Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game surprised me

2»

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by BartDaCat

I was on the fence about TERA as well.  A guild mate told me they liked the beta, and they disappeared for a couple of weekends to play it, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Even then, I was skeptical, but I gradually got into the gameplay.  I tried a sorceror first, then an archer.

I'm hooked!  I spent most of yesterday leveling an archer, and I was having a blast!

This one snuck up on me.  It gets minimal coverage compared to other over-hyped titles (looking at you Guild Wars 2), and it's a lot more fun to play.

I was actually in this weekend's beta weekend event for GW2, and I had more fun with TERA.

To be fair, GW2 really is in beta stage right now.  It's not a "stress test preview" so much as a real beta with occasional crashes and game-stopping bugs that I had to relog out of, so it's too early for me to pass harsh judgment on GW2, but I think TERA's in fine shape!

You and I were cut from the same cloth it seems Bart. It was like I typed this post myself. :)

<== lvl 31 Warrior

Joined - July 2004

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by remyburke

I was on the fence about TERA as well.  A guild mate told me they liked the beta, and they disappeared for a couple of weekends to play it, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Even then, I was skeptical, but I gradually got into the gameplay.  I tried a sorceror first, then an archer.

I'm hooked!  I spent most of yesterday leveling an archer, and I was having a blast!

This one snuck up on me.  It gets minimal coverage compared to other over-hyped titles (looking at you Guild Wars 2), and it's a lot more fun to play.

I was actually in this weekend's beta weekend event for GW2, and I had more fun with TERA.

To be fair, GW2 really is in beta stage right now.  It's not a "stress test preview" so much as a real beta with occasional crashes and game-stopping bugs that I had to relog out of, so it's too early for me to pass harsh judgment on GW2, but I think TERA's in fine shape!

You and I were cut from the same cloth it seems Bart. It was like I typed this post myself. :)

<== lvl 31 Warrior

You have a lvl 31 warrior?

I currently have a lvl 16 warrior alt and am having a blast. But I am wondering how warriors are later on. So what do you think about your warrior now in comparison to lvl 16?

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Ganathar

Originally posted by remyburke

<== lvl 31 Warrior

You have a lvl 31 warrior?

I currently have a lvl 16 warrior alt and am having a blast. But I am wondering how warriors are later on. So what do you think about your warrior now in comparison to lvl 16?

you are in for an Epic ride mate, From what my guildies said, Warriors get realllly fun in the 20s. They do have some epic skills.

<---------- 38 Sorcerer

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213
    combat animation fluidity is way better then GW2 button mash, but theres nothing new other then combat, same grind quest,level up etc,while GW2 provides cool events ,WvW,simple but nice crafting all as B2P :)
  • GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by clankyasp

combat animation fluidity is way better then GW2 button mash, but theres nothing new other then combat, same grind quest,level up etc,while GW2 provides cool events ,WvW,simple but nice crafting all as B2P :)

What are you talking about? This game has a political system, soloable BAMs, deathmatches, and is one of the few games with viable OWPvP and GvG. It even has Nexuses, which are like public raids where anyone can join. You make it sound much more generic than it really is.

It also has that combat system which is a much bigger change than what some people give it credit for. And on top of all of that the devs have pretty big plans in regards to future content.

• SlimrockSlimrock Member UncommonPosts: 8
    If there's anyone left with a spare buddy key, I'd love one.  I have the day off work today and would like to spend it giving this a go...
  • jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127

What are you talking about? This game has a political system, soloable BAMs, deathmatches, and is one of the few games with viable OWPvP and GvG. It even has Nexuses, which are like public raids where anyone can join. You make it sound much more generic than it really is.

It also has that combat system which is a much bigger change than what some people give it credit for. And on top of all of that the devs have pretty big plans in regards to future content.

these kinds of ppl refuse to absorb any positive elements of the game, gunning the game down with certain aspects and they never leave that subject. in their mind, they believe the game will always be the way  how they hated. no matter what have been implented.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

If you want a REALLY big surprise: Try Enmasse customer support, can't comment of Frogstar.....

Live chat 24/7..and yes they do answer and are VERY helpfull, you might have to wait for a bit, this weekend had I think 1hr+ wait for live web-chat, but still it was available.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Originally posted by Four0Six

If you want a REALLY big surprise: Try Enmasse customer support, can't comment of Frogstar.....

Live chat 24/7..and yes they do answer and are VERY helpfull, you might have to wait for a bit, this weekend had I think 1hr+ wait for live web-chat, but still it was available.

En Masse Customer Service is A+++

I really hope these guys pick up Archeage when it gets ready for deployment to the west.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Originally posted by jackwu10

these kinds of ppl refuse to absorb any positive elements of the game, gunning the game down with certain aspects and they never leave that subject. in their mind, they believe the game will always be the way  how they hated. no matter what have been implented.

He had some point... though quite a few false statements as well.

The whole leveling system is probably its weakest point... to the degree I couldn't bring myself to buy the game (paying for another and I can't dedicate myself to level quick enough to warrent a second subscription) I think its biggest flaw is its level grind. There are a lot of interesting features it has... but the journey to really get to explore those features is quite a rough and bumpy road.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by Purutzil

Originally posted by jackwu10

He had some point... though quite a few false statements as well.

The whole leveling system is probably its weakest point... to the degree I couldn't bring myself to buy the game (paying for another and I can't dedicate myself to level quick enough to warrent a second subscription) I think its biggest flaw is its level grind. There are a lot of interesting features it has... but the journey to really get to explore those features is quite a rough and bumpy road.

easiest grind I have ever done, not sure why everyone is griping.... got to lvl 22 over night....

Also I don't care how you dress your quests up with Text, Sounds, Voice, Variety, we have done it all, they are all the same from mmo to mmo.... get over it.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by Four0Six

it took less then 24hr to get my refund from them, they didnt ask for anything , just one post from me and i got my refund. their customer service is really good.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

After this week end I can say I am hooked. I can't get enough of this game.

These are the things I love of the game:

-Graphics and art style/design:  Unreal 3 engine is just wonderful, the game runs smooth and looks gorgeous on my laptop. Enough said. Art is eastern and not everyone's cup of tea but I love anime so I feel comfortable.

-Sound: The sound in combat is great. When you hit something it sounds and feels great. Cant describe this feeling much.

-Combat system: Tight and responsive controls, It just feels right, no tab targeting. You actually have to aim and dodge. No dice is rolled for a block or evade. I admit I am spoiled now. Everything else looks archaic.

-Collition detection: When you swing a sword, everything at range of arc will be hit. You can hide behind your tank and avoid all incoming hits, arrows, etc.

-No factions: Long time since we didn't have this in the genre. Very much welcome.

-Open World PvP: The adrenaline rush we all needed. In Betas there were so much ganking because people didn' care. But I noticed not so much gank in head start. People care now. Guild relations are starting to rise. I leveled to 24 on my Mystic and only got ganked once.

-No talent trees, but glymph system instead. Gives you more freedom to customize your character and style of play. Cookie cutter builds are not that evident.

-World is huge.

-Mount: Instant cast and get it at level 11.

-Customer Service: It's fantastic. I have used twice their online 24/7 customer service. Only waited 10 mins top and the agents really took their time to try to help me and were very kind. I also submitted a ticket and got respose and solved my problem in less than 24 hours.

Questing is same old and a bit repetitive but tbh I couldn't care less. Leveling is surprisingly fast.

I am eager to see how  the political system is gonna work. I think the succes of this game rely a lot on this aspect. Vanarch elections can't come soon enough!

The game could use a day/night cycle and dynamic weather system. I hope those are added later on. It would give so much more immersion.

The best of all is that I met some old Lineage 2 players by coincidence and we formed a guild. We are all eager for that drama and good old times....