Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 5 Things People Are B*tching About

Comments

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    lag wasn't an issue for me.  i was disconnected twice, and there were 2 points which the voice overs didn't work, but overall this was great.  i can't wait to try the asura and sylvari.  and i had no trouble with the overflows.  if the rest of your group wanted to, they could follow you into the overflow.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Originally posted by reignjuste

Character models in Gw2 are incredible.

Rift had the worst character models ever seen in my life.

rift's were decent enough, but they were dangerously close to looking plasticy and a little uncanny valley 

also doesn't help that rift had no artistic identity of its own, the entire game was a soulless mish mash of popular cliches

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Jolander

lag wasn't an issue for me.  i was disconnected twice, and there were 2 points which the voice overs didn't work, but overall this was great.  i can't wait to try the asura and sylvari.  and i had no trouble with the overflows.  if the rest of your group wanted to, they could follow you into the overflow.

This was not true. There were 50+ overflow servers and even when you and the other person accepted the travel to overflow option at the same time you still got spat out into different ones.  I figured a way around it because the actual game Que was bugged and not really full but it wasn't that simple to stay together.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    The humans male look very feminine. that's my only complain about characters.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Sector13

The game needs a lot of work. I am truely surprised how much people are praising this game. Compared to ANY action based game, this games combat is a poor immitation. I've had melee mobs hit me from like 10 feet away. I have circle strafed bosses to death with melee from 15 feet away. I've been hit by unavoidable ranged attacks, I've been hit even when dodging. The fact that they force you to rely on a dodge mechanic that you can only use twice in like 30 seconds. It was bad that I played PSO2 for a week beforehand cause it showed that a F2P game that is still in beta can do better then GW2 did in "B E T A". When Sega announced that they were extending the PSO2 beta into the weekend , I ended up playing that more then GW2 even after playing for a week before. 

Hmm, I and thousands of others must have logged into a different beta version. I had none of those problems.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    My two biggest annoyances
    1 too many sparkle effects
    2 annominity in pvp. I get they did this so some poor souls wouldn't get picked on. But I want to be targeted, I want people to go "oh its that git" and single me out. MAKE IT OPTIONAL
  • HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

Originally posted by travamars

Originally posted by Thodra

Originally posted by Four0Six

Originally posted by eafreak

One Word... B E T A

It was. What was different about this beta?..you all PAID to be in it. A genious move by NC/ANet to turn the tables and instead of paying testers or letting them atleast test for free.

Please think before you post. Paid beta? lol no we paid for the game, and as a bonus, we'll get into the beta. Now we paid for the game, and we don't have to pay for it, at release

Yes you bought the game but you bought it this early so you could play the B E T A. So basicly you paid to play the beta.

It's really that hard to understand or just trolling?

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Only valid concern is number 3. The overflow makes it a pain to group. They need to just add an option to join the party leaders instance and problem solved.
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Your topic points 5, 4 and 3 were the ones that most stood out for me. 

While the graphics aren't horrible, I expected something more. My Charr's body parts would clip through other pieces of armor. 

I didn't HATE the character models, but I was disappointed in them.  I made a Norn and two Charr, and the while playing the Norn, I felt like I was looking at an older Dark Age of Camelot model.  It didn't help that flaws in the coding forced me to turn down my graphic settings in densely populated areas to maintain a decent framerate, so the Norn's textures looked bland.

I expect the framerate issue to be worked out by the time the game releases though, it WAS a beta after all, but I really expected more from the character models. 

I DID turn the graphic settings to Ultra for a short while, and it wasn't much of an improvement at all.  RIFT's detailing and textures are a fair expectation for something that's supposed to be so "groundbreaking"... or TERA's for that matter, since people seem to want more of an "Eastern" flavor in Guild Wars 2. 

I was looking forward to seeing what the actual gameplay version of the Asura and Sylvari were going to look like.  Watching a video of gameplay, and actually seeing it on your monitor are two different things.  I can only imagine that the starting areas and major cities these two races will populate are going to be breathtaking, but aren't quite ready for viewing.

Overflow issues were a real pain.  I would be in the middle of an event with other players, and suddenly receive a warning that my character was being moved, only to find myself teleported to an area I originally logged in.  This is one issue that ArenaNet will definitely have to address, but for right now it's to be expected considering this game is most definitely in a REAL "beta" stage, and not just an early access preview or stress test.

I experienced a few crashes to my desktop, one that locked my entire system up and forced me to reboot.

I experienced a few issues with character responsiveness when I was in a "channel" with a higher population, but it was minute and sometimes resolved itself quickly.  Sometimes I would "rubberband" across an area, but not frequently.  I expect these latency issues to clear up when the game releases.  It's to be expected at this stage in the beta cycle, but I hope that ArenaNet obtained enough information about server performance to clear it up sooner.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by ShakyMo

My two biggest annoyances

1 too many sparkle effects

2 annominity in pvp. I get they did this so some poor souls wouldn't get picked on. But I want to be targeted, I want people to go "oh its that git" and single me out. MAKE IT OPTIONAL

I agree with you completely. Every player should be given choice if he wants to show or hide their name. This goes for WvW only. In structured PvP everyone see your name.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Stupidly fun time in WvWvW. And I would've prepurchased beta access or not :P

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by Slampig

Originally posted by Thodra

One Word... B E T A

It was. What was different about this beta?..you all PAID to be in it. A genious move by NC/ANet to turn the tables and instead of paying testers or letting them atleast test for free.

Please think before you post. Paid beta? lol no we paid for the game, and as a bonus, we'll get into the beta. Now we paid for the game, and we don't have to pay for it, at release

Genius spin, sir!

Forgive me for not understanding, but how is that a spin? I pre-purchased the game and therefore I was able to play the beta weekend. Or are you saying it's the other way around? We all paid for beta, and as an added bonus we get the full game on release? On an unrelated note, your username means "slutty" in Swedish.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Originally posted by Falcomith

I agree. My character looks great I thought.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/Falcomith/gw038.jpg 

Exactly. Didn't see anything wrong with the character models. As long as they don't look like WoW character models we are more than ok.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Asamof

rift's were decent enough, but they were dangerously close to looking plasticy and a little uncanny valley 

also doesn't help that rift had no artistic identity of its own, the entire game was a soulless mish mash of popular cliches

I'm under the impression that she was referring to how much they could have pushed the graphic quality of the character models.  RIFT's artistic direction is rather flat, but the model rendering and attention to smaller details is pretty high for as fluid as that game runs, especially on Ultra settings.

• AlbredAlbred Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Number 3 is one of the most important changes that need to be made.  The rest are "Beta Blues."
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

One Word... B E T A

Paid for the game myself. I don't have to think about it now and it's mine forever. No subs, no cancelling subs and starting them back up. No worries that my sub will be charged incorrectly. And by the way, I get to be involved and participate in my  investment by sharing information with the dev team via Beta. I win all around!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    I took part in the beta for a little while this weekend as a Norn Warrior while also playing Tera... granted I only played a few levels in GW2 (as Tera had their head start this last weekend as well)... I almost enjoyed the combat more ATM in Tera.
  • AlbredAlbred Member UncommonPosts: 48

I'll have whatever he's smoking.  Rift graphics are equal to, if not superior to GW2 graphics, especially character models.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

My 5 issues:

1. The game needs performance optimization, tweaks, etc

LAG was my issue even with lowest graphical setting (my system is old but it meets the spec reqirements. I will get new built but I still think the game needs system optimization)

2. Melee class combat and targetting

Countless times I lost targetted foe during chaoic melee combat with my Theif! One second I'm hitting the chosen target, the next second I lose that target lock and end up waisting a skill or two before realiziing I was hitting nothing! It happens constantantly. It was hard to get used to the combat system but I eventually got used to it but the targetting still SUCKS imo. What was wrong with GW1 targeting? It worked fine for me. Picked up and learned in 5 minutes!

3. Skill (H) panel interface

I find it hard to understand the skill system. It seems overwelming and complicated to learn. I was unable to figure out how to rearrange skills on my skill bar? (GW1 was so good, I just drag skill icons on skill bar and drop to another slot, very simple and works great).

4. Tutorials (people need to understand new skill system, combat, targetting)

Will you implement Turorials of how to play the game? Skill system turorials will be GREAT!

5. Mobs balancing

The mobs are just so tough and unbalanced. It took my lvl11 theif more than 10 deaths to beat a lvl11 Doc Howler in one of the Two-blade quest fight.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Shana77

I didn't like Rifts character models, and I only had lag on the first day of beta. The experience was flawless for me after. My biggest gripe is the chat system. The lack of a short range chat (/say) and chatbubbles is really hurting communication. 

Changing the MMO paradigm to me is not a gripe but the biggest advantage this game has for it. I think right now most people are tired to playing the same type of game for so many years and my guess is the public, like me loves the new direction in gameplay this game is taking. 

I have to agree wity you there. I don't really like Rift's character models. I do think Rift's models have a bit more detail but I gather that part of this is their anticipation of large world events and having hundreds of players fighting together (?)

My only issue was the lag which seemed be fixed on Sunday.

I did die a lot but then started to move a bit more and that seemed to solve it. I like a game where, if you dont' play well, you die.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

+1

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Originally posted by Sovrath

I have to agree wity you there. I don't really like Rift's character models. I do think Rift's models have a bit more detail

try putting your setting to highest quality- if your comp wont blow up, then will talk!....

details was flawless! best ive seen in a while.

• torin23torin23 Member UncommonPosts: 5

Hmm.  I had two problems that I had with the beta were a bit different.

1) I didn't like that all the females were rather thin.  I wanted a muscular, larger human female that wasn't a Norn.  Why can't I have this?

2) In my personal story, I didn't like that my toon was saying things I had no choice over.  I know that having options for response are an illusion of choice.  That ultimately what I respond with in the dialog won't change the storylines.  But I -like- that illusion of choice.

-------------

As for lag, I only got it on Friday.  Even with the massive cluster that we had in the last hour of Sunday night, I didn't get lag.

And the only problem with the overflow system that I had was not being transported to the same place in the 'real' area that I was at in the overflow area.  I should have to make my way back to where I was.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I thought the graphics were very good, and met my expectations.  Rift graphics dissappointed me, and was one of the reasons I quit that game after a month.  Being able to rez anyone at any time ROCKED!  As primarily a solo player, I found myself grouping way more than I would in any game to date.  As long as you contribute to a big kill you get a drop, and not having to join a group to be in one, means I will be much more of a community player.  This game may not be a total game changer, but I think that other game makers should look closely at what they have changed, as it improves the game play drastically.