Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall the next most innovative mmo out that will be f2p

aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

I just wanted to say. After playing FireFall beta for a while now, it is probably the most innovative mmo i have seen that has been made. swtor had innovation, but to a certain extent. Firefall has what fps players and pve mmo players are looking for. what the best part is Firefall offers both pve/pvp content. along with explorations that is involved, and melding to open up areas for you to furthur your progression. melding is basically a purple cloady deadly gastric area that surrounds planet earth, and for one to get access to an area with melding in it. you would need to push it back. atm it's not out in-game yet since it's not ready, but so far from the patches red 5 studios been releasing, they really are a small group of people who really do keep their words.

The game doesn't only offer cheap pvp matches, but in future of FireFall they are doing open world pvp for competative guilds(aka army) out there. the game atm offers dynamic events, crafting, pvp and pve. currently the game right now doesn't have all the other great features that they promised. but, it is beta afterall. All i'm saying is if you're looking for a new type of mmo that has a new type of style to gameplay, and skills. FIREFALL IS WORTH CHECKING OUT. i have free accounts that i made that i'm giving out for free if anyone is interested. also have lots of free invites. feel free to post your email here and i will get on it as soon as i can.

Comments

• dooneydooney Member Posts: 69
    Another MMORPG with too many limitations on players. 
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    FireFall doesn't currently offers much. Yes there's PvE, yes there's PvP,  but it's done in a very simplistic manner. The PvP is your typical conquest point ABC seen in certain FPS and even MMORPG PvPs. The PvE isn't bad, but there simply is a major lack of things to do. Beyond pushing the borders of accessible land through discovery (is this even added yet?), the game offers no other activities for the players but to grind constantly (there are some quests now, but still quite limited). Some would say "Well you don't have to grind!", but the answer to that is pretty simple, that's all there is to do. It's a game without an ending or a purpose. I think Red5 really have something in their hands, and Firefall could be a very interesting game, but they need to add something more to it to give players a larger purpose beyond grinding and expending accessible territory through "conquests" (PvE).
  • SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

Originally posted by dooney
    Another MMORPG with too many limitations on players.
    Such as...?

Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Yes there's PvE, yes there's PvP,  but it's done in a very simplistic manner.
    Which is typically a good thing. Complex does not equate to superior, regardless of the field. Indeed, it's a well-defined principle of both engineering and creative writing: K-I-S-S. Keep It Simple, Stupid. Never understood why the principle has to insult the reader, but, still...

My point is, yes, FireFall does have a "simplistic" approach to the combat, however, that's not necessarily a denigratory aspect. Indeed, I'd liken it best to a blend of Borderlands and Team Fortress 2, each of which are simple, each of which was/is successful.

The PvP is your typical conquest point ABC seen in certain FPS and even MMORPG PvPs.
    I take it you were in the beta, as well? I hadn't an opportunity to participate in PvP, so, could you elaborate on your experience?

The PvE isn't bad, but there simply is a major lack of things to do. Beyond pushing the borders of accessible land through discovery (is this even added yet?), the game offers no other activities for the players but to grind constantly (there are some quests now, but still quite limited). Some would say "Well you don't have to grind!", but the answer to that is pretty simple, that's all there is to do. It's a game without an ending or a purpose. I think Red5 really have something in their hands, and Firefall could be a very interesting game, but they need to add something more to it to give players a larger purpose beyond grinding and expending accessible territory through "conquests" (PvE).
    Let's not overlook the very prominent fact that FireFall is still in beta. As with the recent backlash over Guild Wars 2, featured so prominently within these very forums, it's crucial to recall that when evaluating the game. Numerous features have yet to be implemented, others are still being refined, designed or cast aside.

I think it sufficiently pertinent that I quote this passage from the official FAQ:
    "Firefall is NOT a traditional MMORPG. If you go into the open world expecting it to be like WoW, chances are you will be disappointed. However, there will be tons of content to keep you PvE fans entertained. One of the biggest ways this will be achieved is through dynamic events. These can include anything from a thumper crashing nearby and giving you an opportunity to go salvage its remains, to a full scale invasion where the Chosen attempt to seize control of a city or outpost. Players' decisions will factor into the shape of the world, as well. If the Chosen attack a town and the players choose not to defend it, the Chosen will take control of that town and deny the players access to its resources until the players band together to take back the town. Another large part of the world is resource collection. This includes anything from blowing up small rocks to gather minerals to calling down massive thumpers to drill for resources, which attracts a fair amount of attention from the local wildlife."

Clearly, a lot remains to be seen.

What's more, when all is said and done, Red5 is absolutely inundated with suggestions on their forums. At last glance, there are nearly 3,000 threads in their feedback/suggestions area. Clearly, the community is rallying around this one with some grand expectations and lot of enthusiasm.

• dooneydooney Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by SaintGraye

Such as...?

Such as the whole game?

It's a themepark. What more do I need to say?

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I dunno after seeing what neverwinter has to offer it may be better. I mean you can make your own dungeons and shit.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Way more interested in planetside2 as a mmofps, if its just ps1 with better graphics and servers it will be the best pvp mmo on the market.

Whole planets of rvr beats e"sports" imo. I don't get why you would pay a sub or cash shop for e"sports" when you can get the same thing from any popular fps for free.
  • aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

Originally posted by dooney

Such as...?

Such as the whole game?

It's a themepark. What more do I need to say?

are you saying ff is a themepark game? its an fps type mmo, how is it a theme park. it's far from what any type of fantasy mmo out there has. the questing is more innovative then wow. it's almost as good as swtor, except without the voice acting and stuff. not sure if there is any cinematics to the story line. as for the game, it's still in beta. they haven't even showed any gameplay footage of how the dynamic events are going to be when towns get attacked. also the open world pvp hasn't been shown or implemented. but they already said they was going to put it in the game because ff was originally made for open world pvp. but instead they changed it to more pve. there are more stuff you can do. for open world pvp, like capture lands and build your own base etc... so basically they will have 2 types of pvp which is, pvp instances, and open world pvp. i mean how much better can it get. fps combined with pve content. not to mention a whole new change of playstyle. i for one have played many mmos and quite frankly im tired of mashing buttons. ff offers the new change of playstyle to an mmorpg style. i mean imagine when they include boss hunts in this game, how bad ass it would be to fps down a boss. not to mention the tactics will probably be alot different when killing a boss, because of the fact that it's fps. engineers seems to hold the most aggro out of all class. they have so much to offer, that no fps has. not to mention lvl doesn't matter by much in ff. you can be a lvl 1 player and kill a lvl 15 if your skilled. so basically the game is pure skills. i'm not dissing gw2. i for one was waiting for the game, but after playing ff i'm not to sure anymore if ima play gw2. it's just after playing an fps game with pve content, it's alot of fun. not to mention how challenging it is. sure they don't have much right now, but from what they offered so far and it's pre-beta i gotta admit. the game has a really bright future ahead of it.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

And then we have Dominus, which is far more PvP-centric and has much deeper gameplay then FireFall.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Firefall is fun and everything, but it won't hold a candle to Planetside 2.

I don't want to play an mmofps for pve quests and instanced small scale PvP. I want huge open world conflict.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by dubyahite

I don't want to play an mmofps for pve quests and instanced small scale PvP. I want huge open world conflict.

they do have open world pvp. atm it's just not ready yet. they will have open world pvp to where you fight for lands and shit. so they will have both instanced pvp like capture the flag and open world pvp. btw what is dominos? is that an mmo or you talking about the blocks with dots on em. 

Which is typically a good thing. Complex does not equate to superior, regardless of the field. Indeed, it's a well-defined principle of both engineering and creative writing: K-I-S-S. Keep It Simple, Stupid. Never understood why the principle has to insult the reader, but, still...

My point is, yes, FireFall does have a "simplistic" approach to the combat, however, that's not necessarily a denigratory aspect. Indeed, I'd liken it best to a blend of Borderlands and Team Fortress 2, each of which are simple, each of which was/is successful.

I wasn't referring to the combat system, but more on the PvE and PvP as a whole. Those features are incredibly simplistic which removes a lot of challenge to the whole activity. They don't carry a whole lot of meaning currently.

The PvP is your typical conquest point ABC seen in certain FPS and even MMORPG PvPs.

I take it you were in the beta, as well? I hadn't an opportunity to participate in PvP, so, could you elaborate on your experience?

In a nutshell, you have Point A - B - C and 2 teams opposing each others. The goal is to gain control of those points for as long as possible to win.

The PvE isn't bad, but there simply is a major lack of things to do. Beyond pushing the borders of accessible land through discovery (is this even added yet?), the game offers no other activities for the players but to grind constantly (there are some quests now, but still quite limited). Some would say "Well you don't have to grind!", but the answer to that is pretty simple, that's all there is to do. It's a game without an ending or a purpose. I think Red5 really have something in their hands, and Firefall could be a very interesting game, but they need to add something more to it to give players a larger purpose beyond grinding and expending accessible territory through "conquests" (PvE).

Let's not overlook the very prominent fact that FireFall is still in beta. As with the recent backlash over Guild Wars 2, featured so prominently within these very forums, it's crucial to recall that when evaluating the game. Numerous features have yet to be implemented, others are still being refined, designed or cast aside.

I think it sufficiently pertinent that I quote this passage from the official FAQ:

"Firefall is NOT a traditional MMORPG. If you go into the open world expecting it to be like WoW, chances are you will be disappointed. However, there will be tons of content to keep you PvE fans entertained. One of the biggest ways this will be achieved is through dynamic events. These can include anything from a thumper crashing nearby and giving you an opportunity to go salvage its remains, to a full scale invasion where the Chosen attempt to seize control of a city or outpost. Players' decisions will factor into the shape of the world, as well. If the Chosen attack a town and the players choose not to defend it, the Chosen will take control of that town and deny the players access to its resources until the players band together to take back the town. Another large part of the world is resource collection. This includes anything from blowing up small rocks to gather minerals to calling down massive thumpers to drill for resources, which attracts a fair amount of attention from the local wildlife."

What's more, when all is said and done, Red5 is absolutely inundated with suggestions on their forums. At last glance, there are nearly 3,000 threads in their feedback/suggestions area. Clearly, the community is rallying around this one with some grand expectations and lot of enthusiasm.

Believe me, I do not want Firefall to be WoW. Firefall is still in Beta, so it's the perfect time to be critical, because that's when things are the most likely to change (usually for the better). What you quoted from the FAQ is actually already in the game, thumper mining, crashed thumper salvaging, Chosen "raids", mining, etc. The issue is that beyond just repeating those activities, there is nothing to do. There is no purpose nor ending, you just repeat the same actions over and over again. All the minerals you collect allows you to access better equipment, but currently, that's all. Red5 needs to give players more activities to keep the world alive and running, or the playerbase will leave fairly quickly out of boredom.

I wasn't referring to the combat system, but more on the PvE and PvP as a whole. Those features are incredibly simplistic which removes a lot of challenge to the whole activity. They don't carry a whole lot of meaning currently.

In a nutshell, you have Point A - B - C and 2 teams opposing each others. The goal is to gain control of those points for as long as possible to win.

Believe me, I do not want Firefall to be WoW. Firefall is still in Beta, so it's the perfect time to be critical, because that's when things are the most likely to change (usually for the better). What you quoted from the FAQ is actually already in the game, thumper mining, crashed thumper salvaging, Chosen "raids", mining, etc. The issue is that beyond just repeating those activities, there is nothing to do. There is no purpose nor ending, you just repeat the same actions over and over again. All the minerals you collect allows you to access better equipment, but currently, that's all. Red5 needs to give players more activities to keep the world alive and running, or the playerbase will leave fairly quickly out of boredom.

well they haven't added the melding yet and the dynamic town invasions for the game. they actually haven't added alot yet. but the game is still in beta afterall. they said within end of 2012 they would have gotten everyone in to play the game. not sure if they are stating that the game will be final release at end of the yr since they also said that the game will stay in beta until they truley feel that the game is ready to be considered as final release.

Originally posted by aligada87

well they haven't added the melding yet and the dynamic town invasions for the game. they actually haven't added alot yet. but the game is still in beta afterall. they said within end of 2012 they would have gotten everyone in to play the game. not sure if they are stating that the game will be final release at end of the yr since they also said that the game will stay in beta until they truley feel that the game is ready to be considered as final release.

Wouldn't be surprised, they are working slowly, one step at a time. They only just recently (I believe since the last PAX) opened servers 24/7. Before the servers were only open for 3 hours on Wednesdays and Saturdays. They have consistent patches with some decent changes or additions, which is great. My only concern is how the game will work at later stage.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by aligada87

Originally posted by dubyahite

they do have open world pvp. atm it's just not ready yet. they will have open world pvp to where you fight for lands and shit. so they will have both instanced pvp like capture the flag and open world pvp. btw what is dominos? is that an mmo or you talking about the blocks with dots on em. 

That may very well be true, but it's not in the game and they have offered no specifics about it. I stand by my statement. Planetside 2 will be the better game from my perspective. Firefall is a good game, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't offer what Planetside offers. Whatever open world PvP they come up with will not compare to Planetsides full scale war. That's all planetside does. It is entirely open world PvP. IMO the first planetside still has the best PvP and the sequel will continue that tradition.

As far as dominus goes, I didn't post about it. It is, however, an mmo.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I enjoy it so far for short periods at a time, mainly due to the fact that shooting things & mining resources are the only things to do if you don't like PvP (which I don't). I definitely make it a point to play at least a couple hours every 3 days or so to look for new bugs to report.

The game has potential to be great, and quite possibly be a worthy successor to the MMO which I had hands down the most fun in, Tabula Rasa. I was hoping Global Agenda would be that game, but it was nowhere close.

I hope Red 5 can accomplish what they are trying to do.

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

I just got into BETA, but even then, it seems like Red 5 is trying very hard to get people to understand that the current game is still unfinished.

While I don't know what the game has or needs, I can say that whatever it has now, it sounds like they're willing to expand and improve on it based on player feedback.

Groovy.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Firefall is at early Closed Beta.

For now, PVP instanced is quite dull as the concept and gameplay is almost like Global Agenda.

The only way for Firefall not to suck bad is that they focus on their PVE. 

Their PVE has so much potential to knock out a lot of other MMO and the PVE environment feel so 2012 not 2005.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I've only played firefall for a lil bit, but I'd say it is a good game.

That said, the title is quite a bit of a stretch, don't you think? Not only are a lot of the mechanics ripped straight from other games (the class system from what I saw is very very similar to global agenda, for one), it's not the only FPS MMO, and it's certainly not the only one w/ both PvE and PvP. The questing is also VERY standard, and they don't really make much of an effort to hide that.

I'll definitely be checking this one out more once it officially releases, but in terms of innovation I'm expection more from planetside 2 / gw2 to be honest.

• potbellyrhipotbellyrhi Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by xmenty

Firefall is at early Closed Beta.

For now, PVP instanced is quite dull as the concept and gameplay is almost like Global Agenda.

The only way for Firefall not to suck bad is that they focus on their PVE. 

Their PVE has so much potential to knock out a lot of other MMO and the PVE environment feel so 2012 not 2005.

Hha was gonna say Global Agenda part 2.

The OP thinks SWTOR questing is good and Firefall is just behind it in quality. That statement alone pretty much proves its PVE is gonna be crap if the OP is correct.

• GhostshadowsGhostshadows Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Can you stil inv for Firefall? thx

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

I think they should allow the players to be the good guys, OR the chosen, the fact the chosen can take over towns alone sounds like it'd be nice for a dual faction game, Just make sure to put population locks so the sides stay in balance. Honestly though if there is no pvp aspect to taking over the towns people will get bored fast, because its just npc stomping otherwise.

I also dislike the fact its going to be f2p, that meabs once it comes out expect any real updates to come every 6+months, because thats usually how the end up after the first month or so.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Ctf in a box

Very innovative.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I stopped following this game when it started to sound too much like Global Agenda part II.

However, these latest news about open world PVP and properly challenging PVE with events and such sound good. I guess I should start tracking it again.

• tomatobeetomatobee Member Posts: 3
     Most of players are looking forward to World PVP in Firefall, and I heard if you upload screenshots to Dotmmo, you will get gifts from them.
    Am I correct in thinking pvp in firefall is instanced matches

Where as planetside 2 if pvp within a non instanced fully persistent world.

If so then the latter is the mmo for true pvp fans.