Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Same old quest hub mmo or should I say heart hub

zevenzeroszevenzeros Member UncommonPosts: 50
This game has already turned into push M for map hover over hearts on map look at what level they are and if they match my level I do it if not I find a different heart. Rinse and repeat. I mean its not like I can really just go wonder around the map doing any quests I want because I'm lvl 6 and the lvl 10 heart area will just destroy me. This honestly is no different then getting quests from ? On someone's head and doing those quests for your level and moving on to next quest hub. It's not like I have a different option. An yes I know there are skill points and events going on but if I'm not of the right level I can't do them. While this is a decent game with lots to do its not much different then any other mmo at least as far as questing goes. Not only that but even the events I do are not anything speical it's pretty much the same for everyone with every heart area. Go to heart do heart area quest which are all very similar.  Random event pops up do random event. Hell some times I can do the event an even befor I leave the area the same one will come up to do again. Move onto next heart area and rinse and repeat. 

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I found it completely possible to go to areas as much as 5 levels above me and complete the events there as long as some others were around.    I'm not saying everyone should do it that way,  but it is completely possible to take on higher level areas.

There are some issues I take with the way the world is....  I'm slightly disappointed that levels work as they do... but I'm hoping that tapers off once you have all of your abilities.  

Don't want to get into it until I write my prelaunch review... but,  I do agree that there is definitely a "hub" you have to pay attention to.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by zevenzeros

This game has already turned into push M for map hover over hearts on map look at what level they are and if they match my level I do it if not I find a different heart. Rinse and repeat. I mean its not like I can really just go wonder around the map doing any quests I want because I'm lvl 6 and the lvl 10 heart area will just destroy me. This honestly is no different then getting quests from ? On someone's head and doing those quests for your level and moving on to next quest hub. It's not like I have a different option. An yes I know there are skill points and events going on but if I'm not of the right level I can't do them. While this is a decent game with lots to do its not much different then any other mmo at least as far as questing goes. Not only that but even the events I do are not anything speical it's pretty much the same for everyone with every heart area. Go to heart do heart area quest which are all very similar.  Random event pops up do random event. Hell some times I can do the event an even befor I leave the area the same one will come up to do again. Move onto next heart area and rinse and repeat. 

Hearts are there for those that want the traditional point and click on rails questing, less the awful quest stacking in a log to optimise your xp per hour.  For everyone else, they can simply adventure, and yes that adventuring will run you into danger, finally!  You sound like you are in the latter camp, so dont use the hearts.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• zevenzeroszevenzeros Member UncommonPosts: 50
    You say hearts are just there for people to use like old style questing and that I can adventure and do what ever I want but what could I really do in any area that is much to high for me to fight any thing. I have no other opitions other then follow the hearts around or else I run off into some area that looks neat only to be killed by some high level mob. There really isn't much else to do other then skill points and heart areas granted random caves do have stuff to fight with dynamic events but they are usually located very close to the heart areas or if you just do the heart area quests most of the time you will run into the events. Either way I still can't adventure and do as I please like your making it out to be I still have to follow the level of heart area hub and do the quests and move to the next one or else I get destroyed by mobs.
    Matter a fact I can give you a good example. Me an a buddy were level 3 he found some random stairs to go down it ran into a cave full of lvl 6 we got destroyed by that. Ugh yeah great my adventure was to die good thing I found this in marked cave with hidden stairs. Although latter we found the same cave from a different entrance because of a heart area quest we were doing anyway. Also at the same time we saw a skill point marker had no clue what level it was intended for because they don't mark them so we ran off to do it come to find out it was like a lvl 8 mob and we quickly got destroyed. As you can see my adventuring was quickly rewarded with deaths. I have leveled about 5 different characters to lvl 6 and 2 to lvl 10 it doesn't really seem to change heart hub to heart hub.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    When I am in the PVE zone , I rarely find myself looking at anything.  I'd be going somewhere and all of a sudden a boss needs to get killed or this person is under attack, and it would eventually lead me to where i was going.  Hearts and events actually make PVE fun so, not sure what game your playing.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Matter a fact I can give you a good example. Me an a buddy were level 3 he found some random stairs to go down it ran into a cave full of lvl 6 we got destroyed by that. Ugh yeah great my adventure was to die good thing I found this in marked cave with hidden stairs. Although latter we found the same cave from a different entrance because of a heart area quest we were doing anyway. Also at the same time we saw a skill point marker had no clue what level it was intended for because they don't mark them so we ran off to do it come to find out it was like a lvl 8 mob and we quickly got destroyed. As you can see my adventuring was quickly rewarded with deaths. I have leveled about 5 different characters to lvl 6 and 2 to lvl 10 it doesn't really seem to change heart hub to heart hub.

This game is challenging. It's that simple.  level those skills up ( it doesn't take long ) and challenge yourself.  You're essentially saying that you don't like being led by hearts, but that you need to be led by hearts...hmmm.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Skymourne

This game is challenging. It's that simple.  level those skills up ( it doesn't take long ) and challenge yourself.  You're essentially saying that you don't like being led by hearts, but that you need to be led by hearts...hmmm.

Game isn't challenging if you understand how to play it. If you play it like a traditional mmo and stand there and spam your skills you will probably die.

If you have any ability to kite and use the dodge mechanism the game becomes very easy. 

You are basically correct.

However people are going to disagree with you regardless. 

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

The level 10 heart wont destroy you, I've done about 3 DE's that are my level and the rest have been about 3-5 levels above. Currently level 17 and I'm just roaming around doing whatever I run into without a problem. 

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Atlan99

Originally posted by Skymourne

Game isn't challenging if you understand how to play it. If you play it like a traditional mmo and stand there and spam your skills you will probably die.

If you have any ability to kite and use the dodge mechanism the game becomes very easy. 

i'll come close to agreeing with your entire statement, but there have been a couple of times when even kiting wasn't enough.  But yes for the most part it didn't really become "easier" for me once i mastered the combat, it became more enjoyable for me which enhanced the experience even more.

It's really funny one person says its because the game is such a challenge then the next person will say something like well Incan do content 5 levels above me with no problems so I just roam around doing what ever I feel like. Come on which is it to hard so I must learn to dodge better lol. Or so easy I should just be running around killing anything in sight. Lets be real you need to fight things around your level inless you are just following around the large mob of people going from heart hub to heart hub and you are letting them kill everything. Just no way your killing anything alone 5 levels ahead of you.
  • IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    hearts got nothing to do with dynamic events. heart quests are there to give gw2 noobs some form of direction in the game.

It's really funny one person says its because the game is such a challenge then the next person will say something like well Incan do content 5 levels above me with no problems so I just roam around doing what ever I feel like. Come on which is it to hard so I must learn to dodge better lol. Or so easy I should just be running around killing anything in sight. Lets be real you need to fight things around your level inless you are just following around the large mob of people going from heart hub to heart hub and you are letting them kill everything. Just no way your killing anything alone 5 levels ahead of you.

You can it just takes forever.

You basically just kite in a circle and dodge when needed.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

I had no problem fighting higher level stuff until i start fighting these giant walking trees that were about 5 levels above me and so large I couldnt use the dodge system to avoid their damage. But other regular mobbs that were within 5 levels were very possible. I completed the Human storyline up through the guys trial where you had to fight him in a 2v2 duel to the death. Completed that quest at lvl 6 and its a lvl 10+ storyline quest. Definitely much easier to fight stuff your level but even then this game is more or less harder on average then other MMORPGs that are out right now. Fighting boss mobbs in GW2 is like trying to solo BAMs in Tera. it takes a lot of concentration and skill. This isnt WoW where you can go up against a 500khp boss and smash your face into teh keyboard and win outright.

• straitbxstraitbx Member Posts: 14

You say hearts are just there for people to use like old style questing and that I can adventure and do what ever I want but what could I really do in any area that is much to high for me to fight any thing. I have no other opitions other then follow the hearts around or else I run off into some area that looks neat only to be killed by some high level mob. There really isn't much else to do other then skill points and heart areas granted random caves do have stuff to fight with dynamic events but they are usually located very close to the heart areas or if you just do the heart area quests most of the time you will run into the events. Either way I still can't adventure and do as I please like your making it out to be I still have to follow the level of heart area hub and do the quests and move to the next one or else I get destroyed by mobs.

so maybe for the next mmo they should have no levels with no quest and throw u in a big world map and all mobs will  be at your same lv and you can invent wht u want to do for fun :

• alf2oooalf2ooo Member UncommonPosts: 139

No

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

You must learn to dodge and use your abilities correctly BUT its not that hard to learn. You won't be able to do the content 5 levels above if you can't use your abilities correctly or dodge. You can kill stuff 5 levels above you alone, I've done it.

All it requires is awareness. 

Once again it's that the game is just so hard I should learn to play or somthing. Then another person will Say they can complete quests that were much to high for them. The quests in the game a just bad collect eggs , feed bears, kill bunnies and dear. Yeah then all of a sudden a boss comes out of no where, great go to big orange circle on map spams skills with 80 other people move on to other orange circle on my map next to the other heart area.

Originally posted by IPolygon

hearts got nothing to do with dynamic events. heart quests are there to give gw2 noobs some form of direction in the game.

I never said that DE and heart quest have anything to do with each other.  What I was saying is that they are pretty much in the same areas of each other.  So if you just go to the heart areas your gonna find all the DE anyway because the reset so fast anyway. I mean you can complete one an sometimes before you leave the area it starts over.  Also the fact that you say heart quest are in the game for gw2 noobs is just plain dumb as we are all noobs of gw2. Also the quests are there for you to do them not sure how that makes anyone a noob .

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I think the heart quests are an improvement over GW1 and WoW.  No quests would be preferrable to me...

GW2 has definitely abandoned the old GW1 mantra of minimalization/simplification.  All the bells, whistles, gimmicks, points, etc that you see in WoW are here in GW2.  I found it sorta amusing to play tonight but I just don't know if I really want to waste my time learning the in's and out's of a game that I feel is so familar I have pretty much already played it in all the other MMORPGs I have played.  The only thing that has kept me playing is the excellent combat and the promise of knowing that Arenanet really knows how to put together some good combat in GW1 and I can tell GW2 is becoming great too (as I level up).  But is that really enough to make me play long term?  Hmm.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Question for those in the know/in beta: Can you turn off all that cr@p such as hearts and DE flashing up on your screen and play PURE EXPLORATION without neon lights telling you take your custom here?! That would be my intention or would that not be workable/cusomizable (either)? Thanks in advance.

• ScriptZScriptZ Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Question for those in the know/in beta: Can you turn off all that cr@p such as hearts and DE flashing up on your screen and play PURE EXPLORATION without neon lights telling you take your custom here?! That would be my intention or would that not be workable/cusomizable (either)? Thanks in advance.

As long as you don't talk to the Scout npcs the hearts will not show up till you get close to them and are already in the event. Thats what I did today just walked around exploring running into level 16 events at level 11 and was still able to do them for the most part.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    A lot of the same old "same old" posts but I mean really if you know a better way, be my guest and create it. If you know a better mmo, again go play it. Stop bitching. Play or go home.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by ScriptZ

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

As long as you don't talk to the Scout npcs the hearts will not show up till you get close to them and are already in the event. Thats what I did today just walked around exploring running into level 16 events at level 11 and was still able to do them for the most part.

Ah so don't talk to scouts. What about "DE event starting nearby" type messages? Or is that the same? It'd be nice to wipe the slate clean at beginning and go off gallivanting and react viscerally only ie "cry for help/smoke etc".

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Oh goodness sake! I'm 53 years old and I have had no problem gaining XP and not worrying about those hearts. I"m level 8 do some adventuring, crafting, personal story, DE....I could keep going on. don't let an old man show you up! I'm challenging you! muhahaha

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.