Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read here before crying about problems in BETA

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

This thread made me realize something:

"

Report this post

This post has already been reported

"

I didn't know that only one person could report a post :(.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by TheCrow2k
    lol, this is the norm now in MMO's. 99% of participants treat betas (happens in closed & open betas btw) as a free trial / demo. As a result the whinging is epic & the devs get no discernible increase in bug reports.....

the whining doesn't stop there, they are just as bad after launch. lol

it doesn't matter what game it is, some people don't seem to be happy unless they can cry about something on these forums.

i pretty much ignore every whine post that is ever created on every game unless i know its legit.

its the boy who cried wolf factor.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I'll just add that anyone who's had any kind of extensive experience in mmo betas knows exactly what BWE events like this are.

They are one part stress test one part PR. There is no reasonable amount of actual "testing" outside of stress testing that can be accomplished in one weekend.

Every game does this. The devs aren't looking for you to find 40 bugs (other testers already found them). There is no way you can test much of the content in one weekend.

They aren't looking for your balance feedback either. You don't have enough time to really understand the game's balance.

They want people who can fulfill one requirement: have a pulse and hammer the servers during a relatively short window of condensed player activity. That's it. Don't fool yourselves into thinking you are squashing bugs or affecting game design during a test like this. It's simply not true.

Be the warm body they need you to be, and spread the hype they want you to spread (if you must).

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Chrome1980

No you were just trying to be pedantic even though a little bit of posting on these forums would show you that no reasonable amount of complaining would help you save from fans fury. Thing is people don't like to hear negative things about their favorite games no matter how maturily you conduct yourself.

I am not being pedantic, I pointed out distinction in opposition to your implication that everyone is labeled regardless.

Complaining about beta issues indeed represents ignorance of valid reasons for the issue thus making such attitude immature.

So if a guy is unhappy with log in problems and he wants to discuss it with others he is an immature and a kid? so what are these forums for? just to join hands and prase GW2? because every complaint has some valid reason behind it. the real quesiton is do you have it in you to hear those complaints?  doubtful. Sorry bud but by supporting people like OP you are just showing your own immaturity.

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

summary of OP:

beta tests are about reporting bugs/problems/issues with the game

IM MAD COS PEOPLE ARE DOING EXACTLY THAT AND THEREFORE THEY ARE IDIOTS

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

What's with the exponential increase in Troll-bait thread titles lately?

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Never pay to beta test.
  • OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Im sure they havent changed the games graphics  or the questing system wich is just a simple attempt of making it look like its not the same old themepark game  when the game releases.

i dont like it and that is my opinion, If you do enjoy it please continue playing and have fun this is like saying i like red more then blue and someone else comes in and says NO i like blue more!  why cant you have ur own opinion and leave everyone alone that has another opinion.  this topic is so sad.

Originally posted by Deathenger

"Fixed the title since the trolls are reporting this as troll bait"

No it is still getting reported..because it is a troll bait.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

So if a guy is unhappy with log in problems and he wants to discuss it with others he is an immature and a kid?

Again, I pointed out the distinction between "unhappy immature kid" and person being unhappy.

You either read what I write and then you ask for further clarification if you do not understand some part of my argument, you bring some point countering mines or you just agree on disagreement.

Repeating same stuff over and over won't achieve anything nor helps to support your "point".

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Taken fron the interwebs because I'm lazy....

"A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release. Beta level software is between 60% and 70% complete, generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety."

Issues are part of the improvement process. As a beta tester you are there to help find bugs and report issues so they can be taken care of. You are a TESTER of an unfinished product, its NOT a free trial.

Yeah sure your pre-purchase allowed you the privelage of getting to participate as a beta tester but that still dosent change a thing. Your a tester of an unfinished product and thats it.

So save the rage a tears for your momma or stay away from betas. Crashes, login issues when the flood gates are opened and bugs come with the territory, expecially with the volume of people trying to play this game.

That is all fine but this is not a beta.  There has been an ongoing beta since December where real testimg goes on.  This is an open beta marketing weekend designed to get people to buy the game.  These open beta weekends have nothing to do with testing or finding bugs except for stress testing which it appears it greaty needs.  These weekends are all about marketing and selling the game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by dubyahite

I'll just add that anyone who's had any kind of extensive experience in mmo betas knows exactly what BWE events like this are.

They are one part stress test one part PR. There is no reasonable amount of actual "testing" outside of stress testing that can be accomplished in one weekend.

Every game does this. The devs aren't looking for you to find 40 bugs (other testers already found them). There is no way you can test much of the content in one weekend.

They aren't looking for your balance feedback either. You don't have enough time to really understand the game's balance.

They want people who can fulfill one requirement: have a pulse and hammer the servers during a relatively short window of condensed player activity. That's it. Don't fool yourselves into thinking you are squashing bugs or affecting game design during a test like this. It's simply not true.

Be the warm body they need you to be, and spread the hype they want you to spread (if you must).

That´s just partly true, any MMO player can tell you that some bugs are really rare and they might find a few of those during the weekend with so many players. As for balance it will give them some more stats to look on, not in the mists but in the instanced PvP.

But yeah, mainly is it to test the server software, the patcher and the login server. But that is very important still, even if they could have used chimps as beta testers. Obviously do they need the testing, just look how the login server acted yesterday.

There is of course a commercial part to it that I wish they didn't use.

So if a guy is unhappy with log in problems and he wants to discuss it with others he is an immature and a kid?

Again, I pointed out the distinction between "unhappy immature kid" and person being unhappy.

You either read what I write and then you ask for further clarification if you do not understand some part of my argument, you bring some point countering mines or you just agree on disagreement.

Repeating same stuff over and over won't achieve anything nor helps to support your "point".

Isn't that what you are doing? repeating same thing over and over again? i still have to see an unhappy immature kid but people putting forward their complaints in mature manner (without any attacks on others)..and also i doubt your standards which you use to label people 'kids'.

You seem more interested in discussing players and not the game.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Isn't that what you are doing? repeatign same thing over and over again?

The difference is you are repeating something that was already addressed, and I would say also well pointed out as flawed...

Isn't that what you are doing? repeatign same thing over and over again?

The difference is you are repeating something that was already addressed, and I would say also well pointed out as flawed...

Actually nope you didn't address anything. All you want me to believe is that people with genuine cocnerns and problems during beta are immature kids because they lack understanding  of valid reasoning. Now you can it in as many ways as you like doesn't mean i am goign to agree with you.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

lol, this is the norm now in MMO's. 99% of participants treat betas (happens in closed & open betas btw) as a free trial / demo. As a result the whinging is epic & the devs get no discernible increase in bug reports.....

I agree with you that an actual beta shouldn't be treated like a free trial/demo, but the moment you use the beta acces as marketing to convince people to pre-purchase, pay the game in full, there will be a lot of upset customers, since at this moment they are customers. I know that you actually pay for the game when it releases, not the beta, but it has been used as an incentive to convince people to buy faster and that results in people that have this issues being angry.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    Being angry about a few problems in a beta product is just stupid... IF the bugs still there once the game is released I will never buy nothing again from Anet, but for the beta? come one.... They show me they are really trying to fix things, because when the beta started I have a lot of problems with lag, fps, with spells, etc. Then they released a patch and fix those problems. After that I just want to keep playing until level 80 :)
  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

I agree with you that an actual beta shouldn't be treated like a free trial/demo, but the moment you use the beta acces as marketing to convince people to pre-purchase, pay the game in full, there will be a lot of upset customers, since at this moment they are customers. I know that you actually pay for the game when it releases, not the beta, but it has been used as an incentive to convince people to buy faster and that results in people that have this issues being angry.

You are correct that using Pre-Purchases as a Beta tester is really not that good of an decision on Anet's part. They should have just choosen from the million player that signed up for the beta as their testers. Then on the 2nd BWE to offer it to Pre-purchasers.

Atleast they took care of the log in problems and transfer problems, now they got months to work them out without the pressures of the playerbase, like so many other MMO's during launch.

From what I experienced, SWTOR didn't really have a smooth launch, there was a huge outcry from the playerbase during launch. Same with almost every MMO launch that I can remember, launches was never smooth.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Originally posted by karmath

That is what a real beta is. The vast majority of so called 'betas' have been nothing more than a marketing tool to generate sales. This GW2 beta is not a real beta by any stretch of the imagination, even some rampant fanboi's agree on that. What you see today is the finished product for the most part, a few small changes here and there will make it through sure, but if your thinking any major changes or optimisations are going to take place you are a fool that just got duped by Anets marketing/pr team, sorry.

^^This.  What the OP is referring to happened in closed Beta.  What is happening now is a marketing tool with the 100% released code.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

lol but but GW2 is the second coming of Jesus and DAoC 2.0 and would be the best thing like ever and no game could eve rbe better. Go figure Trion with zero years of experience pulled of a better BETA AND IT WAS ACTUALLY OPEN!

Key word. It is not OPEN BETA if I have to pay to get in. THE HILARIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS part is all the threads shitting on this game for being bad are from the people who baught it lol

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Puremallace

lol but but GW2 is the second coming of Jesus and DAoC 2.0 and would be the best thing like ever and no game could eve rbe better. Go figure Trion with zero years of experience pulled of a better BETA AND IT WAS ACTUALLY OPEN!

Key word. It is not OPEN BETA if I have to pay to get in. THE HILARIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS part is all the threads shitting on this game for being bad are from the people who baught it lol

Whats really Hilarious is that even at BETA, people nowadays expects the game to be launch ready...

Its strange that any game, demo or not, beta or not, alpha or not, as long as its being shown, People expect it has to be launch ready.

IF its launch ready, shouldn't it already have a Release date, shouldn't we already able to play the game pass level 35.

I bought the game, I beta it, I experience exactly why i bought it, When SWTOR had its open beta, most of the bugs, problems weren't fixed because its release date is coming up. GW2 has no release date, if ANet posted that their release date is 1 week from today, then i would be worried. Its best that they give themselve a few more month to iron out the log in bugs, and transfer bugs. Then a couple more BWE's to test out updates and changes they made.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Umm..ok.... where is the /report button..there it is ;)

Say the guy who joined 2 weeks ago.

edit : OP is 100% right technically. And as it's technically right, people shouldn't technically complain :p

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release. Beta level software is between 60% and 70% complete, generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety."

Issues are part of the improvement process. As a beta tester you are there to help find bugs and report issues so they can be taken care of. You are a TESTER of an unfinished product, its NOT a free trial.

Yeah sure your pre-purchase allowed you the privelage of getting to participate as a beta tester but that still dosent change a thing. Your a tester of an unfinished product and thats it.

So save the rage a tears for your momma or stay away from betas. Crashes, login issues when the flood gates are opened and bugs come with the territory, expecially with the volume of people trying to play this game.

If they had not charged for this I could understand. If they actually called it a TEST and not an EVENT, I could understand.

I can see why people would be upset, just because you are hardcore beta guy doesn't mean that people shouldn't be a bit perturbed by what they are getting. I mean, wasn't this game supposed to be mere weeks from release or whatever they drones were buzzing on about?

Hell, the MoP beta is buggy as hell, unfinished items, broken quests, all the things you would expect from the beta TEST, not an EVENT, and especially not an EVENT that I would have to pay for, not a pre-order, but a full purchase, to have the privilege to test...err, I mean event, err...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

I disagree. The minute you are charged money to participate in a beta, you become a previewer. Invite me to beta test your game and i'm a beta tester.

You dont pay someone to test their game

• ebonizedebonized Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Stimos8

Yeah thats great and all... but your forgotting one very important thing, most of the bad reviews about beta so far have been about the graphics, bad art style, same quests and movement/ gameplay bulkiness. You cant change anyone of those things once its hit beta, why? Because its to late, to have a full game revamp. It doesnt bring anything new to the table, like promised and overall does not appear to be that good...

pretty sure all those things boil down to opinion, because many people find them highly enjoyable and well done. if it's not that good for you then move on, stop posting in every single GW2 thread crying about it. go do something else with your life :|

This discussion has been closed.