Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class choice post Beta? Poll

NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

So Beta is officially over for this weekend. After playing some/most/all the Professions which one are you starting with at launch? Did your choice change after Beta Weekend?

I was initially going with Elementalist, but after playing Mesmer and Guardian I decided Mesmer was definitely my launch Profession of choice.

Special shout out to the MMORPG.com guild over the weekend. Had a great time with everyone.

Comments

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    ok first attempt to attach a poll failed, but I got it up this time around!
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I am going engineer for sure. I love the saboteur in Rift and the GW2 engineer feels like that. And...I was an engineer in the Army so...
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Mesmerrrrrrrr fer sher. I dabbled in the other classes but illusion spiking was just too much fun. Nothing like walking up to a group of invaders too busy to notice the illusions coming at them then BEWM! Group KO!

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    I still can't decide. I think at one point I considered buying 8 computers and just playing all of them at once. I had put Ele and Guardian as my last to try, funny thing is both started to quickly become my favorites. I still don't know. 
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/349168/Poll-Favorite-Profession.html

will be interesting to see if ranger wins again.

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

I was looking at Mesmer and Necromancer but after playing them up to level 7, I was severely disappointed at the sub par damage they did. It was a straight pain in the ass to level up their melee weapon's skill and the ranged damage they did was a joke in comparison to the Ranger I played.

I hope they get good info and ramp these classes dps cause as of now, I don't see them surviving in PvP against Rangers and Engineers.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    I always play an archer, so that wont change.  However, the mezmer's that I ran up againsit looked good to me, was confusing with them, but as time goes on I think i can pick up which one is the player pretty fast.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Originally posted by Nergle

I was looking at Mesmer and Necromancer but after playing them up to level 7, I was severely disappointed at the sub par damage they did. It was a straight pain in the ass to level up their melee weapon's skill and the ranged damage they did was a joke in comparison to the Ranger I played.

I hope they get good info and ramp these classes dps cause as of now, I don't see them surviving in PvP against Rangers and Engineers.

Necro + Staff = gg during WvW. Seriously the amount of AoE conditions and damage you can lay down on such short cooldowns is insane. I was able to keep people off the walls and from hitting our team just by constantly dropping marks everywhere they were standing. Also dropping 4 marks on a group thats hitting a door is also pretty insane. A necro and ele combo can hold off much larger waves of players. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Nergle

Yes and no, I only used Mesmer's initial setup briefly. I didn't like the sword either ; I'm not sure about that set. Scepter was interesting but, eh...

Now Staff/Greatsword, those damage values are through the roof. I wouldn't be surprised to see them nerfed a bit. Greatsword especially, the auto-attack does more damage the further away it is. At level 30 every auto attack did 180dmg and the skill where I stab the sword into the ground did 280, criting for almost 500. That's insane for this game at those levels. I wish my computer was strong enough to record while playing, there are plenty of times where champion mobs would rush at me and I didn't even have to stop, they were dead before I reached them.

Necro with a staff seemed different, though. That's what my friend was playing,  it seems more debuff than anything. But when he switched to dagger/warhorn, he was killing as fast or faster than I was.

I'm really glad to see they buffed Ranger up, though. Their terrible damage was a frequent complaint in past betas, so if you found their damage to be pretty good, then that's awesome. So far the only one that felt underwhelming damage-wise was Engineer, going by what people are saying.

EDIT - those values I mentioned were PvE btw, auto attack at max distance in pvp was about 300dmg per tick, 3 ticks.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I really think I'm going to stick with the Warrior.  It's usually the first class I level in an MMO anyway, but this time they're really fun once you get past lvl 10 and aren't as squishy... and if you don't want to, you never have to tab target with them.
  • battlehambattleham Member UncommonPosts: 3

I'm surprised so few picked Ele. I didn't get a chance to try it since I was too fixated on my ranger, but next beta weekend I defenetely will since it was one of my initial choices.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Eir_S

I really think I'm going to stick with the Warrior.  It's usually the first class I level in an MMO anyway, but this time they're really fun once you get past lvl 10 and aren't as squishy... and if you don't want to, you never have to tab target with them.

Indeed. I was going to avoid playing the class because it is always my first, but I wasn't strong enough to avoid the temptation and it was gloriouse. War was so fun. I did enjoy the thief more than I thought I would so it will be a close second.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by battleham

I'm surprised so few picked Ele. I didn't get a chance to try it since I was too fixated on my ranger, but next weekend I defenetely will since it was one of my initial choices.

Eles are AWESOME.  I'm going to play one of them too.  So many skills and air attunement lets you use "Ride the Lightning" which literally turns you into a ball of electricity that surges forward and explodes on collision with objects or enemies.  I freaked out when I did that the first time lol

• mrhyde1428mrhyde1428 Member Posts: 57

... and if you don't want to, you never have to tab target with them.

I noticed after playing awhile, you don't ever have to tab target if playing a ranged character...unless you needed to focus on a certain mob.  Just press an attack and it auto targets the first mob in front of you :D

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by battleham

I'm surprised so few picked Ele. I didn't get a chance to try it since I was too fixated on my ranger, but next beta weekend I defenetely will since it was one of my initial choices.

My guild leader decided to pick ele since it was the class he was least interested in. He played it to 30 before trying his usual style the ranger. He has switched his main after this weekend although he has still only tried the 2 so far. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• diabisdiabis Member Posts: 35
    I found lower levels with Mesimer was fine, I got rid of the sword as soon as I found a vendor. Staff, Septor, and I had just started kicking the Great sword about. I played several classes then stayed with my Mes, because the Mes was always about how you use the skills, at level 7 when I got my weapon swap mode class was really fun just slip into one group set off a set of skill them into other set. Mes was always one of those classes you have to understand how your skills work together.  But honestly I can see fun in all classes once you get past level 7, it gives you a whole different way of playing, I do really like the skills linked to the weapon set. I took it light this weekend I wanted to take on the setup of the classes, and adventure about. I figure without a true launch date, I do not want to level out to much or the Beta weekends will begin to make me upset because I want the game live. ;-)

Look for the Rose with the Thorn.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

I giggled like a school girl when I used whirling axe for the first time. 

Cyclone axe + For Great Justice! + Whirling axe = dizzying amount of AOE dmg numbers every 25 seconds. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I started with a Norn Ranger.Ranger is my usual class.Loved it.My mistake was to try other classes.I think I've developed a split personality..Engineers are fun...elementalst are very powerful and can heal....necro's are just plain nasty.Even the assasin was fun.

So yes, leaning tward my ranger, but but frankly there are too many possible options.

One great way to access a class is to go to the mists....where you get leveled to 80 and see what the class could be like if you devoted yourself.VERY helpful.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Before BETA i was thinking of doing either Necromancer or Mesmer.  I went with the necro first since I had a lot of fun with them in GW1.  I am definitely sticking with Necromancer.   Skills like death shroud and lich form are cool since you get entirely new skill bars when they are activated.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    No i pretty much have no clue which class i'll play, same as before beta lol I tried the 3 class that seam to be the best for me, but it didn't helped :( they are all good lol. I'll probably have few class to play in this game, i think i'll have to deal with it, unless some of the class i didn't tried turn to be awesome.
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    At launch I will definitely be playing Necro.  My first alt will be Ranger.  The BWE didn't change that as I purposely didn't play either of those professions so it could be all new for me at launch.  However, I will definitely be playing a Thief at some point as that turned out to be much more fun to play than I expected.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Yeah, my alt is def going to be an Ele, had too much fun with the spell graphics. They actually have a spell that turns you into a tornado of sorts, with new attacks and all.
  • oxbakeroxbaker Member Posts: 59

On the PvP side of things Necro's seemed to be the most devastating while the least effective pvp class seemed to me to be the Eng. Maybe it was the matches I was in but they just never seemed to be able to contribute that much. But could just be that people haven't figured out how to play them yet, including myself.

Edit: I'll be rolling a Ranger I think. I found them to be kind of a more effective version of the Eng, cause I like the theory behind the Eng just not thier actual effectiveness.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by oxbaker

On the PvP side of things Necro's seemed to be the most devastating while the least effective pvp class seemed to me to be the Eng. Maybe it was the matches I was in but they just never seemed to be able to contribute that much. But could just be that people haven't figured out how to play them yet, including myself.

Edit: I'll be rolling a Ranger I think. I found them to be kind of a more effective version of the Eng, cause I like the theory behind the Eng just not thier actual effectiveness.

I found Engineer incredibly effective in PvP.

Played 27 hours with one in the beta and its by far my favourite class. Other classes didn't seem anywhere near as fun or as good to be honest though Theif wasn't bad. 

• Kingsley21Kingsley21 Member Posts: 2

Mesmer definitely. I never died because I wasn't putting out enough damage to sustain myself and 3 clones, only died when doing events and taking on multiple higher level mobs on my own instead of with the large swarm of other players. The constant 10s random buffing was also a top notch addition to the class mechanics. Many different types of illusions, and I didn't even level that high.

After Mesmer hits 80 I may roll an Elementalist, based on the feedback everyone else is providing regarding one.