Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: NA Digital Editions Sell Out

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Guild Wars 2 Facebook page has been updated with the news that all keys for the digital edition of the game in North America have been sold. According to the post, the number of keys available was limited to ensure that participants would have a smooth, lag-free experience.

We have sold out of keys for digital distribution in North America. GameStop and Best Buy still have stock available.

We limit sales to ensure we have enough capacity for our customers. We're likely to have capacity available after the initial crunch at the start of the weekend. Players who purchase when we're able to resume digital sales at buy.guildwars2.com will still be able to play for the remainder of the weekend.

Source: Guild Wars 2 Facebook

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    wise company!=luv em already.
  • PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by orbitxo

yeah not like SWTOR did this or anything. The number of keys were limited to ensure you would have a lag free experience, so we can hide the fact how laggy it will be on launch. Talk about admitting something.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Goes to show its not just a money grab. They actually want to test things, and maintain high quality. I like that very much.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Forcing people to go out and buy the game from retailers (=get the collector's edition).

It's a money grab to get the collector's sold since it clearly lacks value.

Also everyone who wanted to pre-order the game already have, so this is just a marketing trick to get some late sales going on before pre-order.

Stop being so naive, A.net is playing the consumer.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Will they be selling keys again closer to release?
  • kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by orbitxo
    yeah not like SWTOR did this or anything. The number of keys were limited to ensure you would have a lag free experience, so we can hide the fact how laggy it will be on launch. Talk about admitting something.

People like you kill me. If they hadn't done this and let in everybody and the servers would have been overloaded to the point of crashing, you would be in here screaming haha arena net/ncsoft fail!!! the game is going to fail and be dead next month, haha all you people who pre-purchased are fails too hahaha!!!

Basically, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Enjoy your quiet weekend without us though. I'm sure you'll be here trying to stir the pot by yourself, the rest of us will be having fun playing an innovative game lol.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by Zaltark

Goes to show its not just a money grab. They actually want to test things, and maintain high quality. I like that very much.

All about perspective.  If WvWvW lags controllable with high populations then limiting the amount of players to hide the performance issues is a wise move.  In marketing it also makes the game seem more rare and therefore more valuable.

Originally posted by GoldenArrow
    Forcing people to go out and buy the game from retailers (=get the collector's edition).
    Also everyone who wanted to pre-order the game already have, so this is just a marketing trick to get some late sales going on before pre-order.

The collector's editions that are out there that haven't been sold have been accounted for as part of the possible people that would be in the BWE being played so no, it's not a money grab. Take your tin foil hat off lol

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

As all company's do, its after all business right.

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114
    I wonder why they haven't announced any kind of prepurchase sale numbers.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    I think europe have no problems with sold out, its so badly promoted over here we will have lag free experience hehe. If this smart move on arenanet's part, future will tell but ignoring potential 500 million people it seems risky.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by RodimusPrime

I wonder why they haven't announced any kind of prepurchase sale numbers.

They will probably do that after the beta, saying something like "400K preordering players tried the game for the first time"...

They just started selling it a few weeks ago, you can't announce numbers every week.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    You can buy it on eBay for $80 to $130.  Or buy the collectors. :D *wink*
  • MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105
    Hmm.. Well, I was on the fence about GW2, and after a less than satisfying sting in TOR, went there credit card in hand to pre-purchase.  Then I saw they had disabled them.  Well, I guess it's nice when companies make decisions like this easier by telling customers that they don't want their money.
  • TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326
    I wonder how many they've sold
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Did they at any time say that the keys were going to be limited before they sold out, or give some sort of indication they were running low?
  • BrachusBrachus Member UncommonPosts: 97
    They're sold out on their site only. You can still go to Gamestop and Best Buy sites and buy them. I just bought mine off the Best Buy site 30 minutes ago, got my Beta invite, and am downloading now.

Originally posted by adam_nox
    Did they at any time say that the keys were going to be limited before they sold out, or give some sort of indication they were running low?

They did say that they would cut off pre-purchases if they sold too many, yes. They don't want people playing this weekend to be getting disconnected, or have 1250ms pings, etc. I don't know why people froth at the mouth with conspiracy theories.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by Mishakai

Hmm.. Well, I was on the fence about GW2, and after a less than satisfying sting in TOR, went there credit card in hand to pre-purchase.  Then I saw they had disabled them.  Well, I guess it's nice when companies make decisions like this easier by telling customers that they don't want their money.

Aww, are we supposed to feel something for you because you waited till the last moment and won't make the effort to go to a store and pre-purchase it?

They will still take your money, but might have to wait if lazyness is involved.

/plays world's smallest violin.

• Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Well, I couldnt play this weekend and was gunna wait to order; swell.
  • mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Not a money grab? You kidding me?  They KNOW that their servers would crash if they had unlimited access, that's why they limited it.  Smart on their part, fooling the customer base as if they really care.  Don't get me wrong I'm one that will be playing, but don't be fooled into the guise that they limited access to actually test because they "care".  It's always about the dollar signs. 

Nothing is worse than having the first set of player go in and not being able to play because the servers are down for 8 hours at a time due to server overload, word of mouth travels fast and with that ends up changing some people's minds about trying it out right away.  Not to mention, trying to sell more CE's.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Limiting numbers to cover up lag issues?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by stragen001

Limiting numbers to cover up lag issues?

Yup, but we're supposed to believe they care.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• KlinosKlinos Member Posts: 1

I just bought one from your website http://mmorpg.dlgamer.com/ and I just received my key, then it seems you still have some for us!

YEAH YOU! :D

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Marketing gimmick to scare consumers into scrambling to make a purchase next time it's on sale.