Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really great game

BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Game is great, caught me off gaurd, I actually bought it and subbed.... Heh.

Game is in much better shape than GW2 and has way more meaningful PvP than GW2.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Comments

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Havent really tried GW2 it looks good aswell, but I have had my eye on this game since they released a couple of screenshots on their korean website, im really loving this game, the combat is a step forward for me, enjoying it thoroughly. 

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    This game caught me off guard too. I love it. I bought the collector's edition and can not wait to get home from work to play! What a pleasant suprise.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by eccoton

This game caught me off guard too. I love it. I bought the collector's edition and can not wait to get home from work to play! What a pleasant suprise.

mee too I stayed up most of the night and got to lvl 22, im a popori priest... I usually hate little munchkin type characters but fell in love with mine once I did the dance.... I lol evertime.

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I am a popori Sorcerer, love the race ^-^. One of my favourite race, Their animation is pretty awesome too. 

• ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Im enjoying the game too

But you 100% cannot say it has more meaningful pvp than GW2.

The only PvP that exists is open ganking. No goals, no objectives, no structured battlegrounds, just duels and on pvp servers, open world pvp with no reprecussions for gankers.

Explorer 73% Achiever 53% Socializer 53% Killer 20%

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by Archaegeo

Im enjoying the game too

The only PvP that exists is open ganking. No goals, no objectives, no structured battlegrounds, just duels and on pvp servers, open world pvp with no reprecussions for gankers.

you better look at what is to come then your about to be even more shocked... you can guild vs guild you can also fight for territory control with benefits and perks... just saying.  Also the PVP feels way more action packed and fluid than GW2 even if Anet polishes GW2 PvP still going to feel like WAR... just saying.

Currently you cannot GvG on a PVE server.

PVP servers retain the fact that western gankers (those who attack people 6 or more levels below them with no risk) QQ's so much that all penalties from infamy were removed.

So currently, there is NO pvp content other than random gankage, duels, or GvG (for no purpose other than GvG) on PvP servers.

I like the game, just dont go making false claims about it.

GW2 has WvWvW pvp that Tera doesnt even come close to touching. Its a different game.

Tera was, like SWTOR, apparently SHOCKED that people want to PvP.  They had 7 PVE servers at launch and 3 PVP, which rapidly all had queues to log in, so they made a 4th PvP yesterday that they will give free transfers to today.

But it remains a fact that for the western market, the game was made easy mode.  (ie, no ganking penalties and enchantment failures do not lower the enchantment on your item)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Tera's a really fun game and I'm enjoying, it, but please leave off the comments about it having 'more meaningful' PVP, it doesn't and telling folks it does is misleading.  (see DAOC, EVE, Lineage 2, DF etc) for examples of titles with more in depth PVP mechanics.

It might become more meaningful in the future, but for now it's a largely tacked on mechanic that if you enjoy PVP just for the "fun" of it, PVP servers would be the way to go.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

PVP servers retain the fact that western gankers (those who attack people 6 or more levels below them with no risk) QQ's so much that all penalties from infamy were removed.

So currently, there is NO pvp content other than random gankage, duels, or GvG (for no purpose other than GvG) on PvP servers.

GW2 has WvWvW pvp that Tera doesnt even come close to touching. Its a different game.

Tera was, like SWTOR, apparently SHOCKED that people want to PvP.  They had 7 PVE servers at launch and 3 PVP, which rapidly all had queues to log in, so they made a 4th PvP yesterday that they will give free transfers to today.

But it remains a fact that for the western market, the game was made easy mode.  (ie, no ganking penalties and enchantment failures do not lower the enchantment on your item)

Having Infamity is the penalty, If people see your name red you are dead 90% of the times. and losing crystals can cost a fortune everytime you die. Now lets talk about PVP servers, the GvG is amazing, you can basically have a war with 6 guilds or more at the same time and fights over world bosses, BAMs are pretty common. TERA's pvp simply blows GW2's pvp, TERA is all about freedom, The community can create PVP events, deathmatches which people can bet on.

These alone keep the PVP alive in TERA, Now add in the Politics as well as the incoming  Server vs server Pvp and the Action combat. Tera is a lot better as far as pvp goes. GW is all about structured PVP without a single way to have good old open pvp, TERA does both. Easy mode you say? how far did you get? I would like to know because TERA is far from easy, Let me see GW2's combat? That cluster-fuck is all spam, hell from what I seen, people just small w/e ability they have off Cooldown. Oh and btw its not their fault that the western market likes to be Spoon fed and GW2 proves it. 

The Community in TERA will be very strong through the GvG and other PVP, Unlike all the other games where you can Faceroll from 1 to end game without speaking to a single soul. 

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Betaguy

Of course its in better shape than GW2,it's had weeks of beta weekend testing.Don't get me wrong,i think tera is a great game to be honest but it's a bit silly comparing how well it runs to GW2 which is still in early beta.

PVP in GW2 is more meaningful than Tera.

Infamy needs a penalty.

Being permared because you only attack those 6 levels or more below you (which is the only thing that gives infamy) is moot because the true ganking groups stay red anyway AND, AND, they can hide in cities.

I would accept that Infamy is a drawback if it meant Red=Dead everywhere, but it doesnt.

The only people who infamy provides some reprecussions to are solo gankers, because yes, then they get harassed, but they can change channels too to "run"

Im not saying bring back all the penalties (ok, I am, are Koreans tougher than us in PvP???) but at least make it so that you cant hide in a city if red.

You dont have to make the guards attack the infamous (they should) but at least make it so they cant sit there and spout crap on the open chat with no chance of doing anything about them.

True pvp only works when there are reprecussions for your actions.  Without jail/cops, our world would be one full of the guy with the gun shooting the guy without just because he can (Level 30 vs level 20).  And how silly would it be if he could then run into the city and stand there joking about it.

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by Azmodai

Having Infamity is the penalty, If people see your name red you are dead 90% of the times. and losing crystals can cost a fortune everytime you die. Now lets talk about PVP servers, the GvG is amazing, you can basically have a war with 6 guilds or more at the same time and fights over world bosses, BAMs are pretty common. TERA's pvp simply blows GW2's pvp, TERA is all about freedom, The community can create PVP events, deathmatches which people can bet on.

These alone keep the PVP alive in TERA, Now add in the Politics as well as the incoming  Server vs server Pvp and the Action combat. Tera is a lot better as far as pvp goes. GW is all about structured PVP without a single way to have good old open pvp, TERA does both. Easy mode you say? how far did you get? I would like to know because TERA is far from easy, Let me see GW2's combat? That cluster-fuck is all spam, hell from what I seen, people just small w/e ability they have off Cooldown. Oh and btw its not their fault that the western market likes to be Spoon fed and GW2 proves it. 

The Community in TERA will be very strong through the GvG and other PVP, Unlike all the other games where you can Faceroll from 1 to end game without speaking to a single soul. 

Glad you like TERA's PvP, but the definition of good PvP doesn't exist, it all depends on personal preference. If someone doesn't like OWPvP, GvG and deathmatches, he will not like TERA's PvP no matter what you tell him.

Of course we will get battlegrounds, server vs server and "maybe" server invasions in the future.  So I would advise the PvPers who don't like TERA's PvP to try TERA once these features are out. It might even have a free trial by then.

Server Invasion in TERA would be E-P-I-C. I played a game called Aika with a similar feature, It was a Blast even though the game was lacking. But yeah I guess not everyone like these kind of PVP.  TERA is about having fun during the PVP rather than grinding for Points or some other form of reward. I mean in how many games do you Sit around a fire with 10+ people that you don't even know and talk/Duel for an hour or so =D.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I haven't been this addicted to an MMO since DAoC, and if you check your calendars, you will see that was a while ago. :)

Joined - July 2004

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

This post would have been better if you explained why you liked it amongst other things, instead you compare it to GW2 to gain attention and start another TERA vs GW2 argument? Yes it is in better shape, It was released about a year ago in Korea.

To say the PvP is more meaningful than GW2 is out of line though, even on GW2's first BWE the PvP is far more meaningful than what TERA has.

Yes I've played both games.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

Originally posted by xposeidon

This post would have been better if you explained why you liked it amongst other things, instead you compare it to GW2 to gain attention and start another TERA vs GW2 argument? Yes it is in better shape, It was released about a year ago in Korea.

To say the PvP is more meaningful than GW2 is out of line though, even on GW2's first BWE the PvP is far more meaningful than what TERA has.

Meaningful and fun are different though, I mean I could argue that WOW's battlegrounds are more meaningful than TERA according to your definition of meaningful, You are implying that the meaning has to be Preset by the Developers which in my opinion is not as fun as simply starting a huge war for what could have been a really small conflict such as an argument between 2 people or just fighting over a boss Etc. 

• FeudalismFeudalism Member UncommonPosts: 67

I couldn't agree with most of the posts on here more. Tera really took me by surprise; it was only a week or two ago when I was thinking GW2 was going to decimate it. I was terribly disappointed by the GW2 beta. Even if they get the lag cleared up, the combat won't change from being sloppy, slow, and unresponsive feeling. I couldn't believe how much it felt like WAR! Ugh...I'm glad I didn't pre-purchase.

Tera has the smooth, action-point-and-click combat which is not easy in a PvP situation. The graphics are beautiful, it's very well-optimized (running on a Core 2 Duo and getting stellar performance), the animations are solid, races/classes are cool, weapons and art are really sweet. Most important is how engaging the PvP is. I mean, for Guild Wars 2 to be called "Guild Wars", there's really no major warring between guilds. In Tera, you can declare an actual war against another guild and the whole server knows.

The PvP in Tera allows players to create their own content in a sense; you can fight in open world or arrange a deathmatch (large duel) and wager money! My friend and I killed hours just riding around, engaging small fights in our zone. Finally, there is LOTS of content on its way very soon. All you need to do is translate some Korean patch notes and you'll get a taste as to what is around the corner.

Tera has made me not even think twice about GW2.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

I'm enjoying the game too, more than I thought. While not perfect, the combat style is really something I've been looking for.

In regards to PvP, meaning is in the eye of the beholder. On the same note, its all fleeting in virtual world and really cannot be defined beyond the moment at which you enjoy it. Nothing more. 

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by Azmodai

Originally posted by xposeidon

Meaningful and fun are different though, I mean I could argue that WOW's battlegrounds are more meaningful than TERA according to your definition of meaningful, You are implying that the meaning has to be Preset by the Developers which in my opinion is not as fun as simply starting a huge war for what could have been a really small conflict such as an argument between 2 people or just fighting over a boss Etc. 

Im gonna say this, look at L2, L2 still has one of the best PVP systems out there, and yet, it still only provides the ability to kill anyone in the world and the 2 hour gap in sieges. The meaningfullness came from people creating conflicts and forging alliances to rule, a small conflict could escalate into full on war. 

It doesnt have to have a hand held system of battlegrounds, or some sort of sandbox implying "Go and fight now! This is an epic war!". I am more for the freeform political meta game, rather than some forced battleground, that just resets when the timer ends. Them being the original Team on Lineage 2 at NCSoft I dont think sieges are too far off on their dev schedule, the Vanarch and Exarch is definetly a good start for it tho. And I am looking forward to seeing the politics playing out.

• VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I play on the RP-PvE server.  I like the general maturity of RP servers but I do also like PvP.  I have NEVER had more fun dueling in a game.  The PvP (like the PvE) is super skill based and really dynamic.  It feels like YOU are doing the fighting, and not your gear and skill spamming.  Right now there are achievements in the game for winning lots of duels, doing deathmatches, and doing battlegrounds.  En Masse will be putting battlegrounds in the game for endgame which will be awesome.  And I believe they will also be adding GvG for the PvE servers, although I am not sure.  Either way, the combat MAKES this game.  Truly surprised.
  • otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Im enjoying the game too

you better look at what is to come then your about to be even more shocked... you can guild vs guild you can also fight for territory control with benefits and perks... just saying.  Also the PVP feels way more action packed and fluid than GW2 even if Anet polishes GW2 PvP still going to feel like WAR... just saying.

No, you can't.... just saying.

There is no territory control in Tera. Nor a siege system.

This is why can say Tera's pvp is more fun in your opinion but not that it's more meaningful. Tera's pvp is (right now) without an objective or a goal. You pvp because .... you like to kill people.

• TheDubanat0rTheDubanat0r Member Posts: 76
    there are plans to bring battlegrounds
  • yononanyononan Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by otacu

Im enjoying the game too

No, you can't.... just saying.

There is no territory control in Tera. Nor a siege system.

This is why can say Tera's pvp is more fun in your opinion but not that it's more meaningful. Tera's pvp is (right now) without an objective or a goal. You pvp because .... you like to kill people.

Tera Battlegrounds were slated for US Release but they delayed it.

Also, Tera has GvG war declarations while GW2 has nothing of the sort. Tit for tat, I actually feel Tera's system has a lot of potential especially with the Vanarch system in play.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Thats great that your enjoying Tera.

I personally have no interest in Tera as it has too many old conventions I dislike. I would hope that this game is in a little better shape than GW2 considering it has been released for over a year.

I see many GW2 threads you come into and post negative fantasy troll posts. The funny thing is no one discusses much of anything in those threads except about GW2 topics and gameplay.

It seems you are insecure about Tera and feel GW2 is some type of threat. Don't be concerned though. Comparing these 2 titles is like comparing apples to oranges.

Enjoy Tera and hope you have fun.

• yononanyononan Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Thats great that your enjoying Tera.

I personally have no interest in Tera as it has too many old conventions I dislike. I would hope that this game is in a little better shape than GW2 considering it has been released for over a year.

I see many GW2 threads you come into and post negative fantasy troll posts. The funny thing is no one discusses much of anything in those threads except about GW2 topics and gameplay.

It seems you are insecure about Tera and feel GW2 is some type of threat. Don't be concerned though. Comparing these 2 titles is like comparing apples to oranges.

Enjoy Tera and hope you have fun.

You're kind of doing the same thing you're accusing him of, no?