Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Never played an RGP, Torchlight deal or D3?

schertztschertzt appleton, WIPosts: 110Member

Well I have never played an RPG before, like Torchlight or Diablo (original SC a bit if that counts)

I was reading up on Torchlight and I actually like the graphics & UI better than D3.  However, seems like D3 is going to offer so much more.

Because I probably will not be pourchasing both, would you just go for Torchlight?  Heck, if I don't really enjoy it, only $20 for 2 games compared to the 60.

Ideas?

Solo friendly?

Jump on and play for 25 min and log?

Playing: GW2, Planetside 2.
Trying out: Age of Wushu
Looking forward to: AA, Wildstar

Comments

• AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon
    Normally i'd say D3 however the cost of it and you being new to the genre i'd recommend torchlight deal for price alone. The first game kept me busy for about 20 hours of goofing off and its trickly singleplayer with little to no story. Best bang for your buck if you dont really know what ya want yet.
  • schertztschertzt appleton, WIPosts: 110Member
    I agree too, I should be getting Torchlight, but, D3 comes out sooner and I dont want to just end up buying D3 in 2 weeks just because I cant play T2

Playing: GW2, Planetside 2.
    Trying out: Age of Wushu
    Looking forward to: AA, Wildstar

• AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon

Originally posted by schertzt

I agree too, I should be getting Torchlight, but, D3 comes out sooner and I dont want to just end up buying D3 in 2 weeks just because I cant play T2

Well if ya preorder TL2 on steam you get TL1 unless they changed it. For 20 bucks that isn't a bad deal. Not everyone likes ARPGs, so really the cheaper deal may be the best option as in you've only lost 20 bucks instead of 60. 

There is also another option i forgot, Diablo 3 will have a starter edition which lets you play until 20 as many characters as you want. Once 20 however the character is locked until you upgrade/delete. To my knowledge this will be out on release. So it'll let ya get a taste of what the game style is before paying a dime and also let you decide if D3 is worth 60 bucks to you.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 2,928Member Uncommon

I'f you are just starting in the genre I would suggest Diablo 2 Battle Chest ($20) or Titan Quest Gold ($6.50). 

If you're adament about D3 or TL I guess play it safe and get the TL2 deal which include TL1 ($20).

Personally I'm buying D3 because of the dedicated servers with inherent hack/cheat control and the built in game finder and auction market.

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    They're both good series, get both
  • Delerious1Delerious1 Lynnwood, WAPosts: 72Member

Wait and buy Diablo 3.  It's not even close.

I have Torchlight and it's good for what it is, but even just playing D3 during the open beta weekend I can safely say it is far superior in literally every single way possible.

• kjempffkjempff AarhusPosts: 883Member Uncommon

Rest your horses and check out Drakensang.. because its free and a pretty decent game for a week.

Although I will be playing diablo2 myself when ladder resets on 2nd may, I wouldnt recommend it to a new player. First, Diablo2 will probably die out with Diablo3 so not a good investment, second you may not like D3 after playing D2 :)

There is also the classic and best rpg to date, Baldurs Gate 2 although it is more traditional turn based combat. Neverwinter nights 2 is not bad either but these are both older games and that fact alone may turn some away.

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Chicago, ILPosts: 413Member Uncommon

Some very good suggestions in this thread.

I thought TL was ok, but not great.  Tried the D3 demo and definitley will not be playing that.  D1 and D2 were great but you would have to get past the dated graphics.

If you want an action RPG which those two games are, Titan Quest is probably your best bet.  Great gameplay, great graphics, and you can probably get it for almost nothing too.

If you want a true RPG, then treat yourself to Baldur's gate as earlier suggested, one of the best games of all time.  There are quite a few mods out there for it also.

Good luck.