Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 race is between GW2, TSW and Tera

I wouldn't normally have included Tera in that list but having played it I have to say, it is very very good. Which surprised me as I wasn't keen on it.

I still have objections to the popori and ellin, I still think Tera is a bit underwhelming on the immersion/lore side, and maybe it could do with more pvp tools, but it's such a beautifully made (omg those graphics, mmo graphics better than 99% of single player games) and playable, fun game that it really is a contender.

Also been playing the GW2 beta and that is also very good, not as pretty as Tera but the gameplay is also great and it really does have a competitive esport feel to it with classes and maps designed for competitive play.

TSW is a wild card. It looks amazing... but it's Funcom. And we all know Funcom. Hopefully though they can get it right as what they have shown so far looks superb. I guess now they no longer have Gaute, they have a chance at success.

What became immediately obvious to me however when playing Tera and GW2 is how screwed older MMOs are. SWTOR, etc and even WoW look so crap and dull compared to the new crop, this year is actually really exciting for MMO players as it looks like the old guard are about to become old news.

Comments

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

I agree and disagree with you.

Tera feels nice and plays very well, but I think it's a niche game more than a big audience one. It feels very korean in the way that you really need a healer if you want to keep rolling. When you don't have a healer, you rely on bandages/potions to keep your health up.

I haven't played GW2 yet, but seeing the hype I just think lots of people are going to be let down. I believe the game will stick around long and appeal to lots of people, but there will be a lot of gamehoppers as well. Although the fact that it's not sub based is speaking in its favor.

TSW seems like an interesting concept, but it won't appeal to 'the masses', which will often lead to games being made easier to reel in more cash.

Also don't count games like SWTOR and RIFT out yet. RIFT said that their sub numbers are steadily increasing and SWTOR still has a good amount of players. That being said, I expect to SWTOR to do something similar as RIFT is doing, which is slowly moving away from the WoW style of game. RIFT has standard things like raids/dungeons/warfronts, but the other content is much more accessible and refreshing.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Well SWTOR is pretty much dead. Take out the free months they are giving to 90% of players and they would have to admit it's already below 500k subs.

There are 5 active SWTOR servers in the entire world and out of several hundred players in over a dozen guilds that I knew were playing, all have quit - their main reason being that everyone else had quit. I think around 20% of the people who bought the game are still playing now, EA are doing their best to hide it, but the cracks are showing.

WoW is just old, tired and compared to Tera and GW2 totally unexciting. Great game for its time, but really it's time to move on. The only people still playing WoW are nerds holding on to past glories, afraid of change and stuck in a social rut, but they are already noticing they are paying to run a very old treadmill out of sheer routine. Adding to that the lackluster response to the china-panda expansion, WoW is set to redefine what we know as exodus momentum in a MMO once even a small portion of its sub base starts playing Tera/GW2.

Rift is chugging along but isn't growing. It's actually a good game and they made a huge effort with it, but unless they radically change something with it and somehow create a big buzz, it won't go anywhere.

Tera is surprisingly good but it doesn't really have any buzz and I think the release will be quite small. But the game is pretty solid and has a chance at gathering more players if it gets good word of mouth... it will need a hell of a lot since it's really not that big right now.

GW2 is obviously the big one. It's a great game but the hype is just too strong and who knows, it could be a disaster when it releases, it's all in the detail of what happens now between beta and release.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

for me in the long session i played yesterday GW2 lives up to its hype and that's still with couple months to go with development. I played TERA over several beta weekends and the game is fun but questing is far to generic and combat while good isn't spectacular. My issue with tera combat is it doesn't feel very fluid and the rooting of skills and such and the very short ranged distances just ruin things for me, obviously others enjoy it but it wasn't that great for me. Then TSW is another one I'm really looking forward to. To me if TSW is a good game ill probably play GW2 with TSW on the side. 

It's going to be very interesting seeing what SWTOR sub's end up with by years ends.. interesting indeed...

oh forgot diablo 3 is going to be sucking a lot of my time as well heh..

one more to add been playing the beta for Firefall and for a F2P game im very impressed a lot of fun so far!.. dunno where I'm going to find time for all these!

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Add Archeage and Blade & Soul to this race. Both very quality MMOs. I still think GW2 is better game then others
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Yeah, yeah... Funcom and all that. However, TSW uses the same engine as AoC so Funcom should've not as many problems on release, as they got to know their engine over the last five years, constantly improving it.
    The skill-system of TSW is what will stand out from all the other level and classed-based MMOs and it'll give you way more options and is not yet another item-grind, due to the vey limited amount of items (weapons and chakras).
    Additionally, if Funcom stays with the difficulty of ROTGS for their dungeons and raids then we'll have alot of fun instead of rushing through the content in the first three month.
    The thing missing in TSW is the FFA-PvP, as this would be very interesting with three factions fighting for world-domination, but I don't care about PvP in a MMO like this, as there's nothing worth fighting over like in EvE Online anyways.

GW2 is overhyped imho and nothing really new. The way I see it, it's a shooter where you need to level up first and I'd rather play a real shooter in that case. For some people this might be interesting, but the whole colourful medevil-theme is done to death allready and doesn't catch me anymore. Give me guns ffs.
    Three factions is a good thing ofc, but without something worse fighting over I just don't see a reason to play PvP. For real PvP there's MMOs like EvE Online.

TERA has nice GFX, I give you that. I played beta and couldn't stand it more then a couple of hours before I deleted it from my disk however. Also, the censoring going on right now with the clothes, breastsizes etc is just laughable. They should've stayed with the original version there if anything.
    When I first heard about it, I was looking forward playing TERA with a controller, like I play Soul Calibur f.e.. TERA didn't really deliver in that area tho and it just doesn't feel right... combat is rather boring I'd say.

I'm looking for a PvE-MMO... so yeah, I'll give TSW a shot and see where it goes, but GW2 and TERA are definately not worth my money imho.

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Add Archeage and Blade & Soul to this race. Both very quality MMOs. I still think GW2 is better game then others

don't think either of those will see a 2012 release in the US though... but Archeage looks simply incredible.. also love the look of blade & souls combat 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside 2 might just make it before the end of the year also

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Planetside 2 might just make it before the end of the year also

yea the early footage of it looks great... im going to guess a early 2013 release though but you never know

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

What contest, TSW and Tera+GW2 are in a completely different league. im not saying that TSW is so amazing it outshines the other games, what im saying is that they are too different to compare.  GW2 and Tera will be in competition, TSW wont be fighting for subscriptions with them though.  ill show you why really quick.

TSW                                      GW2+Tera

Modern                                  Fantasy

Tab Target                             Action

No Class                                Class

No Levels                               Levels for Tera and a short leveling burst for GW2

Investigation Misisons            Mostly Combat and Fetch in terms of the quests but has dynamic events.

Combat Missions

(and one more i forgot about)

in the end the games are too different to compare, There wont be a contest between them. Also add in the fact that TSW isn't shooting for WoW numbers, Funcom knows a game can be successful without Millions of people playing.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

Having beta tested all 3, my favorite of them is GW2. Don't get me wrong, I think Tera and TSW have some good qualities, but GW2 is my choice hands down.

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    @ rayshe - how is gw2 not tab target???
  • Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511
    I was unable to play GW2 beta so can't comment on gameplay but i tested TSW and i will take it over Tera any day.
  • BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by Nethriil

@ rayshe - how is gw2 not tab target???

You can tab target but also you can just cast skills and hit the monsters that get in the way of the skill.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415
    Diablo 3
  • FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141
    holding out for tsw, playing dota2 / brickforce in the meantime.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I was looking forward to GW2 since I played GW1 from release through about the third expansion, but playing TERA kind of ruined GW2 for me.

Having said that I'll be playing TERA and possibly picking up D3 if my buddies get it. For now PoE gets my carpal tunnel click-fest fix satisfied.

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    @ banisco - thats just like wow
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw and gw2 have practically identical combat.
    Sub set of skills from a pool
    Complicated state / combo mechanics
    Firing on the move
    Auto targeting nearest frontal target
    Collision detection
    true line of sight

Tsw doesn't have "wow combat" it really doesn't
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Anyhow, i was going off what i was reading about GW2. i expected to get something wrong, However that only defeats one of the points.

Gotta love when back up saves face for you. 

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Oh really?  So if you're single targetting something in WoW, and a mob gets in between you and the tabbed target, your single target attack will hit them?

No, you're wrong.  I've played WoW for years, tab targetting does not work nearly the same way.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    As for the question, Tera didn't grab me and TSW needs a lot of animation and style work if it's going to appeal to me.  My personal preference has no bearing on sales, but GW2 is in the lead as far as I'm concerned (which should be obvious by now).  I'm liking the look of Archeage and Neverwinter though, but I don't know when they're coming out.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I liked Tera at first, too. However, it didn't take long before the whole "Quest hub to Quest hub" routine got to me.

Not interested in GW and TSW looks too funneled.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

no it's not. If I click Heroic Strike on a warrior in WoW I must absolutely have someone targeted for it to go off, and they have to be in range otherwise it won't fire. Targeting mobs in guild wars is just a way to focus your attacks and not just run around flaying/shooting your weapon blindly. Plus all the weapons seem to have some sort of arc of varying degrees when making your attacks. So they aren't all exclusively single target attacks.

Anyways back on topic. I would have to say for my pick GW2 has just pulled ahead by a wide margin with this BWE. I enjoy Tera and like what I see, but I know I won't commit to it seriously and probably move on early. As for TSW I can't really comment too much. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but what I do see has me intrigued. I'll approach it with cautious optimism.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I bet Diablo 3 will be more successful, and have a larger player base, than any of these three games.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by nariusseldon

I bet Diablo 3 will be more successful, and have a larger player base, than any of these three games.

I certainly hope so, Blizzard went out of their way to give away 1.4mil copies to bolster sales numbers. If they don't have a larger player base after giving away that many copies then the game must be worse than everyone thinks.

On Topic though:

TERA will have the biggest interest at launch which will quickly decline shortly after. While some things are new it's still largely the same old same old.

GW2 will have the largest sales/playerbase in the long run.

TSW will find solid footing in the niche realm due to the theme.

These are simply my opinions.