Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 5 Things People Are B*tching About

Comments

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

A note for something I saw earlier.. why would anyone "run" back to town?  Just teleport.  Travel in this game is so fast and easy if you want to spend a few copper.  Then, just jump back to where you were.  It's super simple.

If you're cheap, you can do the same thing using the Mists it just takes a bit longer.  Go to the Mists, then Lion's Arch..  from there you can take portals to every major city.

Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

Please add an option to add people from chat to friends list. Link list to mail system as well, so I don't have to type some 25 character name into mail, hoping I get spacing, punctuation and spelling right. Also, see #2 about partying.

If you open your contacts list, you can right-click and send mail. Then just drag the items into the mail.  You can right-click items and mail but it doesn't have your contact list which is annoying, I agree.

Originally posted by Elikal

The big questions are:

- are masses of people in 2012 willing to cooperate in complex ways in a MMO anymore?

- are masses of gamers willing to learn a complex combat system and leave the WOW-concept behind?

- are many people patient when it comes to repeated dying?

- and most important: how does ANet handle the "emptying" of low level zones when people advance and nobody gets a group for the big events? (see SWTOR Heroics & Flashpoints)

-Everywhere I went, people were helping each other even if they didn't speak.

-GW2 doesn't need WoW level sub numbers to be successful. Why does everyone try to compare a game to WoW. There are hundreds of successful, fun and profitable MMOs.  People should play what they enjoy and be thankful that WoW isn't the ONLY game out there.

-You only repeatidly die if you suck and aren't trying.  In that case.. sorry.. get some friends to carry your lazy butt.  Once you learn how to play your class you rarely die in most situations.. you can't fix lazy.

-Events scale, did you mean dungeons?  Players downlevel when going to lower level areas, yet still get rewards/drops based on their real level.  I think that there will be plenty of people who transverse through lower level areas working on achievements and skill challenges.  There will always be lower level players around.. using flashpoints in SWTOR isn't an accurate comparison with GW2 because the gaming/leveling systems are totally different.

• SpezzSpezz Member Posts: 141

Characters didn't have boob sliders.

Top. Complaint.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by Elikal

The big questions are:

- are masses of people in 2012 willing to cooperate in complex ways in a MMO anymore?

- are masses of gamers willing to learn a complex combat system and leave the WOW-concept behind?

- are many people patient when it comes to repeated dying?

- and most important: how does ANet handle the "emptying" of low level zones when people advance and nobody gets a group for the big events? (see SWTOR Heroics & Flashpoints)

These are good questions. 

In regard to your "most important" question: In GW1, "emptying" was NEVER a problem because of the henchmen/heroes. I really think it was a huge mistake on ArenaNet's part to discontinue them. I think any modern MMO (SWTOR, LotRO, they all suffer from this problem) had better have an "aging" plan in place for when zones (and servers) start to thin out.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I Can't really understand all this bickering about what was broke and wasn't, it was a Beta.  Did people really believe they was going to play a Beta that showed a polished bug free game?  Most complaints that are in this thread are known and will be fixed.

Coming onto these boards complaining you had a bad experience due to lag, server congestion, mobs not behaving as intended or DE's not behaving as intended etc etc isnt going to help Anet fix these issues, you should of used the bug reporting button that was on your top left of the UI and reported them including the ability to take a screenshot if it would of helped them.

I don't know why people got a lot of lag issues, maybe your pc isnt up to the job, I never had any lag whatsoever during the whole weekend, even in WvW where there was a ton of people throwing out loads of particle effect skills never phased my pc.

Looking beyond the bugs the game was beautiful. A lot of hard work has been put into this game and it really shows, the attention to detail is outstanding,  Some people want to get their head out of the sand and give credit where credit is due.  Some people won't like it whatever they do with the game, the Tera, WoW, SWtor, Rift fans will pick it apart like a schoolboy bully, because they know people will bite and prefer to watch the drama unfold because their game is so great they dont have better things to do than come here and pick on GW2. 

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    The lag was unplayably horrible until 5 PM PST on Saturday when Anet brought the servers back up.  After that I had zero lag for the rest of saturday and sunday, and I am a west coast NA player on an EU server.  It was like night and day.  Anet definitely knows what they are doing. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Spezz

Cartoonish?

Really?

Looks like something a 4 year old colored

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Spezz

Cartoonish?

Really?

Kid is a prodigy

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by XiThRyL

Originally posted by Puremallace

Kid is a prodigy

lol

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

Originally posted by Sector13

The game needs a lot of work. I am truely surprised how much people are praising this game. Compared to ANY action based game, this games combat is a poor immitation. I've had melee mobs hit me from like 10 feet away. I have circle strafed bosses to death with melee from 15 feet away. I've been hit by unavoidable ranged attacks, I've been hit even when dodging. The fact that they force you to rely on a dodge mechanic that you can only use twice in like 30 seconds. It was bad that I played PSO2 for a week beforehand cause it showed that a F2P game that is still in beta can do better then GW2 did in "B E T A". When Sega announced that they were extending the PSO2 beta into the weekend , I ended up playing that more then GW2 even after playing for a week before. 

ithink you have poor conection and low fps ,having delay can apply in thos

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

My fly by 5..

1) My game crashed several times over the BWE completely restarting my system. This seemed to happen in some key areas and is not something I haven't encountered before beta testing. I remember beta testing DCUO on my PS3. Having to literally get up everytime the game would freeze to hardboot the Playstation. But it's beta.. Bug report sent..

2) The Down Mechanic: Not the mechanic itself, but the camera angle you have in the Down State I'd just wish I could pan out a bit further to get a better view of the mobs surroundng me. I didn't get a chance to put that report in myself, but maybe someone else had the same feeling. I'll probably send it in the on the next BWE..

3) Spawn times: In some areas it seemed like respawn timers were just a tad bit fast. Don't get it twisted though. I absolutely love the pace of combat in GW2. The feeling of immenant death (or at least possible) is one thing I was sort of surprised by. Some spawn timers could use some looking at however. I just don't want them to go too far with it. Keep the difficulty just adjust the respawn a tad.

4) Dynamic Events: There were some towns were the event mob would return a little too quickly. This is something that's more than likely been turned up for Beta so that people can experience them as well as grab the metrics they need to see what's happening in game by the numbers. The metrics word is something that makes me shudder sometimes but things seem like they are on the right path here

5) Ability 1-5 set up: I wish I could change the number positions for these abilities. Maybe you can and I just didn't look hard enough in the options menu to find it. I have a G-13 though so it was a problem that was pretty easy to solve. I'm sure others thogh who don't have outside options to change those keybinding issues will want this in at release.

TL:DR The game has some kinks to work out here and there, but overall the game is coming along nicely.

Flamethrower POURA!!!

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• syklonissyklonis Member UncommonPosts: 33

Originally posted by reignjuste

Character models in Gw2 are incredible.

Rift had the worst character models ever seen in my life.

I guess you never played LOTRO...hands down it wins the awards for the worst charcater models in any modern MMO.

I just look forward to optimization.  Once the game utilizes our gaming rigs gpu's I'll be a much happier camper!  That and fixing overflow issues while grouped :)

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by syklonis

I guess you never played LOTRO...hands down it wins the awards for the worst charcater models in any modern MMO.

I just look forward to optimization.  Once the game utilizes our gaming rigs gpu's I'll be a much happier camper!  That and fixing overflow issues while grouped :)

I guess you never played DDO, which makes LOTRO character models look great.

• syklonissyklonis Member UncommonPosts: 33

Originally posted by eric_w66

Originally posted by syklonis

I guess you never played DDO, which makes LOTRO character models look great.

Same art team from Turbine..so DDO and LOTR both win. :)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Not seeing the cartoonish thing, that sounds like a ridiculous complaint to me. People seem to think there's only two types of art, Korean and Cartoon. Stopit. 

The rest, I can agree with. I didn't mind the overflow servers, but they did get annoying on occasion. I would still prefer overflow servers to not being able to log in. The lag was annoying, but it's to be expected for a beta and it didn't make the game unplayable (for me, at least). I'd like to try the sylvari and asura, but I can wait. Weekends only allow so much time to explore, after all. At least I got to see some in-game! Those little asura warriors in plate mail were the cutest friggin thing, I swear to God. Not all of them were cute, mind you, there were some gruff looking ones and such, but the little asura warriors in LA guhhhhh I think I actually made a little "squee" noise when I saw them.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• lmollealmollea Member UncommonPosts: 40

Played. Absolutely liked. Really really happy for my preorder, first preorder that seems to keep up the expectations.

About the issues:

5. Sylvari and Asura. As much as I don't care about Asura, I really really like to see the Sylvari.

4. Cartoonish models. Frankly, who cares? I quite liked the artistic style after some play and after I moved the graphic settings to the maximum. Lovely, really.

3. Overflow. Yes please. Fix them. They really screwed up the teaming with friends with that thing.

2. Changing the MMO paradigm: frankly that is some new air that was really really really and i mean really overdue. ArenaNet bought me in when they announced all those genre changes: no questgivers, no "holy trinity", auto levelling to the zone. On all these three things they delivered. Hoping very very that they will deliver on the last point ...

1. Yes. That was the real issue during this weekend. Hope for the future, as long as (official statement) the client isn't at all optimized and it was mostly CPU-bound and not GPU-bound. But for WvW (that was the last point that ArenaNet bought me on the game), this is really an issue that they have to address.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I liked the way the character models in Rift looked too, it's unfortunate it's pretty much the only thing I liked about the game.

As for the rest, the only things I had problems with were the overflows and lag, things that will be fixed shortly.  Bring on release!

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I actually loved the BETA.  Only real issue that irked me were the times I couldnt log on.  I didnt experience too much lag - it usually showed its head when there was a huge group or fight going on.

No Sylvari or Asura? Fine. More (new) stuff for me to explore in the future.  When I first opened the map I strated to complain how small it was.  Then I started to explore.  I still havent first the norn area.

I actually had no idea what the overflow was.  The first time it happened I clicked it away to fast and started to quest.  It wasnt until it said ready to go to the 'real' world that I noticed something was different.  In all, I like the system better than sitting in a boring queue but can understand the issues it causes with those grouping.  Looked to be something ANet can fix.

Evolution of the holy trinity. Could not have happened fast enough.  The trinity was getting stale and making MMOs stodgy by design. The new design is not only refreshing but it adds something 'extra' to the experience as well as making MMOs just plain FUN again.

Getting closer to my sandbox...

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I agree with point 3. There needs to be at least a way to join your party members if some of them are in a overflow server. Why not give the option to all join an overflow server if one is already there?

• micaelmoraismicaelmorais Member Posts: 88

my main 5 complaininggs about gw2:

-crap graphic,r top pc  looks the same as the low pc settings..

-there is no zoom in and zoom out in gw2

-dodge is a joke, you only can use it 2 times 

-the game is very difficult, the game have a bad balance what is supose to be easy or hard.

-you need to pay to use teleportation even when you dye if you are out of money go try build another char there is no other option for that.

• MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341

The two things that bothered me most:

1)  I couldn't get into the game until Sunday evening (mostly my fault). Still, I felt I barely got started with the tutorial area and then the plug was pulled. Was pretty anticlimatic.

2) Playing for a few hours on Sunday  night, I said all of three words to ppl in game. Normally, I was thanking people for rezzing me after I was stupid and died (I still don't get how the combat works... yes, I am one of *those* ppl). It felt A LOT like I was playing a SP game where I just so happened to have other people playing around me (who were very cliqueish and apparently not interested in meeting somebody outside of their group).

I play MMO's to meet people, not to flex my e-peen from atop the mountain that I'm King of. It was quite disappointing to finally get into the world and everybody around me was just scurrying around like worker ants, oblivious to those around them. Why even play an MMO if you don't want to interact with people beyond yourself and your little group of friends?

If I can't find a good guild or a friendly, open group of people to play with, I will probably count this game as $60 wasted and just hope for better luck with AA (a title I also feel that a lone wolf like me will have a hard time getting into since so many guilds and groups seem static and unwilling to let a new person in, for whatever reasons).

TL;DR -- I'm a pathetically sad panda after playing for a few hours last night. Between saying all of three words in GW2 and UWO over this weekend, and meeting all of ZERO people to adventure with, I'm thinking my MMO days are probably behind me if I'm too socially inept to even make a friend. Sucks :(

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by Xzen

Only valid concern is number 3. The overflow makes it a pain to group. They need to just add an option to join the party leaders instance and problem solved.

Exactly.  Groups should get priority to be moved to the main world as one or, if there isn't room for the whole group, moved to the oveerflow as one.  But groups should never be broken up.

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256
    For everyone talking about the overflow problem in groups. Relax I'm sure it will be fixed in game, a lot of games that were in beta that had a similar mechanic had this issue, and they were all cleared up before launch. Most recently SWTOR, had that crazy cool down on switching instances, and you weren't automatically put into the instance with your party, it was fixed. This will be fixed too, but as it stood in the beta, yah it was whack :P Have no fear!
  • mrhyde1428mrhyde1428 Member Posts: 57

Lag:

First day, I experience some lag after entering a zone and a bit through some player heavy battles.

Second day, almost all the lag was cleared up, with the exception of fighting in really large groups.

Third day, I realized I didn't have graphics set to max and OMGawd its freaking BEAUTIFUL!  I only experienced a bit of graphical lag in the city at max graphics so turned it down one notch and then only experienced lag in really large battles.

The MOST AWESOME lag was at the end of the beta where it seemed like close to a hundred people were battling it out with the infamous Legendary Bunny Wabbit!  I was getting maybe 1 - 2 fps and it was EPIC!!!!

So, really think most of the optimization needs to be focused in the large-scale battles...perhaps scaling down the particle effects and auto-lowering character textures or something?