Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buy or is it time to turn the damn hypemeter down on this one?

DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Hi guys. I am a fatasy role player dude from AoC. Playing it having fun with it and needless to say I have the hardware and balls to run AoC in all it's glory. However, I do love the medieval fantasy setting and was wondering if I should get another game to play on the side (I am also contemplating on TSW, but that is not fantasy). GW2 would therefore seem like a natural game to at least test for me. Now however I read a lot of bad stuff about it. That the game is like early alpha stage, terribly laggy and performancewise horrid. It took AoC a looong time before they got such problems under control so this makes me skeptical. Also yesterday I was over with a friend looking at the game. There was a few disconnects, but he could play it (with lag). But what was his gripe was that he did not like the clunkyness of the animations and the world graphics sort of. There was definitely something really weird going on with the shaddows (there were no depth to to the world). If I compared it's graphics to AoC, GW2 definitely fails in that respect. Perhaps it's unfair to compare the game to AoC which is graphicswise the most beutiful game, but I sort of expected more since it is 2012 and all.

So GW2 experts what is going on? Is this something you think they will get under control by the time they launch (is it end 2012?), or is this something that perhapsed is hyped way to hard (8.76 on the front page mind you, which is insanely high for a game that seemingly has some issues).

The Ultimate Breakdown

Comments

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Well, different people are reporting different things.

I have a preety bad pc and i didn't have any of the issues (except the all login disgrace) that people are reporting.

Overall i think you should check the stickies and see if the game features things you like.

You shouldn't expect this forum to give you a proper impression of any game and even if someone tells you he loves the game it doesn't mean you'll even like it and even if the trolls give you a bad impression you might love the game if you try it.

Just research and decide based on your personal taste.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    wait for TSW or buy GW2 then switch to TSW or something else as burnout sinks in...
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Apart the FPS issues and login problems

The game is worth it ;)

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Id say wait at least a month.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Guild Wars 2, mmmmmmmm saliva saliva SALIVATE

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    It's only the company involved and the more rabid ones who don't think the hype meter should be turned down.

• Originally posted by Rivalen

Well, different people are reporting different things.

I have a preety bad pc and i didn't have any of the issues (except the all login disgrace) that people are reporting.

Overall i think you should check the stickies and see if the game features things you like.

You shouldn't expect this forum to give you a proper impression of any game and even if someone tells you he loves the game it doesn't mean you'll even like it and even if the trolls give you a bad impression you might love the game if you try it.

Just research and decide based on your personal taste.

I disagree in part. Some posters have earnt my trust on this forum and their insights and honesty are typically far more reliable than reviews (especially the reviews on the site). If you get to know the forum and its users, its extremely useful.

For example, I'm a bit of a Trekkie and was going to pre-order STO after reading the mmorpg.com preview, but luckily I flicked over to the forums for a bit before doing so (and yes I did eventually get to try the game for free and loathed it).

I've tried several MMOs too which I really enjoyed (at least for a time) such as Fallen Earth and Rift.

So, if you are patient and discerning, and you get to know which posters are just idiots and which have similar tastes to your own, then you really can expect the forum to give you a proper impression.

For sure, I am following these boards in the lead up to GW2 release to see how the game is turning out and ultimately if I will buy it (and when).

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

My opinion: if you ain't totally hyped up and start to drool in bliss as soon as you hear "gw2", wait a bit. Whether you play it on the first week or the second: what does it matter? The game is supposed to run for many years, you have time. Wait a week, or two, or a month, read the reviews, play the free trial as soon as it up. Might save you money you can spend for other stuff. And if you enjoy it, then you can still play it. :)

I just came to the conclusion that preordering game never really worked well for me. There is no neutral information. The developers exaggerate everything, as do the fans and most "reviews", while the haters see everything negative. Wait for the free trial.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    After another 6 hours I don't regren even 1$ I spend on this game. Crappy fps and lag aside the game is incredibly entertaining.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by RefMinor

It's only the company involved and the more rabid ones who don't think the hype meter should be turned down.

Rubbish.

Look at my post history, I am not exactly 'rabid', even though I am a GW1 fan.

Beta technical issues aside the game is great imo. Loving the world and the play systems. This is what I will base any scoring of on for the moment, and on that it is still scores high.

I won't score a game on technical delivery until beta is over, or at least until the end of that beta is in sight. We could easily have another 6 months in beta state yet for the title, which is more then enough to optimise and stabilise the infrstructure.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

After playing an early version of ArcheAge, all these new MMOs seem pointless and boring.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

The low level PvE doesn't seem much different than any other mmo TBH. You doing a series of quests masked by a "dynamic event". Kill x amount of this or collect x amount of that.

WvWvW for the most part is PvG. You spend 10+ minutes beating on a gate.  Then kill a couple of mobs inside the keep.

You have a very limited number of skills you can use at once. You have to swtich weapon sets to get more skills.

Lack of inventory space is a pain. They have a billion different items and you are constanly looking for space. Probably the worst out of any mmo I've played recently.

I also see the cash shop having items to boost xp, reduce damage, increase damage etc. I'm farily confident that the cash shop for GW2 will be quite extensive.

It's not a bad game but it does have it's shortcomings.

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Yeah I have to say I do not regret pre-purchasing at all.  I have more stuff to do in the first 5 levels of GW2 than I did for the first 30 levels in SWTOR.   It is relaxing and very entertaining,  I think I will enjoy this one for a long time to come.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Aside from the absolutely appalling state of log in and the really bad lag I was getting last night, all technical issues that can and should be resolved well before release, I can honestly say I'm not feeling at all let down from what I've seen and experienced so far. Had a good few hours lag free playing this morning and loved it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Aside from the absolutely appalling state of log in and the really bad lag I was getting last night, all technical issues that can and should be resolved well before release, I can honestly say I'm not feeling at all let down from what I've seen and experienced so far. Had a good few hours lag free playing this morning and loved it.

Dito.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

I know its beta, I know there were a lot of people in starting areas yesterday.  It has gotten better, but performance and engine optimization needs to be better.  I know they said its not optimized, but why the hell release a beta with it not?  Honestly, I found myself cussing at the screen more in this beta than SWTOR. 

Not to mention, removing the sidekicking up system.  People will say "why level, whats the point? Now you can skip levels noob".  I wouldnt skip levels.  But I purchased this game on the notion that it was an explorers paradise, go out, explore, stumble on areas whatever level, and just have fun.  With or without friends.  I cannot just go out and explore now.  I am gated in every zone much like any other MMO until I out level it. 

OTher than the dynamic quests, which are very good, there isnt anything unique about this game, and even though its beta 1, at the CURRENT moment, I regret purchasing it.  I will give it a few more hours until Tera head start begins, and I'll play future BWE.  But this just dropped my hype level from 110% to about 60.

And, unlike other Betas Ive played, this has a lot of bugs.  Ive notced more bugs in GW2 beta than SWTOR< and thats saying something.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Atlan99

The low level PvE doesn't seem much different than any other mmo TBH. You doing a series of quests masked by a "dynamic event". Kill x amount of this or collect x amount of that.

WvWvW for the most part is PvG. You spend 10+ minutes beating on a gate.  Then kill a couple of mobs inside the keep.

You have a very limited number of skills you can use at once. You have to swtich weapon sets to get more skills.

Lack of inventory space is a pain. They have a billion different items and you are constanly looking for space. Probably the worst out of any mmo I've played recently.

I also see the cash shop having items to boost xp, reduce damage, increase damage etc. I'm farily confident that the cash shop for GW2 will be quite extensive.

It's not a bad game but it does have it's shortcomings.

To me it felt rather different, for once didn't I feel forced to do boring quests just to clear out the qlog. If I didn't liked something I just passed it.I also liked that most events had several stuff you could do including non combat stuff.

On the bad side gold medals are far too easy to get, I ran into several almost cleared events and still got gold for them, that doesn't seem fair.

As for lack of inventory bags I never felt that as a problem, I rarely filled half of my bags but I vendortrashed everything that didn't felt useful right now, I might do that less when I play for real. Still, as an old MMO fox I are used to having less space and more junk so no biggie for me. The trick otherwise is to salvage everything and put the components in tyhe bank.

If it is a big matter to you when the game goes live I suggest you buy some bags from the cashshop, that type of stuff is perfect for a cashshop, don't  affect any balance but might make things easier for some players.

As for the number of skills, I am a GW1 player, 'nuff said.

The cash shop is a thing that might mess up things though, but for me it is so far so good once they fixed the login server yesterday and I got rid of the lag I had around midnight.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by Loke666

To me it felt rather different, for once didn't I feel forced to do boring quests just to clear out the qlog. If I didn't liked something I just passed it.I also liked that most events had several stuff you could do including non combat stuff.

This was the biggest plust for me when it comes to dynami events. i never felt punished for just runing and exploring. I didn;t feel like.. ok I finished this quest line so I have to move there, then there.. etc. I really felt freee in this game when it comes to pve and it was kind of awesome.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Turn down the meter and wait a couple of weeks after release. Once the poor box sales forced the price to go down then it's time to buy this one. That's what I plan to do. This game is not worth the asking price. I've seen the videos, I've watched all the hyped up people act as though this were the 2nd coming and I am not impressed. I want to play the game but I can wait. Wait for the price to drop and wait for the problems to be sorted out before throwing any change at this one.
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Turn it up, and raise the bar for entry... I mean the price.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by cesmode8

...but performance and engine optimization needs to be better.  I know they said its not optimized, but why the hell release a beta with it not? 

/facepalm

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

Allways turn down the Hypemeter {And HATEMeter} Everything is opionated. If you liked Guild wars, you should like Guild Wars 2.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Originally posted by Vesavius

...but performance and engine optimization needs to be better.  I know they said its not optimized, but why the hell release a beta with it not? 

/facepalm

Something wrong with your face?  Ive participated in betas for a half dozen games, this one's performance is the worst.  Its a poor guage to measure how your computer will hold up against the game if it isnt tuned properly.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by Vesavius

/facepalm

/double facepalm

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

I am not having any important performance issues, but to be honest I am not enjoying the game very much.

Maybe I need to play it more time, explore other areas, but at this point the only reason I don't regret the pre-purchase is because the game is b2p and will probably be a good option to play every now and then, whenever I feel burned out from other titles.