Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read here before crying about problems in BETA

DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

Taken fron the interwebs because I'm lazy....

"A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release. Beta level software is between 60% and 70% complete, generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety."

Issues are part of the improvement process. As a beta tester you are there to help find bugs and report issues so they can be taken care of. You are a TESTER of an unfinished product, its NOT a free trial.

Yeah sure your pre-purchase allowed you the privelage of getting to participate as a beta tester but that still dosent change a thing. Your a tester of an unfinished product and thats it.

[mod edit] Crashes, login issues when the flood gates are opened and bugs come with the territory, expecially with the volume of people trying to play this game.

[mod edit]

Comments

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Umm..ok.... where is the /report button..there it is ;)

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    It needed to be said XD

Originally posted by Dragonantis

It needed to be said XD

Just like anyone who is unhappy with log in issues are kids, whiners and losers? no sometimes it is better to be quiet than speaking up.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Originally posted by Dragonantis

It needed to be said XD

Just like anyone who is unhappy with log in issues are kids, whiners and losers? no sometimes it is better to be quiet than speaking up.

here here.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I haven't been in the betas, so all I have to go by is the forum posts and such.

I will say this though, most "beta weekends" are not meant for extensive testing of bugs or game systems. They are simply stress tests.

This is why the old preorder and you get into beta thing never compels me. Stress tests are some of the most miserable times to try a game out.

From the sounds of things (again, secod hand info) this one didn't go to smoothy for many testers. That's all fine and dandy as far as a stress test goes and isto be expecte to an extent, but the horror stories on this one are pretty brutal.

I'd say they have a little ways to go for a clean launch. I don't doubt that it's possible by any means.

As far as being able to have a stable stress test goes, many companies have pulled it off before. It is not unreasonable to be disappointed when this goes poorly.

Rift's stress tests went well. SWTOR had a stress test of 2 million people, and it went very smoothly. It is possible. However, Diablo 3 had many problems on theirs even with all of the resources of Blizzard.

People are understandably worried about the game's launch state. I believe this is the first of many weekend stress tests for GW 2, and they will no doubt iron out all the kinks.

People's reactions should provide ANET, with good information outside of the stress test though. It is a small fraction of the frustration that will be felt if the launch isn't smooth. It should serve as a motivator to get it right. If this was launch day they would be in deep poop.

They'll get it figured out, but again people are u dersrandably concerned. Those fears will subside if the game performance improves significantly in future stress tests. The ball is in the devs court now.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

There is a difference between being unhappy and understand valid reasons for your unfortunate state and being unhappy and ignore valid reasons for your unfortunate state.

The ignorance then rightfully classify you as a whiner or kid as that is how maturity is measured.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Players dissastisfied have ABSOLUTELY every right to express their concerns in a well-fashioned, intelligent manner.

That said, I don't know which is more idiotic: People saying "I had lag in beta so this game is gonna be broke FOREVERZZZZ I hate you!"; or the ones saying "You shouldn't give any negative feedback in a beta because it's a beta, and that's not the place for feedback"

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

if a beta is 60-70% complete when is it getting 100% complete ? If we assume 100% is the released product and not the product the game could become 5 years down the road the quote make no sense.

The Beta goes from whatever stage it was in alpha all the way to the released product. So the closer you get to the release the closer you are to 100%.  The mass numbers they let in the beta would suggest that the game is mostly finished, you dont need 500k people to test basics. 

Originally posted by Gdemami

There is a difference between being unhappy and understand valid reasons for your unfortunate state and being unhappy and ignore valid reasons for your unfortunate state.

The ignorance then rightfully classify you as a whiner or kid as that is how maturity is measured.

The ignorance is to label anyone a kid and whiner if they are unhappy and to assume that they are doing so without understanding the valid reason. No amount of reasonable complaining will make you flame proof on these forums. i can link a topic for you to prove it if you like?

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Originally posted by Deathenger

"A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release. Beta level software is between 60% and 70% complete, generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety."

Issues are part of the improvement process. As a beta tester you are there to help find bugs and report issues so they can be taken care of. You are a TESTER of an unfinished product, its NOT a free trial.

Yeah sure your pre-purchase allowed you the privelage of getting to participate as a beta tester but that still dosent change a thing. Your a tester of an unfinished product and thats it.

So save the rage a tears for your momma or stay away from betas. Crashes, login issues when the flood gates are opened and bugs come with the territory, expecially with the volume of people trying to play this game.

That is what a real beta is. The vast majority of so called 'betas' have been nothing more than a marketing tool to generate sales. This GW2 beta is not a real beta by any stretch of the imagination, even some rampant fanboi's agree on that. What you see today is the finished product for the most part, a few small changes here and there will make it through sure, but if your thinking any major changes or optimisations are going to take place you are a fool that just got duped by Anets marketing/pr team, sorry.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

I haven't been in the betas, so all I have to go by is the forum posts and such.

I will say this though, most "beta weekends" are not meant for extensive testing of bugs or game systems. They are simply stress tests.

I dissagree 100%. Towards the end of the series of Beta Weekends they wil make it open to the public {Like they have with Guild Wars} for the Sress test. This is a Beta Weekend NOT a stress test. It was posted nowhere it was a stress test.

Originally posted by Giddian

I dissagree 100%. Towards the end of the series of Beta Weekends they wil make it open to the public {Like they have with Guild Wars} for the Sress test. This is a Beta Weekend NOT a stress test. It was posted nowhere it was a stress test.

And yet fans will insult you and flame you if you say it isn't a stress test.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I am not in the GW2 beta but the same cry babies flooded the D3 forums during the D3 beta weekend - they simply don't know what a Beta is designed to do.
  • ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

are you the official rah rah boy for this game? 

Originally posted by Chrome1980The ignorance is to label anyone a kid and whiner if they are unhappy and to assume that they are doing so without understanding the valid reason.

That is not what I said nor it relates to topic.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Does it matter whether it is or isn't? It's a beta. It has problems. We play the game, we report the problem. Anet (hopefully) fixes the problems.

Exactly WHAT kind of beta event it is; whether it's stress testing, early beta bug testing, or just showing off a finished product to people, does not affect the above statement. We come in, we play, we report, they fix.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Originally posted by terrant

Players dissastisfied have ABSOLUTELY every right to express their concerns in a well-fashioned, intelligent manner.

That said, I don't know which is more idiotic: People saying "I had lag in beta so this game is gonna be broke FOREVERZZZZ I hate you!"; or the ones saying "You shouldn't give any negative feedback in a beta because it's a beta, and that's not the place for feedback"

Well as we have seen today, the majority of the posts have been in the "People saying "I had lag in beta so this game is gonna be broke FOREVERZZZZ I hate you!";" catagory.

I think F2P's are partly to blame for this, they go into Open Beta and then an announcement about 2 weeks later saying the games live now live, without the game ever having been down for more than a couple of hours and with a small patch. I think players are to used to this trend that they expect more of an Open Beta than they should do.

Originally posted by Gdemami

The ignorance is to label anyone a kid and whiner if they are unhappy and to assume that they are doing so without understanding the valid reason.

That is not what I said nor it relates to topic.

No you were just trying to be pedantic even though a little bit of posting on these forums would show you that no reasonable amount of complaining would help you save from fans fury. Thing is people don't like to hear negative things about their favorite games no matter how maturily you conduct yourself.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    lol, this is the norm now in MMO's. 99% of participants treat betas (happens in closed & open betas btw) as a free trial / demo. As a result the whinging is epic & the devs get no discernible increase in bug reports.....
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i have played it a little bit and haven't personally experienced any crashes or terrible lag.

i have not played a lot but so far its been alright.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by karmath

Originally posted by Deathenger

So save the rage a tears for your momma or stay away from betas. Crashes, login issues when the flood gates are opened and bugs come with the territory, expecially with the volume of people trying to play this game.

That is what a real beta is. The vast majority of so called 'betas' have been nothing more than a marketing tool to generate sales. This GW2 beta is not a real beta by any stretch of the imagination, even some rampant fanboi's agree on that. What you see today is the finished product for the most part, a few small changes here and there will make it through sure, but if your thinking any major changes or optimisations are going to take place you are a fool that just got duped by Anets marketing/pr team, sorry.

Agree, that description more accurately describes the closed beta phase of most MMO's, as another said this round is more like a stress test and you would expect the code to be 90-100% complete at this point.

And as noted, stress testing can suck, so perhaps when people pre-order and get 'accepted' into these events a more cautionary note should be displayed on the log-ijn screen that they are participating in active testing environment and they should expect some inconsistencies in performance.

Tera just went through it in the past month, couple of stress related failures but they worked through them and everything turned out fine, that's the whole purpose of these cycles.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bakon2bakon2 Member UncommonPosts: 129
    what???!!! I can't play all four races....ah crap.  this sucks.  I am out too...who wants my stuff? <sarcasm off> But seriously, who whats my stuff?

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Yeah thats great and all... but your forgotting one very important thing, most of the bad reviews about beta so far have been about the graphics, bad art style, same quests and movement/ gameplay bulkiness. You cant change anyone of those things once its hit beta, why? Because its to late, to have a full game revamp. It doesnt bring anything new to the table, like promised and overall does not appear to be that good...

Originally posted by Chrome1980No you were just trying to be pedantic even though a little bit of posting on these forums would show you that no reasonable amount of complaining would help you save from fans fury. Thing is people don't like to hear negative things about their favorite games no matter how maturily you conduct yourself.

I am not being pedantic, I pointed out clear distinction in opposition to your implication that everyone is labeled regardless.

Complaining about beta issues indeed represents ignorance of valid reasons for the issues thus making such attitude immature.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

Originally posted by terrant

Does it matter whether it is or isn't? It's a beta. It has problems. We play the game, we report the problem. Anet (hopefully) fixes the problems.

Exactly WHAT kind of beta event it is; whether it's stress testing, early beta bug testing, or just showing off a finished product to people, does not affect the above statement. We come in, we play, we report, they fix.

Stress Test basicly, the game is Finished and testing the servers, This is a Beta, Fixing bugs and Problems with the game. 2 Different monsters all together

This discussion has been closed.