mass fights, melee has the problem of being in the middle of AOE particles and a blob of mobs. Which makes it very difficult to see attacks coming. When you are ranged it is a lot easier to keep an eye on things and you can keep fighting while kiting. This also means if you combine it with CC, you can save your dodging for when it is really necessary.  A melee player has the problem that he doesn't get the chance to kit, not to mention that kiting as melee means not doing dmg. So there is only CC and dodge for them. There is no way to prevent constant dmg from trash mobs for a melee player.

I noticed after a while that with every large event I saw mainly ranged combat by players. It is just easier then melee in those massive fights. This is also why in PVE I only played Rifle and Bow after a while as warrior. There is simply no reason for melee in outdoors PVE.

Most of the players who say melee is just as fine as ranged are players who only played ranged combat. Try to spare your dodge energy as melee next time. Get used to being hit a lot more as melee :p

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Originally posted by someforumguy

I loved the combat. Being able to kite and dodge when really necessary meant I had actual control over the combat.

But certain situations are more difficult for melee though. In big mass fights, melee has the problem of being in the middle of AOE particles and a blob of mobs. Which makes it very difficult to see attacks coming. When you are ranged it is a lot easier to keep an eye on things and you can keep fighting while kiting. This also means if you combine it with CC, you can save your dodging for when it is really necessary.  A melee player has the problem that he doesn't get the chance to kit, not to mention that kiting as melee means not doing dmg. So there is only CC and dodge for them. There is no way to prevent constant dmg from trash mobs for a melee player.

I noticed after a while that with every large event I saw mainly ranged combat by players. It is just easier then melee in those massive fights. This is also why in PVE I only played Rifle and Bow after a while as warrior. There is simply no reason for melee in outdoors PVE.

Most of the players who say melee is just as fine as ranged are players who only played ranged combat. Try to spare your dodge energy as melee next time. Get used to being hit a lot more as melee :p

I agree, I lthink in major combat, you can get lost with just the number of people involved and the spell effects that are going off. I found myself losing the NPC I was fighting against. 

It would be nice if there was some kind of targeting system where you could lock onto who you were fighting.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

As for the CC. To me it seems as if its made like that mainly for ranged players. The short snare/root is all you need to be able to kite out of melee's range most of the time. Melee seems only more efficient if players are balled up (2hnd sword destroys then) or if there is no room to kite/dodge.