Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Iam at the point, where I would actually like a Healer profession

Comments

• PerfectBlendPerfectBlend Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by Zookz1

Without healers, PVP instantly turns into a DPS button mashing tunnel visioned clusterfuck, so yes, I'd like to see a healer class.

Yes if you don't know how to play... and are playing against people who don't know how to play...

In this game target switching, positioning, and bursting with ultimates are all a part of getting a kill.... its actually super hard to get a kill 1v1 vs a competent player... sometimes impossible if the class can run away and heal effectively..

But its not about killing... its about staying alive to capture objectives... Ive won so many games just capping points while my opponents slugged it out far away from objectives.

Sometimes in large battles it is a clusterfuck.... but I imagine being in a real large scale battle with 50 players would be that way....

The games very realistic imo

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Wow, so much die and revive. Some attacks simply can't be avoided without being shut down.
    a healing class would be nice. The AoE here is crazy. 
    I had asked this question in the game, and got lots of agreement .
    what about you all?

I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

This is a huge thing they are doing moving the genre forward. What possible reason do we have to move back. If people are dying too much it is one of a few things.

1: No one knows how to play the game well yet. I mean, it's not even out yet, is it?

2: The people that are dying are just plain bad players and would die a lot regardless.

3: The game isn't properly balanced just yet, either with specific events, professions, weapons, abilities, etc.

4: The game is meant to be harder than other facerollingly easy MMOs.

I have a feeling it is some combination of them all.

But please, Light preserve us no! Don't bring back a Healer profession. Just no, never, ever, never. It's stupid, and a terrible idea, that takes us backward in terms of innovation and progression the genre. This is like saying "let's have no instances and use quests for everything so all bosses are out in the world and people get to corpse camp them again."

Ugh. Just, ugh.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    The reason why there is no dedicated healer is because everyone can heal. IF a guardian popped a healing breeze at the same time as a Necro popped a well of blood at the same time as an Ele popped a healing rain at the same time as the Thief popped a shadow refuge, at the same time as the warrior popped a healing banner congratulations, you have just survived a lot of damage and healed your whole team.

This is not a game.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Leodious

Wow, so much die and revive. Some attacks simply can't be avoided without being shut down.

what about you all?

This is a huge thing they are doing moving the genre forward. What possible reason do we have to move back. If people are dying too much it is one of a few things.

1: No one knows how to play the game well yet. I mean, it's not even out yet, is it?

Doesnt take much to get use to it. Well for me at least. The combat wasnt that hard if at all. NPC can be ....nvm I wont mention this part.

2: The people that are dying are just plain bad players and would die a lot regardless.

This just isnt true. Bad and Good players will die. Especially when in Melee combat. You will die a lot. Melee will get focus fired in PvP. simple as that. very easy to die. Dodging doesnt work like some people seem to think it does. Dodging doesnt avoid all attacks. Especially when that attack is a AoE spam fest. Which you will run into a lot often in WvW. Nothing but major AoE spam fest. Can only dodge a few times before using up all your dodge. Avoidance skills have long cooldowns. Pretty much, if you get focus fired, thats it for you. you are going downed. And when Downed it is very likely you will be defeated as well by zergers, or AoE damage.

3: The game isn't properly balanced just yet, either with specific events, professions, weapons, abilities, etc.

Well doesnt this contradict your number 2?

Huh? lol Ranged is face roll. Melee if gimp. No idea what you played. Range is very easy. Melee is not easy because you are set up at a major disadvantage in both PvP as well as PvE.

But please, Light preserve us no! Don't bring back a Healer profession. Just no, never, ever, never. It's stupid, and a terrible idea, that takes us backward in terms of innovation and progression the genre. This is like saying "let's have no instances and use quests for everything so all bosses are out in the world and people get to corpse camp them again."

Ugh. Just, ugh.

Have you played beta this weekend?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• maskmurdamaskmurda Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Another cry baby thread.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

No, that would turn the game into cakewalk buttonsmash

like any traditional mmorpg out there.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Draftbeer

huh? its already like that. spam abiltiies when they off cooldown, and stay out of circles.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by Draftbeer

huh? its already like that. spam abiltiies when they off cooldown, and stay out of circles.

huh? no it's not

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

No. 

This is one of fundamental mechanics. 

Having dedicated healer or not having it is HUGE. 

This would require alog of changes into combat mechanics and other things.

So no.

Besides one of biggest 'things' that kept me played GW2 beta and taking best enjoyment out of mmorpg in last few years was that this game is more 'challanging' than most of AAA mmorpg's in open world department and that it is diffrent , and you have to take care of yourself alot more.

So NO to dedicated healers in GW2.

There are plenty of games with dedicated hearlers - some of those games are really good - so if anyone wants game like that he/she have broad choice.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

I wouldn't want to see healers in GW2 for so many reasons that I'll name just a few:

1) Way too many people are, simply put, terrible at healing. Maybe they're terrible at DPS too but this doesn't affect their team's viability so drastically. I had to healbot in WoW, I had to healbot in WAR, I had to healbot in Rift... because when I didn't, it all went to hell. For some reason people just don't understand how healing works in PvP. And I'm sick of watching green bars instead of actually playing the game.

2) Healing breaks the learning curve. When people fight against randoms and have a half-decent healer, they can play recklessly, they can overextend and get away with it. Then they meet a premade, they get focused and steamrolled repeatedly, they ragequit or start whining on forums. Overextending isn't OK. If people don't learn this among other fundamentals of PvP, they end up stuck with an unsound playstyle that will only cripple them later on.

3) When you add healing, whining increases tenfold. I'll explain why. Since focusfire and CC are legit, typical HPS of a healer should be 1.5-2 times typical DPS of a damage dealer. This leads to fairly long fights requiring a lot of maneuvering and terrain use especially in rated arenas. Naturally, long fights require patience and most gamers aren't known for being patient. Do you want to read over 9000 threads about how healers are overpowered and how healing should be nerfed?

4) No matter what, dedicated healing becomes a burden at high rates. Experienced high rated team always have competent healers who know all moves and counter-moves. Their performance is more or less defined by their raw HPS. Moreover, if healing classes are strong overall, mana effectiveness dictates the outcome of the entire match. (And if there's no finite resource like mana in game, you're going to see long annoying stalemates.)

5) Partially covered this in 1) but it's important enough to reiterate once more. Healing is too big to fail. You have to rely on your healer to some extent and even if you use vent some unfortunate lag spike can cost you a game. Statistically it all evens out but immediately it's very frustrating especially in larger brackets like 5v5.

---

If you want more insight, try LoL. While LoL is a MOBA, not a MMO, it's a PvP game where clever positioning and well-timed use of abilities win the fight (as opposed to aim and good reaction in shooters for example). So there are certain similarities. LoL doesn't have dedicated healers but some champions can heal a bit. It's no coincidence that Soraka (healing support champion) statistically has one of the highest W/L ratios. And no, you can't pick Soraka and hope to carry your team single-handedly against a 2k elo enemy team. But when the odds are more or less equal, little HPS goes a long way.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

Big fat no from me.

1) Great not having to wait for healers to do dungeons/encounters

2) Great not having to wait for a healer to run a succesful pvp group

3)Great not being a healer in pve (such a dull and easy class to play in previous mmos, was just mana management.)

I think in pvp the only times i died were when i got caught alone by greater numbers. On my mesmer I had this 1v1 against a warrior which lasted for like 15 minutes, and then a ranger from the 3rd faction joined in, so it was a 3 way. They were both on me, I gained some ground using escape tools, got my health back, came back and started on the ranger, but he ran and the warrior high tailed it. So none of us died. And not a healer between us, just using self heal effectively.

It's annoying that in other mmos, where it's class dependent the group with the healer will win out.

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

I have played a Healer for 7 years now. 

I tried a water elementalist and a guardian its not the same at all.

I will buy and play the game but I am really gutted still about this. Give me my  GW1 Monk back!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I'm going to have to say no to a healer also. This is a new and fresh game, the design makes it feel more like what a true mmorpg should be. The single player rpgs I have played you play by yourself. You struggle to survive and learn by your mistakes. There are no tanks and healers following you and assisting in your adventures and that makes it a challenge to me. I am the master of my domain! (Not like on Seinfeld). :D

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SlaymordenSlaymorden Member UncommonPosts: 4

Playing an elementalist gives you two beginnning heals right out of water.  I died when I got stupid and stood too close to combat or was piled on by more than 3 at a time.  No healer is going to help then either.  No healer class please.  We are trying to break out of the old frame of mind and enter a new one.  Play smarter is right,  All a healer class does is WOW you into button mashing or mindless combat.

What the game needs is more considerate people who will stop or run to the aid of anyone who has fallen to revive them.  GW2 is trying to promote unity in the community so in next beta weekend, stop and help a fallen comrade.  It's better an the karma.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I miss having a healer as well. There were times in the beta that I was out in the wild and found someone else there with me. Although I revived the other players whenever they died (and I got a way) I could do little in the way of healing. Very disappointing.
  • GilwenGilwen Member UncommonPosts: 48

People need to learn to heal themselves and others with what they have and not expect one class to do any single role. There are no tanks or healers, there are only combatants.

Most classes have somekind of friend heal they can use, some have better than others sure, but it won't make them healers.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

No healers, No tanks.

I already play a mmo with a holy trinity that im quite happy with.

Guild wars 2 is supposed to offer a different experience over my current game.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Leodious

what about you all?

Doesnt take much to get use to it. Well for me at least. The combat wasnt that hard if at all. NPC can be ....nvm I wont mention this part.
    This just isnt true. Bad and Good players will die. Especially when in Melee combat. You will die a lot. Melee will get focus fired in PvP. simple as that. very easy to die. Dodging doesnt work like some people seem to think it does. Dodging doesnt avoid all attacks. Especially when that attack is a AoE spam fest. Which you will run into a lot often in WvW. Nothing but major AoE spam fest. Can only dodge a few times before using up all your dodge. Avoidance skills have long cooldowns. Pretty much, if you get focus fired, thats it for you. you are going downed. And when Downed it is very likely you will be defeated as well by zergers, or AoE damage.
    Well doesnt this contradict your number 2?
    Huh? lol Ranged is face roll. Melee if gimp. No idea what you played. Range is very easy. Melee is not easy because you are set up at a major disadvantage in both PvP as well as PvE.

Ugh. Just, ugh.

Have you played beta this weekend?

Yes, melee is weaker than I would like, but that is a balancing issue. Healers would ruin the very essence of the combat. But if you get focus-fired, you should go down. That's the point of focusing fire, now isn't it?

I'm really glad you read and understood my post instead of trying to refute each point individually, when they were not individual points.

I don't know what game you were playing, but the game I played would be destroyed by having a dedicated healer.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Slaymorden

Playing an elementalist gives you two beginnning heals right out of water.  I died when I got stupid and stood too close to combat or was piled on by more than 3 at a time.  No healer is going to help then either.  No healer class please.  We are trying to break out of the old frame of mind and enter a new one.  Play smarter is right,  All a healer class does is WOW you into button mashing or mindless combat.

What the game needs is more considerate people who will stop or run to the aid of anyone who has fallen to revive them.  GW2 is trying to promote unity in the community so in next beta weekend, stop and help a fallen comrade.  It's better an the karma.

I actually had fun doing this a good bit saturday. Downed players show on the map, I actually had a little fun finding and raising them and it usually led me to an DE going on lol.

Being able to see downed players was a unexpected surprise. I don't think many noticed or knew about this.

• PerfectBlendPerfectBlend Member Posts: 49

I dont get what people are even saying....

The game does have healers....

If u wanna be one....

Equip a weapon with a regeneration skill attached to it.... choose a group wide heal for your 6 slot, and defensive or supportive or even more regeneration skills for your utilities... then run around ccing, casting regeneration, possibly removing conditions or adding boons to teammates, or generate teamwide auras..  and when necessary rez your teammates.

There Omgeezuz Your  a Healer.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by headphones

Originally posted by Zookz1

Without healers, PVP instantly turns into a DPS button mashing tunnel visioned clusterfuck, so yes, I'd like to see a healer class.

as opposed to the "oh. the other team has a healer and we don't. let's stop playing now" mentality.

Like I said, that's happened before to my group in WoW plenty of times, and it was a problem in GW1.  If the other team had a monk and you didn't, poof.  You're dead.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Mele is 'not' broken, it's just different. I see so many poeple trying to stand toe to toe wtih a boss and getting 2-shotted and whining about it. You have to learn to move, to switch out weapons when need be. To avoid the big attacks that are always easy to spot (accept when theres tuns of people zerging and you cant see anything.. but that will change when the devs implement the option to tone down skill fx). Yes.. you can get one shotted, if you don't build for Toughness and Vitality. if you do, you can take a hit, but you still aren't meant to stand there and trade blows.

Melee actually has the highest damage in the game and I've personally done some serious damage in Conquest PvP with a hammer warrior. The system gives you skills to close to targets, plenty of stuns, KD's, weakness, etc to lock down targets for a few seconds while you kick their asses.

And most of all, don't stick with just melee weapons. There is a reason that Warriors are just as effective with a longbow as they are with a 2h sword. Because by design you should be using both. If you've got a boss with a big pbaoe.. don't melee that boss.. or at least, make sure you try hit and run tactics. If you've got a boss with ranged shielding.. get in there and kick its ass!

Melee isn't weak, it's just different. No longer can you just add tuns of armor and just trade blows with a big boss while bitching about not being healed. Without healers you have to rely on yourself. I know.. that's a completely foreign concept in an MMOG. Isn't it great!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    No way.  After a learning curve, you figure out how to play without dying too much.  You still die though.  I actually think that helps make it exciting.  Especially if others are around to rez.  I also think many ppl having to rez others during a large mob kill helps build that sense of community.  Everyone looking out for themselves, and everyone else at the same time.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

No- It is to late in the games development to be reinviting itself.

This is the way it has to be and will be... as we can see by the poll results the majority agree. 

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

my GF was all grumphy their was no healing class lol.

She loves the game, but the lack of a healer class was a big one for her, personally i thought it was cool :)