Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Beta Weekend Expectations

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As the first-ever beta weekend nears, we've got a few thoughts to share about what we're anticipating seeing during the Guild Wars 2 event. See what we've got in mind for our time in game and then let us know what you're looking forward to in the Guild Wars 2 beta weekend.

As someone that appreciates and even misses certain strong community aspects that were more prevalent in earlier MMOs, as well as someone who loves team-centered activities and events, Guild Wars 2 looks to me like it will cater to players like me in a few ways. I’m cautiously optimistic about that hope, since other games haven’t done so in a while, and this one has me excited.

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's and Mike Bitton's Guild Wars 2: Beta Weekend Expectations.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    Space jam. Wow. Did not expect that
  • dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Final thoughts:

Today is the big day and i hope everyone has as much fun as i have had just aimlessly adventuring and stumbling into one entertaining, exciting and fun thing after another close to non stop..

The personal stories are awesome, fun and challenging and co-exist very well with the real game world nobody should miss trying this excellent feature out as you move along..

I could tell you about many awesome things that i encountered just in the PvE world not counting the WvW when i played but alas soon you will get to tell of your own adventures in this game..

But dont expect to recall it all at once!

Have fun and enjoy!

Playing GW2..

• MingxvMingxv Member Posts: 21

I was looking forward to having my headset on and playing with your guild. So as I discovered new things I could listen to what you all were doing untill we jumped into WvW.

Well, it seems my granddaughter, 'Pipper' will come after school and stay all weekend to play the game with my son. So no use in me even getting on Vent but I may check you guys out as I have set vent up thanks to Star.

Pipper loves Playing betas and gets alot of harrassment from boys at school who think it unfair she gets to play betas like Starwars and Guid Wars2. 'No fair you are a girl'. I can not believe they say that, lol. Games are for girls, lmao.

I can watch Pipper and my son play as I twiddle my thumbs and tease her, ' I want my game back',lol.

Ready for WAR waaaaaaaaaaah
    Morkwovsmez (Warhammer beta) and Miragexv in many games including FFXI.
    Ming in (Betas:StarWars, GuildWars2, and most other betas)

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I have been following the game since i was first mentioned to exist by it's founder.I really wnted to keep my distance from the game as it approached launch(how many times have we all been burned by promises not kept).I guess it's the optomist in me.I went out and bought the game(with a little..ok a lot...of prompting from my better half).Yes ,i'm excited.I remember my days in UO...just going out to explore...to collect feathers for my arrows.To socialize.If this game can even come close to those memories.

And on the other side....like some here I'm a long time (now x) DAOC player.The WvW conflict is what got me to buy the game.I love keep tower fights...A LOT.

5H  22m  23s

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170
    The giant, GIANT zerg of people in the start zones will be horrible. But there is still WvWvW, huzzah.
  • CaponestyleCaponestyle Member UncommonPosts: 112
    cant wait. i am prolly the most diehard GW2 Fan in here. built a custom gaming pc just for todays first experience! played guildwars 1 off an on for its entire 7 years. wow how time flies. ill see you all ingame dudes and dudettes. Ill be rolling with the mmorpg crew on maguuma :P
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Most of all, I want to put ArenaNet's claims about the game to the test. I want to simply strike out into the world and adventure and hopefully discover tons of things to do and experience.

This is exactly, what i'll put to the test, to see if the hype and fuzz really has something to back the claims!

I'll skip the whole WvWvW part for the duration of this test, just because, well what you see in the videos is most propably what you'll get... and that to me will be something i rather not "spoil" for myself untill launch (if i will get the game come launch)

For now, i'll just go about exploring and see if it really is something "awesomely new and innovative"

And i'm going at it with a neutral mindset with slight hope that it actually is something new and exciting!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • TwitchnTwitchn Member Posts: 33

Ahh yes it will be a big weekend for all the carebear pvpers.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

GW2 Beta Event expectations?

I expect it to give me:

- few million dollars

- perfect health and outstanding psysical condition

- world peace

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by Gorwe

I want ANet a VERY successful and positive beta.

I also want YOU the players to have fun and to, hopefully, find what you wanted...

Isha's blessings upon you all on this grand day!

I am suprised Mike doesn't also want/expect  GW2 to bring about world peace and an end to famine.

Seriosly folks, GW2 is an updated GW. When you play the beta bear that one in mind.  Yes, there is a pretty good game there. But replay value isn't that high.  GW has sold about 6.5 million copies since lunch...but are there 6.5 million players logging in every day still. Heck, no. The game isn't really an mmo, as ArenaNet do admit, so I am predicting strong sales at launch, and people going elsewhere after a few months when there is nothing left to do.

• SparkaSparka Member UncommonPosts: 52

Ahhh Maguuma, that was my cbt home server.  It got steamrolled bad right away, lost every single base.  Then they changed the teams for the stress test, and in just a few hours Maguuma was destroyed by the 2 new servers...   

It must be very underpopulated, plus now you can use gems to swap to a new server.  I'm hoping they make it so if you try to move to a high-pop server, it costs more gems, and less for a low-pop one.  (and yes I know about the 2 week resets)

Also I'm not sure if our old characters from cbt are invited to this test without pre-purchasing, or if theres been a character wipe.  Might be some players with lvl 30 gear running around in Wpvp...

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I fully expect they over sold the game and the login game servers to crash quickly under the load.

After all this is a server stress test to be fair and honest, and I have a feeling we are all going to be quite stressed before its over.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Sparka

Ahhh Maguuma, that was my cbt home server.  It got steamrolled bad right away, lost every single base.  Then they changed the teams for the stress test, and in just a few hours Maguuma was destroyed by the 2 new servers...   

It must be very underpopulated, plus now you can use gems to swap to a new server.  I'm hoping they make it so if you try to move to a high-pop server, it costs more gems, and less for a low-pop one.  (and yes I know about the 2 week resets)

Also I'm not sure if our old characters from cbt are invited to this test without pre-purchasing, or if theres been a character wipe.  Might be some players with lvl 30 gear running around in Wpvp...

You played in CB, yet you dont know if there was a wipe?

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Twitchn

Ahh yes it will be a big weekend for all the carebear pvpers.

And for you my friend, there's EVE online. I hear Jita has already started to burn. Should be fun to watch.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Not sure if I'll even try to venture into WvW too much this weekend. Want to play all 8 professions a bit in PvE to get a feel for them.

Then maybe take 1-2 to WvW and instanced PvP.

Damn you time, move faster! I want to be out of work and on my rig playing GW2 NEOW!

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978
    I have to say I'm impressed with what's been put out there about the game. Lets hope that it does meet the expectations that gamers have had about the "next generation" MMO. We could have a winner here.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by BadSpock

Not sure if I'll even try to venture into WvW too much this weekend. Want to play all 8 professions a bit in PvE to get a feel for them.

Then maybe take 1-2 to WvW and instanced PvP.

Damn you time, move faster! I want to be out of work and on my rig playing GW2 NEOW!

Sending your character into the Mists (PvP area) is a good way to test out the characters at high levels. You get access to all your skills, including elites and utility. Although you are stuck with 2 weapons and preset traits. But still, will give you an idea of how they play at max level. There are training dummies there in the hub too.

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132
    I like it how AreanaNet is going to steal TERA's lunch, but launching the first beta weekend event, the same time as the TERA head start. Well played, AreanaNet.
  • ZeDaBiZeDaBi Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Illyssia

Originally posted by Gorwe

I want ANet a VERY successful and positive beta.

I also want YOU the players to have fun and to, hopefully, find what you wanted...

Isha's blessings upon you all on this grand day!

I am suprised Mike doesn't also want/expect  GW2 to bring about world peace and an end to famine.

Seriosly folks, GW2 is an updated GW. When you play the beta bear that one in mind.  Yes, there is a pretty good game there. But replay value isn't that high.  GW has sold about 6.5 million copies since lunch...but are there 6.5 million players logging in every day still. Heck, no. The game isn't really an mmo, as ArenaNet do admit, so I am predicting strong sales at launch, and people going elsewhere after a few months when there is nothing left to do.

You, sir, obviously haven't followed information on this game at all. For one, this is an actual MMO: not like the hubs and instanced areas in the first Guild Wars. Combat and questing is also a lot different, and you can go back to earlier areas without it being too easy for you.

If you're going to make claims like that, at least back it up.

• ShoXKShoXK Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Sparka

I played on Maguuma as well, other servers had more people in WvW. The server did conquer some keeps during the early reset but still got stomped.

[quote]

[i]Originally posted by wrightstuf[/i]

[b]You played in CB, yet you dont know if there was a wipe?[/b]

[/quote]

During one of the stress tests periods after the CBT, my characters were still there. Maybe they might still be there for this one, i haven't had the chance to check yet.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by NameWasTaken

I like it how AreanaNet is going to steal TERA's lunch, but launching the first beta weekend event, the same time as the TERA head start. Well played, AreanaNet.

Right now it's hard to play gW2. Can't log in, fps and lag issues. Sometimes I had enough lag to die to mobs continuosly. So it's not very enjoyable to the point that I consider buying TERA just to feel a "finished" game =P

• lorenna5lorenna5 Member Posts: 4

Unless you pre purchase this game, there is no free beta weekend.

I have to say , if they plan on launching this next month, diablo 3 will wipe the floor with it..if they leave it until June / July they are cutting it really close to the mists of pandaria's launch which is expected this summer, as the final annual pass players have been invited and the beta nears its end possibly at the end of June, give it another month and it's likely to be in stores in July.

I genuinely feel sorry for this title, coz it's going to end up owned on both fronts by 2 games i couldn't care less about..

And as for free public beta access...which arena net claimed not so long, has now suddenly turned into cough up the doe or no access...funny thing is, they claim if you pre purchase (buy the game at probably a retarded price, best wait for the shop order) you get early beta access lol.

and some in game pet.

I have spent way too much on trying too many mmo's to ever buy another one without trying it out...public beta is there to stress test the servers..and since this is unavailable in the shops in europe and not available online to european players...makes you wonder. if the hype really is worth it.

if tyuor a european, then this american stress test has nothing to do with us in the slightest...because they are not planning on launching the beta in europa...way to go arena..already alienating half the planet I see :p

And no free public beta test either...when they declared that it would be as such a few months back...seems like the honesty went out the window too.

And for replay value, lets hope it is nothing like the original guild wars with stupid instanced zones.

I've read alot recently about GW 2, free or not, if I am going to invest in a game then I better have immersion , something which I never experienced at all in the original GW, including the really bad factions..which in europe was flop, and an even bigger flop was nightfall here...i bought the special editions..more fool me to be honest.

I do wonder about replay value, SWTOR was a complete and utter disaster, and it had a shed load of money thrown at it, with a much better developer in Bioware...and they got it completely wrong...I hope for Arena Net the thing they have not messed up, is end game content or lack of it.

If they would have been honest from the get go and kept it as a public free beta weekend I may hae tried it, then based my decision on whether to buy it or not...I think I am not the only one with MMO fatigue..too much crap out there.

Gpood luck for the beta this weekend..hope arena get it right first time.

• liadzliadz Member Posts: 35
    A pity the game is so CPU-bound right now. My old core 2 duo cries to run the game while my gpu stays relaxing under the sun, drinking beer.

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by lorenna5

Unless you pre purchase this game, there is no free beta weekend.

I have to say , if they plan on launching this next month, diablo 3 will wipe the floor with it..if they leave it until June / July they are cutting it really close to the mists of pandaria's launch which is expected this summer, as the final annual pass players have been invited and the beta nears its end possibly at the end of June, give it another month and it's likely to be in stores in July.

I genuinely feel sorry for this title, coz it's going to end up owned on both fronts by 2 games i couldn't care less about..

And as for free public beta access...which arena net claimed not so long, has now suddenly turned into cough up the doe or no access...funny thing is, they claim if you pre purchase (buy the game at probably a retarded price, best wait for the shop order) you get early beta access lol.

and some in game pet.

I have spent way too much on trying too many mmo's to ever buy another one without trying it out...public beta is there to stress test the servers..and since this is unavailable in the shops in europe and not available online to european players...makes you wonder. if the hype really is worth it.

if tyuor a european, then this american stress test has nothing to do with us in the slightest...because they are not planning on launching the beta in europa...way to go arena..already alienating half the planet I see :p

And no free public beta test either...when they declared that it would be as such a few months back...seems like the honesty went out the window too.

And for replay value, lets hope it is nothing like the original guild wars with stupid instanced zones.

I've read alot recently about GW 2, free or not, if I am going to invest in a game then I better have immersion , something which I never experienced at all in the original GW, including the really bad factions..which in europe was flop, and an even bigger flop was nightfall here...i bought the special editions..more fool me to be honest.

I do wonder about replay value, SWTOR was a complete and utter disaster, and it had a shed load of money thrown at it, with a much better developer in Bioware...and they got it completely wrong...I hope for Arena Net the thing they have not messed up, is end game content or lack of it.

If they would have been honest from the get go and kept it as a public free beta weekend I may hae tried it, then based my decision on whether to buy it or not...I think I am not the only one with MMO fatigue..too much crap out there.

Gpood luck for the beta this weekend..hope arena get it right first time.

...I started to fail at taking you seriously when you started going on about the free public beta. Couple that with a claim that the beta wasnt launching in Europe, and you've forced me to write a short reply.

1. Why would you add a comment designed to bait up the whole "instanced zones" argument? There's no much evidence to the contrary it just makes you look uneducated and trollish.

2. Do the words "nothing like GW" ring a bell? Guild Wars 2 is an entirely different game from the original, and your statement is highly illogical. "If something is free, it'd better fit my expectations, or I won't invest in it".

3. I get that you hate GW 1 (and possibly ArenaNet as a whole) but why do you feel the need to call yourself a fool for buying the special editions? Of course you are! Everybody who has ever bought a special edition KNOWS that they aren't getting value for money. The point of them is to pay ridiculous prices for a few neat fan rewards and to basically donate to the company they appreciate. Don't get all worked up over the game because you chose to pay extra and didn't like it.

4. I'm legitimately confused as to what your aim is. Most trolls seek to promote their game of choice while attacking another, but your agenda seems to just be to weep bitter hate tears over every modern game. What is your goal? Why visit a site dedicated to MMOs if you hate them all?

5. Free public beta? They never specifically promised a free public beta in the sense you clearly expected. They said a beta would be available to the public; not that a download would just pop up on the site and everybody could try it out. What they're doing is more than acceptable; if you buy the game, you get the beta as a free addition no matter what package you select, to help fix up and bug test the game you'll be playing. Basically, if you're planning to play the game, you can get into beta. How is that unreasonable?

*shakes head* What exactly are you angry with? I'm not trying to insult you: I'm seriously confused by what your aims are. You're comparing two games from basically different genres and complaining because you don't get to beta test a game you weren't going to play anyway. Please explain.

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by NameWasTaken

Based on the feedback so far, ArenaNet has probably just improved TERA's launch sales.  From what I've seen so far, my decision to play TERA over GW2 has been justified.  

Thanks, ArenaNet!