Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 5 Things People Are B*tching About

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This past weekend's first major closed beta event for Guild Wars 2 was a very exciting time for players looking forward to the game from ArenaNet. There is so much to love about GW2 and most of the weekend went without a hitch. Still there are things that people are kvetching about. See what we discovered people are talking about in The List today and then add your own thoughts in the comments. Are they justified, or is it just "beta blues"?

5. No Asura, No Sylvari

During the previous closed beta press events, journalists were allowed to try out the Norn, Human and Charr races. Each was written about extensively and most were hopeful that the illusive Sylvari and the hysterical Asura would finally make their appearance in game. Sadly, we were all disappointed on logging in this weekend to find that neither was included in this particular event. Still hope springs eternal and we’re keeping our fingers crossed for the next event.

Read more of Suzie Ford's The List: GW2 - 5 Things People Are B*tching About.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• One Word... B E T A
  • Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by eafreak

One Word... B E T A

Well i hope that they can change the character models for humans in that case, after all it still a beta.

• lisaroblisarob Member UncommonPosts: 93

This was there first open beta but give them time and this game will shine even better than it is now.

Best mmo game i have played in years well done A-Net

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    The game needs a lot of work. I am truely surprised how much people are praising this game. Compared to ANY action based game, this games combat is a poor immitation. I've had melee mobs hit me from like 10 feet away. I have circle strafed bosses to death with melee from 15 feet away. I've been hit by unavoidable ranged attacks, I've been hit even when dodging. The fact that they force you to rely on a dodge mechanic that you can only use twice in like 30 seconds. It was bad that I played PSO2 for a week beforehand cause it showed that a F2P game that is still in beta can do better then GW2 did in "B E T A". When Sega announced that they were extending the PSO2 beta into the weekend , I ended up playing that more then GW2 even after playing for a week before. 

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

I didn't like Rifts character models, and I only had lag on the first day of beta. The experience was flawless for me after. My biggest gripe is the chat system. The lack of a short range chat (/say) and chatbubbles is really hurting communication. 

Changing the MMO paradigm to me is not a gripe but the biggest advantage this game has for it. I think right now most people are tired to playing the same type of game for so many years and my guess is the public, like me loves the new direction in gameplay this game is taking. 

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

1. LAAAGGGG

This is true for the first day. But sunday was amazingly smooth for me in EU.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by thedarkess

1. LAAAGGGG

This is true for the first day. But sunday was amazingly smooth for me in EU.

Agreed for me in the NA. Yesterday was fine.  Maybe people don't game on Sunday?  :P

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

One Word... B E T A

It was. What was different about this beta?..you all PAID to be in it. A genious move by NC/ANet to turn the tables and instead of paying testers or letting them atleast test for free.

• captainnlcaptainnl Member Posts: 70
    I have never experienced any kind of lagg outside of the 100+ man keep sieges. Might be my server was the lucky one or most people just have crappy computers, but everything ran smoothly for me the whole weekend. 
  • StubbyGBStubbyGB Member UncommonPosts: 2

I agree with Thedarkness, the lag pretty much vanished after the first day. I thought the Human and Norn characters looked great. The overflow was a problem, I cant get my head around what they are trying to achieve. I guess people didnt like the instanced cities of GW1. At least give us the option of switching to the overflow from regular to keep groups together.

My only real gripe as a Ranger was that my pet was terrible, it died within seconds of the start of every fight, after that its little revive icon just got in the way.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

2. is my favorite

ummm... herp derp... challenges are too dificult, buff casters defenses, buff melee, nerf ranged (ok, ranged is maybe to strong, but who am i to tell :D) balance mobs etc.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Thank god the character models don't look like RIFT, I could never like them, and no matter how much I tried to ignore them they ended up putting me off my character.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I thought the character models looked great, but I appreciate stylized graphics. I read an explanation on why combat felt unresponsive at times so I do hope they deal with that before launch. The exciting bit will be seeing all the improvements they make over the next few months.
  • shalhassanshalhassan Member UncommonPosts: 43
    I had a bit of lag throught the weekend, but compared to other betas, it was actually quite good (D3 single player had more lag for me somehow).

I liked the combat, the fact that it's a mix of the old and new action oroented combat actually worked for me. I found early levels rough on some professions, but once you had a mix of weapons and skills, it became much smoother. I admit the dodge mechanic needs a bit more work, but otherwise I enjoyed it.

They mentioned that sylvari and asura wouldn't be in this build as soon as it was announced, so it suprises me that people are complaining about this. They still dont have a release date, so there is plenty of time left to test these things.

"A single battle you have won, but so quick to think that this will be the end? I, like fear, am eternal, and in your dreams, I shall forever haunt."

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

AWSOME weekend BETA!

the graphics blew every mmo out there out of the water!

the story and lore for each race felt like playing a differentt game everytime i loged in -no redundent quests!!! the event quests were amazing!!!!

and no LAG here either get a new system for its requiremenst or drop to a less populated server- i dont think Anet should compromise their quality due to cheap peoples equipment!

PVP content-AMAZING!!!

this is the GAME!!!- was the first time i ever answered questions for devs after each quests in a beta-just to congradulate them on great job!

and no LAG here either get a new system for its requiremenst or drop to a less populated server- i dont think Anet should compromise their quality due to cheap peoples equipment!

- and no ive never been a GW fan till this wekend!

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    I think it is a solid game that needs a little spit and polish.  I'm not sold that GW2 is a game changer but I had fun playing it (and after all isn't that what counts? fun?).
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    I hate the huge bulky male body types for Norn. It just looks out of place and is ridicilous. If they change that i'd be fine with the models overall.
  • I had no noticeable lag with the beta .. did get a few disconnects on Saturday but nothing major nor game stopping.  Overall I was pleased with the beta.  I spent my time trying out most of the different professions .. next beta will  be pvp for me, now that I got a handle on the mechanics of the game.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by captainnl

I have never experienced any kind of lagg outside of the 100+ man keep sieges. Might be my server was the lucky one or most people just have crappy computers, but everything ran smoothly for me the whole weekend. 

Same here husband and I had 0 lag all weekend.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Guild cap = 100

That's probably going to kill it for me right there.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

LOVE this game.  My lag is due to lack of optimization and not utilizing my graphics card to the fullest extent.  My CPU is old and it showed all weekend.  I could barely walk 10 steps in the Black Citadel due to FPS lag.  Other than that, my experience was fantastic and I'm suffering from withdrawal right now.

Personally, I didn't mind the character models.  As long as the game is nothing like Lotro's character models, it's all good.  

Also, I kind of hope they leave Sylvari and Asura out until launch, just so I have something completely new to play when it launches.  First character is going to be a Sylvari Elementalist on launch day.

I like the paradigm shift this game brings.  It's a breath of fresh air and makes the game challenging and fun and worth playing next to a subscription MMO in the coming years.  Fully expect to be subbed to TSW(although that lifetime sub is looking tasty) and playing GW2 on the side past the summer months and into the next decade.  Can't wait.

Final note, the Overflow issue.  I'm surprised it split parties up like that.  Even EQ2 and other games that utilize the layered instancing gets that right.  I had assumed GW2 was going to do that automatically.  Good thing people caught it now in Beta so they can work on fine tuning and fixing it. 

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444

Originally posted by Four0Six

One Word... B E T A

It was. What was different about this beta?..you all PAID to be in it. A genious move by NC/ANet to turn the tables and instead of paying testers or letting them atleast test for free.

Please think before you post. Paid beta? lol no we paid for the game, and as a bonus, we'll get into the beta. Now we paid for the game, and we don't have to pay for it, at release

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

5. No Asura, No Sylvari

its beta you spoiled brat!

4. Cartoonish Character Models – Norn & Human

Rift?-are you kiddng?..as a graphic artist i disagree here. the men where hot to look at!- not sure about the women...<.<

3. Overflows

no comment.

2. Changing the MMO Game Play Paradigm

And dam right they should!-best thing about the game!

1. LAAAAAG

perhaps you should actually be posting what the best system requirements one should have to play this game . Ill say it again-Anet should not compromise the quality of the game for people with old 'wow' computers.

<.<

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

One Word... B E T A

Oh really? Do i still need to pay for the actual game?

/sarcasm off

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by Thodra

One Word... B E T A

Please think before you post. Paid beta? lol no we paid for the game, and as a bonus, we'll get into the beta. Now we paid for the game, and we don't have to pay for it, at release

Yes you bought the game but you bought it this early so you could play the B E T A. So basicly you paid to play the beta.