Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your favorite little thing?

ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

What little, or maybe even big things did you see that were just icing on the cake? 

I will start

• Press F to loot... WOOT! I dont have to interact to pick stuff up! Finally a big name MMO uses this feature!

• This is a bigger thing but the event system over a quest based system.. I don't know how people can say its similar.. I never once felt I was doing a quest. I just explored and killed things as I went, if there was an attack nearby I helped. Usually completing hearts while I was at it.

• Water spray.. when you surface from underwater.. so pretty.

• Finding rare recipes on karma vendors.. that was fun I was able to make great gear for myself and it was lower lvl mats, this offered me 2 ways to lvl LW at that point.. with the new leather.. or the old. Not to mention the gear itself was way better than what I had waiting and had a lower lvl req.

• SUPRISE CHEST! I was out exploring.. decided to kill this veteran Jotun and his minions and found a chest.. didn't get anything nice but finding it was fun. (no not a mystic chest)

• Puzzles! I did 3 puzzle challenges, 2 success and 1 failure. The failure was the underwater one a few have featured in their vids that was overtuned last press beta... we lost because we forgot to get the sword before the roof reformed and we were stuck. In order to access that one you need to be at the end of an event chain so we didn;t have to to go back. The 2 I completed were great.. one was a jumping puzzle offering a skill point and the other was a jumping/combat one that ended in a chest.

• dye system and dying town clothes. So my husband kept asking me about my town clothes and I finally showed him what I felt was very underwhelming and awkward looking(Norn female) but then I realized I could dye it.. at first I was wondering why I had so little dye options for the parts of the clothes.. then I saw that there were 4 options(not every piece utilized all 4) and I turned my boring set into something I absolutely loved!

• An option to take a high graphics settings pic without using high graphics settings.. I found this little gem in the keybinds that lets you take awesome pics no matter what you are playing on however it will freeze you while its rendering so not good for dangerous situations

Now I am sure there are more things I can't think of but that should get it started =D Here is a pic showing an example of the bottom 2. That fun purple is called "grapsicle" and was found from cultivating a dye seed. I think that teal is standard Norn but might be another dye from seeds.

Comments

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Actively talking NPCs.  When I first walked into Divinity Reach and heard the roar of people I was blown away.  It truly felt like an active, bustling city.  The sound team did an amazing job on this game imo.  It made the whole game world feel so alive to me.  It freaked me out at times with my sound turned up and I would hear a loud "Hey you!"  For a second, I thought some stranger was in my home lol. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

My needs are simple, so I don't have a huge list but here are some of the small things I loved:

-The quests, be it hearts, DE's, or skill cjallenges etc (except maybe the storyline) didn't have you run back and forth to and from quest givers, unless it was a gathering quest where had to give an item back. You just roamed around doing quests, gaining xp and moved on. Loved the flow of it.

-Items could sold at the 'auction house' through the inventory menu, or mail could be sent without visiting a physical location. Maybe not realistic, but this is a game...can't have realism is some places and not in others like permadeath. Suspension of disbelief is good in these things. lol

-No need for grouping for sharing DE's. events, or just killing stuff. Also for WvW it's great, though you can join a squad if you wish.

That's pretty much it, though i could elaborate on some big things I enjoyed as well. 

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

2 little things that were awesome

The carrier pigeon when you get mail

Being able to dye your amor and clothes however you liked, whenever you liked, for free

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by whisperwynd

My needs are simple, so I don't have a huge list but here are some of the small things I loved:

-The quests, be it hearts, DE's, or skill cjallenges etc (except maybe the storyline) didn't have you run back and forth to and from quest givers, unless it was a gathering quest where had to give an item back. You just roamed around doing quests, gaining xp and moved on. Loved the flow of it.

-Items could sold at the 'auction house' through the inventory menu, or mail could be sent without visiting a physical location. Maybe not realistic, but this is a game...can't have realism is some places and not in others like permadeath. Suspension of disbelief is good in these things. lol

-No need for grouping for sharing DE's. events, or just killing stuff. Also for WvW it's great, though you can join a squad if you wish.

That's pretty much it, though i could elaborate on some big things I enjoyed as well. 

omg yes! those two.. the trading was so easy! but I wish you could collect stuff away from the AH like you can buy stuff. On the second some people thing not grping makes the game antisocial but I disagree.. I think it makes things easier since after the fighting is over you can be excited but stopping to talk mid event just doesn't make sense.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

All the little touch's that make the difference, like the children running around playing games, being able to read the inscription on every single headstone in a graveyard, the cogs actually turning in the right direction as the sails on the mill turn in the wind.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by stragen001 little things that were awesome

Being able to dye your amor and clothes however you liked, whenever you liked, for free

This x10000

It seriously is like, any other MMO tells me I have to buy individual dyes or go to a specific vendor or I can't dye items at all is a big F U to me now.

Every MMO should do this, period.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

1. Crafting. I love any game with a good crafting system and this one is one of the best. 

2. Everyone helping one another...no questions asked.  If I was knocked down or killed during a DE there was always someone there to help. Other games people would stare and just wait for the quest to finish or mob to die and get their reward and press on. I know it was beta and everyone was pumped but this blew me away, others helping!? What is the world coming to! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    For me the Norn area was full of those little things that i think really miss from mmo, that kind of poetry that probably made us all love the fantasy genre. Become a leopard that chase rabits from bushes, snow ball fight with kids, trying to take food from rabits that are kicking you ass to take it back. I hope they have a lot more of those quest type later on. I simply loved the "not only fighting" but help with alternate means in many hearts quests.
  • MazrealMazreal Member Posts: 2

I love to dye armor, and yes by the end of my three days I had more dye then the vender! All of the colors are so vibrant even the dull colors

I loved as an ele I didnt need to change my weapon when I changed my element 1 staff, same armor 4 different amazing elements to toy with! I could drop metors on you to change to the water and blast you with a ice shard in 2 seconds flat.

As a ranger I liked changing my pets on a whim, or when I noticed it underwater... I owned a wolf and a bear... on land my wolf kicked butt, in the water my bear tore it up!

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by stragen001 little things that were awesome

This x10000

It seriously is like, any other MMO tells me I have to buy individual dyes or go to a specific vendor or I can't dye items at all is a big F U to me now.

Every MMO should do this, period.

or the dyes are temporary :( but yea the dye system is just amazing.. I think if I spend any money on non bag slots from the cash shop it will be on plant food! I am so impatient lol.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

WoW is based on competition.

GW2 is based on cooperation.

To me, that is the little thing that made me start to realize how good the game really was. They took a small concept like coorperation and expanded on it until it became GW2.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    One of the little things that I really like is the way the map is handled.   Just the way it looks and feels, how it zooms down to your location like a google map.
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Having a skill choice at lv5, having an actual choice, and looking at the skills later and being excited about them....I may explode when it comes to epic skills, haven't had that feeling for a long time :P

There's plenty of things I think are, 'meh', about GW2 but I feel that the skill and the class design is superb.  

I'm not sure if that's a small thing so sorry :P

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Omnifish

Having a skill choice at lv5, having an actual choice, and looking at the skills later and being excited about them....I may explode when it comes to epic skills, haven't had that feeling for a long time :P

There's plenty of things I think are, 'meh', about GW2 but I feel that the skill and the class design is superb.  

I'm not sure if that's a small thing so sorry :P

I agree totally! The excitement is like forgetting to swallow your spit before it rolls down your chin, or forgetting to blow your knows and forming snot bubbles and not even caring!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    When i enter CHARR world when NPC's just run up to you asking for help is just awesome. No more npc's hubs going for quest see those damn !-? above heads this game ROCKS in so many ways its just to many expalin all you have to experience it to know what i mean its superb game.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

sugar cotton vendor  in the human city

i was ................OH MAN OH MAN I CAN FUCK IT BEALIVE IT!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ariboersma

omg yes! those two.. the trading was so easy! but I wish you could collect stuff away from the AH like you can buy stuff. On the second some people thing not grping makes the game antisocial but I disagree.. I think it makes things easier since after the fighting is over you can be excited but stopping to talk mid event just doesn't make sense.

For the social aspect, it is strange that the lack of communication usually equates to anti-social behavior but the way GW2 plays it actually accentuates it by, not from what the players say, but actually it is shown in their actions.

They'll come and kill mobs if you're alone and seem in trouble, or even if you aren't.

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

My favorite "little" thing was when you walk into a building and your mini-map zooms in n that area you are in. Just adds convenience to the game.

Its the little things that make a game good. Well, I guess its everything, but, well, you get the idea.  : )

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

The snake potion that turned me into a snake and let me slither around Divinity's Reach for 15 minutes and hearing the NPCs comment on the snake slithering by.  Loved it!

But there was one thing I loved best:

The diving board in LA!  Loved finding that little gem.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

For the social aspect, it is strange that the lack of communication usually equates to anti-social behavior but the way GW2 plays it actually accentuates it by, not from what the players say, but actually it is shown in their actions.

They'll come and kill mobs if you're alone and seem in trouble, or even if you aren't.

I loved that part as well, although I wish more people would have been willing to stop and talk after the events.  Unfortunately, in my experience, people just moved on once the killing was done.  Maybe that will change on release when people aren't so hurried to do what they can before the end of beta.  <crosses fingers>

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Originally posted by evolver1972

I loved that part as well, although I wish more people would have been willing to stop and talk after the events.  Unfortunately, in my experience, people just moved on once the killing was done.  Maybe that will change on release when people aren't so hurried to do what they can before the end of beta. 

I'm pretty sure those that do like to socialize will and those that don't will still feel like a part of the world. Considering the way themeparks are usually made, soloing is a must nowadays. The 'how' in GW2 actually fits well and grouping and making friends is now just a plus without the gripes of kill steals, waiting turns for a certain mob for a drop, etc.

I'll cross my fingers as well. 

• GalaxyzGalaxyz Member Posts: 22
    dye armor, map, NPCs walking towards you asking for help, when armor brakes you end up wearing none, staff will glow at night, underwater FX on the screen, and many more I am sure I forgot to mention
  • Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222
    De-leveling. No more balancing between guildmates and friends' characters to stay close to each other or miss out on content. Or you can just have the higher level power level you through content and you miss out.

very true, its so nice not to have that MINE! mindset while killing things

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

That is felt like an MMO. No sure if that's a little thing but who cares. Played MMOs where everyone is off doing their own thing, and thus it simply feels like everyone is playing their own singleplayer games until they are forced to group up. Whereas GW2 made it so easy to just play with anyone that it fostered a very friendly & cooperative environment.

Oh and I really liked how clean the UI was. I know there are people who love their add-ons & extra skill-bars all over the screen. But I'm glad that ArenaNet went with a minimalistic UI, providing me with a clear view of what is on my screen.

Also another little thing I enjoyed was wondering around and hanging out with NPCs. Especially the ones that had something to say.