Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice about refund

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by Aroich1

I've created an open dispute via paypal based upon two reasons.

Gameplay footage does not depicate actual gameplay.

Game was sold under the pretense that it's based upon GW free to play model.

Instead its based upon a cash shop.

I hope you didn't link your Guild Wars 2 account with your NCSoft account (or use the same email address), because if the paypal dispute goes through it is likely NCSoft will disable your entire account for fraud.

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

[mod edit]

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by fascism

Im reading a lot about this, if you live in the US look out for a class action lawsuit that should be filed soon. From what im hearing the person organizing it and the lawer they hired allready have over 300 people and the lawfirm thinks they have a strong case.

Do you have a source for this? I googled it and found nothing but I didn't spend more than a minute looking.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by L0C0Man

If you feel like the game isn't what you were promised/advertising, by all means do anything in your power to get a refund, but to be honest, out of curiosity I'd really like to know what would be the case about it being missleading in the advertising.

Personally I played the beta (granted, only a couple of hours last night) and while it does still show lots of rough edges (it's a beta after all), it did run better on my computer than other MMOs like Rift did, the gameplay was exactly what I was expecting based on the videos I've seen and what I've read, and about the cash shop, while still not convinced with things like the mystic keys (I'd prefer if they are either not there or available in game as well, no idea if that's the case so far), I don't see them being missleading about it. It is based on GW1 model (that it does have a cash shop, not from releast but was there when GW2 was first announced in 2007), I've seen posts discussing about it as far back as 2009, and IIRC they did detail the idea behind it in their blog well before the prepurchase started.

They depicted the animations as though they actually had a unique impact on pve. A smooth flowing system that gave it a realism I hadnt seen before in mmo's. It was a lie.

I expect bugs, stress testing and all that jazz. It's standard for all MMO's.

It is not my job to research the intricate history of a developing product such as an mmo. It is the companys responsbility that when they sell a product they advertise that product as is. Not as they wish it to be.

They left out clear factors about the game and they created false and misleading videos of gameplay footage which I used as the basis of my purchase.

How could they "depict" this? Are you saying they installed animations for the press beta and then took them out for us? C'mon you got to be kidding. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

OP here is adivce for your question. CALL THEM!

Next topic.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

I would like to see clear proof that it actualy is as the OP says :P.

besites that, its not a released product , you cant refund based on  beta gameplay since its not a live product. you will have to wait till the day it releases to file a refund.

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240
    OP please post one of those videos were the gameplay difers from the real game so we can understand your point of vew. Also the game is buy to play wich means you pay once and can play forever, nothing on the cahs shop is necesary in order to keep playing the game, it doesnt force you to use it.
  • KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Not to mention the fact that its a wow clone with zero innovation. It's city of heroes with a Guild Wars skin.

[mod edit]

You mention Paypal and paypal has buyer protection.   You simply tell them that in your opinion the item is not as described.   Which you could simply say was the game as depicted is not the game as it is.

Other peoples opinions don't really matter in this situation... just deal with paypal.   You of course should fully expect any Anet games with that paticular plaync mail... to be banned.   I'm not sure about NCSoft games on the same master account.   If you created this when you pre-purchased GW2 its likely not an issue for you.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Im reading a lot about this, if you live in the US look out for a class action lawsuit that should be filed soon. From what im hearing the person organizing it and the lawer they hired allready have over 300 people and the lawfirm thinks they have a strong case.

source?

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by Nadia

source?

I tried searching for any information and found nothing =/ so would also like a source for this information also.

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by terrant

Originally posted by L0C0Man

If you feel like the game isn't what you were promised/advertising, by all means do anything in your power to get a refund, but to be honest, out of curiosity I'd really like to know what would be the case about it being missleading in the advertising.

Personally I played the beta (granted, only a couple of hours last night) and while it does still show lots of rough edges (it's a beta after all), it did run better on my computer than other MMOs like Rift did, the gameplay was exactly what I was expecting based on the videos I've seen and what I've read, and about the cash shop, while still not convinced with things like the mystic keys (I'd prefer if they are either not there or available in game as well, no idea if that's the case so far), I don't see them being missleading about it. It is based on GW1 model (that it does have a cash shop, not from releast but was there when GW2 was first announced in 2007), I've seen posts discussing about it as far back as 2009, and IIRC they did detail the idea behind it in their blog well before the prepurchase started.

They depicted the animations as though they actually had a unique impact on pve. A smooth flowing system that gave it a realism I hadnt seen before in mmo's. It was a lie.

I expect bugs, stress testing and all that jazz. It's standard for all MMO's.

It is not my job to research the intricate history of a developing product such as an mmo. It is the companys responsbility that when they sell a product they advertise that product as is. Not as they wish it to be.

They left our clear factors about the game and they created false and misleading videos of gameplay footage which I used as the basis of my purchase.

Would you mind defining that first part for me? About animations haivng a unique impact on pve? I'm not sure what you mean there.

Same here.  That makes no sense.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    What part of nonrefundable do people not get?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202

What does this even mean?!?!?!

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    I hate the new entitlement generation. You got EXACTLY what you paid for. Too bad you didn't like it.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

I hate how long and drawn out things like this get. The guy wanted advice on a refund. A: Call Anet or your C.C.

Why anything more then that? I wouldn't give 2 dueces on why he feels that way, nor need to coax him into staying like I want him to take a hit from a joint or he's not cool. Call is your answer.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

[mod edit]

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Not to mention the fact that its a wow clone with zero innovation. It's city of heroes with a Guild Wars skin.

You REALLY c an't be serious if you are comparing this game with WOW or City of Heroes.

How far did you even bothered to inform yourself and how far did you even bothered to play the CLOSED BETA we are in?

I'm a city of heroes/villains veteran that played the game since its first beta (same with GW) and was one of the beta testers in WOW aswell and I can surely tell you that GW2 is nothing like these games.

Similarities are partially there because all mmos have some.

However, the gameplay, story design, crafting among many other things are different and exactly as they were showcased for years now in various gaming conventions and in all player based videos on youtube and other media.

It's ok if you didn't liked the gameplay or anything else but PLEASE don't lie about things that aren't that way.

The game is NOT based on a cash shop and the items in the cash shop are NOT game breaking cause you don't need them to progress in the game, nor can anyone be more powerful with them than you are.

You buy the game and you play and it was advertised correctly the whole time now.

Originally posted by HorrorScope

I hate how long and drawn out things like this get. The guy wanted advice on a refund. A: Call Anet or your C.C.

Why anything more then that? I wouldn't give 2 dueces on why he feels that way, nor need to coax him into staying like I want him to take a hit from a joint or he's not cool. Call is your answer.

Because it hurts the game companies. People are breaking contracts with the company by calling their bank for a refund and end up causing excess costs to the game company.

It's like any other industry. Let's say you order a dish you've never tried at a resturaunt and don't like it, after you eat it should you get a refund, not because it was bad, but just because you didn't like it?

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by Loke666

I purchased GW2 through AreaNet.

After playing the game its quite clear that theyve broke the advertising standards authoritys rules.

Videos depicting game play on the website do not depicte actual gameplay.

They did not mention the game is based on a free to play model with cash shop.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice so that I can get a refund through my bank.

I remeber saying that people always should try a game before they buy it unless they are 100% sure.

The game is not really F2P with cashshop, unless they tart selling items that gives you a considerable advantage to people who is not buying, and nothing we seen so far points to that.

The rest is something you easily could have found out by watching a livestream like Totalbiscuit or Yogcast.

So, no. I don't think you will get your money back and I actually don´t think you deserve it either, you should have checked up the game better or waited until you tried it. 

You can probably sell your account though even if that most likely is against  the Eula.

This image

You know OP, I don't care about headstarts, being super-uber geared in two days, or having explored half of the game before it actually lauched. All I care is having fun, and for that reason I prefer to visit sites like MMORPG or Massively to see what the majority has to say.

Now, if you are ok with paying to beta test (and you actually were... ANet didn't announced a release date!! they can change the whole game if they want), you are also assuming the risk that gameplay/mechanics may be quite different from what you expected.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I purchased GW2 through AreaNet.

After playing the game its quite clear that theyve broke the advertising standards authoritys rules.

Videos depicting game play on the website do not depicte actual gameplay.

They did not mention the game is based on a free to play model with cash shop.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice so that I can get a refund through my bank.

[mod edit]Everything they've shown with the exception of the Asura (I don't think they have shown Sylvarri gameplay yet) is right there in game.

It's a buy to play model, the cash shop is the same as every other MMO with minor service/fluff/convienence items.

I mean... it's not like this is WoW where your paying a monthly fee + buying mounts off of some cash grab cash shop.

My advice is to research the games you're purchasing in the future, it seems you formed an opinion about what the game was going to be and ignored the information from Anet, Here, from fans, reviewers, well... pretty much any and all information. Since the game is what every piece available information said it would be and not what you thought it would be Anet broke "advertising standards authoritys rules" (lol)?      

However I do believe they have broken the advertising standards, they promoted the game with actual gameplay and showed players what would be there rather than making unrealistic promises and giving us a high budget trailer that hyped the game up to be something that it's not.

Everything said to be there seems to be there, everything said not to be there doesn't seem to be there. Good job Anet!

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    I want to sue McDonald's every time I buy a sandwich, it looks nothing like the picture. How do they get away with it?

Originally posted by skeaser

Because it hurts the game companies. People are breaking contracts with the company by calling their bank for a refund and end up causing excess costs to the game company.

It's like any other industry. Let's say you order a dish you've never tried at a resturaunt and don't like it, after you eat it should you get a refund, not because it was bad, but just because you didn't like it?

For the love of anything Holy, take yourself out of THEIR transaction and let them deal with it. "It hurts companies", whatever, it's their transaction. Wow. So many golden rules that are no longer used.... "Mind your own business" rule.

I don't need an analogy either, I understood your point the first time, recent peeve of mine, everyone's doing it nowadays on even simple things to understand. It was supposed to be used on hard to understand things.

Originally posted by wrekognize

I want to sue McDonald's every time I buy a sandwich, it looks nothing like the picture. How do they get away with it?

Off-topic:

If you ever are in Okinawa go to McDonalds, it's amazing, everything is hot, fresh, delicious and looks like the picture. I can't eat American McD's anymore...

Originally posted by skeaser

For the love of anything Holy, take yourself out of THEIR transaction and let them deal with it. "It hurts companies", whatever, it's their transaction. Wow. So many golden rules that are no longer used.... "Mind your own business" rule.

I don't need an analogy either, I understood your point the first time, recent peeve of mine, everyone's doing it nowadays on even simple things to understand. It was supposed to be used on hard to understand things.

It's not their own business once they post it on a public discussion forum.

Goodie for you. Want a cookie? Again, public forum, my post is meant to cater to the lowest denominator. This is MMORPG.com not horrorscopeisthecenteroftheuniverse.com

This discussion has been closed.