Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time's ALMOST UP! To buy, or not to buy!?

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

To buy, or not to buy!

That is that question!

This article attempts to shed some light on those who are still unsure -- To those who have tried the game, what do you think, it's this an accurate assertion? 

http://www.examiner.com/article/tera-online-who-should-and-shouldn-t-buy-it

Sure -every- game is worth a -TRY- but is every game worth a purchase, in a saturated market, should people be buying things they will only try once, and unsub after the free month? Or should consider being a little more careful with our money to avoid becoming jaded to the genre?

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    The art style is a total turn off. 
  • DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

The art style is a total turn off. 

Not into the eastern style? I like it.. i mean.. sometimes the "Rainbow", and unicorn feel gets kinda, i don't know wierd... i feel like it's an MMORPG for the "Oh stop it, silly" crowd, but it as it's jaw-dropping feel too.. i don't know.. i mean sure, i loved the gritty feel of Skyrim...  I DONT KNOW -.- it's so... i don't know.. it works.. but... who-knows it's an art-style that works with the game i guess... not my first choice, but also far from my last.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I find the game mesmerizing.
    What is it doing different?
    Not very much but it is doing it so well that I can't stop playing.
    The only reason I can get away from the game is the que times :P
    Beautiful, fast paced, all around good MMO.
    Also the story quest lines are actually good and for that I am impressed!

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I'm not a fan of the Eastern art style myself, and yet I LOVE the world environment in this game.  I think it looks amazing.  My only qualm is in some of the character models (effeminate male elves and scantily clad females), but the world looks so incredible that I don't even think about how silly some of the characters look anymore.  

And as far as the article goes, I'm also a WoW-style themepark player.  And I think this game can appeal to that kind of player IF they are looking for something unique, but not too unfamiliar.  This game has WoW-style gameplay with an action hack-and-slash type of combat.  To me, that's a major plus and the type of game that could attract the WoW crowd.  Unfortunately, I think based on many preconceived biases against Eastern MMOs, the WoW-crowd probably won't give this game much of a look.  I know I wasn't the least bit interested in it until I got ahold of a beta key by dumb luck and decided to try the game out over the CB5 weekend.  I'm definitely glad I did.

I also don't think this game is very much like Aion, unless you consider that it is the type of game that Aion SHOULD HAVE been.  I've played both, and aside from obvious core gameplay similarities, they don't feel anywhere close to similar.  

Originally posted by Sinaku

I find the game mesmerizing.

What is it doing different?

Not very much but it is doing it so well that I can't stop playing.

The only reason I can get away from the game is the que times :P

Beautiful, fast paced, all around good MMO.

Also the story quest lines are actually good and for that I am impressed!

What's the longevity though... i feel this way about allot of NEW MMO's.. but usualy leads to me ubsubbing after the first month -.-

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I played the beta some and will keep it up. I am told that pre level 20 is somewhat boring.

I don't care for the art style that much either. While a lot of the armor sets do have interesting intricate detail they don't cover up your character very much and seem to cover less with higher end armor. While the graphic detail is nice on the highest, I prefered Aion more.

The world is really bland up to level 10 with a lot of restrictive barriers. I prefered Aion's more.

The combat and the effects when attacking and using abilities is what I really love about the game and is the ONLY thing that passes my list of requirements. image

Beta/trial before buy.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I'm on the fence really. I think I can get some enjoyment out of this game, but I have quite a bit of gaming building up already as is. Just last week I pre-paid for Diablo 3, bought Uncharted 1 and 2 (finally decided to get around to trying them out), just pre-purchased GW2, and I would like to get Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai sometime soon.

I may just end up waiting for the inevitable price drop to the box and then pick it up, but I'm really not sure right now. It doesn't help I have co-workers jumping in on Tera right away.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I'm a big fan of tera (i will not lie) but its such a personal question whether to sub or not.  To each his own because its not for me to say.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by VirgoThree

I'm on the fence really. I think I can get some enjoyment out of this game, but I have quite a bit of gaming building up already as is. Just last week I pre-paid for Diablo 3, bought Uncharted 1 and 2 (finally decided to get around to trying them out), just pre-purchased GW2, and I would like to get Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai sometime soon.

I may just end up waiting for the inevitable price drop to the box and then pick it up, but I'm really not sure right now. It doesn't help I have co-workers jumping in on Tera right away.

This was kinda my point.. we are heading into a HUGE BURST DPS (Word play :P) of games coming down the tube... if we pay to just -try- them all we end up broke, and jaded.. how do you pick and choose?

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

I think the article's generalizations is going to be off for a lot of players, but it does a good job of trying to be accurate. For me, I love Aion's graphics and gameplay by comparison but Tera completely failed with me on many levels. I think the graphics was the only thing I enjoyed because it looked a lot like Aion.

The "action-combat" wasn't fun and I found myself actually wanting to go back to the slower traditional combat of most MMOs. I typically love many repetitive action games (i.e. Dynasty Warriors, Infamous, Darksiders, Prototype, etc.) so I don't know how it managed to fail here, but it did. It sounded like a good combination to me on paper...

The UI was frustrating and ended up at a terrible ratio after I set it to 1440x900. Somehow the rest of the world and character graphics ended up looking perfect but all the other UI elements was out of focus and problematic even after UI scale tweaking.

The quests were your typical generic stories, although this really doesn't bother me when the gameplay is actually fun. The problem is it wasn't. I didn't expect a lot from Tera except for the graphic quality based on screenshots, and that's all I got out of it. I might use the occasional Tera wallpaper but that will be as far as I get to checking out Tera again. It just had too many faults by and large worse than what patches and updates can fix so it's well off my list of potentially good MMOs. It's pretty hard to disappoint someone with very low expectations, but somehow it succeeded.

Maybe that was partly the fault of Diablo III competing for my time over the same weekend. That game was a lot of fun right from the beginning and during many playthroughs of the same content thereafter. I kept trying new things with Tera to make sure it just wasn't an issue I had with the class, area, or settings, but everything I tried just reflected poor design and boring gameplay (again, aside from the graphics). I even liked the "action-combat" in the hybrid strange mix of MMO/FPS in Tabula Rasa, but something about Tera just felt off like the two styles weren't compatible at least in the manner they were implimented here.

Not a big deal to me though. If there's people that really liked it, then great and I hope it continues to entertain them. It's just not for me. image

• KrulosKrulos Member Posts: 68
    just had a short break, still playing from Europe its early morning, but i cant stop, über game!
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Originally posted by Divion

This was kinda my point.. we are heading into a HUGE BURST DPS (Word play :P) of games coming down the tube... if we pay to just -try- them all we end up broke, and jaded.. how do you pick and choose?

I used to be jaded about games and felt everything was starting to suck or was getting worse somehow. But taking a step back, and re-evaluating myself as a gamer and just looking at the what the overall game has to offer has really changed my view point. Play the game with an open mind, focus on the strengths, and ignore the hype. It's done wonders for me personally to think like that.

Anyways, I don't think that quite answered your question. My best answer to this situation of trying to avoid buyers remorse is to have patience. Most, if not all the games tend to drop in price rather rapidly these days. You just have to be able to ignore huge amount of hype at release, and check out later after reviews, price cuts, word of mouth, and etc.

For all the fence sitters of Tera, we should really just all wait for the free trial and price cuts later and then try again. Sure you miss the initial launch rush, but our wallets will probably be happier lol.

Originally posted by Divion

I used to be jaded about games and felt everything was starting to suck or was getting worse somehow. But taking a step back, and re-evaluating myself as a gamer and just looking at the what the overall game has to offer has really changed my view point. Play the game with an open mind, focus on the strengths, and ignore the hype. It's done wonders for me personally to think like that.

Anyways, I don't think that quite answered your question. My best answer to this situation of trying to avoid buyers remorse is to have patience. Most, if not all the games tend to drop in price rather rapidly these days. You just have to be able to ignore huge amount of hype at release, and check out later after reviews, price cuts, word of mouth, and etc.

For all the fence sitters of Tera, we should really just all wait for the free trial and price cuts later and then try again. Sure you miss the initial launch rush, but our wallets will probably be happier lol.

Great advice +1. I try to make it a point to not buy any game unless I am really dying to play it asap. If there's any question, then I have no problem waiting until the price just screams, "stop being a cheap bastard and buy me!" at some crazy sale price like $1 for the game and five expansions. It's the path of least disappointment imo.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Buy?  No, but I'll play it when it goes F2P or the price lowers, I'm not paying another sub, been there done that.
  • Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    BUY IT, right now, its well worth it, best game in years guarantee you will love it.

Originally posted by Stimos8

BUY IT, right now, its well worth it, best game in years guarantee you will love it.

image Wrong Game. This forum is for Tera lol.

Well if you don't feel up to paying a sub (50cents per day) you could always stoop low and buy a f2p game like GW2 or Aion.  Not sure if you will enjoy the experence though.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by IrishChai

Originally posted by Stimos8

image Wrong Game. This forum is for Tera lol.

I lol'ed

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

wheres the poll?

Anyway, i vote No.

edited: ( No as in Not to Buy ).

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR

Originally posted by Eir_S

Buy?  No, but I'll play it when it goes F2P or the price lowers, I'm not paying another sub, been there done that.

If that day ever comes i do hope you roll on BC...Because I will be waiting for you,  with duel swords in hand ^^  (yes I know it was you).

• RogueTroopaRogueTroopa Member Posts: 147
    I bought the game and love it. The  world is amazing and i just want to keep logging in. Quest wise i don't mind grinding when i having so much fun. Pity SWTOR didn't implement a world that acctually feels alive instead of some dead carcass. Seriously i think this game is a massive sleeper that will get better and better. I played GW2 beta and Tera for me looks and plays so much better.

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    A nice short article. But I tried Aion and hated it, but yet I love TERA, are the games really alike? I'm not so sure, if that was the case, I would have liked Aion?

Originally posted by tachgb

A nice short article. But I tried Aion and hated it, but yet I love TERA, are the games really alike? I'm not so sure, if that was the case, I would have liked Aion?

In the article it states "Thats the rule, but there will be exceptions", i think thats a fair statement, as the article is address the mass, for the most part i think thats correct, most people won't like the style, and play of TERA if they didn't care for Aion, some will... but those the exceptions, as are you.

• RogueTroopaRogueTroopa Member Posts: 147
    In regards to that article i tried Aion too and hated it. Tried Rift, SWTOR and hated them too. Also i'm an ex wow player and love Tera. So work that one out.

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

Originally posted by RogueTroopa

In regards to that article i tried Aion too and hated it. Tried Rift, SWTOR and hated them too. Also i'm an ex wow player and love Tera. So work that one out.

Out of millions that were introduced to MMORPGS through WoW ~ Hundreds, if not thousands will be the exception, we are talking about big numbers here, i think it was a fair statement ~ Thats me.