Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One Game of Thrones MMO please...

General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

I would love to see an MMO of my fav HBO program Game of Thrones and one of my fav books (although I didnt read the first book).

who is with me!?!?!

Only how is the game going to work?

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Browser, FTP, Bigpoint, sandbox.

If you can deal with all that, game is on the way.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Plus it's based on the TV Series and not the books, so that's awesome!
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by grimfall

The show is extremely faithful to the books. 

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    browser based + free 2 play tends to be a bad combination. i wouldnt get my hopes to high.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Meh.

Nothing against people liking the books or the show.

But, seriously ? A MMO based on that ? Theres absolutely NOTHING special about the world setting.

Originally posted by colddog04

Um, the show is in general faithful, but "extremely" ? No. They leave a lot of things out and add other stuff.

• arcanistarcanist Member Posts: 163

!

Insanity. The TV show may be great compared to other TV shows. But its crap [like always] compared to the books. I think you need to get your head examined if you think basing it off the TV show and not the books is "awesome!".

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I can't wait to play Lannister foot-soldier #40738.  Or maybe I can play a class based on the Ros character?  My question is how do you model the intrigue?

FYI: The Game of Thrones television series is an adaptation of the Song of Ice and Fire novels but will deviate from them in some areas.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

Originally posted by colddog04

Um, no.  The show is utter crap compared to the books and by no means faithful to the overall scope that the books capture.  I also wish they didn't decide to make an MMO as well, it already sounds like a major let down (which I completely expected).

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Pfft.

The tv show is absolutely awesome. Fantastic actors in most cases and wonderful visuals (effects, costumes, environments etc).

The books are okay, but not that well written really. I dislike the chaos of too many irrelevant details and too many parallel stories, and the very slow progression. I have read them once, but I wont read them again.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I'm only watching it at this point for all the tits, cannot help having a constant boner for all the girls while watching lol.
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Adamantine

Meh.
    Nothing against people liking the books or the show.
    But, seriously ? A MMO based on that ? Theres absolutely NOTHING special about the world setting.

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING RIGHT NOW!?!

Im picturing a huge world perhaps the largest in any mmo... HvH (house vs House) with 9 houses to choose from ... no stupid mythical races ... political alliances ... No classes just hundreds of professions.

Its DaoC meets ArcheAge with a touch of realism

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Originally posted by Truelevel

I would love to see an MMO of my fav HBO program Game of Thrones and one of my fav books (although I didnt read the first book).

who is with me!?!?!

Lots of people, as evidenced by past threads on this exact topic.  The consensus was that the game company would screw it up and deliver a pallid rehash of current MMOs that would bear no resemblance to the intricate political intrigues and richly detailed world described in the books and (surprisingly well considering the medium) in the TV series.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Pfft.

The tv show is absolutely awesome. Fantastic actors in most cases and wonderful visuals (effects, costumes, environments etc).

The books are okay, but not that well written really. I dislike the chaos of too many irrelevant details and too many parallel stories, and the very slow progression. I have read them once, but I wont read them again.

I don't even know who you are anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASOFAI is perhaps not as great, but certainly comparable to TMBOTF in terms of epic scope and writing. Its a little mundane for my tastes, again compared to Malazan, but its still great. Other similar books with similar "irrelevant" details and parallel stories include The Darkness by Harry Turtledove and durr, The Lord of the Rings.

200 PAGES OF WALKING MAN!!! 200 PAGES!!!!!!!!

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by Cuathon

Pfft.

I don't even know who you are anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASOFAI is perhaps not as great, but certainly comparable to TMBOTF in terms of epic scope and writing. Its a little mundane for my tastes, again compared to Malazan, but its still great. Other similar books with similar "irrelevant" details and parallel stories include The Darkness by Harry Turtledove and durr, The Lord of the Rings.

200 PAGES OF WALKING MAN!!! 200 PAGES!!!!!!!!

I thought The Lord of the Rings was all in all a mediocre novel. A bit slow at times. Still pales in comparison to some of David Eddings' work. One boring dialog can continue on for almost two chapters and it leads to nowehere! There'sa "filler chapters" in my book goddamnit - just like there's filler episodes in TV series!

Then the new season of Game of Thrones is quite chaotic to say the least. I'd imagine it would be hard to follow without reading the books. Or atleast you'd appreciate it more.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky