Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a few screenshots =]

Comments

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

AWESOME ART STYLE in GW2 !

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Haha here's some of mine:

Stonemist Castle -- My guild owns it

Part of the beta finale:

I like this one (you'll catch the reference if you played GW1):

Destroyers!:

One battle taking place in WvW:

I wish I would've gotten some screenshots where my server defended stonemist castle from both red and green at the same time! My guild held onto it all day! I also wish I would've taken a pic of the last battle where members of my guild were lined up along the edge of the 3rd floor of stonemist castle waiting to rain down spells, AoE, mortar rounds, and arrows on attackers trying to get into the keep. It was epic.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Originally posted by Kuppa

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Originally posted by hpisti

Looks like crap compared to Tera.

Tera is finished, this one is CB.

Also, as mentioned in their dev notes, this version had high-res textures disabled, the engine was optimized for CPU only and used Dx9 only.

Well that makes sense.  What doesn't make sense is everyone saying "Oh wow that's beautiful" when clearly it's crap.

I guess people are just seeing things through gw2 fanboi glasses or something.

Sounds like you're on a mission...

No, just participating in the TERA vs. GW2 debate that's going on and is bound to increase as GW2 gets closer to launch.

Everyone is saying the pictures are so beautiful when clearly to anyone reasonable they look dated.  There's a reason they look dated.  Someone said that they only are using dx9 and have not implemented high rez textures.  Well, that makes sense and it is the reason the pics in the first post are so bad.  I thought initially that those were examples of the best GW2 is going to have to offer.  Clearly that's wrong.

Originally posted by RodimusPrime

Originally posted by Eir_S

imageOk, here.

Awwwwww.. if I had a daughter, I know I would give her Tera for her birthday.

This isn't much better:

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/includes/images/screenshots/asura/asura-01.jpg

Those goblins really look like something out of wow to me.  Look how jagged and pointy everything is.

compare with (click them to englarge):

image or if you guys are just so manly you can't deal with anything cute being in a game then this oneimage.  It can even get so manly and uncute that you can't tell wtf is giong on with the guys armor like shown here:image.

Anyway, this thread has been interesting.  It's clear there are many of you that are REALLY into GW2.  That's cool that's happened to me on a bunch of launches.  But graphics quality is pretty easy to compare, and at least right now you guys have to admit TERA looks better.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Yup, less polygons on the character models in GW2 than in TERA. It's supposed to help facilitate WVW combat without blowing up your PC.
  • indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

Also, as mentioned in their dev notes, this version had high-res textures disabled, the engine was optimized for CPU only and used Dx9 only.

Well that makes sense.  What doesn't make sense is everyone saying "Oh wow that's beautiful" when clearly it's crap.

No, just participating in the TERA vs. GW2 debate that's going on and is bound to increase as GW2 gets closer to launch.

Everyone is saying the pictures are so beautiful when clearly to anyone reasonable they look dated.  There's a reason they look dated.  Someone said that they only are using dx9 and have not implemented high rez textures.  Well, that makes sense and it is the reason the pics in the first post are so bad.  I thought initially that those were examples of the best GW2 is going to have to offer.  Clearly that's wrong.

I want to correct something you mentioned earlier in the thread... when you said "well you guys are focusing too much on the art style." You do realize what makes the game beautiful and alive are not the graphics and polygons that go into it but the style, direction, and aesthetic appeal. THAT is what makes it have good graphics.

Sure, I can say a game like the original Super Mario has horrible graphics but the style and aethestics of the game are what make it fantastic to be in regardless of whether or not it has graphics that are purely oversized pixels.

Tera's world while beatiful is a high contrast world with bright colors. Because of this some of the screenshots and parts of the world look very cartoony and very unrealistic as well as having a dull lifeless look to it. The direction they took for Guild Wars 2 is more realistic allowing it to play and be more lenient in the way that colors are presented onto the screen.

The art style ArenaNet has taken with Guild Wars 2 is better - in general - than the direction En Masse took with TERA. It doesn't matter if the graphics are FANTASTIC if the world is lifeless, dull, and does nothing to enhance the gameplay experience.

I mean just look at FFXIV - the graphics are outstanding... the world is lifeless and dull. No one cares how great the graphics are if the world you play in is not inspiring to be in.

Originally posted by colddog04

Yup, less polygons on the character models in GW2 than in TERA. It's supposed to help facilitate WVW combat without blowing up your PC.

Ah, I see.  Well, I suppose that's a decent reason, but I gotta say that TERA's engine can display a whole bunch of people on screen without any problems, much more so then in other games I've played.  

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by colddog04

Ah, I see.  Well, I suppose that's a decent reason, but I gotta say that TERA's engine can display a whole bunch of people on screen without any problems, much more so then in other games I've played.  

Yeah, I suppose that depends on your hardware.

Originally posted by indojabijin

I want to correct something you mentioned earlier in the thread... when you said "well you guys are focusing too much on the art style." You do realize what makes the game beautiful and alive are not the graphics and polygons that go into it but the style, direction, and aesthetic appeal. THAT is what makes it have good graphics.

Sure, I can say a game like the original Super Mario has horrible graphics but the style and aethestics of the game are what make it fantastic to be in regardless of whether or not it has graphics that are purely oversized pixels.

Tera's world while beatiful is a high contrast world with bright colors. Because of this some of the screenshots and parts of the world look very cartoony and very unrealistic as well as having a dull lifeless look to it. The direction they took for Guild Wars 2 is more realistic allowing it to play and be more lenient in the way that colors are presented onto the screen.

The art style ArenaNet has taken with Guild Wars 2 is better - in general - than the direction En Masse took with TERA. It doesn't matter if the graphics are FANTASTIC if the world is lifeless, dull, and does nothing to enhance the gameplay experience.

I mean just look at FFXIV - the graphics are outstanding... the world is lifeless and dull. No one cares how great the graphics are if the world you play in is not inspiring to be in.

I have yet to see a dull and lifeless looking pic from a TERA screenshot.  However, the original pics of bridges and steps in this thread do seem rather dull and lifeless.

How can you say something is high contrast and bright and dull at the same time.  In any case, the world in TERA is awesome.  There's tons of detail and leaves falling and all kind of cool stuff.

I can understand if they're going for epic 100 vs 100 battles or whatever, you have to keep the poly count down.  That makes sense.  But some people in this thread are oohing and aahing over something that is clearly not going to be the strength of the game (the graphics).  You can't have epic huge battles and great graphics.  Nothing wrong with going with one or the other but people here are pretending GW2 has both.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

imageOk, here.

This isn't much better:

Those goblins really look like something out of wow to me.  Look how jagged and pointy everything is.

image or if you guys are just so manly you can't deal with anything cute being in a game then this oneimage.  It can even get so manly and uncute that you can't tell wtf is giong on with the guys armor like shown here:image.

Anyway, this thread has been interesting.  It's clear there are many of you that are REALLY into GW2.  That's cool that's happened to me on a bunch of launches.  But graphics quality is pretty easy to compare, and at least right now you guys have to admit TERA looks better.

I like how you compare very early models of asura that are OBVIOUSLY not finished and compare it to a game that has been out a year and yes is very beautiful but the game is crap. You say the elin are cute... I think you have issues.. Tera sexualizes children. Elin are the bodies of 8 yr old girls wearing next to nothing and talking with the voices of mature women.. When I heard the voice I thought "cougar" and then was shocked to see who it came from. Tera recycles models over and over again and hell.. the L3 team who made Tera even copied the orcs(enemies not playable orcs) from L2! No wonder they got sued and lost!

I have yet to see a dull and lifeless looking pic from a TERA screenshot.  However, the original pics of bridges and steps and whatnot do seem rather dull and lifeless.

How can you say something is high contrast and bright and dull at the same time.  In any case, the world in TERA is awesome.  There's tons of detail and leaves falling and all kind of cool stuff.

I don't find that the original pictures are lifeless and dull because it's all cohesive. It looks like it's supposed to be there and the background blends in perfectly creating an image that is easy on the eyes and nothing looks out of place. TERA's world is usually bright colors smacked with a odd, blurry background that looks like it can be changed to whatever the hell it wants because it doesn't look like it belonged there in the first place.

But admittedly TERA's style is much more on a different spectrum than what Guild Wars is going for. There is simply no way to say I prefer realism versus fantasy or vice versa. It works for TERA because of it's character models (no matter how horrible they are). Just like how it works for GW2 because of the direction of it's characters.

Apples to oranges I say. You may prefer one or the other but it would be silly to compare when they both aesthetically are not the same.

Poly count means nothing. The original Guild Wars is dated and yet the world is still visually stunning compared to games like FFXIV or SWTOR. Just because they technically have better graphics doesn't mean it looks better or is better in general.

Originally posted by ariboersma

imageOk, here.

This isn't much better:

I like how you compare very early models of asura that are OBVIOUSLY not finished and compare it to a game that has been out a year and yes is very beautiful but the game is crap. You say the elin are cute... I think you have issues.. Tera sexualizes children. Elin are the bodies of 8 yr old girls wearing next to nothing and talking with the voices of mature women.. When I heard the voice I thought "cougar" and then was shocked to see who it came from. Tera recycles models over and over again and hell.. the L3 team who made Tera even copied the orcs(enemies not playable orcs) from L2! No wonder they got sued and lost!

The Elin thing is a bit weird and pervy, for sure.  Btw, you can choose out of 5 voices and my elin definitely sounds like a little girl for sure.

They're the fastest race so the best pic for sorcerer (who in TERA actually has to be highly mobile unlike every other mmorpg).  Plus it's a fantasy game and elin is about as far away from the real me as you can get, so it's fun in that way.  There are some real pervs playing the game to be all pervy with the Elins too, though.  I joined a guild for Elins and had to drop cause a lot of the guys were all pedos.

At least you admit it's very beautiful.  I have to disagree the game is crap as I'm having tons of fun with the action combat, but to each his own.

This whole thing started just cause I said it looks like crap compared to TERA.  Which they do.  For a good reason though.

When GW2 comes out I'll probably buy it.  I like PVP a lot in mmos and massive warfare sounds like a lot of fun.  

I didn't realize this thread was intended to be a Tera vs GW2 debate. I thought it was just a thread about GW2 screenshots. Please take this GW2 vs Tera debate to another thread! 

I have yet to see a dull and lifeless looking pic from a TERA screenshot.  However, the original pics of bridges and steps and whatnot do seem rather dull and lifeless.

I don't find that the original pictures are lifeless and dull because it's all cohesive. It looks like it's supposed to be there and the background blends in perfectly creating an image that is easy on the eyes and nothing looks out of place. TERA's world is usually bright colors smacked with a odd, blurry background that looks like it can be changed to whatever the hell it wants because it doesn't look like it belonged there in the first place.

But admittedly TERA's style is much more on a different spectrum than what Guild Wars is going for. There is simply no way to say I prefer realism versus fantasy or vice versa. It works for TERA because of it's character models (no matter how horrible they are). Just like how it works for GW2 because of the direction of it's characters.

Apples to oranges I say. You may prefer one or the other but it would be silly to compare when they both aesthetically are not the same.

Poly count means nothing. The original Guild Wars is dated and yet the world is still visually stunning compared to games like FFXIV or SWTOR. Just because they technically have better graphics doesn't mean it looks better or is better in general.

FFXIV had the best graphics I've ever seen in an MMO (and many agree), while SWTOR had some of the worst (many agree).  Lumping them together seems weird.  I don't know it just seems pretty funny to me to say, "Well, "technically" it looks better, but I don't think it looks better."  Also, I'm just not seeing anything in the pics that seems to be breaking any kind of mold for pure aesthetics.  Medieval fantasy has been done many times and it looks to be pretty standard fare.

FFXIV had the best graphics I've ever seen in an MMO (and many agree), while SWTOR had some of the worst (many agree).  Lumping them together seems weird.  I don't know it just seems pretty funny to me to say, "Well, "technically" it looks better, but I don't think it looks better."  Also, I'm just not seeing anything in the pics that seems to be breaking any kind of mold for pure aesthetics.

FFXIV has GREAT graphics. Yes. I agree. However because of the direction they took it too (such as copy/pasting terrain, lifeless character models, lifeless world in general) it really lowers the value of the graphics. The graphics are impressive but the world is not visually stunning or exciting to look at because everything is so dull. The graphics of Super Mario are complete and utter crap but the world is exciting to be in and the game in amazsing.

There's much more to graphics than just polygons. Everything contributes to graphics -- including gameplay. You can have the most graphically advanced game in the world yet not feel inspired to play in it because while it is technically better than it's competition doesn't really mean it will portray athestically better.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

snip

The Elin thing is a bit weird and pervy, for sure.  Btw, you can choose out of 5 voices and my elin definitely sounds like a little girl for sure.

They're the fastest race so the best pic for sorcerer (who in TERA actually has to be highly mobile unlike every other mmorpg).

At least you admit it's very beautiful.  I have to disagree the game is crap as I'm having tons of fun with the action combat, but to each his own.

This whole thing started just cause I said it looks like crap compared to TERA.  Which they do.  For a good reason though.

When GW2 comes out I'll probably buy it.  I like PVP a lot in mmos and massive warfare sounds like a lot of fun.  

I was speaking of Elin NPCs and how when I played I had to deal with a guild called Elin Cream Pie spamming for recruits.

GW2 EVERYONE has to be mobile.. in Tera you have no choice to BE mobile for most situations as you are locked in place once you decide to do something.. I will use the example I use everytime.. Mystic.. teleport teleports you a ways in front of you, but then you cannot move at all until the camera catches up to you but now the mob you escaped is right back on your heals.. and really 1, space, space, space, space just isnt fun combat. Oh wait sometimes its left click, space, space, right click, space, space.

GW2 does not look like crap compared to Tera, it looks different. I personally think Tera looks better but not by a huge margin.

Originally posted by ariboersma

snip

They're the fastest race so the best pic for sorcerer (who in TERA actually has to be highly mobile unlike every other mmorpg).

I was speaking of Elin NPCs and how when I played I had to deal with a guild called Elin Cream Pie spamming for recruits.

GW2 EVERYONE has to be mobile.. in Tera you have no choice to BE mobile for most situations as you are locked in place once you decide to do something.. I will use the example I use everytime.. Mystic.. teleport teleports you a ways in front of you, but then you cannot move at all until the camera catches up to you but now the mob you escaped is right back on your heals.. and really 1, space, space, space, space just isnt fun combat. Oh wait sometimes its left click, space, space, right click, space, space.

GW2 does not look like crap compared to Tera, it looks different. I personally think Tera looks better but not by a huge margin.

What you describe is nothing like a sorcerer's playstyle, or a berzerker's playstyle, the two classes I have played so far.  In fact I'm not sure how much it is like any classes playstyle.  How far did you get in the game?  From what I've read, Mystics have the most abilities in the game so obviously there's going to be a lot more than just doing combos from base attacks.

Tera's combat is the least repetative of any MMO to date because you have to react to what the NPC or player is doing and aim.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Did I miss the reply where someone should be directing this yahoo to the Tera forums?

Wait, why is he here again? Is he thinking his personal opinion is going to reshape the fabric of everyone's existence and suddenly we all are going to be thinking like him?

Wake me when that happens.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Tamanous

Did I miss the reply where someone should be directing this yahoo to the Tera forums?

Wait, why is he here again? Is he thinking his personal opinion is going to reshape the fabric of everyone's existence and suddenly we all are going to be thinking like him?

I'm just responding to people responding to me.  

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

That is being generous to Guild Wars 2. TERA looks about 10-20X better.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Originally posted by Tamanous

I'm just responding to people responding to me.  

Do you really think that more words puts an end to this. Your point was made 15 essays ago and you still think you are changing minds? Why is it important to you to change minds? You invest in the development of Tera?

You stay sassy!

I'll post it again: Lets move this to the tera vs gw2 topic if it's still open. This thread is for screenshots of GW2. Let's not get the topic locked because it's severly off topic.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Hey only you say they look dated.  I Think they look gorgeous and mesmerizing plus it is the best combination of Ambiance and breath taking appeal to ever hit the market.  You say Tera looks awesome, I say it looks like it was designed by pedophiles for some Nambla convention.  You wont change your mind and I most certainly will never change my mind nor will I ever touch Tera with a 2730986 foot pole cause its the same crappy failed MMO on a dated concept.  So leave it at that.  We simply agree to disagree and go about our merry old posting rights like responsible gamers.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• TiloTilo Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by jackwu10

Originally posted by Mavacar

You mean it's Terrable?

i think he meant tera has better graphic than gw2

You think?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    deleted - I don't really WANT to be banned.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

This discussion has been closed.