Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Facebook? Really?

CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

So I receive an email yesterday from Funcom regarding "The Secret War", which is the free-to-play, browser-based game inspired by The Secret World.

I think, nice...I can try the "lite" version of the game.  It looks good.  A couple things I read about TSW seem interesting, and I might even consider purchasing it, if it's at least a little different than the garbage that's been coming out the past year or two.

Then, I see that I MUST have a Facebook account to play it.  Really?  Despite popular demand, not everyone has or even wants a Facebook account.  So any way around this besides creating one?  No big deal if not, just another game I'll pass on.

Thanks.

Comments

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

You have to have a facebook account to play the Secret War.

Don't be worried though it is not a "lite" version of the Secret World, the Secret War is just a promotional thing. Your not missing out on anything by not playing it and the real game (The Secret World) won't require a facebook account at all.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483
    Ah super.  Thanks so much for giving me that info.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    just create a dummy account... Facebook will thank Funcom for the influx of accounts....
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by Centhan

So I receive an email yesterday from Funcom regarding "The Secret War", which is the free-to-play, browser-based game inspired by The Secret World.

I think, nice...I can try the "lite" version of the game.  It looks good.  A couple things I read about TSW seem interesting, and I might even consider purchasing it, if it's at least a little different than the garbage that's been coming out the past year or two.

Then, I see that I MUST have a Facebook account to play it.  Really?  Despite popular demand, not everyone has or even wants a Facebook account.  So any way around this besides creating one?  No big deal if not, just another game I'll pass on.

Thanks.

I've tried it and it's lame so you are not missing out. Not much of a game in there.

You click on a part of the map and send an agent out only to have him return later with some xp. That's it. There's no fighting.

Nothing is stopping you from creating a dummy account. If you are too anti facebook to even do that then just take my word for it. It sucks

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

About the only thing you need to set up a Facebook account is a valid email that doesn't already have one attached to it, they have precautions in place that trigger if you attempt multiple signups from the same IP in a short space of time but if you're not on FB already that shouldn't be an issue.

As has been said, "The Secret War" isn't much of a game and nothing like a "lite" version of The Secret World, it's more a viral marketing campaign and one of questionable effectiveness.  There are a few minor in-game items for TSW proper that you can win by playing The Secret War -- a couple of costmetic costume sets, some low-end weapons, XP and health potions, &c.; similar in general kind to some of the pre-order bonuses.

If you do start playing it becomes more interesting if you join one of the groups for your chosen faction. This gives you a place to post "propaganda" links without spamming your personal feed and is also a place for accumulating agents -- each person on your FB friendlist who is playing the game in the same faction counts as an "agent" who can be deployed once an hour to gain influence for your faction in a particular country (or US state). Another good reason for using a dummy account as it's a pain to remember to put every new "friend" on the "restricted" list.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It's online RISK with about 100k (maybe more) people OP. Cool little faction pride building game, plus viral marketing.  Something to do while we wait.

Nothing that is required, but you do get some in game fluff for cometeting.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I wont be signing up to Facebook...

Guess this is another MMO I'll be passing on.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Originally posted by tixylix

"Secret World" does not require a Facebook account.

"Secret War" does, it is only a marketing tool, but is not required to play "Secret World".

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by Arkain

"Secret War" does, it is only a marketing tool, but is not required to play "Secret World".

So nothing that takes place in "War" has any bearing in "World"? It's just social jacking-off of one another?

Well that's not to awful I guess. Other than the whole "not giving a shit about your privacy" standards of FB.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by bartoni33

Originally posted by Arkain

So nothing that takes place in "War" has any bearing in "World"? It's just social jacking-off of one another?

Well that's not to awful I guess. Other than the whole "not giving a shit about your privacy" standards of FB.

although i am interested in TSW, i don't have a facebook account any more either - deleted it last year, lol. permanent type of delete that they prefer you not to use image

It is kind of annoying that they try to use FB as some kind of marketing ploy though. Just as well that FB is not a requirement, although i think you can only get into the beta if you have signed up to the FB thing, another reason why im doing with TSW the same thing im doing with GW2, wait until the dust settles after release to see if the game is worth buying or not..  but if FB became a requirement or if it becomes a part of the game that assumes you use it and bases gameplay on FB membership, then, the decision whether to buy GW2 or TSW would sure be an easy one. image

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

So is it true that the only way to get in the Beta this weekend is to either pre-order or be a FB whore?

My excitement for this game just keeps getting lower and lower. I understand the pre-order thing but requiring FB? C'mon. Very ironic. Not that I actually believe in "secret societies" but I do believe in greedy people running social circle-jerk sites that care nothing about your privacy or who they sell your info to and make money off of.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ruejacobsruejacobs Member UncommonPosts: 41

My personal experience:

Never mind....it has been resolved.

:)