Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potential EA buyout? Stocks jump 6% after buyout speculation

Gotta hand it to those folks at IGN.  They sure know how to knock a hanging piece of traffic bait out of the park!  They are getting it from Bloomberg.

Investors seems to believe such a move would help, if today's stock indications are saying anything.  But the biggest of the F2P developers borgifying EA?

And what would that mean for SW:TOR? 

Comments

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

If this ends up being true, I would not be surprised to see SWTOR going F2P (sooner rather than later) if the merge happens.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    Is it sad that this make my evil side smile?

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Do you think that would happen since they have some type of aggreement with Lucas?
  • AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Beyorn

Do you think that would happen since they have some type of aggreement with Lucas?

It would be interesting to know what would happen if EA was sold.   I don't honestly see it as even remotely possible... but just to see the implications on products that are based on IP license...  especially with an IP like Star Wars.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Might be the perfect way for EA management to cash out of a sinking ship.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    "There's always a bigger fish."

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Beyorn

Lucas only gives a damn about money.  As long as they promise to keep filling his coffers, and the new parent company says the (mostly) same people are in control, they'd be okay with it.

Then when the game goes F2P, they remind Lucas how he has been raping the wallets of Star wars customers for decades, and that they are merely inspired by his activities, and doing likewise with their "microtransaction" system, which promotes monetization and is ultimately "player choice" centered where you choose how much you are paying for!  And Lucas will simply say "blah blah blah, how much am i going to get paid?"

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

EA is trolling the stock market..

They know underhand tactics when they see one and aren't afraid to deploy them..

EA is off the chain man..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

Originally posted by Slampig

Said it before and I will say it again...RIF, it really IS fundamental!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-26-ea-to-be-bought-by-nexon-why-the-deal-cannot-happen-according-to-pachter

Might be BS.  But eventually these questions are going to have to be asked.  EA most likely won't finish FY2012 in the red.  Yes, they will pull in insane amounts of money through Madden.  But they now admit Mass Effect 3 sold below expectations.  TOR has the potential to not turn a real profit.  (remember, they don't get 100% of box sales, they gotta pay their staff and servers, and they just shelled out a lot more on their marketing blitz, and the loss of revenue over the free month)  Dragon Age 2 was basically a loss.  The game didn't even last a year before any future DLC was shelved.  It is the one time EA wasn't gungho about DLC.  battlefield 3, while technically gorgeous, didn't sell what they thought it would.  Eventually, EA is going to have to realize their pissing contest with Steam over Origin is going to have to be abandoned.

A company like EA wouldn't ever go bankrupt.  But it also can't last in its current form, especially with stocks plunging the way they are.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-26-ea-to-be-bought-by-nexon-why-the-deal-cannot-happen-according-to-pachter

good article, which I read - thanks for the link.

Currently bored with MMO's.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Interesting article and his points make sense.  The one thing that rings odd to me is that he "still loves EA stock" even after the company has been performing so poorly with what appears to be a bleak outlook for the year.  Still I can't find fault with his points unless he's blowing smoke somewhere.

I'm guessing the guy thinks they will find some way to stop the bleeding until Madden comes out, or he likes the idea of "interconnectivity" that EA is further pondering, such as what was previewed in ME3 where how you progressed in IOS games determined how successful you were on the console/pc version of the game.  (Is it safe to dispense with the idea that you could get the "best" ending and 5k GR by only doing the main campaign yet?)

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Well, EA is definitely heading towards either a buyout or Ch. 11.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    I had no idea Nexon was large enough to even entertain an EA acquisiton.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Ahhhh.... the always fun "buyout rumor."

Far more often than not it turns out to be the "last chance to get out with shirt still on your back."

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    I am more worried about UO,DAOC,Mythic,BW,SWTOR. EA can suck it, but what will happen to the others?
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

If this ends up being true, I would not be surprised to see SWTOR going F2P (sooner rather than later) if the merge happens.

SOE wanted SWG to go F2P, but LA was opposed to SWG going F2P, and hence it got shut down, so I do not see it happening, especially when there is nothing in place to make it F2P. At least SWG had the TCG, so a system was already in place to work with, SWTOR does not have anything like this. Although they could get something added, as SWG did not have it before 2008, but it means more work to get done.

SWTOR will more likely shut down than go F2P, but that is only going by experience of SWG. If all servers were fullish and there was no discussion on server merges / transfers due to low populations, then LA may agree to go F2P, but in its current state I do not see them bothering with making SWTOR F2P either.

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by punkrock

I am more worried about UO,DAOC,Mythic,BW,SWTOR. EA can suck it, but what will happen to the others?

Well Mythic and Bioware would be dead, they pretty much have been ripped apart from the inside out by EA already, so cut your losses on that, UO and DAOC would probably get support but possibly on a timer. SWTOR would die because one its just a bad game and costs more the keep up then to just let die, and two Lucas would never let it go FTP because he's a lunatic, so they would let it die Lucas throws fit, shrug. Probably get as much talent as they could from Mythic/Origin/Bioware, whoever didn't leave for greener pastures already and begin work on UO2 which would be highly viable and not have to worry about paying royalties to Lucas.

The Sooner TOR dies the better so they can try again and not ruin it next time.

Originally posted by goldiewilson

Originally posted by punkrock

Well Mythic and Bioware would be dead, they pretty much have been ripped apart from the inside out by EA already, so cut your losses on that, UO and DAOC would probably get support but possibly on a timer. SWTOR would die because one its just a bad game and costs more the keep up then to just let die, and two Lucas would never let it go FTP because he's a lunatic, so they would let it die Lucas throws fit, shrug. Probably get as much talent as they could from Mythic/Origin/Bioware, whoever didn't leave for greener pastures already and begin work on UO2 which would be highly viable and not have to worry about paying royalties to Lucas.

The Sooner TOR dies the better so they can try again and not ruin it next time.

If you really want a SW game, do you really think you are going to get people to cough up money for a SW IP if TOR shut down?

You might wanna be realistic in your expectations.  Much as I hate to say it, if you want a SW MMO, TOR is your last hope most likely.

• JobeArthurJobeArthur Member UncommonPosts: 41

What idiot would want to buy EA?

Although a ftp,play to win cash shops trying to nickle and dime you to death is still kind less scummy than a common business day at EA..

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    YouTube ser thats true, according to the wise interwebz EA is worst company than tobacco companies and weapons manufacturing companies.
    Nothing kill as much people as a bad game.

If its in the interwebz must be true. Right?
  • Toto020Toto020 Member Posts: 43
    Bain capital, whose board members include Cheney and Bush would love to be in another industry.  Especially a conglomerante like EA.
  • TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

EA going belly up? Looks like an early Christmas kids :D

If they get it cheap enough they could gut it and piece out all those ip's?

Originally posted by JobeArthur

What idiot would want to buy EA?

Although a ftp,play to win cash shops trying to nickle and dime you to death is still kind less scummy than a common business day at EA..

Your talking as a dedicated gamer.

To a businessman, there's plenty of profit to be made in EA.  Their sports division is super profitable.  They have a lot of intellectual IP's to previous material that could be used.

Hell, if anything EA needs chapter 11, so they can reorganize a smaller company. 

Although bioware might be in a bit of trouble if they did that.  Their past 3 games have come in under expectations as far as sales went (DA2, TOR, and ME3).

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Assumed Nexon really buys EA at some point. They'd have to raise a huge pile of cash to do so. Hedge funds sometimes do similar leveraged buys. But the bought companies are then burdened with the debt. A Nexon-EA deal would either leave the new company with lots of debt or the stockholders would have to live with lots of newly issued stocks (which are used to settle the transaction and which isn't that good for the stock price).

On the other hand. Does the industry really need a big company? Big companies will try to earn money with standardized products. Do you want standardized games? Gamers are already now complaining about EA mooching as much as possible from their existing IPs.