Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat too pew pew?

ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Seems like the combat, and this affects all professions, boils down to who has the biggest dps hits.

The CC and debuffs and buffs are all so short lived that it feels pointless to cast them.

I think mostly it just feels like combat is way too fast.  You arent one-shotted, unless facing a veteran 3 levels over you due to scaling, but you are three seconded.

I know people hate in pvp when CC is overpowered or it feels like you are always locked down, but they specifically said pve was different than pvp, so why cant the pve cc have more of an effect?

Explorer 73% Achiever 53% Socializer 53% Killer 20%

Comments

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Archaegeo

Seems like the combat, and this affects all professions, boils down to who has the biggest dps hits.

The CC and debuffs and buffs are all so short lived that it feels pointless to cast them.

I think mostly it just feels like combat is way too fast.  You arent one-shotted, unless facing a veteran 3 levels over you due to scaling, but you are three seconded.

I know people hate in pvp when CC is overpowered or it feels like you are always locked down, but they specifically said pve was different than pvp, so why cant the pve cc have more of an effect?

I found PvP to be the complete opposite. It takes forever to kill someone in 1v1, since it seems like every class has a self heal that can bring you back to full health.

• ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Right, but it feels like its purely pew pew or heal, that cc and buff/debuff are almsot immaterial.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

i kinda like that cc is short lived.

i can't stand cc.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Right, but it feels like its purely pew pew or heal, that cc and buff/debuff are almsot immaterial.

That's not good, I was hoping for buffs and debuffs/cc to actually mean something in PvE.  As they have the systems separated (pvp and pve) there is no reason that debuffs/buffs and CC should be pointlessly weak.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I would say most action games of this nature are pew pew.. just like Dragons Nest.  I agree the CC and stuns are short lived but I use them to hold someone long enough to use a more powerful skill which I may not connect with if they werent.

Its still beta so it could change based on feedback.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

I noticed that knocking down and debuff after works well against opponents in PvE.

It seems the timing and the way you apply a debuff matters in the combat of GW2.

It's not like in GW1 in which you could apply debuffs easily seeing them eating through the opponent for a long time.

From what I saw so far though you will be able to increase the effect through upgrades, combinations and such so with the right strategy you can indeed be effective with them and get someone downed.

Recovery skills can also get interrupted the way ressurection can be interrupted or get you killed while you are at it.

That was my experience in PvE so far though, can't tell if it works the same way in PvP.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

I am fine with Pew Pew, if there are some level of tatics and action decision, rather than simply facerolling/button mashing.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    CC effects aren't meant to completely shut down the opponent. They buy you a little time so you can adjust your positioning perhaps, get a heal out, etc.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    You have apparently never been turned into a moa bird for 10 seconds.
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Meele has an issues in big dynamic events, they get 1-2 shotted by bosses constantly.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by colddog04

Oh! Oh, I have! lol

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Mephster

Meele has an issues in big dynamic events, they get 1-2 shotted by bosses constantly.

That will happen until people learn that:

1. No one is pure melee, mix it up!

2. You cannot stand there and take damage. Period. Watch the opponent, see the attack coming, avoid it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    What heal are you guys using that's "bringing you back to full health?"  So far as I knew, no one had a heal that gave you any more than HALF health except really a necro......

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

yes, this game plays a bit different. the CCs in PVE are really weak. but so they are in most games with fast-paced action oriented combat since about a decade. they just buy you a bit time. my 1st impression is, that the real CC in GW2 is: keep in motion, dodge if needed but take care about the bar, know what you are attacking or the mobs roflstomp you, which is not easy in the crowd of a dynamic event, and always look at this stampede coming from behind. so positioning, movement and overwiew is key. dont believe that CC will rescue you.

reminds me to raiding endgame or old-style open dungeons. you either know whats going on or you are dead. its astonishing, how much shit starts to happen on level 2 already. i like that.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by just1opinion

What heal are you guys using that's "bringing you back to full health?"  So far as I knew, no one had a heal that gave you any more than HALF health except really a necro......

the Thf standard heal heals them to almost full.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by colddog04

I laughed when I read this. Maybe it's because I'm playing a mesmer :P.

Anyways, I think the point of CC is so that you can use it to heal quickly or get further away from your opponent. I don't you're suppose to completely rely on CC and conditions. 

• OP is completely backwards.  Its very tactical.  But it also requires very good timing and anticipation.

Long duration CC with little ability to counter is simply lazy.  There are ways to completely nullify a large DPS attack.

Since it requires timing and anticipation what you see is a lot of people flaily about blindly and button mashing.  This is a normal reaction.  You ever seen someone who has no idea what they are doing get in a fist fight?  They either fold or through crazy wild punchs/grabs that ridiculously easy to avoid and counter.

Same thing in Guild Wars 2.  I know of a number of builds that could chains out 3, 4 , 5 abilities and/or dodges to take no damage at all.  Anyone telling you projectiles are auto hit is so full of crap its amazing.  Try that with the necro staff projectile. 

If you want to stun someone for 10 seconds that's fine.  If you want to walk around invulnerable for 10 seconds that's fine too.  But its crap for mechanics. 

If you are just getting wasted left and right not avoiding things.  It HAS to be because you freaked out and wasted the stuff that lets you do that, because its there AND Anet has been very good about making sure there are indications like red circles on the ground telling you, you are in an AOE and should dodge.

So the problem is on you if you are getting wasted left and right.  Either you are running into too many things, getting over extended, or you just paniced and blew abilities you shouldn't have.  Or worse have no idea what the abilties really do and are mashing them.

• ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233

But there are a lot of CC that are things like 1 sec daze, by the time you cast it and it affects them and you notice it, its gone.

3 sec debuffs, etc, esp for those like necs who can do things by absorbing conditions or boons

• jerome1986jerome1986 Member Posts: 34
    is it just me or was WAR pvp a lot better than GW2 pvp ?    in WAR it was a lot more slower paced, there was less particle effects so u could see whats happening.  therefore u could be more strategic rather than button mash in a mob of fireworks in GW2.

• Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I would say most action games of this nature are pew pew.. just like Dragons Nest.  I agree the CC and stuns are short lived but I use them to hold someone long enough to use a more powerful skill which I may not connect with if they werent.

Its still beta so it could change based on feedback.

Dragon's Nest is much more pew pew.  Doding/teleport is much more powerful in DN and is therefore much more like a true action game.  While dodging is useful and necessary in GW2 its not nearly as powerful as DN.

A good sorcoress in DN can run through most dungeons having been barely hit but using a combination of KD/KB and Dodge+teleport.  Part of it is you do it more and part of it is you go farther.

But in DN the action style gameplay can essentially be a complete defense.

Doding is not a complete defense in GW2.  Not at all.  You need to save your dodges for particular things.

I think part of the problems is people keep getting told that GW2 is like games like DN but its not.  If you dodge the way you would in DN you will probably not have it up when you need it in GW2 and then you get 2 shotted yes.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by Mephster

That will happen until people learn that:

1. No one is pure melee, mix it up!

2. You cannot stand there and take damage. Period. Watch the opponent, see the attack coming, avoid it.

Indeed now have a ranged weapon equiped on my gaurdian as well. The frozen Maw "dynamic" quest really though me how usefull that was.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I must admit I'm disappointed with the combat in PvP. If you get a group working together players go down way too fast.

Sure, 1v1 you get some good fights, though Mesmer is a pain to deal with. But when its grouped PvP, its just over too quick.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    the gameplay videos i've seen of the closed betas where the player chose heavily into enhancing dots and conditions took everything out just as quickly as burst dps because the conditions did the work for them. I'd say give it a bit more time into the game because initially both the burst and the conditions will be low and the burst will seem to be the dominant of the two since no one can put points into these immediately at level 2.
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by jerome1986

is it just me or was WAR pvp a lot better than GW2 pvp ?    in WAR it was a lot more slower paced, there was less particle effects so u could see whats happening.  therefore u could be more strategic rather than button mash in a mob of fireworks in GW2.

Oh yeah War PvP was great. Engineer /Chaos mage pulls everyone in. AoE, everyone dead.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

The problem is simply this....

Think about how nearly perfect roaming and fighting is.. but the fact you can't sustain any continuity in buffs, or with area control. Nearly everything in PvP and PvE is Pick-Up-Group (pug) and when I root a mob.. the average person can't see this, nor have time to react because it's only 6 seconds..!!

The combat needs to have a broader metric/dochotomy and allow ranged combat to be a slower pace..   or slower cadance.

I think ArenaNet should allow people to specialize even more... but with trade offs. Like someone who really Wantsa that extra 8s of root, must give up something equally important. Or even a stance trait.. based on a person backstory and profession..  that would be so different from any other "same" person, to make combat different, but equal distant.

Combat without a flushed out skill & trait templete does seem a tad Pew Pew, and even more so with pugs..

I have little group combat experience...  as I am trying to play from a solo perspective right now.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon