Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As expected....

hypersanhypersan Member Posts: 63

Guildwars 2 is a skill based game. It does this very well. It punishes the unskilled with death after death until it becomes tedious for them and they choose to quit or improve. It does not give any pointers towards improvement instead it maintains its punishment until you figure out how to play it. 

Many people are turned off by that. Many people just are not skilled enough to play this build. When you do figure things out and find your rythmn it feels so awesome because you are so much better than those around you. 

Those who dont understand how to actually play this game will look at the pve and think its very simplistic. Those who do understand will see complexity within complexity. Arenanet has done a ridculously good job of makeing an incrediblly worhtwhile game. Unfortunately many people are not worhty of it and will never see the real depth. 

Maybe they set the bar too high for the mainstream. Maybe they need to find away to reward skill and slow down on the punishment of the unskilled. 

Two friends and my girlfriend wathced me playing beta theyboth saw what i had to do to kill a mob and immediately realised that there is no way that they could sit and do that mob after mob it would just take too much concentration. 

It is very difficult for someone used to unwinding and relaxing while playing a game that allows you to facerool a few dailies and log feeling accomplished to come to terms with the focus concentration and continuous awareness necessary to play this game. 

Guild wars is a very serious game very rewardng for the skilled. Very punishing for the unskilled or new. 

Comments

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Oh god

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• hypersanhypersan Member Posts: 63

>.>

im not trolling..

• jaycejayce Member Posts: 133
    and the people who will play the sPvP seriously for its esport haven't even really chimed in yet.

will theynerf the difficulty?

i definately think so.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by hypersan

Guild wars is a very serious game very rewardng for the skilled. Very punishing for the unskilled or new. 

This is really great since the mmorpg pool is flooded with simple and easy to get to, and easy to play games. I really hope Anet does not give in if there's a lot of people whining it's too hard, I dont want to see yet again another game dive into dumbed down state, because it did stuff differently, and too many vocal handless people want to drag the game to their level. There really is room for a bit more difficulty and difference.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

will theynerf the difficulty?

i definately think so.

I hope not.. There is WoW for people who want a game that requires no skill.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130

I agree that they will "nerf" the difficulty, but I'm probably one of the few that wishes they wouldn't.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Guildwars 2 is a skill based game. It does this very well. It punishes the unskilled with death after death until it becomes tedious for them and they choose to quit or improve. It does not give any pointers towards improvement instead it maintains its punishment until you figure out how to play it. 

Many people are turned off by that. Many people just are not skilled enough to play this build. When you do figure things out and find your rythmn it feels so awesome because you are so much better than those around you. 

Those who dont understand how to actually play this game will look at the pve and think its very simplistic. Those who do understand will see complexity within complexity. Arenanet has done a ridculously good job of makeing an incrediblly worhtwhile game. Unfortunately many people are not worhty of it and will never see the real depth. 

Maybe they set the bar too high for the mainstream. Maybe they need to find away to reward skill and slow down on the punishment of the unskilled. 

Two friends and my girlfriend wathced me playing beta theyboth saw what i had to do to kill a mob and immediately realised that there is no way that they could sit and do that mob after mob it would just take too much concentration. 

It is very difficult for someone used to unwinding and relaxing while playing a game that allows you to facerool a few dailies and log feeling accomplished to come to terms with the focus concentration and continuous awareness necessary to play this game. 

People keep talking about ¨gw2 is an skill based game¨, as a veteran pvper i found gw2 pvp and gameplay just too easy. Is all about ¨press 1¨ and wait for cds, people talking about ¨the skill you need to change weapons on combat¨, Is just one Button ffs, what are you talking about?, it cant be more easy.  Seriously dont know what games you have been playing but if you really thing that gw2 combat is ¨Hard¨ and just for a elite of players, sry but  you are really not that good.  So far gw2 looks fun, but casual,  Seriously the fanboys gonna hurt this game badly

• BarkamBarkam Member Posts: 33
    The sad thing is that I find the game easy.  The mobs need to be 3 levels higher than me to find it challenging.  Unless the mob is 3 levels higher than me, I don't even bother dodge rolling against melee mobs.  I even gather 4 mobs at the same time to make it feel like the rush I get when I PvP.   For ranged mobs, if they are 2 levels higher than me I really have to dodge appropriately and have to pull them one at a time.
  • BarkamBarkam Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by hikaru77

People keep talking about ¨gw2 is an skill based game¨, as a veteran pvper i found gw2 pvp and gameplay just too easy. Is all about ¨press 1¨ and wait for cds, people talking about ¨the skill you need to change weapons on combat¨, Is just one Button ffs, what are you talking about?, it cant be more easy.  Seriously dont know what games you have been playing but if you really thing that gw2 combat is ¨Hard¨ and just for a elite of players, sry but  you are really not that good.  So far gw2 looks fun, but casual,  Seriously the fanboys gonna hurt this game badly

For PvE that's true.  However, once you start PvPing you'll soon find out that using abilities as soon as they are off cooldown will have you dead a lot faster.  I learned this the long and hard way.

Well if you are that good then you just are that good dude. Maybe you are in the top 2% of people if so disregard this post its not meant for peopl of your obvious skills.

The fact is that in events the most common thing to see are tons and tons of corpses on the ground players who have died repeatedly ..brute forcing the event literally throwing their bodies into a zerg like grinder. Instead of adapting they continue playngn the game the way THEY THINK the game should be played. But hey they seem to be having fun. 

• meltingstarsmeltingstars Member UncommonPosts: 51

I hope it stays tough, just watching the streams and I see people whipe all the time if they don't play correctly.  I thought I would be getting this game for the WvW, yet from what I've seen (haven't played yet) the PvE fights have lots of movement and proper use of skills. 

For all the zerg talk with dynamic events, well, with everyone logging into the servers at the same time that's to be expected, when things cool down there will be less people around for DEs, making it less of a zerg rush perhaps. 

Even with all the reviews I'm still going with my feelings of watching live streams.  And I don't enjoy being dualistic yet I try to take appealing words of positive reviews that resonate with me to see if I'll like the game, so far I'm still going to get the game.

in all seriousness the game is worth the money. With starting features such as these its gonna have an amazing lifecycle. 

So it doesnt hurt to get your foot in the door you will be around for the future without a subscription. 

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

LOL

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Originally posted by RebelScum99

LOL

sad part i think he is serious....

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Originally posted by C1d0s

This has to be a troll post. Has to be.

So instead of countering with something productive, we throw the troll card. I think we know who the trolll is

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Originally posted by Toxia

So instead of countering with something productive, we throw the troll card. I think we know who the trolll is

did you even read the post?

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Originally posted by miagisan

Sure did, and playing it myself, and i totally agree with him. I died so many times when i first began because even after watching all the video's, i still didn't have a clue as to what i should be doing. Once, as the poster said, i figured out how the mechanics works, it became totally doable, but you HAVE TO CONCENTRATE on what you are doing versus all the other mmo's i've played. It is insanely rewarding once you figure it out and begin to kill things once after the other.'

But still, hey, this guys opinion doesnt match ours, must be a troll huh?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Originally posted by miagisan

I do not agree with the approach the OP is taking but I have to somewhat agree with his view point. I think a better way to put it is that guild wars has a slightly higher learning curve and it may be one that could put off certain casual players. I see people in game die constantly because they aren't reacting properly and it may end up frustrating a lot of people. 

I for one would personally like to see the difficulty stay mostly in tact and just refine it here and there. An adept player can tactically withdraw and come back to fight in a short amount of time. A bad player is going to have to suffer running back quite often. The bottom line is you can't approach this like a standard MMORPG when thinking in terms of combat and survivability, and this is going to be a shock for many until they adapt.

• NavacNavac Member Posts: 37

I've played arena competitively in WoW for quite a few seasons and would consider myself a skilled pvper, I've played to 2500+ on my priest in 3's and 2400+ on my rogue in 3's.  This game is skill based, but as it is in beta people who enjoy competitve e-sport games will not be able to take this seriously unless they fix a few things.

First off, the action is pretty slow paced and is slightly clunky in terms of fluidity.   Playing a warrior, when I attempt to charge a character, I can't just charge someone while I'm running, first my character stops for a second, then charges, the games skills aren't smooth enough yet.  Same applies with using skills that need to be used quickly at precise times, things just don't fire off fast enough to me and I think a lot of avid WoW pvpers will feel the same.  

Here are a few other skills that feel clunky to me and just not smooth playing the warrior calss:

Earthshaker, Hammershock, Staggering Blow, Bull's Charge, Whilwind Attack, Rush

Keep in mind I use these skills quite often in order to kill someone or try and escape enemies.  It really can be frustrating at times.

I'll go in depth with one other skill , earthshaker.

When I try and run and then leap at the target using my burst skill, my character stops for a second then jumps at the target, which in some cases the target has already moved out of the AoE zone.  I know you can premtively use the skill but at the moment it is very clunky

If they can fix the fluidity of the animations and actually using the skills from a running point at least for melee, this game will feel much more smooth and skill based.

The reason I enjoy World of Warcraft is because everything is extremely smooth when using my skills, and is really twitch based hence the reason it has become an e-sport.   Guild Wars doesn't exactly have this just yet, and I hope they can improve some of the skills I mentioned above, unfortunately I haven't played any other class and can't comment on them.

Also I forgot to add that the queueing of abilities isn't a great idea when people are trying to spam keys as quick as possible if this game is to be more skill based and twitchy

With that said I'm enjoying the game and really think it's already better then WoW or any other MMO out their right now, it could be just that every other game I've been playing is getting stale, but I could realistically see myself playing this game (even competitively) for a long time if the mentioned issues are fixed.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I am loving in didnt even log on to my Tera headstart at all today. GW2 is definately a game for gamers with something between their ears.

As the OP said there are TONS of button mashers playing right now but they are dying over and over.

If they take the time to learn their own skills and pay attention not just to what the mobs are doing but to what their own toon does they will soon realize you can build skill combo moves that are extremely effective and effiecent.

However reading and paying attention seems to be way past many players.

On a side not OMFG!! I LOVE the crafting Im already a master leather crafter and all I can say is HOLY COW!

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

Good lord some of you sure like the smell of your own farts alot dont ya?

This guy actually comes on here talking about how his imaginary girlfriend stood around in awe of his superhuman concentration while playing GW2.

If any post on this forum deserves a COOL STORY BRO response its this one.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by BilboDoggins

Good lord some of you sure like the smell of your own farts alot dont ya?

This guy actually comes on here talking about how his imaginary girlfriend stood around in awe of his superhuman concentration while playing GW2.

If any post on this forum deserves a COOL STORY BRO response its this one.

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing.  So, long story short, if you don't like GW2, it's because you aren't intelligent enough to grasp the intricate spam-heavy combat system that the game features.  

So it's your fault you don't like it, not some shortcoming or flaw in the game.  Gotta love the GW2 fans.  

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

I started as an engineer and went into PVP as soon as I could. I pretty much had no idea what I was doing. I just spammed once they were off of cooldown, no ryhme, reason or team coordination. Others on my team did as well.

The result? We lost 92 to 500. Another Engineer actually took on, and defeated, both myself and a guardian, all by himself, and we only got him below half health once. 4 of us also lost a 4v2 battle with 2 deaths and 2 of us (myself and a ranger) retreating. All we managed to do was down-state their Mesmer near the end, but we couldn't finish him.

Then I really started to learn the class. Several hours of play time later, I was taking on several people at a time and holding my own. Myself and an elementalist took on 4 guys, killed one, downstated another and then disabled the others enough to retreat without dying.

I promise you, once people start to really learn this game, your "press 1, wait for cd" tactics will get you killed repeatedly.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Oh Dammit!

I really wanted to play this game too!