Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

It's being called "The GW2 Effect".

1356789

Comments

  • Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Lee''s Summit, MOPosts: 285Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Valkaern

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by heartless

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by lonewolf1980

    My 2 brothers and i loved the game. it's ran great for us. No crashes only 1 chat bug out of 3 days, and relog fixes everythings. This game will be the game of the year. GW2 is the ONLY fun game in the market that not a wow's clone game, we'll be playing in the next beta ( soon, i hope ) with alot of friends. Hope to see u all in game.

     

    ps: Why are there so many hate threads about gw2? is it cool to hate everythings? it's must be cool to hate life, gw2, air, foods.

    Its to counter punch the nauseating fanboi posts from the GW2 sales reps here going overboard....The Game is nothing NEW......Face it.....There are only so many ways the keyboard/mouse/controller can be utilized in a 2d/3d computer game...Other then jacking in (Strange Days ref.) Its going to be more of the same old same old.....I predict that sometime in the near future you people will realize this and be less inclined to jump on the bandwagons you hitch yourselves to.  Don't worry, like women(or men for the ladies on here) , another one will be around shortly.......image

    If you honestly don't see what this game brings to the genre, you obviously have not played it. I'm not going to try to explain why you're wrong, it will be a wasted effort but needless to say, you are.

    I played it and saw nothing new that hasn't been done in GW1 or other games......You can mix the leggos into different patterns all you like and delude yourself into thinking you have something new, but all you really have is leggos.....  Play more games and you'll see......

    That's all well and good, but I think many people are just glad to finally see those legos arranged in a new and creative way that's, for many, just all together fun for a change. We've been looking at the same lego structure for years (as well as sloppy lego structures that tried to imitate one particular structure). I've personally been jaded and disappointed with almost everything since EQ, so to actually have fun in an MMO after so long is very refreshing.

    If curmudgeons need to hate on that they're more than welcome to, nothings for everyone. For me it's a relief to feel something other than disgust towards what MMOs have become, so I'm going to enjoy that while it lasts, whether it's just a few months or longer. I'm sure I'll be back on the other side of the fence at some point in the future (hopefully far in the future), and I'm sure that when I am I'll miss the feeling of actually enjoting something, so I might as well make the most of this while it lasts. :) 

    Also, anyone who's expecting more than just 'Legos arranged differently', might be looking in the wrong place. Like scenes in movie or words in a book, there are only so many way's to interact with and arrange a video game. Yet we're all completely aware that there are still GOOD books (even after centuries of arrangement) and bad books, GOOD films and bad films, depending on taste. 

    I'm not going to say a book was bad because it just had rearranged words in it, that'd be naive. And likewise it'd be foolish to draw the same comparison with games.

    Exactly. People tend to undervalue presentation.

    When people say a game is a WoW clone, its oftentimes because the game is presented in the same way as WoW. GW2 attempts to present the mechanics in a new and exciting way. A way which I found incredibly engaging.

  • VaultarVaultar adelaidePosts: 339Member

    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

    I'm feeling it. I don't know that it isn't temporary, but I had a sub and it's been canceled. I've been playing f2ps as well, they're uninstalled. It's not that I don't like those games, I just find that as I get older, I begin to realize just what a HUGE waste of time video games are. I need to be so entertained by what I'm playing, that I can forget that fact. After that beta weekend, nothing is quite measuring up for me. 

    Pity, I just dropped some money on a bunch of PS3 games last week, too. One's still in plastic. Couldn't be less interested.

    I've actually *gasp* cleaned my house and picked up a book to read, for lack of anything better to do. Until the next beta, at least.

    I feel pretty much like this too to the point where I keep feeling GW2 may well be my last game I'll ever play...until Anet comes up with something else ofc :P.

    But seriously all those single player rpg games, fps games, strategy games...I am just not interested in save maybe for Torchlight 2 which should help kill a bit of time until GW2 gets released. Knowing myself though, the entertainment from Torchlight 2 will be shortlived. I just get bored of games so quickly a few hours in. Just need something completely refreshing, long-lasting and social in my game and I always feel GW2 is the game that will satisfy these criterias.

    Until then, I just really don't care about whats out there in the market. All I want is GW2.

     

    Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

  • NethermancerNethermancer Toronto, ONPosts: 520Member

    Its not the "new game effect" I have played every beta of every North American MMO since EQ and this is the only time since vanilla WoW that I was REALLY excited for a game after playing beta.

    I mean if you dont like it thats fine.....but to pretend your some wise man that knows us better then we do is a little bit ridiculous.

    When i played TERA for example i thought to myself for the first 10 minutes "this is awesome!!!" Then i realized it was teh DCOU effect kicking in and i quickly became bored. But this does NOT mean I know that other pople who like it are not being geniune.

     

    Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

  • CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 asdasd, INPosts: 568Member

    "its been called the gw2 effect"

     

    so how long is it gonna take gw2 to suffer the swtor effect.you know,the community hyping the game like its the 2nd coming of christ and then the game ends up flopping because people went into it with a bit to much hope

     

  • wrightstufwrightstuf Carlsbad, CAPosts: 655Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

    "its been called the gw2 effect"

     

    so how long is it gonna take gw2 to suffer the swtor effect.you know,the community hyping the game like its the 2nd coming of christ and then the game ends up flopping because people went into it with a bit to much hope

     

    Its not hype any more...people have played it

  • MonorojoMonorojo San Diego, CAPosts: 411Member

    It is funny, playing GW2 with its horrible ability delay and empty promises of innovation in questing when they are just the same old quests with a slight spin made me yearn for WoW again.

     

    Too each their own i guess.

  • AutemOxAutemOx Fullerton, CAPosts: 1,704Member
    Over the weekend I played more minecraft than gw2, but for some reason now that I cant play GW2, nothing else seems good to me...

    Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

  • MonorojoMonorojo San Diego, CAPosts: 411Member

    Originally posted by wrightstuf

    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

    "its been called the gw2 effect"

     

    so how long is it gonna take gw2 to suffer the swtor effect.you know,the community hyping the game like its the 2nd coming of christ and then the game ends up flopping because people went into it with a bit to much hope

     

    Its not hype any more...people have played it

    It is still hype. Playing one weekend tells you nothing about the longevity of the game, especially consdiering practically no one experienced anything past the first 20 or so levels.

    I played for a few hours and failed to see the hook whatsoever. If you are not into PvP, the PvE wil not keep you for very long. The game will become rather ghostlike in a few months I assume.

     

     

  • wrightstufwrightstuf Carlsbad, CAPosts: 655Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Monorojo

    It is funny, playing GW2 with its horrible ability delay and empty promises of innovation in questing when they are just the same old quests with a slight spin made me yearn for WoW again.

     

    Too each their own i guess.

    I got it too i'm afraid. I finally forced my self to boot up Tera. Was swimming across water and tried to duck under to check out the scenery...sigh, oh well :p

     

    and this Tera fan is knocking GW2 quests...um, ok

  • Angier2758Angier2758 Mt. Prospect, ILPosts: 1,011Member

    You guys know this happens with every game you're psyched about right?

     

    It's not called the GW2 effect... you guys act like this is your first rodeo.

  • wrightstufwrightstuf Carlsbad, CAPosts: 655Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Angier2758

    You guys know this happens with every game you're psyched about right?

     

    It's not called the GW2 effect... you guys act like this is your first rodeo.

    I dont know about rodeo, but i do recall having to escort some cows

  • lokiboardlokiboard Chico, CAPosts: 195Member Common

    Originally posted by Valkaern

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by heartless

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by lonewolf1980

    My 2 brothers and i loved the game. it's ran great for us. No crashes only 1 chat bug out of 3 days, and relog fixes everythings. This game will be the game of the year. GW2 is the ONLY fun game in the market that not a wow's clone game, we'll be playing in the next beta ( soon, i hope ) with alot of friends. Hope to see u all in game.

     

    ps: Why are there so many hate threads about gw2? is it cool to hate everythings? it's must be cool to hate life, gw2, air, foods.

    Its to counter punch the nauseating fanboi posts from the GW2 sales reps here going overboard....The Game is nothing NEW......Face it.....There are only so many ways the keyboard/mouse/controller can be utilized in a 2d/3d computer game...Other then jacking in (Strange Days ref.) Its going to be more of the same old same old.....I predict that sometime in the near future you people will realize this and be less inclined to jump on the bandwagons you hitch yourselves to.  Don't worry, like women(or men for the ladies on here) , another one will be around shortly.......image

    If you honestly don't see what this game brings to the genre, you obviously have not played it. I'm not going to try to explain why you're wrong, it will be a wasted effort but needless to say, you are.

    I played it and saw nothing new that hasn't been done in GW1 or other games......You can mix the leggos into different patterns all you like and delude yourself into thinking you have something new, but all you really have is leggos.....  Play more games and you'll see......

    That's all well and good, but I think many people are just glad to finally see those legos arranged in a new and creative way that's, for many, just all together fun for a change. We've been looking at the same lego structure for years (as well as sloppy lego structures that tried to imitate one particular structure). I've personally been jaded and disappointed with almost everything since EQ, so to actually have fun in an MMO after so long is very refreshing.

    If curmudgeons need to hate on that they're more than welcome to, nothings for everyone. For me it's a relief to feel something other than disgust towards what MMOs have become, so I'm going to enjoy that while it lasts, whether it's just a few months or longer. I'm sure I'll be back on the other side of the fence at some point in the future (hopefully far in the future), and I'm sure that when I am I'll miss the feeling of actually enjoting something, so I might as well make the most of this while it lasts. :) 

    Also, anyone who's expecting more than just 'Legos arranged differently', might be looking in the wrong place. Like scenes in movie or words in a book, there are only so many way's to interact with and arrange a video game. Yet we're all completely aware that there are still GOOD books (even after centuries of arrangement) and bad books, GOOD films and bad films, depending on taste. 

    I'm not going to say a book was bad because it just had rearranged words in it, that'd be naive. And likewise it'd be foolish to draw the same comparison with games.

    Good points...I like to use analogies....Here is another one....Quit trying to sell buckets of poop to sanitation workers....

    Now, before the flaming arrows are launched , did anyone else get tired of the Pavlovian Dog-like awards constantly popping up in the corner of the screen telling them they just finished the same area quest that they had finished umpteen times before?.......I swear I could see a picture in my mind of kids in a trance, running arround being conditioned by all the shiny medal giving / positive opperant conditioning, to salivate everytime they see the letter GW2 flashed in front of them...Did the mere mention of a shiny cyber HERO medals popping up in the corner of your screen make you salivate?image  Just some observations, a little critical thinking I believe....I could be wrong. 

  • CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 asdasd, INPosts: 568Member

    Originally posted by wrightstuf

    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

    "its been called the gw2 effect"

     

    so how long is it gonna take gw2 to suffer the swtor effect.you know,the community hyping the game like its the 2nd coming of christ and then the game ends up flopping because people went into it with a bit to much hope

     

    Its not hype any more...people have played it

     

    yeah,they played the beta

    big deal

     

     

  • CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 asdasd, INPosts: 568Member

    Originally posted by Angier2758

    You guys know this happens with every game you're psyched about right?

     

    It's not called the GW2 effect... you guys act like this is your first rodeo.

     

    ya,i bet 95 percent of the complainers that left swtor were the same ones that were the ones that drank the bioware flavored kool aid and thought the game was gonna be this great mmo

    me personally? i think ill pass,on both biowares kool aid and arenanets kool aid

     

     

  • NBlitzNBlitz ZwollePosts: 1,904Member

    Originally posted by Sigilaea

     

    I'll be playing 2 games for the foreseeable future: Tera and GW2. GW2 is for my exploration craving. Haven't had an itch this bad since WoW, and UO before that.

    Me too! My goodness it was so much fun and I completed all of Queensdale to 100%. Took me the whole weekend but I took my time!

    Also went exploring the whole of Lion's Arch. Probably my most favorite area, slightly above Queensdale.

    I'm nuts over the good underwater gameplay. I miss that so much in many games nowadays.

  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Boise, IDPosts: 351Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by Valkaern

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by heartless

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by lonewolf1980

    My 2 brothers and i loved the game. it's ran great for us. No crashes only 1 chat bug out of 3 days, and relog fixes everythings. This game will be the game of the year. GW2 is the ONLY fun game in the market that not a wow's clone game, we'll be playing in the next beta ( soon, i hope ) with alot of friends. Hope to see u all in game.

     

    ps: Why are there so many hate threads about gw2? is it cool to hate everythings? it's must be cool to hate life, gw2, air, foods.

    Its to counter punch the nauseating fanboi posts from the GW2 sales reps here going overboard....The Game is nothing NEW......Face it.....There are only so many ways the keyboard/mouse/controller can be utilized in a 2d/3d computer game...Other then jacking in (Strange Days ref.) Its going to be more of the same old same old.....I predict that sometime in the near future you people will realize this and be less inclined to jump on the bandwagons you hitch yourselves to.  Don't worry, like women(or men for the ladies on here) , another one will be around shortly.......image

    If you honestly don't see what this game brings to the genre, you obviously have not played it. I'm not going to try to explain why you're wrong, it will be a wasted effort but needless to say, you are.

    I played it and saw nothing new that hasn't been done in GW1 or other games......You can mix the leggos into different patterns all you like and delude yourself into thinking you have something new, but all you really have is leggos.....  Play more games and you'll see......

    That's all well and good, but I think many people are just glad to finally see those legos arranged in a new and creative way that's, for many, just all together fun for a change. We've been looking at the same lego structure for years (as well as sloppy lego structures that tried to imitate one particular structure). I've personally been jaded and disappointed with almost everything since EQ, so to actually have fun in an MMO after so long is very refreshing.

    If curmudgeons need to hate on that they're more than welcome to, nothings for everyone. For me it's a relief to feel something other than disgust towards what MMOs have become, so I'm going to enjoy that while it lasts, whether it's just a few months or longer. I'm sure I'll be back on the other side of the fence at some point in the future (hopefully far in the future), and I'm sure that when I am I'll miss the feeling of actually enjoting something, so I might as well make the most of this while it lasts. :) 

    Also, anyone who's expecting more than just 'Legos arranged differently', might be looking in the wrong place. Like scenes in movie or words in a book, there are only so many way's to interact with and arrange a video game. Yet we're all completely aware that there are still GOOD books (even after centuries of arrangement) and bad books, GOOD films and bad films, depending on taste. 

    I'm not going to say a book was bad because it just had rearranged words in it, that'd be naive. And likewise it'd be foolish to draw the same comparison with games.

    Good points...I like to use analogies....Here is another one....Quit trying to sell buckets of poop to sanitation workers....

    Now, before the flaming arrows are launched , did anyone else get tired of the Pavlovian Dog-like awards constantly popping up in the corner of the screen telling them they just finished the same area quest that they had finished umpteen times before?.......I swear I could see a picture in my mind of kids in a trance, running arround being conditioned by all the shiny medal giving / positive opperant conditioning, to salivate everytime they see the letter GW2 flashed in front of them...Did the mere mention of a shiny cyber HERO medals popping up in the corner of your screen make you salivate?image  Just some observations, a little critical thinking I believe....I could be wrong. 

    LOL the funny thing about what you said is that its the only thing keeping poeple playing WOW, Rift, SWtOR, TERA,  what do you think gear grind is?  What do you think raids are?  What do you think that does to a person.  Its all the raiders, and other grinders that are conditioned to salivate.  And the funny thing is that you don't see it.  Well perhaps not funny more sad but still.  

  • TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon

    Actually the game hasn't grabbed me yet but I will still give it more time and keep an open mind. I"m not simply sold on games so easily anymore until I put a month or more playtime into them.

     

    Lotro to me is still worth popping back into as well. Different game style with a different story. Lotro is basically your typical themepark but even to this day it still manages to do it "differently" than most the rest. At least that is refreshing. Personaly I hope Turbine goes back to their origin some day. Truly I do hope GW2 grabs me at some point though. 

    You stay sassy!

  • AzurealAzureal PerthPosts: 236Member

     but all you really have is leggos.....

    Its Lego you infidel.

     

    The word Lego is both singular and plural. You can have a piece of Lego. You can have a box of Lego. Its Lego.

     

    Jesus christ have mercy.

     

    Also, GW2 is awesome.

    PAST: UO-SWG-DAOC-WOW-DDO-VG-AOC-WAR-FE-DFO-LOTRO-RIFT-GW2
    PRESENT: Nothing
    FUTURE: ESO

  • wrightstufwrightstuf Carlsbad, CAPosts: 655Member Uncommon

    You know, its quite possible that "the gw2 effect" is a government conspiracy to control our minds.

    I would direct you to this site for some food for thought...

         http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/mass_mind_control.htm

  • brutality123brutality123 LondonPosts: 125Member
    same thing happened with swtor and other betas. GW2 effect..  like this doesn't happen to everyone hyped up by any game.
  • DannyGloverDannyGlover Portland, ORPosts: 1,277Member

    You know whats weird? Uncharted Waters Online has been slowly winning me over the past few weeks to the point where I couldn't really care less about any big new MMO on the horizon. Who woulda guessed it heh.

    I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

  • AzurealAzureal PerthPosts: 236Member

    Originally posted by brutality123

    same thing happened with swtor and other betas. GW2 effect..  like this doesn't happen to everyone hyped up by any game.

    Bzzt...wrong! After beta testing AoC, I knew it was shit. SWG didnt interest before it released, I bought it anyway and have never been more disappointed. The hype youre hearing now about GH2 though? The stuff people are saying after actually having been ingame? Thats as real as it gets. Even in its current state, its a damn fine game. Divinity's Reach alone puts any zone in SWG to shame, and its a starter city. It feels alive, its fun to explore, you WANT to see all of it.

     

    The game is big, beautiful and fun.

     

    Hype justified.

    PAST: UO-SWG-DAOC-WOW-DDO-VG-AOC-WAR-FE-DFO-LOTRO-RIFT-GW2
    PRESENT: Nothing
    FUTURE: ESO

  • MonorojoMonorojo San Diego, CAPosts: 411Member

    Originally posted by DannyGlover

    You know whats weird? Uncharted Waters Online has been slowly winning me over the past few weeks to the point where I couldn't really care less about any big new MMO on the horizon. Who woulda guessed it heh.

    I have had a lot more fun in Uncharted Waters Online than GW2, that is for sure. That is where I can agre with you wholeheartedly.

  • lokiboardlokiboard Chico, CAPosts: 195Member Common

    Originally posted by TheYear1500

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by Valkaern

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by heartless

    Originally posted by lokiboard

    Originally posted by lonewolf1980

    My 2 brothers and i loved the game. it's ran great for us. No crashes only 1 chat bug out of 3 days, and relog fixes everythings. This game will be the game of the year. GW2 is the ONLY fun game in the market that not a wow's clone game, we'll be playing in the next beta ( soon, i hope ) with alot of friends. Hope to see u all in game.

     

    ps: Why are there so many hate threads about gw2? is it cool to hate everythings? it's must be cool to hate life, gw2, air, foods.

    Its to counter punch the nauseating fanboi posts from the GW2 sales reps here going overboard....The Game is nothing NEW......Face it.....There are only so many ways the keyboard/mouse/controller can be utilized in a 2d/3d computer game...Other then jacking in (Strange Days ref.) Its going to be more of the same old same old.....I predict that sometime in the near future you people will realize this and be less inclined to jump on the bandwagons you hitch yourselves to.  Don't worry, like women(or men for the ladies on here) , another one will be around shortly.......image

    If you honestly don't see what this game brings to the genre, you obviously have not played it. I'm not going to try to explain why you're wrong, it will be a wasted effort but needless to say, you are.

    I played it and saw nothing new that hasn't been done in GW1 or other games......You can mix the leggos into different patterns all you like and delude yourself into thinking you have something new, but all you really have is leggos.....  Play more games and you'll see......

    That's all well and good, but I think many people are just glad to finally see those legos arranged in a new and creative way that's, for many, just all together fun for a change. We've been looking at the same lego structure for years (as well as sloppy lego structures that tried to imitate one particular structure). I've personally been jaded and disappointed with almost everything since EQ, so to actually have fun in an MMO after so long is very refreshing.

    If curmudgeons need to hate on that they're more than welcome to, nothings for everyone. For me it's a relief to feel something other than disgust towards what MMOs have become, so I'm going to enjoy that while it lasts, whether it's just a few months or longer. I'm sure I'll be back on the other side of the fence at some point in the future (hopefully far in the future), and I'm sure that when I am I'll miss the feeling of actually enjoting something, so I might as well make the most of this while it lasts. :) 

    Also, anyone who's expecting more than just 'Legos arranged differently', might be looking in the wrong place. Like scenes in movie or words in a book, there are only so many way's to interact with and arrange a video game. Yet we're all completely aware that there are still GOOD books (even after centuries of arrangement) and bad books, GOOD films and bad films, depending on taste. 

    I'm not going to say a book was bad because it just had rearranged words in it, that'd be naive. And likewise it'd be foolish to draw the same comparison with games.

    Good points...I like to use analogies....Here is another one....Quit trying to sell buckets of poop to sanitation workers....

    Now, before the flaming arrows are launched , did anyone else get tired of the Pavlovian Dog-like awards constantly popping up in the corner of the screen telling them they just finished the same area quest that they had finished umpteen times before?.......I swear I could see a picture in my mind of kids in a trance, running arround being conditioned by all the shiny medal giving / positive opperant conditioning, to salivate everytime they see the letter GW2 flashed in front of them...Did the mere mention of a shiny cyber HERO medals popping up in the corner of your screen make you salivate?image  Just some observations, a little critical thinking I believe....I could be wrong. 

    LOL the funny thing about what you said is that its the only thing keeping poeple playing WOW, Rift, SWtOR, TERA,  what do you think gear grind is?  What do you think raids are?  What do you think that does to a person.  Its all the raiders, and other grinders that are conditioned to salivate.  And the funny thing is that you don't see it.  Well perhaps not funny more sad but still.  

    I  was commenting more on the annoying and obvious brainwashing going on, but you took my comment in another direction......Good for you.

  • lokiboardlokiboard Chico, CAPosts: 195Member Common

    Originally posted by Azureal

     but all you really have is leggos.....

    Its Lego you infidel.

     

    The word Lego is both singular and plural. You can have a piece of Lego. You can have a box of Lego. Its Lego.

     

    Jesus christ have mercy.

     

    Also, GW2 is awesome.

    I must have had Eggos for breakfast, now lego my ego..... image   BTW, these are informal, public forums NOT dissertations so a removal of said stick from ones rear is in order............Correction Troll Banishment Spell  <poof>   Also known as the block feature......

Sign In or Register to comment.