Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Crafting Preview

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by tordurbar

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Originally posted by tordurbar I disagree with "The distribution of materials also seems to want to keep pace with the player level". As an Artificer and Weaponsmith the gathering modes were way ahead of my crafting level. Example - iron requires level 75 and I was level 24 at the end of the beta. Although I enjoyed some of the crafting I was disappointed that the receipes for the items (not the components) depended upon uncommon drops (exampe: vial of weak blood). I spent most of my time (I was a Norn) just building components to level my crafting skill and that only went so far. I enjoyed the discovery process but never discovered anything because I was too low in crafting level. The way that I see it is that the crafting system is meant for high level toons with a load of time on their hands. It is not meant to be used "on you way up".  That, to me, is disappointing.  

I had absolutely no problem leveling my crafting to keep pace with my character level. Every five levels offered new items for both tailor and artificer, from level 10, through 15 and on to 20 I was able to craft gear that was better than the drops I had received.

Please tell me how you did this. The only way I can see this happening is if you are part of a big guild with a lot of your buddies providing the mats you need to build the items. That is my disappointment - GW2 seems to cater for the crafting "professional" not for the "common" player.

I had no problems, either. I think, perhaps, you didn't notice that you can create sigils from a huge variety of things that drop from monsters? After you create the sigils, you can combine them with components you made to create entirely new recipes in the discoveries section. Each time you discover something, you gain a HUGE boost in craft exp. By the end of the beta, I had 2 crafting professions (Artificer and Tailor) over 100. My Tailor was at about 130. And I still had an ass load of materials sitting in storage waiting to be used, I just didn't get around to it in time.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• For those having problems getting jute, leather, ore, wood etc. be sure to use salvage kits on all looted white items and anything saying it's a salvage item in your inventory.  Sell any looted blue stuff you can't use on the Trading Post.  Between doing that and gathering nodes two of us were able to do quite a bit of crafting and could afford to buy any of the special items we needed.

I do think too much of the very low level stuff uses Vials of Blood - a bit variety would have been nice.

Somebody already pointed out that if you right click a basic crafting item you can auto send it to the bank.

Lastly an easy way to level without any special items for tailor, leatherworker, and armorsmith is to make containers.

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Please do not call a preorder to beta a public beta. Thanks.
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Thanks for the tip about sending items to your bank. I was not aware of this!

I knew about salvage, and used it, but I remained cash poor. I think my issue was that I bought the Trait book way before I was ready, plus I was dying to much, transporting to much, etc.

I was not aware of the sigil xp boost either. I could never discover anything because everything required level 25! I am sure that once I hit 25 I would have gone to level 100 easy - I had plenty of mats for higher level items. The problem was the lower level mats.

Thank you all for the tips!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    So it's the same old thing huh? gogo TSW!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394
    I loved crafting in this game, I go tmy crafting to Initiate level which is over 100.  My Armorsmithing was pretty beastly, can't wait to try other crafting.
  • dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    This tradeskill system is on par with most mmo games not so much better and not so much worse and i agree it needs a little tweeking, the system is not really inviting or as newbie friendly as it should be but its great once you get rolling..

Playing GW2..

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Just wanted to clarify a thing about discovery, an example to make it easier to understand. 

Example:

Low level Jewlery crafting (under 25 skill). Craft Copper Setting, craft Copper Hook (for earing). Place each of these in the discovery boxes along with whatever gem you have available from your hunting. In my first attempt I used Malachite Pebble, and it was a green discovery for me (skill 1 to discover) which created a Malachite Stud of Resilience (and gained the recipe for future builds of it in my list) - a level 10 to use item. Had I just completed the Simple Copper earing recipe, it would have been a level 5 item. The same Copper Setting and Copper Hook combined with a Tiger's Eye Pebble would Create a level 15 to use earing, and require a skill of 25 to discover. 

Hope that helps explain how the discovery and items you make from the components is effected by how you combine them. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• amdobrittamdobritt Member Posts: 1
    Think I will try Cooking during the next Beta.  Sounds kind of fun :)
  • nathanebhtnathanebht Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by mairic

I had two characters, one that was a weaponsmith and another that was a leatherworker. I was able to craft items that I was able to use almost constantly. And they were better than the ones I found as loot. Someone mentioned that you needed drop like, "vial of weak blood" and this might be true but I did find a way around it. If you crafted an Insignia and the hilt and blade of a weapon and then combined that into a new recipe, it crafts it for you and gives you the new recipe based on the insignia without needing the Vial of Weak Blood. It uses the insignia instead. 

I had to do it this way because for some reason the AH would not sell me any vials of weak blood but I was able to get my crafting up to about level 60 without (or barely having any) weak blood. 

Thanks for this info, Blood vials didn't drop much.

I didn't find inventory storage much of a problem. 8 slot bags were very easy to craft and teleporting wasn't too expensive.

Also, I think I got an Insignia from salvaging a green level weapon with a more expensive salvage kit.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

I disagree with "The distribution of materials also seems to want to keep pace with the player level". As an Artificer and Weaponsmith the gathering modes were way ahead of my crafting level. Example - iron requires level 75 and I was level 24 at the end of the beta. Although I enjoyed some of the crafting I was disappointed that the receipes for the items (not the components) depended upon uncommon drops (exampe: vial of weak blood). I spent most of my time (I was a Norn) just building components to level my crafting skill and that only went so far. I enjoyed the discovery process but never discovered anything because I was too low in crafting level.

The way that I see it is that the crafting system is meant for high level toons with a load of time on their hands. It is not meant to be used "on you way up".  That, to me, is disappointing.

This.  This is one of the main issues in all games, and as Guildwars has not fixed the problem, what else can matter? Crafting should always complement levelling, not counter it.  Timesink?  No, it should rival the best stuff you can loot in a game, not act like some pointless sideshow.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• knyghteknyghte Member UncommonPosts: 3
    The only thing I found disappointing about the crafting system was the gear was visually really bland.  I was hoping for my crafted stuff to stand out and make me look a bit different than everyone else.
  • aurickaurick Member Posts: 317

I was really surprised that you didn't mention the progress bar when crafting.  It takes a lot less time to craft an item in general.  But the required time decreases for each item within your queue.  

In LotRO, if you want to refine 50 leather, for example, you might as well go walk the dog or pick up a book.  In GW2, it takes just a little longer to make 50 than it would take to make 1.  

That is such a HUGE relief to me!  I've long felt that whomever concocted the idea of drawn out progress bars forcing you to do nothing while you're supposedly playing should be shot.  It's nice to see that Arena Net thought the same thing.

• GamerFunGamerFun Member Posts: 28

Played the beta for this game, it's nothing new, its boring and I'm really getting tired of instanced battle grounds for PvP. This genre is doomed for failure since everyone copies everyone and this game is very stail and dull. Developers need to use their emaginations and come up with things that aren't used over and over. I definitely won't be getting this game.

MMORPG's are a dissappointment these days, one flop after another.

MMORPG & FPS Gamer Veteran of seventeen years.

• aurickaurick Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by nathanebht

Originally posted by mairic

I had two characters, one that was a weaponsmith and another that was a leatherworker. I was able to craft items that I was able to use almost constantly. And they were better than the ones I found as loot. Someone mentioned that you needed drop like, "vial of weak blood" and this might be true but I did find a way around it. If you crafted an Insignia and the hilt and blade of a weapon and then combined that into a new recipe, it crafts it for you and gives you the new recipe based on the insignia without needing the Vial of Weak Blood. It uses the insignia instead. 

I had to do it this way because for some reason the AH would not sell me any vials of weak blood but I was able to get my crafting up to about level 60 without (or barely having any) weak blood. 

Thanks for this info, Blood vials didn't drop much.

I didn't find inventory storage much of a problem. 8 slot bags were very easy to craft and teleporting wasn't too expensive.

Also, I think I got an Insignia from salvaging a green level weapon with a more expensive salvage kit.

Another thing worth mentioning is that your vault is account-wide.  So if one character has a lot of luck finding a certain component, your other characters can easily use that component.

And speaking of the vault, common crafting materials and cooking ingredients have collections as one of your vault tabs.  Each slot within the collection can hold more than one of that items.  So the regular crafting materials can be stored there without taking up vault space.  There's just no collection for uncommon ingredients, so things like the vial of weak blood do have to use standard vault space. 

• neokoganeokoga Member Posts: 1

30 silver in the scheme of things is not a lot. I know being low level and only having a short weekend to play it sounds like a ton of money, but in the scheme of things it isn't. I'm glad crafting isn't easy mode, "hand you everything you need from the get go" garbage. That's exactly what Rift was and look how quickly crafting became utterly pointless. Instant gratification is not the goal... if you want to call that grindy that's bs but w/e I'll take crafting requiring some semblance of effort over the lame alternative any day. 

By beta's end I had just about 100 silver (1 gold?) on my main lvl 26 I made it to 98 silver then accidentally blew it all on WvW upgrades before I realized they cost money and supply lol >.<.

Let's do some math on that though. I had that much money in maybe 20 hours of play on Necro and I was spending a TON of money on other stuff like crafting mats etc as I was crafting some myself. (I got jewelcrafting to 28 and tailor to 26). I did not buy any mats on the market nor did I sell any on the market, I gathered and salvaged all my mats. 

That's anothing thing, you completely disregard or missed the point on salvaging items, I got tons of mats that way too.

But anyway in 20 hours...according to your math... I had enough silver to get 2 crafts to 50+ easily... that doesn't sound bad to me at all.... matter of fact doesn't that sound exactly on par with what crafting should be? You know, taking actual time and effort. I'm not sure what the crafting cap is... but even if it took a couple days for every 50 levels of crafting... there is not a single dang thing wrong with that.

I know crafting won't be for everyone, but like any other part of this game you have to want it to get it, and that's awesome.

Remember this game has a level cap of 80! by the mid 20s I was raking in money a lot faster and actually when I was in WvW I was making decent money as my server went on a rampage taking over blue world's home. So there are plenty of circumstances for gaining income as you progress. 

TLDR: 30 silver is not a lot at all for getting 2 crafts to 50 by any means, if anything that sounds like a bargain!

• AryanRoAryanRo Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Wish I knew you could do that mail your items to the crafting bank tab lol and I made a post bout it in gw2 forum lol...
  • trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Sorry to burst your bubble everyone here at mmorpg, but All I gotta say is Everquest 2, and Vanguard's Crafting System is more dynamic any of these systems. All these types of easy mode crafting systems are unrealistic and for people who want things handed to them on a silver platter without hardly any effort at all. I'm sure all the fanbois here won't like what I said but oh well thats their problem not mine.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think this is one weak area, I much prefer the tsw crafting, wish gw2 had gone with something more towards sandbox like that
  • MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I disagree with "The distribution of materials also seems to want to keep pace with the player level". As an Artificer and Weaponsmith the gathering modes were way ahead of my crafting level. Example - iron requires level 75 and I was level 24 at the end of the beta. Although I enjoyed some of the crafting I was disappointed that the receipes for the items (not the components) depended upon uncommon drops (exampe: vial of weak blood). I spent most of my time (I was a Norn) just building components to level my crafting skill and that only went so far. I enjoyed the discovery process but never discovered anything because I was too low in crafting level.

The key to this part is using the salvaging equipment. I found vials of weak blood in several areas, some from salvage and some from mob drops in the mists(WvWvW) .

In all if you salvage stuff you end up with a lot of mats - enough common stuff to level up crafting. In addition I imagine during release people will be using the commerce portion of the game(IE auction house) a lot more and trading your extra mats and buying the ones you need for the craft skill you want to raise will be an additional way in which to gather materials for crafting.

You can also have 3 harvesting tools equipped at the same time without taking up a weapon slot which opens up the gathering process even more.

I only dabbled in the crafting myself so I have no idea on how it will pace versus my level, however, I imagine a lot of that will come from choices made ( IE spend time crafting or spend time leveling etc) this will dictate how the two balance out more than anything else.

• LavecLavec Member UncommonPosts: 43

Originally posted by lifesbrink

The way that I see it is that the crafting system is meant for high level toons with a load of time on their hands. It is not meant to be used "on you way up".  That, to me, is disappointing.

This.  This is one of the main issues in all games, and as Guildwars has not fixed the problem, what else can matter? Crafting should always complement levelling, not counter it.  Timesink?  No, it should rival the best stuff you can loot in a game, not act like some pointless sideshow.

Did you try crafting for yourself? Have you read the replies? Because crafting DOES complement levelling in GW2. Sure you have to start right away and be vigilent to gather but it can be done. Trying 2 crafts could be costly so maybe sticking with one is better on your first play through but that's fine. With alts it will be even easier since you should have a bank full of ingredients/materials to use, not to mention wads of cash but they too can craft as they level and make useful stuff.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I normally craft in games and I also tried it during the beta weekend. But my impression was that I had to go out of my way too much to gather enough materials and especially coin to buy the resources that you can't gather yourself. It was too expensive to keep crafting viable gear for my lvl.

I'm not interested in crafting if it is too much of a moneysink or too difficult to keep usefull during lvling. So GW2 crafting is probably something I won't bother with unless some changes are made.

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

The author is being too polite... I would say that the crafting system just plain sucks at present.

1) Recipes discovering is damn boring. I would rather look up all the recipes in the net. It's like WoW "encouraging" people to search for the quest objectives failed thanks to Thotbot. The discovery system will fail the same way... we don't want to spend our time "exploring" the pre-set list of items to craft.

2) Crafting junks the inventory. Especially if you try to "experiment" with the new recipes (see no 1) as you produce lots of mats just to find out you don't need them for anything or that your skill level isn't enough to actually use them.

3) You can't use the mats from the bank (well at lest I think so). After SWTOR this is absolutely necessary feature if you care about players just a little bit.

4) IT seems like the crafting is no more useful vs. say WoW... and potentially is less useful... -((( as devs claim that you can't produce any items better than loot. Why to go crafting at all? Just for the looks of some craftable clothes?

The whole system needs to be overhauled! And devs have all the time and tools to succeed.

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92
    I think crafting is so simple. It has to be minigames like at EQ2.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Originally posted by GamerFun

Played the beta for this game, it's nothing new, its boring and I'm really getting tired of instanced battle grounds for PvP. This genre is doomed for failure since everyone copies everyone and this game is very stail and dull. Developers need to use their emaginations and come up with things that aren't used over and over. I definitely won't be getting this game.

MMORPG's are a dissappointment these days, one flop after another.

This is a crafting thread or didn't you notice??  Any chance you can offer pro's and con's of the system instead of idly flapping your mouth into the wind and muttering about PvP???