Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kind of dumb mechanic

sgtairbornesgtairborne Member Posts: 51

Was it just me or did anyone else notice this. If you were part of a large group taking down a high difficulty quest chain and during the chain you spend a good portion of your time rezing all the people that were being struck down you were awarded a silver or usually a bronze medal. Is it just me or will this mechanic (and this could totally change by launch) make people less likely to rez and just focus on inflicting as much damage as possible for the probability of a gold rating?

All in all it was an amazing beta event and I had oddles of fun with it. I just feel that if my contribution to a battle is rezing my fallen comrades I should be awarded the same things as the person inflicting damage. My 2 cents

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I agree. They should up the rewards for the rezzers. And support classes in general to be honest. I came away with a lot of bronze because I wasn't just straight DPS 100% of the time.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Originally posted by sgtairborne

Was it just me or did anyone else notice this. If you were part of a large group taking down a high difficulty quest chain and during the chain you spend a good portion of your time rezing all the people that were being struck down you were awarded a silver or usually a bronze medal. Is it just me or will this mechanic (and this could totally change by launch) make people less likely to rez and just focus on inflicting as much damage as possible for the probability of a gold rating?

All in all it was an amazing beta event and I had oddles of fun with it. I just feel that if my contribution to a battle is rezing my fallen comrades I should be awarded the same things as the person inflicting damage. My 2 cents

Personally, I prefer helping out in a fight so that that player can jump back in, and get a bronze. Than concentrating solely on the mob to get a gold.

You play how you want, pretty sure no one will berate anyone for not rezzing all the time.

P.S  Just wanted to add that I didn't spend all my time rezzing ppl, I did it once in a while like at the beginning to mid of a fight.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Hmm, I never tried just purely ressing people. I think that's a fair reward for it, you don't have to do damage to use supportive skills for the team. For instance, I spent a good portion of one event throwing out debuff heals, quickness buffs and activating my boon signet to those around me WHILE ressing, and I got a gold medal. Even warriors can do that, they have battle standard things they can drop into the area. So yeah, if you're just standing on the outskirts ressing people, it's helpful, but not as helpful as it could be. Reward seems fitting, IMO.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Tomm-eTomm-e Member Posts: 27
    ArenaNet have said themselves dynamic event scaling needs quite a bit of tweaking, there is many events where damage or mod health has scaled horribly, eg a lot of health but silly low damage and vicer versa. This also includes reward scaling of course.

stylin'

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Hmm, I never tried just purely ressing people. I think that's a fair reward for it, you don't have to do damage to use supportive skills for the team. For instance, I spent a good portion of one event throwing out debuff heals, quickness buffs and activating my boon signet to those around me WHILE ressing, and I got a gold medal. Even warriors can do that, they have battle standard things they can drop into the area. So yeah, if you're just standing on the outskirts ressing people, it's helpful, but not as helpful as it could be. Reward seems fitting, IMO.

I just disagree. It depends on the difficulty of the encounter, but the guy or group of people that are rezzing can make far more difference in the fight than the DPS roles. People that are downed are doing zero DPS which basically cancels out your own. You rez 3 people and you've already almost doubled the DPS you would have normally done.

Rezzers and support roles need some love when it comes to medals.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

I did notice this and was kind of upset when I got a bronze after rezzing a dozen people... so the next time I encountered a difficult event where people were down I'd attack the boss/mobs, rez, attack, rez, attack, rez and I got a gold doing it that way... I think it's based on how long it's been since you were attacking.

• sgtairbornesgtairborne Member Posts: 51

Just to clarify I was not just standing there and rezing. Sometimes thats all I could when a large group would go down but in between rezing I was dishing out damage and dropping buffs/heals.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Yeah, I experienced that before too, but it never really made me not want to rez people. I was rezzing people because the more hands we had participating in the fight, the better the outcome, because some of those fights were HARD.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but I'm in agreement with whoever it was who proposed a spreadsheet of your particpation in an event after it completes, and why you were awarded the medal that you were. I know Arena Net doesn't want to have DPS trackers in the game and such, but being given a chart showing your participation in an event would be nice so you know how to improve the way you perform.

It also helps alleviate that feeling of being cheated. I only got 2 silver medals for doing an event I actually tried and was there for nearly the full duration of. All the rest were gold or bronze because I came in at the end and got a few kills in at the very end. Very insignificant losses of gold and experience but it still left bitter tastes in my mouth at the time. No one likes to get silver when they knew they should've had gold! >.<

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Some events like the 15ish end DE for norn area seemed very hard to get a gold for, did it twice got bronze first time and silver second, was there from the beginning I didn't ress terribly much atleast over half the time was just spent shooting at the thing from range however I was heavily underleveled the boss was lvl 18 I was 13 so that might have cut down a lot on my damage..
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

tbh it felt too easy to get silver and gold medals for me. I wouldn'd mind if they made it harder. To get gold to do a little bit of everything or something.

Edit. but I didn't play much in 15-25 zone so it might be different there.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Honestly, if you are playing just the role of ressing in a DE you should get skills that let you do that while supporting and fighting.  Many of the professions have ways to rally (sometimes AoE).  Ranger for example gets two, one of which also provides support while doing it and can AoE rally multiple times while it's active.

Ressing also already rewards a lot of experience anyway.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    Why would you even try to "only rez people". I mean yes rezing is a big part of the game because you are better to play with other in this games unlike most of other mmo for a lot of small details that add up. But i mean only res people? Sure you won't have a gold, you should res and kill the boss/mobs, whatever is to do during the event, for a gold no?

Originally posted by Requiamer

Why would you even try to "only rez people". I mean yes rezing is a big part of the game because you are better to play with other in this games unlike most of other mmo for a lot of small details that add up. But i mean only res people? Sure you won't have a gold, you should res and kill the boss/mobs, whatever is to do during the event, for a gold no?

Ususally, you don't just exclusively rez people. You rez some guy, you throw some DPS and conditions on the boss and you rez somebody else. 

Playing like this netted me lower medals than just sticking to the boss with DPS. They should change it so that the rezzers get more credit for what they are doing to help the organism succeed.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Just to clarify I was not just standing there and rezing. Sometimes thats all I could when a large group would go down but in between rezing I was dishing out damage and dropping buffs/heals.

Ah, then, I don't know. I did the same, as I mentioned in my initial post, and got a gold. Only thing I can think of is that event rewards are still being balanced. There were times I got a gold medal and I literally didn't do anything. I passed an event on the way to something and completely ignored it, and still got gold. Some things are just behaving a bit strangely at the moment. Beta, and all that. 

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by colddog04

Originally posted by Requiamer
    Ususally, you don't just exclusively rez people. You rez some guy, you throw some DPS and conditions on the boss and you rez somebody else. 

Playing like this netted me lower medals than just sticking to the boss with DPS. They should change it so that the rezzers get more credit for what they are doing to help the organism succeed.

I find it hard that to believe that Anet didn't put rezing into the reward formula of their events. If they didn't, yes rezing should weight as much as a great dps output, and maybe even a bit more since you have to move to the corps, possibly need to deal with incoming damage and dodge. I don't know i just didn't tested that aspect, and tbh i would have had hard time unless said event would repeat twice, which they did only once for me.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Originally posted by colddog04

I just disagree. It depends on the difficulty of the encounter, but the guy or group of people that are rezzing can make far more difference in the fight than the DPS roles. People that are downed are doing zero DPS which basically cancels out your own. You rez 3 people and you've already almost doubled the DPS you would have normally done.

Rezzers and support roles need some love when it comes to medals.

The whole point of the class setup is so that you do not NEED dedicated "rezzers".  When the guy next to you dies, you take 5 seconds and get him back up.  Then continue the pew-pew.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GalthonGalthon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    There is a trick that I found handy... have the downed player target a trash mob,  you burn it down quickly, and they rally up.
  • PerfectBlendPerfectBlend Member Posts: 49
    Upping the reward for Rezurrection would encourage bad play.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I actually rarely got less than gold and I'd bounce back and forth between rezzing and Dealing Damage.

Originally posted by PerfectBlend

Upping the reward for Rezurrection would encourage bad play.

Heh. You mean because the noobs that litter the ground deserve to be punished for their failure so that they learn how not to stand in fire?

Maybe. :P

• bishop916bishop916 Member UncommonPosts: 49

Well, during any other games' encounters, if you are spending 100% of your time topping off HP instead of using some flex time between heals to inflict some DPS, you ar a lazy healer and are overhealing. Just sayin' ...

Same thing applies here.