Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Putting the War Back in Warcraft - Part 2

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There are a lot of highly anticipated games coming down the pike this year and Blizzard Entertainment has had to start looking at World of Warcraft to find new, innovative ways to keep the aging game relevant in a changing MMO landscape. In today's WoW Factor, we take a look at how Blizzard plans to do just that. Read on!

At BlizzCon when Chris Metzen began his talk, he started hinting at the phrase “putting the War back in Warcraft,” then suddenly changed his tune to Pandaria and the new expansion. I remember actually taking notes and writing down, PvP expansion for WoW! Sadly the topic has gone quiet since then. However, when Bill Murphy went to Blizzard for the press event to see Mists again, he got a taste of more ideas the team had been talking about in regards to Horde vs. Alliance PvP. Still, whispers and rumors are all anyone has heard for now.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's WoW Factor: Putting the War back in Warcraft.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    too little too late

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Yeah way to late for the millions that still play.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Doesnt matter what they do. 2 factions, engine that doesn't like lots of players on screen, and massively lob sided existing servers. They should leave pvp to gw2 and ps2 and concentrate on pve imo.
  • LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    They need worthy pve content thats worthy of doing thats not raiding to make any difference at this point. If people want pvp they will get it else where. Are blizz devs that blind?
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

hehe. the enginen still works better than most of these new AAA games. Thank you Blizzard for making stuff happen! 

[Mod Edit]

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • Draith77Draith77 Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Adalwulff

too little too late

^I agree with this  times a Million... well Said Adalwulff :)

@Blizzard, Where was the “War” in Warcraft when I was playing?

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Doesnt matter what they do. 2 factions, engine that doesn't like lots of players on screen, and massively lob sided existing servers. They should leave pvp to gw2 and ps2 and concentrate on pve imo.

This. After GW2 I can't stand to go back to 2 faction pvp. WOW, Rift and SWTOR just to name some of the big ones, the "bad" side is almost always the pvp champion. LOL. In mmos it is the bad guys that win. I REALLY like the 3 side fighting in GW2 - even when we were losing.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    I'm still hoping the Panda's are a practical joke but reality and beta testing suggest otherwise. I do feel it is highly coincidental Diablo 3 is coming out soon, much more mature than the 'my little panda friendship is magic' and 'Pikka gotta catchemall' scene and is a deliberate push for persuading mature WoW players to go over to D3.
  • GudrunixGudrunix Member Posts: 149

My first time to Alterac Valley (the original version) left me with the distinct feeling that "this was what World of Warcraft should have been all along".  But AV got dumbed down and Blizzard relegated PvP to team-based Battlegrounds and the Arenas at the same time that in-world PvP died.

As the others above me said:  too little, too late.  WoW is so far down the end-game PvE raiding model, there really is no turning back.  They would have to redesign the whole game, including the engine, to turn it into a real World of Warcraft.  That isn't going to happen at this point; their player base is down to mostly hardcore PvE raiders with a few casual PvE gamers and a very few Arena diehards, and they know that and aren't going to make any substantial changes to the formula.

All the talk about revitalizing PvP is just that, talk, and won't do anything to get me to go back, and I suspect I am not the only one.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

The only game that I think is better than WoW is Eve Online - most MMORPGs are WoW clones, and WoW is the biggest one.

Blizzard should task one dev, who likes world PvP, to sit quietly on his own - in a coffee shop or something - an figure out how to re-introduce world PvP back into WoW.

I'm sure it can be done - but Blizzard needs to keep loud mouth people, who don't really know what they are talking about, well out of the decision making process.

'Team discussions' could easily kill WoW totally, because all you get are the loud people talking.

Keep PR / advertising / accountants WELL AWAY from WoW, and then WoW might have a good future once again.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

"Bringing the war back in warcraft" never meant MoP were gonna be a PvP expansion, and thank god for that!

WoW isn't a PvP game, it's a PvE game with PvP options. Which suits me just fine. I'm not much into PvP myself, if that was the main theme of MoP, I would have cancelled my accounts already.

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

The only game that I think is better than WoW is Eve Online - most MMORPGs are WoW clones, and WoW is the biggest one.

Blizzard should task one dev, who likes world PvP, to sit quietly on his own - in a coffee shop or something - an figure out how to re-introduce world PvP back into WoW.

I'm sure it can be done - but Blizzard needs to keep loud mouth people, who don't really know what they are talking about, well out of the decision making process.

'Team discussions' could easily kill WoW totally, because all you get are the loud people talking.

Keep PR / advertising / accountants WELL AWAY from WoW, and then WoW might have a good future once again.

So, you wanna let one single person decide the future of WoW, and the only requirement is that this person likes world PvP?

Thankfully, Blizzard is not that stupid.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Darkness Falls in WoW? I could dig it.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    meh...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• SeriousblackSeriousblack Member Posts: 9

"Bringing the war back in warcraft" never meant MoP were gonna be a PvP expansion, and thank god for that!

"WoW isn't a PvP game, it's a PvE game with PvP options. Which suits me just fine. I'm not much into PvP myself, if that was the main theme of MoP, I would have cancelled my accounts already."

Really? There is nothing finer than the hair on your neck standing, as you sense an encounter. If you play a pvp server, it is pvp with pve secondary. Play on a safer pve server, then it is more about raiding. Don't classify everyone according to your personal experience. Blizz has it balanced pretty well. Think not? Try a month or two on Swtor or Rift and it will become obvious. Or just look at the numbers. Blizz has and is doing something pretty well. Let's hope there is some decent world pvp in Pando world.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    looking forward to this. best mmorpg to date no matter what. Together with GW2 of course.

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 210

Originally posted by Adalwulff

too little too late

Agreed.

At this point, "making WoW better" really isn't an option. They need to completely remake it - WoW 2. And that in itself will have to be an absolute killer game above and beyound. It would have to comletely rock the mmo foundation.

MoP is a complete joke. It's the same boring, lame, old, over used  concepts.

They need to get over it and realize WoW has run it's course. Either come to the plate with something new and earth shattering or just go home.

Originally posted by Seriousblack

"WoW isn't a PvP game, it's a PvE game with PvP options. Which suits me just fine. I'm not much into PvP myself, if that was the main theme of MoP, I would have cancelled my accounts already."

Really? There is nothing finer than the hair on your neck standing, as you sense an encounter. If you play a pvp server, it is pvp with pve secondary. Play on a safer pve server, then it is more about raiding. Don't classify everyone according to your personal experience. Blizz has it balanced pretty well. Think not? Try a month or two on Swtor or Rift and it will become obvious. Or just look at the numbers. Blizz has and is doing something pretty well. Let's hope there is some decent world pvp in Pando world.

I didn't "classify everyone", where do you get that from?

Sure, you can play on PvP servers, I never said otherwise. But that doesn't make it a PvP game, it's just another option. Content is the same on all server types, just because you're able to attack members of the opposite faction almost everywhere, there's no added contents at all for PvP.

My point stands, WoW IS a PvE game with PvP options.

Btw, hit the quote button next time you quote someone, and leave it in the box. That way it also clearly shows who you're quoting.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Gudrunix

My first time to Alterac Valley (the original version) left me with the distinct feeling that "this was what World of Warcraft should have been all along".  But AV got dumbed down and Blizzard relegated PvP to team-based Battlegrounds and the Arenas at the same time that in-world PvP died.

As the others above me said:  too little, too late.  WoW is so far down the end-game PvE raiding model, there really is no turning back.  They would have to redesign the whole game, including the engine, to turn it into a real World of Warcraft.  That isn't going to happen at this point; their player base is down to mostly hardcore PvE raiders with a few casual PvE gamers and a very few Arena diehards, and they know that and aren't going to make any substantial changes to the formula.

All the talk about revitalizing PvP is just that, talk, and won't do anything to get me to go back, and I suspect I am not the only one.

I loved the roginal AV and had the same feeling.   When it turned into the push to finish in 15 minutes, I lost that loving feeling.

I returned to wow for wotlk but left and will never return.  Gearscore, realid and losing longtime in game friends were the big factors.  I heard cata ruined the vanilla world so that also kills it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• StoprunningStoprunning Member CommonPosts: 9
    It's a lost cause. Give up the dream. It's been over for a very long time. Just roll your panda and go raid.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Hard to take anything seriously in the Warcraft realm - with cute & cuddly pandas, we players are just fools in Blizzard's view. Putting the War in Warcraft? Really? No, they're putting Kung Fu pandas and Pokemon into World of Kidcraft. It's like Coca Cola announcing they're putting piss in Coke.
  • VeldaraVeldara Member UncommonPosts: 30

The biggest problem with WoW pvp design is the faction system itself.  It lacks the flexibility, looking at other mmos sure there are factions but they don't lock players into them like WoW does.  Factions should only affect storyline but never actual gameplay.  Raiding to pvp in WoW is constrained by factions.  I play my horde but I have relatives that play on alliance, I can alt but I would much rather play with my main with all the gear and familiarity.  There's other examples but simply put it's just an old school way of thinking and I'm glad mmos coming out now are leaving it behind.

• sithangel1sithangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I am wondering how much life the game has in it. Skill counts for almost nothing as long as you have the latest gear. Pandas and Pokemon ain't gonna save it. Cata erked most players to the point of 850k subs being cancelled, and yet they still won't admit the Fail of it. World PvP dungeon and side xp bonus is not a new concept. Most games have been doing then for years, and in the case of Anarchy Online, over a decade. You want to shake it up, scrap the current incarnation of the world and Pandaria and get back to the original heart of the game. Go back to the lore and not the grind of boss after boss.
  • palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Originally posted by ShakyMo

lol gw2!!!! Gw2 is so poor compared to wow and it will be never on top .WOW pvp is 1000 times better then gw2  crapy combat system

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Originally posted by sithangel1

I am wondering how much life the game has in it. Skill counts for almost nothing as long as you have the latest gear. Pandas and Pokemon ain't gonna save it. Cata erked most players to the point of 850k subs being cancelled, and yet they still won't admit the Fail of it. World PvP dungeon and side xp bonus is not a new concept. Most games have been doing then for years, and in the case of Anarchy Online, over a decade. You want to shake it up, scrap the current incarnation of the world and Pandaria and get back to the original heart of the game. Go back to the lore and not the grind of boss after boss.

Bla bla bla, still 11 millions and number is rising again after so many failed wanna be mmorpg's. Let me guess--horrible weekend in gw2 and you are just so sad that you need  old good wow spiting