Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice about refund

Aroich1Aroich1 Member Posts: 36

I purchased GW2 through AreaNet.

After playing the game its quite clear that theyve broke the advertising standards authoritys rules.

Videos depicting game play on the website do not depicte actual gameplay.

They did not mention the game is based on a free to play model with cash shop.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice so that I can get a refund through my bank.

Comments

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by Aroich1

After playing the game its quite clear that theyve broke the advertising standards authoritys rules.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice so that I can get a refund through my bank.

WHAT?

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

How did they go against advertising standards exactly?

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Good lord...should be telling you to get back under your bridge, but I'll bite.

Having played for hours, I do not see where the gameplay that I have watched for months prior to today is any different from the experience I had as a player. If you would care to provide a detailed explanation of why you think otherwise, I'd love to discuss it with you.

And for the love of god they've been saying they were A) Free to play after inital purchase and B) using a cash shop for..like...years. 

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Chrome1980

WHAT?

assuming you used a credit card, call them up and  dispute the charge. If they want details, say you didn't get what you paid for which is absolutely true.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Im reading a lot about this, if you live in the US look out for a class action lawsuit that should be filed soon. From what im hearing the person organizing it and the lawer they hired allready have over 300 people and the lawfirm thinks they have a strong case.
  • ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

[mod edit]
  • Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

[mod edit]
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Another case of expecting more of an Open Beta.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Originally posted by Dragonantis

its not even an open beta the game is still in closed beta and a good few months from release.

• PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464

The obvious answer would be to take it up with said bank or ArenaNet/NCSoft directly rather than intentionally provoke people on a board.

As to your "problems", both of these have been addressed previously, with the latter being mentioned time and time again.

The skill videos are shot with ArenaNet employees controlling the mobs in order to show off the capabilities of the skill in question. The wide-angled panoramic shots should have given away the fact that they were staged.

"Free to play model with cash shop" has been the way from the get-go, with more detailed announcements of the cash shop being made more recently. It is in no way ArenaNet's fault for your inability to be a responsible or knowledgeable consumer.

• Aroich1Aroich1 Member Posts: 36

I've created an open dispute via paypal based upon two reasons.

Gameplay footage does not depicate actual gameplay.

Game was sold under the pretense that it's based upon GW free to play model.

Instead its based upon a cash shop.

Not to mention the fact that its a wow clone with zero innovation. It's city of heroes with a Guild Wars skin.

Originally posted by PTED

The obvious answer would be to take it up with said bank or ArenaNet/NCSoft directly rather than intentionally provoke people on a board.

As to your "problems", both of these have been addressed previously, with the latter being mentioned time and time again.

The skill videos are shot with ArenaNet employees controlling the mobs in order to show off the capabilities of the skill in question. The wide-angled panoramic shots should have given away the fact that they were staged.

"Free to play model with cash shop" has been the way from the get-go, with more detailed announcements of the cash shop being made more recently. It is in no way ArenaNet's fault for your inability to be a responsible or knowledgeable consumer.

You know what happens when they show these staged gameplay footages on TV?

NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE appears on the video.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

You know what happens when they show these staged gameplay footages on TV?
    NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE appears on the video.

But it was actual gameplay footage.

The ingame engine was used, the only difference is that the creatures being attacked were controlled by humans. They could just as easily replace the creatures with humans and call it PvP footage.

The bottom line is, the videos on the guildwars2 website are clearly marked skill videos and serve that purpose. There are no generic "gameplay" videos on the guildwars2 website, however, they are plastered all over youtube and various gaming media outlets.

If you seriously did not know what the gameplay was like from a visual perspective, then it comes down to you being an irresponsible consumer.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

If you feel like the game isn't what you were promised/advertising, by all means do anything in your power to get a refund, but to be honest, out of curiosity I'd really like to know what would be the case about it being missleading in the advertising.

Personally I played the beta (granted, only a couple of hours last night) and while it does still show lots of rough edges (it's a beta after all), it did run better on my computer than other MMOs like Rift did, the gameplay was exactly what I was expecting based on the videos I've seen and what I've read, and about the cash shop, while still not convinced with things like the mystic keys (I'd prefer if they are either not there or available in game as well, no idea if that's the case so far), I don't see them being missleading about it. It is based on GW1 model (that it does have a cash shop, not from releast but was there when GW2 was first announced in 2007), I've seen posts discussing about it as far back as 2009, and IIRC they did detail the idea behind it in their blog well before the prepurchase started.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i have an advice for you:

don't buy games you don't like. no refund on used stuff! next

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

LOL this is what happens when you buy the game just to get into beta as a try before you buy maneuver. You should now be forced to be stuck with this game as punishment for abusing your cc/paypal/whatever means of electronic payment methods and now wasting their time because you don't want to get burned.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

The videos are actual gameplay they might just show from diffrent angles but its all gameplay (not the cinematics ofcourse but i guess ur smart enough to understand that)

About the cash shop it has been known for a VERY long time and you creating a topic saying you want a refund because you did not know that is quite *retarded*  its known for a long time  and the only things youll find in the cash shop is boosts/cosmetics/char slots.

Now i have also pre purchased the game and till now havent enjoyed any single part of the game but ur topic is just made of stupidity.   Not enjoying something is not a good reason to ask for a refund. I dont buy a hamburger  shit it out in the toilet and then take it back to the place i first bought it saying i did not like it.

If you didnt even known there would be a cash shop you should not pre purchase something you dont know anything about but just wait till theres a free trial available

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Originally posted by Dragonantis

Its not an open beta. closed beta. very closed beta.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Pure brilliance!

Best of luck with your dispute OP - keep us updated...

* Waves at Pushkina *

Originally posted by L0C0Man
    ...and about the cash shop, while still not convinced with things like the mystic keys (I'd prefer if they are either not there or available in game as well, no idea if that's the case so far)...

Not meaning to derail the thread, but just to answer any possible concerns regarding this, you get a mystic key as a reward for your personal story at about level 7~9. Using this key, I unlocked a mystic chest that actually yielded another. This happened 2 more times allowing me to open 4 mystic chests seemingly for free.

A fluke, sure, but hey, it's possible.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by Thane

i have an advice for you:

don't buy games you don't like. no refund on used stuff! next

Actually , this doesn't make sense.

How can it be "used" if there is no retail GW2 ?

And you are incorrect , credit card companies do  , and more often than not , chargeback companies when disputes are filed from customers who feel like a software company did not deliver on the product.

In this case , I''ll wager from major CC companies , if you file a dispute asking for a refund on a product that still hasn't been released , you'll get the charge reversed.

NCSoft not exactly being quick on the draw on answering customer support emails also isnt something that will go in their favor either with CC companies when one of their customers asks for a dispute on the charge.

If you feel like the game isn't what you were promised/advertising, by all means do anything in your power to get a refund, but to be honest, out of curiosity I'd really like to know what would be the case about it being missleading in the advertising.

Personally I played the beta (granted, only a couple of hours last night) and while it does still show lots of rough edges (it's a beta after all), it did run better on my computer than other MMOs like Rift did, the gameplay was exactly what I was expecting based on the videos I've seen and what I've read, and about the cash shop, while still not convinced with things like the mystic keys (I'd prefer if they are either not there or available in game as well, no idea if that's the case so far), I don't see them being missleading about it. It is based on GW1 model (that it does have a cash shop, not from releast but was there when GW2 was first announced in 2007), I've seen posts discussing about it as far back as 2009, and IIRC they did detail the idea behind it in their blog well before the prepurchase started.

They depicted the animations as though they actually had a unique impact on pve. A smooth flowing system that gave it a realism I hadnt seen before in mmo's. It was a lie.

I expect bugs, stress testing and all that jazz. It's standard for all MMO's.

It is not my job to research the intricate history of a developing product such as an mmo. It is the companys responsbility that when they sell a product they advertise that product as is. Not as they wish it to be.

They left out clear factors about the game and they created false and misleading videos of gameplay footage which I used as the basis of my purchase.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

They depicted the animations as though they actually had a unique impact on pve. A smooth flowing system that gave it a realism I hadnt seen before in mmo's. It was a lie.

I expect bugs, stress testing and all that jazz. It's standard for all MMO's.

It is not my job to research the intricate history of a developing product such as an mmo. It is the companys responsbility that when they sell a product they advertise that product as is. Not as they wish it to be.

They left our clear factors about the game and they created false and misleading videos of gameplay footage which I used as the basis of my purchase.

Would you mind defining that first part for me? About animations haivng a unique impact on pve? I'm not sure what you mean there.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I remeber saying that people always should try a game before they buy it unless they are 100% sure.

The game is not really F2P with cashshop, unless they tart selling items that gives you a considerable advantage to people who is not buying, and nothing we seen so far points to that.

The rest is something you easily could have found out by watching a livestream like Totalbiscuit or Yogcast.

So, no. I don't think you will get your money back and I actually don´t think you deserve it either, you should have checked up the game better or waited until you tried it. 

You can probably sell your account though even if that most likely is against  the Eula.

This discussion has been closed.