Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera is the next big thing

Comments

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Originally posted by Andurin

This game is good enough and offers enough of a change from standard MMO combat that it will have long term success. 

^This.

To the OP's point, I don't know if it is "the next big thing" though. I am not sure it appeals to the masses enough to be considered that. But TERA is here to stay.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

"Dragon? We're up against a goram ship!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VUpDv8758g

Just not worth my time anymore.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

If you want action combat, play Warrior.  

-Normal attacks move you faster than your combat run, speed, allowing you to easily encircle slower enemies and attack while moving to their flank.  

-Rising Fury is an attack dodge that moves you a significant distance in one direction for the first hit, while allowing you to switch directions for the 2nd hit.   This skill could be used to dodge a lot of attacks and is also great for flanking enemies with.  

-Rain of Blows an be cancelled into Evade at any point during the animation.   It also moves you quite a bit so if you aim to the side of a large enemy, you can flank them while doing full hits.    It's also one of your core skills so it's great that it has such nice properties.

-Combative Strike speeds up rain of blow animation by 50%.   You can also use this as an attack dodge, but because of the narrow hitbox, you won't be able to hit with it while using it as a dodge.

-Blade draw, finisher move that moves you a bit while allowing you to change direction, another good move for repositioning yourself while attacking to get to the back side.   Not as good of an attack dodge move because of it's short traversal distance, but having these properties on a finisher is pretty good by itself.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Originally posted by LordRelic

I have seen so many people complain about quests its starting to annoy me. Name me a single game that every quest is differant from the  " Kill x Mobs,  Collect X items,  Talk to X, give x this item, etc..etc "  Name just 1.. people Praise GW2 but in the end of everything all GW2 system is  same old same old they just made most of them public quests insead of personal.  But the quests are still kill, collect, give and protect.. You Will never find anything differant then this because there isnot much more to be done. i Mean give me an exsample of what your idea of a quest should be? 

Tera is a great game for what it is. Will i play it for years.. No i wont,  will i get 100's of hours out of it Maybe is that worth 75 dollars..  yea it is seeing how i spend 60 on a single player game and get what 10-15 hours.  I have never found a game fun for years of playing and i never will.  But for what it is it is good.

Is tera for everybody No its not,  NO game is and will never be.. Does that mean its bad No it does not. and if you think it does then your just ignorent.

Your missing the point.  At the base all games have a progression/quest system.  So its not about a game that does not have it. Its about the other aspects of the game that make you WANT to quest in that particular game. Art. Aesthetics. Lore. etc. For me, its how well does the game immerse me in the PvE world.  In my opinion TERA ended up feeling like TOR.  I run through a 'corridor' of quest givers slowly making progress. While this in and of itself can be fun, it looses its appeal when you have done it (in a similiar manner) countless times prior.

Funny that you mention GW2.  The praise is coming from the fact that ArenaNET is CHANGING how progression is handled.  Events happen not by talking to an NPC (the boring aspect) but by being in a particular place at a particular time. Yes, perhaps the same event repeats on some sort of timer but the fact I have dont have to talk to a NPC to start is new.

At the very least it will be different (independent if I end up liking it or not).  That adds a sense of excitement that isnt present in today's MMOs and has been a frequent topic here on the forums.

Im not saying TERA is a bad game.  People are going to like it probably as much as people are going to hate GW2. Its a personal decision.  Im thankful there is choice.

What I am saying, and others seem to agree with me, is that the mechanic employed by TERA detracts from its entertainment value where GW2 mechanic is built from the ground up to be 'entertaining' or fun - however you as the player define it. 

To revert the question, tell me one MMO that plans to deliver what GW2 will?

You will be hard pressed to answer I imagine.  But I could name several titles similiar in 'progression' as TERA.

Get it?

Yea i can see what your saying but in the end How is this more Immersive?  I have seen quests in videos that you run into mobs your kill them then you get rewared from compleating the ques by clicking on a medal that shows up, Im sorry but i would rather talk to an npc atleast that way i feel like the world is alive somewhat instead of like my rewards come from my butt.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by LordRelic

Yea i can see what your saying but in the end How is this more Immersive?  I have seen quests in videos that you run into mobs your kill them then you get rewared from compleating the ques by clicking on a medal that shows up, Im sorry but i would rather talk to an npc atleast that way i feel like the world is alive somewhat instead of like my rewards come from my butt.

Bow chick bow wow... ok sorry had to do it o.-

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    I agree op TERA is AWESOME! lol and yeah it is fairly under hyped, but it is an exceptional game, and best out atm, cannot wait to play the head start in a few hours. Also not being able to move while using some abiltites, is deffienetely needed to balance out gameplay, pvp etc... otherwise there would be some rediculously over powered classes, so yeah its a + and deffinitely needed. But yeah TERA FTW! and enjoy.
  • kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Deddpool

Tried it..3 times.  Tried to like it ..really did.  Its pretty to be sure..but not being able to move while attacking/casting is a deal breaker for me.  It will find its niche and I hope its successful but truly revolutionary it is not.

stick to your tab overated target then we simply dont care

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

This is about the 10th thread I've seen with the exact same title.

The awnser is no, it wont be.

It has good combat yes, but the rest is the same old crap.

/threads

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

Originally posted by karmath

This is about the 10th thread I've seen with the exact same title.

The awnser is no, it wont be.

It has good combat yes, but the rest is the same old crap.

/threads

really? just really? most of the game hasnt even been released to the western market, so how exactly would you have any clue at all, thats its the same stuff, and having played the first 32 levels, i can safely say it isnt at all like alot of other games out there, and tera is an exceptional game, regardless of what you say, so stay out of tera forums, and go play wow mister "uniqueness".

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    No TERA is not the next big thing. I dont think we will ever see a next big thing again really. TERA is the best mmo of 2012 though.
  • sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102

Originally posted by Mannish

No TERA is not the next big thing. I dont think we will ever see a next big thing again really. TERA is the best mmo of 2012 though.

Have to agree, it's the best MMO of 2012. Even though it's not my favorite.

Originally posted by sleepr27

Well we have to wait for TSW beta to see if it flops as hard as GW2 did.

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Forgot all about TSW. I dont think it will flop nearly as hard as GW2. image

• Rehab13Rehab13 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    22 Mins!
  • kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Xerenix

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Originally posted by Deddpool

Tried it..3 times.  Tried to like it ..really did.  Its pretty to be sure..but not being able to move while attacking/casting is a deal breaker for me.  It will find its niche and I hope its successful but truly revolutionary it is not.

Agree. Was in 3 CBTs.  I did notice on the last one they added a prologue story which was fun, but I couldnt get over starting at the starter island for the 3rd time doing the exact same missions.  I recommended they had different starting areas for different races to add some replayability but probably didnt fit within thier design.

The aging "go-to-NPC-to-get-quest-to-start-event" mechanic was exposed to me before level 12 and broke immersion.

There's nothing like playing a game you love, and wish TERA well as its a unique experience.  Just not for me.

Agree with both.

I've tried the beta so many times and couldn't get my interest up.

I personally found the game underwhelming. I think a lot had to do with the story/lore - I just didn't care. The action combat part was cool, but DCUO did that better in my opinion. The dodge mechanic didn't add much to the game for me. I wanted to like the game more than I did, but oh well. 

20 min!
  • rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Forgot all about TSW. I dont think it will flop nearly as hard as GW2. image

Oh ye of lil faith of Failcom.All you have to do is look at there track record and history and know TSW is gonna be fail regardless it will be like all there other mmogs full of some cool features and alot of hyped up broken promises that never see the light of day or by the time they do get in the game not many are left playing that actually care.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Its a combat action game where you can't move in combat? Some people have really low standards for action...
  • KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by Golelorn

Its a combat action game where you can't move in combat? Some people have really low standards for action...

Nope some people just played action games and know how they work... alas not everyone.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Originally posted by Kehdar

Sorc is one of the most stanary class beside lancer ( but lancer block is epic) Does get better as you hit higher lvl and speicall in pvp you won't be standing skill much. Also sorc kinda sucks itll 48+ because they get a skill at 48 when glyphed increase you attack speed by 70%, by attack speed i mean skill animation. Cast time is still the same but skill animation are extremely fast.

Tsk do not spread lies, sorc are not stationary at all.

Try to solo a BAM with a sorcerer than you can come back and tell me how you stand still all the time.

Yeah I play a sorc and I was really surprised at how much I moved compared to any other mage-type in any other MMO.

Most mages in other games stand in one spot to do all their damage.  You can't do that in this game.

Originally posted by Golelorn

Never played a action combat game i guess? and wtf is combat action game...

• ThadiunThadiun Member Posts: 8
    I can't say that Tera will be the next big thing, but I think it does have the potienal to increase its subs in the future.  
  • Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Any buddy code available?  Would like to give the game a try.  PM me if so, please.
  • ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

Originally posted by Slayerbd

I played in the Open Beta of Tera and leveled a Slayer up to 32. The graphics are amazing, the combat intense and fun. I don't think I can ever play a target and autoattack game ever again. With Tera, you aim your attacks, do evasive rolls to dodge devastating blows, block attacks, and perform combinations to slay your foes. This is a new age MMO, and the developers have really brought the full package to our doorsteps. I've played all the main fantasy MMOs out, most to the maximum levels with tons of alts, and I can tell you, this game is going to crush them all. I believe this game is underhyped and not nearly enough people are taking this game seriously because of guild wars 2. But let me tell you, this game is phenominal and I will be playing it again this Saturday! Awesome game. Check it out, try it out.

Seeing that it bombed in Korea and in Japan, I do not think Tera deserves to be called the next big thing.

The type of combat has been done before with vindicus and dragons nest. prob a few other games have done it also.

Also the title has been used so much it just makes things worse for tera.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by lzanon

Seeing that it bombed in Korea and in Japan,

Feel free to check one of the thousands of theads disputing the above claim.  It wasn't a hit out of the gate because it lacked content.  That is no longer the case.