Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera starting to get some respect!

1235»

Comments

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Originally posted by Ganathar

Hopping in this game actually gives a penalty, as it increases your chance to get knocked down. The only viable "hopping" is done via some abilities that have a jumping animation. For example a Castanic warrior's dodge ability.

So you expect people to stand in one spot and let you hit them while their evade/dodge is on cooldown?

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by //\//\oo

Hopping in this game actually gives a penalty, as it increases your chance to get knocked down. The only viable "hopping" is done via some abilities that have a jumping animation. For example a Castanic warrior's dodge ability.

So you expect people to stand in one spot and let you hit them while their evade/dodge is on cooldown?

Nope, but you don't have to hop if you want to get out of the way. You can run out of the way, hopping is not faster than running in this game.

Nope, but you don't have to hop if you want to get out of the way. You can run out of the way, hopping is not faster than running in this game.

Yes, but the point of jumping is to provide a fast change in a certain direction, since attacks in this game are aimed i.e. they are bound by some area/volume.

When leveling my warrior I could jump away from attacks and have them miss by a hairs breadth with medium (200+) latency. I imagine that at lower latencies it would be even more effective.

In this game you will absolutely have to circle strafe, since it is even more valuable than it was in WoW with the directional AND aiming requirements.

People who sucked at WoW PvP will fail miserably at TERA.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Yes, but the point of jumping is to provide a fast change in a certain direction, since attacks in this game are aimed i.e. they are bound by some area/volume.

When leveling my warrior I could jump away from attacks and have them miss by a hairs breadth with medium (200+) latency. I imagine that at lower latencies it would be even more effective.

In this game you will absolutely have to circle strafe, since it is even more valuable than it was in WoW with the directional AND aiming requirements.

I will try jumping when I make a warrior alt in the headstart and see if this is true, because I was not aware that jumping affected the speed of changing to another direction.

I will try jumping when I make a warrior alt in the headstart and see if this is true, because I was not aware that jumping affected the speed of change in direction.

... It's a jump. It's by definition a fast change in space over time. You're right in the sense that it isn't something that is to be spammed, because the average of jumps is slow, but the instant change in space is what you sometimes need to evade attacks when your dodge/teleport is on cooldown.

It's definitely part of the reason why I love TERAs combat; your jumps, movement and timing MATTER. People who couldn't cope with bunnyhoppers due to a lack of coordination/skill will find the same frustration in TERA, since it's just as intense, if not more so, since you have to plan more due to rooting animations.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    @Zylaxx

You might want to watch those NW combat vids again. Nowhere in those videos did I see normal swings on the run or instant abilities other than the "port behind" rogue move and even that seemed to have an animation stutter step. I was concerned about NW being competition but DDO should be more worried than TERA. I'll have to see for myself as I an a DnD fan :).

On topic it's nice to see TERA get some attention. With MMOs these days there are so many a person over the course of six months is bound to try it out. All that BHS & Pubs need to do is continue to put our subs to good use. The player base will grow.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

Originally posted by Kehdar

Originally posted by superpata

Hey Kehdar I do not know if you are aware of this but in the options look for lighting enrichment and set it to 1 to get rid of the AA from U3. You will still be able to maintain the bloom and so on but it gets rid of the AA.

Yup i know, but in that case i'll have jagged edges and i hate them more than the blur :p

Originally posted by Laross

Its a model that i just completed and ported over to UDK.

Nice model :) Are these rendering or screenshot from the engine?

yup straight from engine.  I just hit the print screen to get some quick shots.  The hardest part of the model was getting the shader which was just insane. 

• Derza10Derza10 Member Posts: 70

Jumping while in combat in this game is just not smart to do anyway you look at it. you have a 100% chance of being knocked down if you are in the middle of a jump and get hit. You do no "move" faster by jumping in any form. Your character dosn't have some sort of different acceleration or change of direction difference vs running and jumping.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

@Zylaxx

You might want to watch those NW combat vids again. Nowhere in those videos did I see normal swings on the run or instant abilities other than the "port behind" rogue move and even that seemed to have an animation stutter step. I was concerned about NW being competition but DDO should be more worried than TERA. I'll have to see for myself as I an a DnD fan :).

On topic it's nice to see TERA get some attention. With MMOs these days there are so many a person over the course of six months is bound to try it out. All that BHS & Pubs need to do is continue to put our subs to good use. The player base will grow.

Nope asked in the Q & A last week on Twitter, the Devs stated there is no self rooting on ability use, their exact words.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Jumping is stupid, you gotten lucky of just getting away, but if you got hit even once while in air your knocked down. One of the stupidst thing you can do is jump because people will take that chance to hit you before you land.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    @Zylaxx

I'm more concerned with what I see with my eyes than what I read on Q&As. You can see it clearly in the videos so they might have another definition of "self rooting". Either way NW production wise is in direct competition with DDO not TERA and since this is the TERA forums I'll drop the subject after this.

I'm honesty too excited for tomorrow morning to care :)

Just not worth my time anymore.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Why is every Thread that has something positive about Tera fluded with GW 2 fanboys? Same happend at SWTOR launch. GW 2 isnt the new messiah of mmorpgs u guys screamed for months and neither looks and feels the combat in GW 2 better then in TERA. After playiing the GW 2 beta on my roommates acc im pretty sure i dont enjoy GW 2 combat. TERA s combat is far superior for me.
  • ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Otomox

Why is every Thread that has something positive about Tera fluded with GW 2 fanboys? Same happend at SWTOR launch. GW 2 isnt the new messiah of mmorpgs u guys screamed for months and neither looks and feels the combat in GW 2 better then in TERA. After playiing the GW 2 beta on my roommates acc im pretty sure i dont enjoy GW 2 combat. TERA s combat is far superior for me.

who cares, we get to play a great game tomorrow, all that matters.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Well after 2/3 hours in the GW2 CB just now I agree with PA's tweet. I've bought both , will play both , and am not going to judge GW2 after one beta experience overall , but...

I do know they had better tweak the  hell out of the engine , as after TERA's speed of combat abilities firing off and no graphical lag at all even in mass PVP fights , I had immediate nightmare flashbacks of the crap engine of SWTOR (I know its not the same ) in GW2 the past few hours. I felt like things were slow motion compared to TERA.

I've seen TERA prove you can have lots of player on screen , in a battle , with zero slowdown , the tweaked U3 engine is amazing for it. GW2 feels the opposite atm , and the main thing I want to play GW2 for is the WvWvW battles with hundreds fighting.

I'll likely play maybe another hour tonight or two , but it has solved any issue of taking any time away from TERA for GW2 this weekend , as there is zero point in it.

I'll log in the next beta , and the next etc , but GW2 has to prove it can ramp server performance and the actual engine responsiveness much , much more than current. And possibly they can , as am/was looking forward to both.

Just right now , at this moment , TERA > GW2 for fun in every aspect , so why would I waste any time playing the less fun game.

I'm just hoping GW2 catches up in fun as I really want to play both.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by Dahkot72

Well after 2/3 hours in the GW2 CB just now I agree with PA's tweet. I've bought both , will play both , and am not going to judge GW2 after one beta experience overall , but...

I do know they had better tweak the  hell out of the engine , as after TERA's speed of combat abilities firing off and no graphical lag at all even in mass PVP fights , I had immediate nightmare flashbacks of the crap engine of SWTOR (I know its not the same ) in GW2 the past few hours. I felt like things were slow motion compared to TERA.

I've seen TERA prove you can have lots of player on screen , in a battle , with zero slowdown , the tweaked U3 engine is amazing for it. GW2 feels the opposite atm , and the main thing I want to play GW2 for is the WvWvW battles with hundreds fighting.

I'll likely play maybe another hour tonight or two , but it has solved any issue of taking any time away from TERA for GW2 this weekend , as there is zero point in it.

I'll log in the next beta , and the next etc , but GW2 has to prove it can ramp server performance and the actual engine responsiveness much , much more than current. And possibly they can , as am/was looking forward to both.

Just right now , at this moment , TERA > GW2 for fun in every aspect , so why would I waste any time playing the less fun game.

Love this post.  I decided not to pre-purchase GW2 because I was impressed enough with what I'd seen from TERA, and after watching the streaming videos of GW2 and reading feedback from many people, I'm glad I didn't.  I'll be keeping an eye on it, and will most likely purchase it after launchto use as my second game after TERA, but as of right now, it seems I made the correct choice.  

I will also add, in GW2's defense, that it's a little unfair to compare a game in it's first beta event to a game that's been out for a year and a half, but...GW2 fans have been crowing about how that game is the Second Coming for so long, that they kind of deserve a little egg on the face for their vanity.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Oh I completely agree RS on not judging it currently for finality judgement. I was more saying , in current beta form , there's zero reason for me to spend one minute playing it once TERA launches until possibly the next beta. And all I will be looking for then is a massive improvement in engine/server performance , and if its not there , I'll log out and try again the next etc.

As long as upon retail launch , I can login , have abilities fire off quickly , smooth combat , and no graphical lag even with 100 folks around I'll be happy and enjoy mixing it in with TERA.

But currently , TERA can do all those things and GW2 cannot , not even close , again if you've played TERA for any length of time and then play GW2 in current form , you'll think you are in quicksand. I just hope that changes.

If not , I've blown 60 bucks as I wont play it even upon launch if its still too slow and unresponsive , TERA has just spoiled me in that dept.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Originally posted by Dahkot72

Love this post.  I decided not to pre-purchase GW2 because I was impressed enough with what I'd seen from TERA, and after watching the streaming videos of GW2 and reading feedback from many people, I'm glad I didn't.  I'll be keeping an eye on it, and will most likely purchase it after launchto use as my second game after TERA, but as of right now, it seems I made the correct choice.  

I will also add, in GW2's defense, that it's a little unfair to compare a game in it's first beta event to a game that's been out for a year and a half, but...GW2 fans have been crowing about how that game is the Second Coming for so long, that they kind of deserve a little egg on the face for their vanity.

Preface to say, I'm a big Tera fan, however, I think GW2 is getting a very bad rap way to early to make any determination as to its fate. I am still going to purchase it in June or whenever it's released to form my own opinion. I believe as an aredent MMORPG fan, continuing to support these games is critical to their very existance. Shoot, it doesn't even have a subscription fee. I still play Monopoly for Cripes sake!

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Its less of the games fault and more of the fan bases fault. they were the one that decide to go out and make it sound like the perfect game and how its better than everything else on the market. And when beta isn't anything close to what they imagine? well there going to be back lash. Poetic justice you could call it i think XD