Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 5 Things People Are B*tching About

Comments

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Originally posted by BartDaCat

Originally posted by Asamof

Originally posted by reignjuste

Character models in Gw2 are incredible.

Rift had the worst character models ever seen in my life.

rift's were decent enough, but they were dangerously close to looking plasticy and a little uncanny valley 

also doesn't help that rift had no artistic identity of its own, the entire game was a soulless mish mash of popular cliches

I'm under the impression that she was referring to how much they could have pushed the graphic quality of the character models.  RIFT's artistic direction is rather flat, but the model rendering and attention to smaller details is pretty high for as fluid as that game runs, especially on Ultra settings.

fair enough, it does sound like the optimization in GW2 could be a lot better. I've been hearing a lot of complaints of how it runs, so hopefully that gets sorted out

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

The game got visibly better just over the weekend interms of performance... I can only imagine what they will be able to roll out in this area by launch.

Awesome game that will suit those that actually want and are open to a change in playstyle in their themeparks, as opposed to those that whine about WoW clones while actually playing WoW clones and attacking anything that isn't.

GW2 is the evolution I have been waiting for. It's a great game :)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Asamof

Originally posted by reignjuste

Character models in Gw2 are incredible.

Rift had the worst character models ever seen in my life.

rift's were decent enough, but they were dangerously close to looking plasticy and a little uncanny valley 

I had a real issue with Rift's in game models... they were animated horribly to my eyes and what I designed in the creator seemed to have very little to do with what I saw on screen. They always looked awesome in the generator :/

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508
    complaining about the overflow sounds ridiculous. If not for the overflow you would be sitting in a que watching a timer tick down for an hour and you wouldnt be able to play with your friends in that scenario either. But if people were sitting in a que they wouldnt be complaining about not playing with firends, theyve been conditioned to accept it.
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Originally posted by AI724

My 5 issues:

1. The game needs performance optimization, tweaks, etc

LAG was my issue even with lowest graphical setting (my system is old but it meets the spec reqirements. I will get new built but I still think the game needs system optimization)

2. Melee class combat and targetting

Countless times I lost targetted foe during chaoic melee combat with my Theif! One second I'm hitting the chosen target, the next second I lose that target lock and end up waisting a skill or two before realiziing I was hitting nothing! It happens constantantly. It was hard to get used to the combat system but I eventually got used to it but the targetting still SUCKS imo. What was wrong with GW1 targeting? It worked fine for me. Picked up and learned in 5 minutes!

3. Skill (H) panel interface

I find it hard to understand the skill system. It seems overwelming and complicated to learn. I was unable to figure out how to rearrange skills on my skill bar? (GW1 was so good, I just drag skill icons on skill bar and drop to another slot, very simple and works great).

4. Tutorials (people need to understand new skill system, combat, targetting)

Will you implement Turorials of how to play the game? Skill system turorials will be GREAT!

5. Mobs balancing

The mobs are just so tough and unbalanced. It took my lvl11 theif more than 10 deaths to beat a lvl11 Doc Howler in one of the Two-blade quest fight.

3. Complicated isn't a negative for me. It's not THAT complicated.  No, you can't change around your bar like you want. You need to select 6-0 abilities from the H menu because there are tons of abilities at 80 and you have to CHOOSE which you're going to have in a battle rather than having access to all of them. Did you know that you can go to the Mists lobby area and level to 80 and get all abilities and test on target dummies to your heart's content?

4. Tutorials are needed, but will probably come closer to release.

5. Balancing is PART of beta. BUG IT or nobody will ever fix it.  ALSO.. just because you're equal level with the mob doesn't mean you can take it inside a personal story quest. Those quests are meant to be REALLY HARD solo.  Ideally you should take friends with you, be VERY GOOD at your class, or go in a couple levels after the level of the quest.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Originally posted by spookytooth

complaining about the overflow sounds ridiculous. If not for the overflow you would be sitting in a que watching a timer tick down for an hour and you wouldnt be able to play with your friends in that scenario either. But if people were sitting in a que they wouldnt be complaining about not playing with firends, theyve been conditioned to accept it.

So what happens when guildies are going to do a dungeon or an event together and you can't join them because the server they are on is full.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by Mephster

Originally posted by spookytooth

So what happens when guildies are going to do a dungeon or an event together and you can't join them because the server they are on is full.

Not implemented yet, but you can join them on the overflow server when the full function is turned on.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    I dont really have any issues with the 5 items listed other than LAG...I dont think that is something that anyone actually likes...it was however a stress test so should be expected.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by ZeGerman

Originally posted by 4bsolute

Originally posted by Samhael

Guild cap = 100

That's probably going to kill it for me right there.

See ya on the other side :-D

Alts and mains show up as the same entry in a guild in GW2 so actualy 100 people not 60 people and a bunch of alts.  If you need over a 100 people in your guild than either they are inactive or you arent really interacting with all of them.  Form alliances and sister guilds to deal with people of different level groups and time zones ive never been in a game that needed more than 100 active players in a guild.

How presumptious of you!  Have you never heard of guilds like OldTimers Guild, Jeddit, The Older Gamers (among many)?  We have FAR more than 100 guildies in other games.  Why should we be limited to 100 in this one. 

• SpezzSpezz Member Posts: 141

Cartoonish?

Really?

• the bad character model (horrible finglers model) and  tree/landscape textures make me pruchased Tera Online immediately. 

sure I will play GW2 as it's buy to play, but the graphics is really a disappointment to me, it's not that ~~~~ bad compares to WOW, SWTOR, but it's not at the modern standard level as  an AAA title

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by torin23

1) I didn't like that all the females were rather thin.  I wanted a muscular, larger human female that wasn't a Norn.  Why can't I have this?

That bothered me, too.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GennerallGennerall Member Posts: 46

While I agree with some of those problems, I only had one major experience of lag and that was when the beta had just gone live. However for the rest of my time (playing on far shiverpeaks server) my experience was almost entirely lag free, unlike some of my friends who said their lag was almost unplayable :/

My biggest problem was with the WvW, the queue system (mostly for eternal battlegrounds) seemed to be completely broken, as well as the fact that there were simply not enough way points to travel to in each individual map meaning that I was forced to walk everywhere...and WvWvW is damn huge :P

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Having played both TERA and GW2 beta's now, I have this to say:

GW2 reminds me a lot of GW1, but with a bit more story. This is good. However, the storyline was not compelling enough for me to stay *awake* at the keyboard in the middle of sunday afternoon while playing my Charr warrior in the starter town. It quickly became "run around to the heart locations, farm mob x or do action y until bar is full, click on email icon, click on "take all", close email. Run into random event, press tab, hit buttons, get rezzed by other people when dead, rinse, repeat. I had no emotional investment in anything going on. "This is my story, and it's utterly boring." seems to be the GW2 theme. And once I've learned the 5 weapon skills for my weapon, is that it for the rest of my characters life? And GW2's famed combat? Well, it allows more movement than some other MMORPG's, but it's competitor TERA....

TERA's open beta: The prologue is a mess. It's cool to see what powers you'll have at 20, but with so little time to learn how to play, it's just a mess unless you've already played that class before. And it's a bit odd to be a level 20 "badazz" then suddenly you're heading back to the island as a level 1 recruit... "continuity has disconnected... please wait while continuity tries to reconnect..." Story? TERA doesn't really seem to have one. I gather there's some bad guys on the other continent, and some more bad guys on the Isle of Dawn, but there's no "why". On the plus side, the combat is far, far, more entertaining than GW2. While GW2 allows you some movement and a "dodge" every now and then, you are able to dodge all the time in TERA, and you need to because you really don't want to get smashed by that giant rock elemental in the face.

Graphics? TERA smokes GW2 in the character model department. That's to be expected I suppose from the Lineage 3 engine ;). Animations are also better, but GW2's aren't bad.

I suppose I've been spoiled by SWTOR's stories giving my character a purpose (even for all its other faults, SWTOR does the story pretty good, especially for a MMORPG). It's just hard for me to want to grind out levels for the sake of grinding out levels.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

My five issues -

1) Lag/Disconnects/Can't log in

Lag was not a problem after patching/magic wand waving on Friday. Dc'd twice or three times, one ctd and a few problems when I accidentally hit the "Windows" key, or alt-tabbed. Couldn't log in on Saturday for two hours or so, got one of the "server full" - or what the google thought were such -  codes.

2) Fight for Your Right to Party - Overflow splitting groups

Yea, that is a very annoying thing and should really be fixed soon. Why have a "main" instance? Just make all instances equal, number them and let you switch between them. GW1 managed to do this. At the very leats parties should be lept together.

3) Difficulty

I played a R with Longbow and Greatsword, so I got both ranged and melee combat. Ranged made everything pretty much "easy" setting. Only times I died was when I overaggro'd or fought several ranged enemies or didn't have room to kite. As Ranged I didn't even had to move that much. Melee against more than one guy required constant running. Events were hard, but doable if you had less than 8-10 guys there. More than 10 made everything easy to very easy. I hope they fix scaling for this and maybe up all mobs by a half-level or so.

About the pet - Don't set your pet to aggressive and let it run around. It's not a tank! I set it to passive and manually commanded attacks against specific targets. It still died against harder foes, but against anything else it did ok. Too bad you can't heal them except through your main heal. Tough choice - should I heal my pet and hope he'll pull through the fight, but run the risk that I need a heal before CD finishes and not have it available. I hope some trait gives you a dedicated pet heal.

4) Crafting vs loot

To start crafting you need mats, so you have to go out and adventure. To craft you need to be at a station. After getting some mats I doubt anyone would run back to town to craft, so you will do it the next time you go there. By that time you will have very likely found gear better than anything you can make.

Also, I thought we didn't have to create 100 rusty dull swords to be able to make a +1 rusty dull sword? Some mats and items seem to have crafting level requirements. Didn't craft a whole lot, so I might have missed something.

And junk loot? Stuff that can't be used for anything but weighing down your bags? How about throwing all the junk loot out and drop gold instead? Did I miss the inventory menu option for "sell junk"? I didn't realize I could just Fed-ex my mats to my Xunlai, so I might have.

Finally: Auto loot: good. Now, area loot, too, please!

5) Making Friends

Please add an option to add people from chat to friends list. Link list to mail system as well, so I don't have to type some 25 character name into mail, hoping I get spacing, punctuation and spelling right. Also, see #2 about partying.

• Glad to see once again the "bad" things mmorpg.com writes about, for the most part, dont even matter. Like the top5/10 best and worst things about GW2 article awhile back, the top 5 worst things were PvE roleplaying nerd trash that regular people dont care about about. 
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

My five issues -

4) Crafting vs loot

To start crafting you need mats, so you have to go out and adventure. To craft you need to be at a station. After getting some mats I doubt anyone would run back to town to craft, so you will do it the next time you go there. By that time you will have very likely found gear better than anything you can make.

Also, I thought we didn't have to create 100 rusty dull swords to be able to make a +1 rusty dull sword? Some mats and items seem to have crafting level requirements. Didn't craft a whole lot, so I might have missed something.

And junk loot? Stuff that can't be used for anything but weighing down your bags? How about throwing all the junk loot out and drop gold instead? Did I miss the inventory menu option for "sell junk"? I didn't realize I could just Fed-ex my mats to my Xunlai, so I might have.

Finally: Auto loot: good. Now, area loot, too, please!

Note that every zone is intended to have crafting stations set up somewhere. If you ever do craft, the quickest way to level crafting is to be an efficient discoverer, and by that I mean know exactly how many combinations you can make and create the materials for those combinations, then start discovering.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Originally posted by Four0Six

Originally posted by eafreak

One Word... B E T A

It was. What was different about this beta?..you all PAID to be in it. A genious move by NC/ANet to turn the tables and instead of paying testers or letting them atleast test for free.

I did not pre-order yet I am going to however after playing this weekend.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by travamars

Originally posted by Thodra

One Word... B E T A

It was. What was different about this beta?..you all PAID to be in it. A genious move by NC/ANet to turn the tables and instead of paying testers or letting them atleast test for free.

Please think before you post. Paid beta? lol no we paid for the game, and as a bonus, we'll get into the beta. Now we paid for the game, and we don't have to pay for it, at release

Yes you bought the game but you bought it this early so you could play the B E T A. So basicly you paid to play the beta.

I bought it this early for in-game shinies and to make sure I had a copy of the game at release. Others have their reasons as well. It seems the people raging over the beta are people that paid to be in the beta and expected something other than... beta.

No i think people are taking Anet's marketing at its face value and accepting that they did pay for beta, now whther they were expecting more is not the main argument here but that  Anet used beta to push more copies off the shelf and encouraged people to buy game this early without a release date.... well when an email is worded like this...

Want to play in beta? pre purchase Guild Wars 2 now!

I think it is self explanatory, now fans can put any twist to it they like.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by Chrome1980

One Word... B E T A

Please think before you post. Paid beta? lol no we paid for the game, and as a bonus, we'll get into the beta. Now we paid for the game, and we don't have to pay for it, at release

Yes you bought the game but you bought it this early so you could play the B E T A. So basicly you paid to play the beta.

I bought it this early for in-game shinies and to make sure I had a copy of the game at release. Others have their reasons as well. It seems the people raging over the beta are people that paid to be in the beta and expected something other than... beta.

No i think people are taking Anet's marketing at its face value and accepting that they did pay for beta, now whther they were expecting more is not the main argument here but that  Anet used beta to push more copies off the shelf and encouraged people to buy game this early without a release date.... well when an email is worded like this...

Oh plz, this has been done long before GW2.  Rift and SWTOR both did this and proboly others also long before Rift.  This is nothing new, I knew full well that I'd be getting GW2 regardless what was being hyped, getting Beta access was just a bonus.  Sure ANet used it as a marketing maneuver but if customers were that gullible then thats their own damn fault.  Pre-orders/pre-purchases that grant open beta access will be something customary now with future products.

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

"So, did you play in this weekend’s event?"

Yes

"What did you think?"

Thought it was pretty good for a BETA.

"What did you love?"

The classes. And being able to move and cast at the same time.

"What did you hear people complaining about?"

They're people, they complain about everything.  I don't usually pay attention to whiners.

"Should the folks making crazy demands after a weekendbeta test just chill and wait for launch before panicking?"

No, but they will.  Everyone has their own expectations.  They will want the game tailored to fit their "specialness".

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by Ambros123

Originally posted by Chrome1980

One Word... B E T A

Oh plz, this has been done long before GW2.  Rift and SWTOR both did this and proboly others also long before Rift.  This is nothing new, I knew full well that I'd be getting GW2 regardless what was being hyped, getting Beta access was just a bonus.  Sure ANet used it as a marketing maneuver but if customers were that gullible then thats their own damn fault.  Pre-orders/pre-purchases that grant open beta access will be something customary now with future products.

That is not what i am talking about. Great if it has been done before though. By the way it not about what you personally belief. For you it might be just a perk or bonus but that doesn't change the marketing language used to sell GW2 or opinions of other people invalid who did bought  this marketing line and paid for guaranteed beta spot. 

Again, the point here is not whether people were gullible and bought beta and later complained about it but simply dismissing opinions of those who believe that Anet did sell a beta to customers. 

You are mixing up two different issues into one. I am not talking about cutomers but Anet and whther did they or did they not sell beta.

• Epierce41Epierce41 Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by thedarkess

Originally posted by ShakyMo

My two biggest annoyances

1 too many sparkle effects

2 annominity in pvp. I get they did this so some poor souls wouldn't get picked on. But I want to be targeted, I want people to go "oh its that git" and single me out. MAKE IT OPTIONAL

I agree with you completely. Every player should be given choice if he wants to show or hide their name. This goes for WvW only. In structured PvP everyone see your name.

I think the issue with this might be that you'll have people with the same names on both sides.  WvW being from different servers and all.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

The big questions are:

- are masses of people in 2012 willing to cooperate in complex ways in a MMO anymore?

- are masses of gamers willing to learn a complex combat system and leave the WOW-concept behind?

- are many people patient when it comes to repeated dying?

- and most important: how does ANet handle the "emptying" of low level zones when people advance and nobody gets a group for the big events? (see SWTOR Heroics & Flashpoints)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RebornDragonRebornDragon Member UncommonPosts: 121

GW2 is not going to achieve greatness, sorry.