Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it bug anyone else when your friends can't log in but you see Arenanet employees yuking it up i

BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

I'm in game, friends aren't because the log in servers down. I see all these Arenanet employees in WvW having the time of their lives. Same thing happens when the server crashes, they somehow get in before everyone else and miss being stuck at the log in screen. I was able to get in after the crash too, but still my friends are stuck outside.

What's worse is the log in server is shared with the forum's log in server, so good luck trying to get into the GW2 forums. Oh yeah, can anyone find the specific article that they said they knew players treated beta's as demo's for the game? I believe it was on the GW2 website faq but they've changed it now that beta's out.

Comments

• GoEzGoEz Member CommonPosts: 16
    you're complaining because the people who made the game are playing the game.
  • GenreNinjaGenreNinja Member CommonPosts: 159

Generally most issues, even the big ones, aren't "all hands on deck" issues. Most of them can't be. The really big things require the attention of 1 maybe 2 or 3 lead engineers to fix, but the rest of the team sits on their hands. Chances are the people you are seeing in game, have no way of contributing towards solving the log in server issue.

And it should also be noted that because they're on site they have neat tools that do things like: bypass the login server.

---

Live a life less ordinary.

• jmh1981jmh1981 Member Posts: 16

I'm not sure I'd want an artist (or one of the many other jobs that aren't server related) trying to fix networking issues. O.o

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Originally posted by GoEz

Yes. It's not just one, but I've seen handfuls on the server. Really, I'm starting to agree with people on the official forums (When they were up) on a refund. This was no worth $60 bucks this early. Most of the time I've been trying to log into the game. While the game itself wasn't bad (Except for the part where they haven't optimized it to be not CPU heavy) asking for $60 right now, for 3 days of this mess with no game in hand is way too much. I think people wouldn't complain about this if they only had $5 pre-orders get invites.

Originally posted by Betakodo

Yes. It's not just one, but I've seen handfuls on the server. Really, I'm starting to agree with people on the official forums (When they were up) on a refund. This was no worth $60 bucks this early. Most of the time I've been trying to log into the game. While the game itself wasn't bad (Except for the part where they haven't optimized it to be not CPU heavy) asking for $60 right now, for 3 days of this mess with no game in hand is way too much. I think people wouldn't complain about this if they only had $5 pre-orders get invites.

Chances are, the $5 pre-orders will get invites later one closer to released. But just for good measure:

Generally most issues, even the big ones, aren't "all hands on deck" issues. Most of them can't be. The really big things require the attention of 1 maybe 2 or 3 lead engineers to fix, but the rest of the team sits on their hands. Chances are the people you are seeing in game, have no way of contributing towards solving the log in server issue.

And it should also be noted that because they're on site they have neat tools that do things like: bypass the login server.

---

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Because everyone in game that has  an ArenaNet tag must know exactly what it wrong with the servers and be able to fix it themselves? Because modelers, animators, concept artists, graphic designers, web designers and level designers have any idea of how the server infrastructure works? How do you know that the people in game aren't even simply GM's who are in getting their feet wet with the community?

I love how you continuously make troll threads about this game and assume that every Anet person in game must be slacking off from fixing the servers. 

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Yeah, I agree with that the "prepurchase" choice is causing far more complaints than regular pre-orders would. Does anyone remember if any company has ever used beta-access as means to make people prepurchase a MMORPG before? (Do note that I mean prepurchase and not preorder)

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    No, it doesn't bother me, but thanks for asking.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Yeah, I agree with that the "prepurchase" choice is causing far more complaints than regular pre-orders would. Does anyone remember if any company has ever used beta-access as means to make people prepurchase a MMORPG before? (Do note that I mean prepurchase and not preorder)

Derpa herpa what? ArenaNet is making people prepurchase by using beta access? Eh I see it as an incentive that worked.

Yeah, I do think it's causing more of an uproar than it should, but thats the communities fault, not ArenaNets. Because if you step back fromt he heavy opinions of the internet, it's not as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be. 

I don't think anyone has done it like this before, but most new change is met with a great deal of resistance. I'm sure GW2 is going to end up setting a standard. The question isn't any longer "Is ArenaNet going to get away with it?" Because they already have. It's more of "Will others start following suit?" I think the answer is yes. This is a game changer for the industry. And a good one in my opinion.

Edit: To be honest, I've been craving a company that sticks it to the User and says "If you don't like it,t hen this isn't for you." It's interesting to see ArenaNet take a step in that direction. It's brave.

---

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Have to admit, I'd probably say something about it. Regardless of your position at the company, bypassing the login servers to play while people are stuck unable to log in on the beta weekend which they paid good money for is just bad form IMO.
  • First off:

THIS IS BETA YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANYTHING.

Second off:

Those employees have nothing they can do to fix the issues.  They are probably testers/designers and maybe high level coders.  They do not fix domain name servers and what not and would just get in the way if they tried help.

So all in all I am actually happy they think their game is fun and have a good time.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Are you kidding me?? what kind of immature question is that??

• Originally posted by Rednecksith

Have to admit, I'd probably say something about it. Regardless of your position at the company, bypassing the login servers to play while people are stuck unable to log in on the beta weekend which they paid good money for is just bad form IMO.

Come on people.  Beta access is a perk its not what you payed for.  Release is what you pay for.

Second off due to the nature of domains and inter vs intra networks its entirely possible that they ALWAYS bypass the normal login servers and therefore don't have the same problem if the blockage is outside their network.

Its not a conspiracy.  Its not special treatment.  Its the way networks work.  People need to stop thinking they are special enough to snub, they aren't.  We are all just normal peoeple with a computer somewhere along a traceroute that is FUBAR.  They don't have the same traceroute.  In fact since they are internal they probably basically have no traceroute at all.

• koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    so if i got this rigth, you are upset because in-house beta testers are testing the game? that makes little sense.. ofc the in-house beta testers will bypass the login servers and such, its not like they get paid to sit in queue's.

• Originally posted by koira1

so if i got this rigth, you are upset because in-house beta testers are testing the game? that makes little sense.. ofc the in-house beta testers will bypass the login servers and such, its not like they get paid to sit in queue's.

Well envy is a terrible thing.  Its makes people all sorts of irrational.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Originally posted by gestalt11

Paid $60 to get beta weekend access, not getting it. Really, this seems like it's just the version of the game that was shown at the conventions connected to multiple servers.

• Bandw2Bandw2 Member Posts: 6

Paid $60 to get beta weekend access, not getting it. Really, this seems like it's just the version of the game that was shown at the conventions connected to multiple servers.

you paid $60 for the final release of the game and all builds there after. because you paid early, congrats they decided you would get guarenteed beta access. the beta access was a gift, for you buying early. no money was spent on obtaining the beta, it was given out. you still own the right to play the release so there isn't any way for them to give you your money back. it's like complainign your 2nd donut on a buy 1 get 1 free deal was damaged when you could see it was damaged before geting it.

Originally posted by Rednecksith

It's quite possible they were already logged in before the login server crashed. There are many people still in game and playing at the moment. But the ones that were logged out for whatever reason, can't get back in.

---

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by Xerith

Because everyone in game that has  an ArenaNet tag must know exactly what it wrong with the servers and be able to fix it themselves? Because modelers, animators, concept artists, graphic designers, web designers and level designers have any idea of how the server infrastructure works? How do you know that the people in game aren't even simply GM's who are in getting their feet wet with the community?

I love how you continuously make troll threads about this game and assume that every Anet person in game must be slacking off from fixing the servers. 

This ^

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I'm in game, friends aren't because the log in servers down. I see all these Arenanet employees in WvW having the time of their lives. Same thing happens when the server crashes, they somehow get in before everyone else and miss being stuck at the log in screen. I was able to get in after the crash too, but still my friends are stuck outside.

What's worse is the log in server is shared with the forum's log in server, so good luck trying to get into the GW2 forums. Oh yeah, can anyone find the specific article that they said they knew players treated beta's as demo's for the game? I believe it was on the GW2 website faq but they've changed it now that beta's out.

Indeed why do they not work 26 hours a day! I mean the guy from marketing/programmer/cleaner has to stop being lazy and get your friend in the game right now! Poeple are working on it, I am sure.

Originally posted by Bandw2

you paid $60 for the final release of the game and all builds there after. because you paid early, congrats they decided you would get guarenteed beta access. the beta access was a gift, for you buying early. no money was spent on obtaining the beta, it was given out. you still own the right to play the release so there isn't any way for them to give you your money back. it's like complainign your 2nd donut on a buy 1 get 1 free deal was damaged when you could see it was damaged before geting it.

Technically you did not even pay for all build after release ;)
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by jmh1981

I'm not sure I'd want an artist (or one of the many other jobs that aren't server related) trying to fix networking issues. O.o

^^This.

They are having server problems. There are many many staff that work for ANet that wouldnt have the first clue how to help with that. Its a Saturday, maybe they are accountants, or HR people etc. Maybe the people you are seeing ingame are QA testers? who knows. 

I doubt anyone that should be fixing things is in game right now....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

The beta weekends arent suposed to be worth $60. If they were it would be called release. $60 buys you the game to play at release with no sub fees after that ever. Paying the $60 today instead of tommorow gets you into the beta weekends without any other hassles. So worst case your looking out on losing the interest you might have gained on $60 being in your savings account for 2 to 3 months or about 15 cents.

So the real question - is access to the beta weekends worth about 15 cents to you? My answer is yes.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

on the other hand, it will be much more troubling if Arenanet employess cannot log in to their own servers!
    then they will be posting in these forums complaining about Error code:48:1000:7006:529:101 or something
    it shouldnt be a surprise that the machines their playing on are uber-compatible with their own game, compared to thousands out there beta testing with different setups and alot other things to factor in (region, ISP, sys req, etc)

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

lol grow up.  Yet more posts by people who think Beta = fully finished game, I have a right to play a fully finished game!  

Beta = game is not finished or released.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Maelkor

The beta weekends arent suposed to be worth $60. If they were it would be called release. $60 buys you the game to play at release with no sub fees after that ever. Paying the $60 today instead of tommorow gets you into the beta weekends without any other hassles. So worst case your looking out on losing the interest you might have gained on $60 being in your savings account for 2 to 3 months or about 15 cents.

So the real question - is access to the beta weekends worth about 15 cents to you? My answer is yes.

Yeah,you would think that someone who paid to get into the beta would be more interested in breaking the game at that stage so it could be fixed for release and not just to demo it and then when it does break get upset over the fact that things broke in a beta.image