Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paid Beta = bad practice

13»

Comments

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

lol. U did not pay for a beta. u pay for the final game at release. the acces beta was just some cream on the cake.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96

still close beta,and always have a choice to get in or not.you paid for it to get access to beta to test the game,thats it..you people are funny :D

your choice to wait or touch the unfinish game

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Originally posted by sk8chalif

lol. U did not pay for a beta. u pay for the final game at release. the acces beta was just some cream on the cake.

Hmmm pay $60 when the game comes out? Or pay $60 potentially many months ahead of time for no reason? I don't see a reason to do the second option unless.... oh yeah there's something there to sweeten the deal, like beta access. People who paid, did it for beta access and obviously the game too.

I may put down the minimum $5 to pre-order the game to ensure the store has my copy, but I sure as hell don't put down $60 on a game that's not going to come out for many months unless there is some incentive to do so.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Betakodo

Hmmm pay $60 when the game comes out? Or pay $60 potentially many months ahead of time for no reason? I don't see a reason to do the second option unless.... oh yeah there's something there to sweeten the deal, like beta access. People who paid, did it for beta access and obviously the game too.

I may put down the minimum $5 to pre-order the game to ensure the store has my copy, but I sure as hell don't put down $60 on a game that's not going to come out for many months unless there is some incentive to do so.

Exacly if there was no beta acess associated with the purchase it would be another story. I find it hard to believe they would have sold out of digital copies if it was just a prepurchase for the game at release.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

You can call it whatever, but what is happening this weekend with GW2 is not a access to a closed beta. Anet is not holding anyone with access to game servers to a NDA. They are not asking for any bug finding feedback. They made people pay full price to stress test there servers and play, nothing more. I do find it bad practice to make consumers spend $60.00 on a unfinished product using the carrot on the stick of having access to the servers. They already have their alpha and closed beta testing community that were picked because of past testing experience and different systems specs.

So the question remains. Why not just have people who want to pre-purchase the game lay down $5.00 that will get them a held copy on release and the in game stuff, and just invite all those and others who signed up and are part of the GW2 official community to do the stress testing like this weekend without having to pay for a unfinished game.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

Originally posted by nilden

Exacly if there was no beta acess associated with the purchase it would be another story. I find it hard to believe they would have sold out of digital copies if it was just a prepurchase for the game at release.

they "sold out" to control the number of people who has access to this weekend's beta. we will think much worse abt ANET's business if they continue to sell the digital copies and yet still has a login/registration/access issue unresolved.

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by Metentso

Originally posted by stayBlind

Oh man, I paid for the beta?

Guess I'll have to buy the game when it comes out.

You didn't pay the beta with the money you spent. That was to buy the game. You payed for the beta by buying the game earlier, giving the money early, having less information... basically taking a bigger risk buying.

There was never any doubt that I would buy this game so whats the big deal?

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by colddog04

I agree. I think paid beta just makes people hostile when things don't work the way they're supposed to. 

If someone is going to get hostile, it wouldnt matter if it was before or after release

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

pre ordering as opposed to a pre purchase is a bad idea for the devs. too many people spend 5 bucks or whatever to try a beta then cancel. take GW2 for example...the devs see X amount of pre orders/purchases and base their server needs accordingly....now after the last beta before release all those pre orders with no intention of buying, bail. It just makes better sense from a development and financial standpoint for the purchase.

No one is forcing you to prepay. Its your decision as the consumer to decide if its worth it to jump in beforehand or wait till release.

Like it or not, pre purchase tied in with a beta is here to stay.

• KonyakZeroKonyakZero Member CommonPosts: 48

Actually, the reason ArenaNet made people buy the game to be able to play the beta is so that people who never played Guild Wars WOULDN'T be able to play the beta. It was a clever tactic to let their hardcore players that have stuck with them through the years get something for pre purchasing a game they probably were going to buy regardless.

The people that didn't play GW and pre purchased GW2 was just a bonus.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by KonyakZero

Actually, the reason ArenaNet made people buy the game to be able to play the beta is so that people who never played Guild Wars WOULDN'T be able to play the beta. It was a clever tactic to let their hardcore players that have stuck with them through the years get something for pre purchasing a game they probably were going to buy regardless.

The people that didn't play GW and pre purchased GW2 was just a bonus.

Funny thing is the GW1 vets are the ones that are hating on the game because Anet did not take anything from gw1 to make this game.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

well money for me is not a issue, so i dont realy care,

i payed the full price because i know what iam looking for  and i know what is gw2.

paying 5$ then have to to do the final payment later its like doing it twice .

pay 1 time and its done

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~