Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who likes the Downed State?

13»

Comments

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Opapanax

Love It! or I would've been making a lot more rez runs back from the portals. Something about a giant screams MEDIC!

Haha i was in a caravan event with at least 20 people, and we where all wiped in no time by a bunch of ratmen ambushing us lol, i think only a single dude managed to flee like a headless chicken and come back res us all and have us finish the event ;p That's what i like in betas, so many people playing together, its really  something nice, i hope the game will keep this feeling for a long time.

• levin70levin70 Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by levin70

I generally found the downed state completely annoying and utterly useless.  Most skills i found did not work at range, it would never hold target and i rarely ever recovered from a downed state except in DE type events where there were enough players to kill the npc's who had downed me.  I realize however, that i was low level, without any traits that could affect me while downed, so i am reserving any change comments except the one below until i can find out how it plays later in the game.

I think a suicide button would be fine to add immediately as it would give the player the power to end the downed state immediately, if he/she so chooses.

My opinion relates only to the PVE i played this weekend.  I did not PVP.

I don't get it.  My apology that you just "don't get it", but its hardly my fault you are incapable of understanding someone else's point of view.  If you are in a position where you cannot recover from the downed state (ie. being beaten on by multiple enemies), then the downed state would only last 1-2 seconds anyway  sorry - but in my time in game, even in DE's the down state with more than 3 or 4 npc's hitting me, the state lasted far longer than 1-2 seconds.  In general it lasted for 10 seconds at a minimum.  I found it completely annoying.  In all other cases, you can usually escape well then either you are super or i am just terribad then.  I get it..  If you're at range and out of harms way, you could press 4 and heal yourself to full  NPC's have ranged attacks to you know, or maybe you don't - did you even play the game this weekend?.  If enemies and allies are around you, can you keep knocking enemies back with 2 while your allies revive you I generally found than when people tried to help a downed player, me, when the fighting around me was still happening, they usually ended up in a down state or had to run away to stop taking damage.  If an enemy is low, you might be able to finish him off with 1 This only happened once for me - and I was downed a lot.  If you want to just get up instantly and try again at the risk of real guaranteed real death, press 3.  I thought the variety of options were perfect for the many situations one might find oneself in.  In all other situations where none of these options would suffice, you would die in a matter of seconds anyway.   While that may be true for YOU, I found it annoying.  I gave my response to the person who started the thread and asked the question. 

• ChillwolfChillwolf Member Posts: 33
    In general I enjoyed it.  I really liked watching the pile of people waiting to be ressed in front of a keep gate then picking off the one or two people who would run up to try to get a buddy. 
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I've noticed entire matches turn around due to a few clutch revives, they can make a huge difference in pvp.

Though I do believe that the downed state is better for some professions than it is for others. Thief and Mesmer seem to have the most impressive downed state so far, where as Guardian has a rather laughable downed state, still not a fan of Warrior's vengeance skill, seems like it should be more rewarding to score a kill from half health at that point, I guess it's better than the tickling skills that other profession have.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by thedarkess

Originally posted by sanshi44

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by stayBlind

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I would really like some abilitiy to rally downed allies from a bit more distant away. Because sometimes teammates get downed in the middle of massive zerg or AoE spam spots around a Keep or something. (Especially the Melee Fighters)

There's builds/skills for that ;)

Which is?

Elementalist (or was it Necromancer?) has a skill that rallies all allies in the target area, and give some health regeneration boost.

Elemetalist gets one that either rally somone with regen (water attune), rally somone and urself if you die shortly after (fire attune), rally somone and teleport them to you (lightning) and rally 3 people and i think they get toughness (earth) or somthing along those lines.

glyph of renewal ressurects up to 3 nearby allies while attuned to EARTH.

Quoting for fix, and double post!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Everyone being able to rez is nice.  Downed state though for my engineer, elemetalist and ranger sucked the big one.  Not once in the countless deaths I experienced, was I able to survive the downed state solo or in groups if someone wasn't either helping me bandage or killing the mob for me.

• Skyy_HighSkyy_High Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 138

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Everyone being able to rez is nice.  Downed state though for my engineer, elemetalist and ranger sucked the big one.  Not once in the countless deaths I experienced, was I able to survive the downed state solo or in groups if someone wasn't either helping me bandage or killing the mob for me.

Engineer actually has a pretty nice combo that can deal a substantial amount of damage, I managed to get up using that a few times. It's important to realize, however, that if you weren't close to killing a mob before you went down, you really aren't supposed to be able to get back up. It's not a life-saver, it's a last-ditch effort that will only work if you were close to getting a kill before you went down. 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

You don't NEED to check the bodies.  If you've won a battle, one scraggler isn't going to change that.  People who check are either playing pretend or just want an easy kill.

If the camera is restricted, hopefully they make that optionsl, and being able to crawl slowly would be cool.

I haven't played, but I saw a vid where a downed opponent sat their attacking the player for almost the full duration and wouldn't die.  And then the hoster of the stream was downed and once again wouldn't die despite being railed on.    So I don't exactly understand how that meshes with what I've read here.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Vorthanion

With elementalist it's pretty easy to go into the mist form thingy, go further, then apply bandage, but ye the mobs have to let you alone, so it doesn't work well when soloing. Also honestly i think the ele is a wonderfull class to play in small group, but its a difficult class to handle solo. You will probably need to play it a lot to master that class, maybe he is less squishy in highter level, but their damage output is amazing. Its way easier with the theif because it goes in hide mode, and drop mob agro. Its also a bit anoying in pvp because a lot of time if the theif hide quickly you won't be able to finishing him. But i think its part of class balance too. Warrior didn't seam so impressive in downed state, but i pretty much never died with him, i died a lot with the ele, was a bit ambarassing tbh ;p

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

Originally posted by PerfectBlend

Also dueling with someone only to both get each other into the downed state.... and have a downed state duel is epic...

This!

One thousand times this.

Some of the most fun I've had in PVP ended up like this =D

You don't even mind losing in this case, knowing you got them to the same place.

But the best one is when you get to this state and you're a warrior >=)

For the cost of not being able to rally, you can temporarilly rally, allowing you to run over and end your opponent while they cry hax, only for you to fall a second or two later. On the plus side? You got them first >)

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Didn't love it, didn't hate it.  It's an interesting concept.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I haven't played GW2, but it sounded a bit irritating from what I see. Also my first though was: "OMG, how can I attack anyone in PVP who is down!??" like feeling a great reluctance to strike at someone who is down on the ground before me... XD

The thing is, in this an other features, people do not *really* ask themselves, how will I like this feature after experiencing it 1000 times in 3-4 or more month. THAT is the real test. Many features in games were cool at first but got very, very annoying over time. I am sure a lot of people who praise such stuff now will sing a very different tune several months after release.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by adam_nox

You don't NEED to check the bodies.  If you've won a battle, one scraggler isn't going to change that.  People who check are either playing pretend or just want an easy kill.

I haven't played, but I saw a vid where a downed opponent sat their attacking the player for almost the full duration and wouldn't die.  And then the hoster of the stream was downed and once again wouldn't die despite being railed on.    So I don't exactly understand how that meshes with what I've read here.

Because in downed state, your health will fall down even if nobody's attacking you (unless you triggers the self heal, but as soon as you are hit, it's put on a moderate cooldown). So the only way to kill a downed player is to use the finisher button (interact button by default), which instantly kills him at the cost of a 3 sec cast.

If you just let him in a downed state, he can stand up 10 seconds later by simply autohealing, hence the need to check the bodies. The time you realize he's up, and start to turn back to him, he can have already shortened the other corpses timer to stand up. You then multiply this shortening by the exponential number of enemies who are progressively standing up. So a full group of winners going away without checking the corpses is potentially a full pack of enemy backlash 30 to 50 seconds later.

But once again, why am I arguing with someone who affirms something without having played the game.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    So I used the downed state with tactics, in WvW what would happen most of the time is that you would get a bunch of people fighting each other, if I got downed, I would tab to the nearest lowest health eneymy or mob mostly and kill it to get up again, it was fun.  It didnt happen all the time but happened more than enough to where it really is a good thing. =)

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I really like the downed state BUT i really wish it was like the downed state from Blade & Soul that you can crawl around for a short time to try and get away from the enemy.