Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is apparently PayToWin based on this video... :(

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Atlan99

Originally posted by colddog04

You don't know this. You are basically pulling shit out of thin air again.

And obviously it is a redundant item. It exists in both the cash shop and in drops and quests in game.

I do know this. Arenanet would have never designed the Mystic Chest and Mystic Key otherwise. Arenanet could remove this prior to lauch. However this is how it is designed and deployed currently. Any argument to the contrary is just willful ignorance on your part.

You offer no supporting evidence to back the claim. Because you believe it must be true, it is true. And then you say if anyone disagrees (or even points out you have no clue), they are being willfully ignorant.

It might be the stupidest line of logic I have ever seen.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Why did arenanet create a mystic chest and mystic key? Why not just drop the loot contained inside?

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415
    I'm confused. Can you actually buy gold with real money?

Originally posted by Jakard

I'm confused. Can you actually buy gold with real money?

You buy gems with real life money and then sell the gems to players on the market for gold.

Why did arenanet create a mystic chest and mystic key? Why not just drop the loot contained inside?

They want to offer a convenient way that makes them money for someone to open a chest if they don't have a key available.

They want to offer a convenient way that makes them money for someone to open a chest if they don't have a key available.

That it is why they sell the key in the item shop.

Now try again. Why did arenanet create the mystic chest and mystic key? Why not just give the player the loot inside?

Now try again. Why did arenanet create the mystic chest and mystic key? Why not just give the player the loot inside?

Wow. Read the post.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Just out of curiousity, do you have any idea what is IN the chest?  :T

It's hardly p2w.  More like p2f  (Play 2 Fluff)

• V-L-A-DV-L-A-D Member Posts: 50

Well ok, there are items in the cash shop that helps you to level faster etc, but there is no any item that makes you stronger than other player so is for example a player A got to 20lvl with cash shop's help and a player B got to 20lvl without paying real money, the characters will be same strong. 

Also don't forget that even if you don't want to spend real money on the game YOU CAN TRADE GOLD FOR GEMS so you can get same boosts, keys, appearance as anyone who pay real money does.

Sorry for bad English. :)

Originally posted by Meowhead

Boosts and fluff.

I believe I got the only 10% defensive boost I found in one.

Wow. Read the post.

So we have gotten to it makes them money.

Now how does arenanet make money if the drop rates for the chest and key are equal?

Boosts and fluff

Hardly the world's most amazing boosts. :/

Also, while the key rate seems to be less than the chests currently (Not amazingly bad, but yeah, it's less), golem butlers can open unlimited chests for free until their time runs out and they're not a cash shop item. :/  They can also do unlimited dyes.  It's really just a matter of convenience and people being impatient.

Fixing being impatient isn't p2w. 

Unless your whole idea to winning is to reach stuff slightly faster than other people, when there's a cap that can be reached within a hundred hours anyway.

I guess if you play MMORPGs purely to rush to max level, then it's p2w... faster anyway.  Not doing anything anybody else can't, really.

Wow. Read the post.

Now how does arenanet make money if the drop rates for the chest and key are equal?

Believe it or not, sometimes people will have more chests than keys and sometimes people will have more keys than chests. People have already reported on it many times.

The problem you are apparently having is that you take a leap and say that because they want to make money, they must make the keys drop less. When in reality, peope will buy them for convenience even if they drop the same amount. Gold vs gems. Which payment method do you prefer?

Additionally, they will make money on the plethora of other items in the shop.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by V-L-A-D

Well ok, there are items in the cash shop that helps you to level faster etc, but there is no any item that makes you stronger than other player so is for example a player A got to 20lvl with cash shop's help and a player B got to 20lvl without paying real money, the characters will be same strong. 

Also don't forget that even if you don't want to spend real money on the game YOU CAN TRADE GOLD FOR GEMS so you can get same boosts, keys, appearance as anyone who pay real money does.

If one player is lv12 and his friend is lv20 he will probably be less powerful than his friend. Most level based games work like that. If you buy levels/XP fro real money you buy power, IMO.

In some games people pay real money for powerlevelling service. Very common... And in priciple its the same thing.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Unless your whole idea to winning is to reach stuff slightly faster than other people, when there's a cap that can be reached within a hundred hours anyway.

I love crafting. In my current MMO i have characters that cover every proffesion, each of the proffesions maxed. I play mostly for crafting and exploration, the Dynamic Events is what appeals me the most. I also roleplay. The 50% Crafting boosts and the 50% Karma boosts (many crafts require materials which have Karma costs) might be game breaking for me. It's not being impatient, it's being rewarded for what i like to do, on equal terms as everyone else doing the same thing. I guess i could live with it, but calling everything in the cash shop as being "fluff, unimportant" just because someone's interests are in PvP (and cash shop doesnt affect that) is not right.

Believe it or not, sometimes people will have more chests than keys and sometimes people will have more keys than chests. People have already reported on it many times.

The problem you are apparently having is that you take a leap and say that because they want to make money, they must make the keys drop less. When in reality, peope will buy them for convenience even if they drop the same amount. Gold vs gems. Which payment method do you prefer?

I'll answer the question for you then. They Don't. The only way they would make money off of mystic keys, is if they create a demand for them. So they have to make less keys than chests in order for it work. It's not difficult to understand.

Originally posted by simmihi

I love crafting. In my current MMO i have characters that cover every proffesion, each of the proffesions maxed. I play mostly for crafting and exploration, the Dynamic Events is what appeals me the most. I also roleplay. The 50% Crafting boosts and the 50% Karma boosts (many crafts require materials which have Karma costs) might be game breaking for me. It's not being impatient, it's being rewarded for what i like to do, on equal terms as everyone else doing the same thing. I guess i could live with it, but calling everything in the cash shop as being "fluff, unimportant" just because someone's interests are in PvP (and cash shop doesnt affect that) is not right.

You'll be able to craft longer than the people who are boosting!

That means you'll be able to play the crafting experience LONGER.  :D

Whoo!

*coughs*

Uh, seriously, I'm going to be crafting plenty, and I see no need for boosts, from what I saw so far.  You have to be REALLY impatient to need xp or crafting boosts in GW2.  It's one of the fastest games ever, and people already complain that you level up too fast in games.

Anyway, in this game gold will be more important than in any other game I've played up till this point. People are likely going to end up being a lot more careful with it because gems can be bought with it. I like that the in game currency earned is going to have meaning.

It's the overall sense of economy that I am excited about for this game. Even if the drop rate is lower for mystic keys than boxes which very well might be true - you want to buy a mystic key from the shop? Spend some in game coin to pick up some gems and buy it. You want to horde all the gems and wait for a better time to resell them on the market? Have fun playing the market.

It will mark the first time since EVE that earning gold in game actually has weigh to it. Except in this game you can actually go to the shop and buy things instead of having to pay for subs with isk. And I personally like that.

I'll answer the question for you then. They Don't. The only way they would make money off of mystic keys, is if they create a demand for them. So they have to make less keys than chests in order for it work. It's not difficult to understand.

Then you use gold to buy gems and then you get a key. Or you pay gold to someone on the market for a key.

Even if it were true that mystics keys drop substantially less than mystic boxes, I fail to see your point. You can still get keys in game with gold.

And really, you don't know. You assume. And then you say that anyone that doesn't assume with you is willfully ignorant. 

• BebbohBebboh Member Posts: 29
    I think I got XP boosts from quests aswell.
  • HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by simmihi

You'll be able to craft longer than the people who are boosting!

That means you'll be able to play the crafting experience LONGER.  :D

Whoo!

*coughs*

Uh, seriously, I'm going to be crafting plenty, and I see no need for boosts, from what I saw so far.  You have to be REALLY impatient to need xp or crafting boosts in GW2.  It's one of the fastest games ever, and people already complain that you level up too fast in games.

Some people will want to be first and best. They want to be able to craft the best items ASAP.

Originally posted by Hurvart

Some people will want to be first and best. They want to be able to craft the best items ASAP.

Then they should prepurchase that game.  The 3 day headstart will be a bigger boost than you could make up for by waiting 3 days and getting boosts after the fact.  :3

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

I'm not worried about the leveling time, i'm worried about the revenue. I like to establish a strong economy for my pack of characters, and i enjoy doing this by crafting. Yea, you can call me weird, but that's one of the things which keeps me interested in online games :)

There are others which take the same approach in gaming, and i want to be able to "compete" with them on the same grounds (Auction House PvP, playing the market, economic "domination" etc.) The fact that they "might" use boosts creates some sort of frustration, as i won't be using them, i'm not rich in Real Life.

• likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90

XP Boost doesn't matter. The leveling in this game is already easy, and you get like 95% of your XP from completing events, story quests, and hearts, barely anything from killing.

And the Gem thing barely has any effect on anything at all, with the exception of blueprints (which isn't a game breaker by any means) . 

I don't see how any of this makes it pay to win. If little, no effect things, such as this deters you from buying an otherwise close to perfect game, I'm afraid there is no game for you to play.

Then you use gold to buy gems and then you get a key. Or you pay gold to someone on the market for a key.

Even if it were true that mystics keys drop substantially less than mystic boxes, I fail to see your point. You can still get keys in game with gold.

And really, you don't know. You assume. And then you say that anyone that doesn't assume with you is willfully ignorant. 

I thought we got this past this. You admitted that Arenanet  made the Mystic Chest and Mystic Key to make money.

The only way they make money is to make less keys than chests. 

A)If they make more keys - there are plenty of keys, nobody buys key. Arenanet makes no money

B)If they make an equal amount - some people have keys, some don't. Players sell to those that don't and undercut arenanet. Arenanet again makes no money.

C)If they make more chests than keys - very few people have enough keys, the majority don't. Some people buy keys. Arenanet makes money.

Now if they are designed to make money, then C is the only viable solution.

I believe you are being willfully ignorant if you cannot follow the line of logic to it's conclusion. It's pretty straight forward and basic in design. Anybody should be able to deduce the results.