Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So years have passed and many "WoW killers" have come and gone..

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

WAR, LOTRO, AOC,AION,RIFT,FALLEN EARTH, VANGUARD, SWTOR, and many more "supposed WoW killers" have came and gone yet WoW still stands as the most played mmorpg todate.

Whats gon on bros?

Comments

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

The only MMORPG that was supposed to be WoW killer is Vanguard. So yeah, poster fails

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

Wow is easy and rewards the time spent, also all the game you mentioned had fees on release so its like this:

1º WoW player has been playing wow for a long time and have prety cool things, then a new game releases.

2º WoW player tries new game to find its like WoW but diferent so he thinks "If im going to play WoW i beter stick to the original because i already have stuff done there"

3º Repeat 1 and 2 a lot of times and the game gets very popular and with a lot of players.

4º New MMORPG players come in looking for the "best" game, aka the most popular and they find wow.

Mostly this also the free trials gets more players to try  and the adicting model of raids makes people stick longer.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

You guys forgot to mention the one game that is guaranteed to eventually kill WoW. The one that went live in 2004. Blizzard made it. What's it called again?

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by mindw0rk

The only MMORPG that was supposed to be WoW killer is Vanguard. So yeah, poster fails

Vanguard was supposed to be a nishe game for former EQ players and others that prefer that game design. It was never intended to be a "WoW killer". It was designed for s c core players. Not casuals like WoW is.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Originally posted by Hurvart

Vanguard was supposed to be a nishe game for former EQ players and others that prefer that game design. It was never intended to be a "WoW killer". It was designed for s c core players. Not casuals like WoW is.

Dont speak what you know nothing about. It was very ambitious next-gen MMORPG to compete directly with WoW and surpass it in everything. No other MMO had term "WoW killer" so often on its forums. Not even Bioware thought about overcoming WoW, they were happy to be #2

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

Originally posted by Banisco

Wow is easy and rewards the time spent, also all the game you mentioned had fees on release so its like this:

1º WoW player has been playing wow for a long time and have prety cool things, then a new game releases.

2º WoW player tries new game to find its like WoW but diferent so he thinks "If im going to play WoW i beter stick to the original because i already have stuff done there"

3º Repeat 1 and 2 a lot of times and the game gets very popular and with a lot of players.

4º New MMORPG players come in looking for the "best" game, aka the most popular and they find wow.

Mostly this also the free trials gets more players to try  and the adicting model of raids makes people stick longer.

I see alot of what you said and might not really agree but do see it at being alot of truth (just not for me). But one point I must quick chat about is the last part (in yellow)....

Additcing model of raids, to me I think is just incorrect. And again, for me (as I state always is my opinion) I hated it. The almost impossible act of getting in a raid group when you are perhaps not guilded or in an extremely small guild was constantly there for me. One example that will always stick in my mind is being in a guild - (Fable was the guild name)- and being told quit literally ..."If your not lvl 80 your not worth the time, get to 80 and we'll help you". And wanting to play with friends and continue playing the game I bought and am paying for, I got to 80 and guess what.. more waiting and never getting into raids. Why you ask? Because I havent done them yet and all the raiders wanted people who have done them before.. WHAT??. Holy smokes, it was a never ending cycle. It is a fact that 90% of all the raiding groups dont want or will even bother with someone who hasnt even done them at all.  Awesome... I quit that day and never, NEVER looked back. 

Its that sense of elitist I can not stand in games, and WoW is the one who I feel brought it to the masses. I"ll be a dinosour here and bring up again EQ. I never remember that ever going on there. Bullshit all you want about it we all know its true, back then, people would help you with quests and "raids".  WoW has by far set the standard in two things,  Its ease of play (hence anyone can play, even children) so it makes it the most popular,  and its community of never - wrongs. 

When I realized I would have to be a part of that mentality in order to get anywhere in the end game, the game ended for me.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Not sure why many care if WoW has been killed or not. Think about it, if you don't like WoW you should be happy that WoW is still alive and kicking, otherwise YOUR game would be flooded with WoW players and they would turn your game into WoW!
  • Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

WoW fanbois will continue to claim that "everyone" all day bothers about their favorite game WoW and "calls/called their new anticipated game a WoW killer" contributing and starting of approx 98% of all "WoW killer" related topics and comments them self, spaming this BS into ever gameforum in desperate attempt to force up WoW and WoW comparisons as a topic when no one even mentioned it or bothered to talk about that game before, just like the "clone" myth.

I doubt the delusion will suddenly heal and next four years will turn out much different than the last four years.

So you are telling us that all the topics started about fans that how this new MMO will kill wow is actually started by wow fans who are disguising themselves fans of those games?

if yes.. here is your tin foil hat.

Originally posted by Chrome1980

WoW fanbois will continue to claim that "everyone" all day bothers about their favorite game WoW and "calls/called their new anticipated game a WoW killer" contributing and starting of approx 98% of all "WoW killer" related topics and comments them self, spaming this BS into ever gameforum in desperate attempt to force up WoW and WoW comparisons as a topic when no one even mentioned it or bothered to talk about that game before, just like the "clone" myth.

I doubt the delusion will suddenly heal and next four years will turn out much different than the last four years.

So you are telling us that all the topics started about fans that how this new MMO will kill wow is actually started by wow fans who are disguising themselves fans of those games?

I never put a doubt into your kindle.

No need to respond with denial and raise up your strawmen. I am already convinced you'll keep on to the (self)delusion like the hundreds before you Unfortunately I cant heal loss of reality or a mind ready for deliberate denial, with a mere argument on web. And both are the very reason this myth can be and is forcefully kept alive in first place.

PS: Its may look pretty foolish to respond with denial inside a topic with an OP that let it just happen (once again) . Better try again in one of "all" those recent ages topics where someone actually does claim it himself. Have fun searching for them..

You didn't answer me though. You think i am in denial and i think you have been without tin foil hat for too long. It is the prolonged exposures fault not yours.

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331

Originally posted by nomatics856

WAR, LOTRO, AOC,AION,RIFT,FALLEN EARTH, VANGUARD, SWTOR, and many more "supposed WoW killers" have came and gone yet WoW still stands as the most played mmorpg todate.

Whats gon on bros?

The WoW-killer is of course WoW!

I stopped playing WoW about a year ago because of WoW.

No need to respond with denial and raise up your strawmen. I am already convinced you'll keep on to the (self)delusion like the hundreds before you Unfortunately I cant heal loss of reality or a mind ready for deliberate denial, with a mere argument on web. And both are the very reason this myth can be and is forcefully kept alive in first place.

PS: Its may look pretty foolish to respond with denial inside a topic with an OP that let it just happen (once again) . Better try again in one of "all" those recent ages topics where someone actually does claim it himself. Have fun searching for them..

You didn't answer me though. You think i am in denial and i think you have been without tin foil hat for too long. It is the prolonged exposures fault not yours.

I did give you a response: I will not respond to a strawmen drawn from your delusional false premises, which is exactly what I consider factual false and weak attempts to put words into my mouth just to fabricate contradictions in your favor. Keep the tin tinfoil hat talk, it makes you look even more like a fool, than just attempt to deny all these topics amd comments I was talking about and of which one, we both are currently posting inside and you a right now creating even more of wouldnt exist.

Thing is you were not just talking about this topic but generalising all other MMOS too that somehow it is only WOW fans who make such topic for those games.So before you call me foolish maybe you need to double check your own cynical way of thinking. I am sure you consider your self very smart and above the cut, might even kiss yourself in the mirror... but smart people don't make up statistics on fly to prove their point. That is what foolish people do.

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322

People still play WoW, heck people still play MMO's?

MMO's are soooooooooooo 2001!

I just come on these forums every 4 months or so for nostalgia purposes.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by nomatics856

Whats gon on bros?

I would say none. Most of this is fabricated by angry players who have an axe to grind with WoW so they perpetuate this WoW Killer idea.

I think there have been a few developers who have been confident enough with their games to say that they felt they could be a close second.

Even Rift, which took pot shots at the whole WoW thing didn't come out and say they were aiming to dethrone WoW. They did utilize some cheap shots in their marketing.

Mostly, I see players come up wiht this stuff.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

LoL... This thread... And all like it...

WoW is hands down most popular MMO ever.  Everyone (just about) on this site hates wow.  Someone posts anything WoW related and everyone attacks the poster and the comment.

OP is correct in every way.  People have claimed so many "WoW killers" over the years and all have been wrong.

WoW has it all:

- Easy mindless questiong?  Check

- Grinding through Factions, gold, crafting?  Check

- Unique class options that cover just about all the possible RPG player desires?   Check

- Small group content for noobs?   Check

- Small group content for Hardcore?   Check   (hard modes, and soon to come challenge modes)

- Medium raid content for noobs?   Check  (raid finder, 10/25 normal modes)

- Eliteist raid content?   Check   (hard modes, solo older raid content...)

- Achievement / Completion Tracking?   Check

- Non-combat collections?   Check    (pets, mounts, other random junk)

- World PvP?   Check   (yeah it sucks, but what game has good open world PvP?  Every game that has tried is dead or dying)

- Instanced PvP   Check   (Battlegrounds)

- E-sport style PvP?   Check    (Arenas)

- Replay value?  Check    (Two factions with completely different questing lines/hubs... I know it isn't much, but no others offer more really)

What doesn't it have?

- Player Housing?   Does not have player housing, If thats what you're after The Sims is a popular game.

I'm sure there are other items on either list you could add... The point is, stop the trolling and hate on WoW.  Honestly, if you guys stopped spaming the wow hate so much, maybe it wouldn't be as popular, wouldn't show up on as many search engines, and wouldn't be in the top threads so much!

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

The only time I ever hear the term "WoW killer", it is usually from somebody that plays WoW.  It's strange.  I guess they want to reinforce the idea that they picked a "winner".

I did give you a response: I will not respond to a strawmen drawn from your delusional false premises, which is exactly what I consider factual false and weak attempts to put words into my mouth just to fabricate contradictions in your favor. Keep the tin tinfoil hat talk, it makes you look even more like a fool, than just attempt to deny all these topics amd comments I was talking about and of which one, we both are currently posting inside and you a right now creating even more of wouldnt exist.

Thing is you were not just talking about this topic but generalising all other MMOS too that somehow it is only WOW fans who make such topic for those games.So before you call me foolish maybe you need to double check your own cynical way of thinking. 

Thing is I never said I or anyone was "just talking about this topic", nor implied it, nor would it be neccessary for anything I said to make any sense, but cited "this topic" as just another example supporting exactly what I said and contradicting deliberate denial and attempts to undermine its very own existence. Better check your tinfoil hat, someone appears to be fidling with your brainwaves and makes you repetitively read things I never said.

So you are not the one who pulled out 98% statistics from you know where and said that this percentage of 'wow killer' topics made by wow fans in every other gaming forum. You sure love to tell others that they  are in denail when you can't even remember what you posted yourself just a little while ago. Got any more made up statistics about the percentage of people who are in denail and just 'don't get you'.

• NiffiNiffi Member Posts: 36

Would be nice, if you wouldnt post every quote in your dialouge... -.-

To be honest, i played by myself a game, which was called a WoW-Killer by players and even the European publisher made some graphics, which showed this. Im speaking of Runes of Magic. Ive never played WoW and dont know much about it, but as everybody could see, Runes of Magic started good but couldnt beat or even kill WoW. Round a bout 1 year after the release there were rumors in th RoM-forums "when Allods will come out, Runes of Magic will die." Allods came out, RoM was still alive. Same thing with AiON. And you hear rumors about tera (ok, frogster is publisher, so it wouldnt even bad for them), GW2 etc. in the RoM-forums since last year.

What i want to show with this example is, that its normal, that people claim such things. There is something new and new means interesting. Sooner or later the new things get normal so they arent such interested in this game anymore.

Greets Niffi

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by Sovrath

I would say none. Most of this is fabricated by angry players who have an axe to grind with WoW so they perpetuate this WoW Killer idea.

Right, the people who want WoW to die are ex-WoW players. No one else cares what happens to WoW, it could have 300 million players for all I care, what's it matter.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    The next WoW killer is .. WoW will kill itself.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

You do have a point. Than who could these people be that claim each new MMO is a WoWkiller, if it isn't the WoW fanboys?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

A request for "Source:!" is always in order.

The phrase "wowkiller", by the very nature of its hyperbolic horsepucky clearly demands one.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Hurvart

Wrong.

Vanguard was originally supposed to be an AAA MMO released by Microsoft.

Then Microsoft changed its game department completely and threw Vanguard out.

You dont invest 30+ mio $ into a game that is "nishe".