Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP and me II - nervous and angry, how to cope?

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

You know, I must make a sort of a confession. I am a sore loser. Lol. No really. I HATE losing. And in PVP it really kills me to lose. You see, I make PVP because it is more dynamic than the usually boring PVE mob grind, especially in latest MMOs. But whenever I enter a PVP arena, I feel like a Klingon on blood fever. It's horrible. I feel pumped with adrenaline like in a war or what. It's like my head is close to explode and my heart jumps out of my breast, I feel angry, I feel aggressive, I feel in a frenzy in no time. And that certainly doesn't help to be cool and get control. Now my friends all tell me, in time I will get calmer, but truth be told I do PVP for years and I get no calmer a bit lol.

Every time I lose a match, my immidate surroundings are in great danger to be smashed. I always thought this people throwing dishes in anger was a cliche, but if I had less self control... ^^

So I am curios if others have the same issue? I know, some people are calm and cool in PVP, and losing doesn't touch them. Is there a trick? I wonder. But when my team loses I always feel angry like a mad Klingon, lol. Not cool. >.<()

So, how is it for you?

Feelings I know so well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcctWbC8Q0

XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

anger is not a ninja's friend. stay calm :)

if your enemy manages to engrage you, he already won!

:>

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Thane

God knows I know! lol I am so easy to piss off. XD If anger was a thing, I could burn PLANETS.

Maybe I should compete with Angry Joe and make Angry Elikal. But I presume that wouldn't be funny and only dumb. XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    At the end of the day its just a game... i think i have to be in a bad mood in general to get angry at a game LOL
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

For skill-centric PVP, you can either be angry or learn from mistakes.  If you learn, you'll get better -- and then next time you won't lose (except by bad teammates) and won't even be tempted to anger.

For time/population-centric PVP, learning from mistakes isn't as important because player skill isn't as important.  So whore up the gear, levels, and zergs to achieve victory.

I get frustrated when I feel I haven't played optimally and then die (or even just fail to kill someone in the most efficient way possible.)  But it's unbelievably frustrating to lose due to some very shallow reason (the opponent bringing more friends or having better gear through time investment.)

I don't outright get angry, though.  I may swear a bit, but it's rare to lose my calm.  Probably because early PVP experiences taught me that letting anger take over hurts my decision-making ability.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    You better not play wvwvw then. You ll be constantly angry. Noobs everywhere
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Those peeps who dont have basic instincts are the ones who have problems.

Soon you are addicted to Klingon blood fever ,sorry hehee.

Let's internet

• KiyonoriKiyonori Member UncommonPosts: 70

Ugh I know that feeling all too well.

When I'm really in to it I get this strange taste in my mouth and my hands start getting really cold, but that's usually when I'm in a 1 v 1 situation and I REALLY wanna win, like if this guy has killed me 5 or 6 times I gotta get one in at the very least.

I know it's just a game but when you're super competitive nothing matters haha.

That's why I prefer games with bigger pvp battles as when you die in those it's usually because you got focused on or got mixed up in all the chaos and lost yourself.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Nethriil

You better not play wvwvw then. You ll be constantly angry. Noobs everywhere

Strangely in Open PVP I am never that nervous. Probably because it never "ends" and there is never a real "score". It just goes on. You conquer the castle, you lose the caste. In arenas there is a clear and and loss. That makes a huge difference for me.

I recently started to watch some PVP videos and reconfigured my skill bars. I tend to place the skills very conservative, the way I learn them ferom 1-9 or from close range to long range or so. And thats of coure bollocks in PVP. I experiment with more unusualy setups atm.

• pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81

Friend... I really understand what you are talking about... I hate losing too and for a long time I always was the one to lose on PVP. I always got bored, even started a new game all cause of this "PVP losing" thing.

But here comes my experience and how I changed that:

1 - Gear is very very important and it takes a little time for you to start to understand when you lose cause of superior gear and when you lose cause of your abilities.

2 - and most important, a friend that is good on PVP (Now I'm better than him, I'll explain later) saw me playing and said "you don't have fingers", he meant that I wasn't playing right... clicking the buttons fast enough or in the right time. So I started training my fingers... like a piano, like music. You must connect the right reactions to the right buttons/macros. Start training...

3 - Learn with the other class, what I mean - if you are a sorc and your ass is kicked by glads, roll a glad. It's true... know your enemy! You don't have to reach even middle levels to learn, know and understand how the other class works, and then its much more easier to kill em!!!! Cause you know how they will act on you and when and etc.

I can really say that I'm a totally different PVPer now and I kill a lot more.. to tell you the truth something I fail, of course, but most of the times that guys just win cause of gear!

good luck :)

• pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81

Completing why I'm better than my friend now:

1 - he really has better fingers, no doubt. But I have much better strategy, so after some finger training the things became serious! With good fingers and very good strategy you can really really kill anyone or run from the ones that can kill you... never letting them get ya!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Originally posted by Axehilt

For skill-centric PVP, you can either be angry or learn from mistakes.  If you learn, you'll get better -- and then next time you won't lose (except by bad teammates) and won't even be tempted to anger.

For time/population-centric PVP, learning from mistakes isn't as important because player skill isn't as important.  So whore up the gear, levels, and zergs to achieve victory.

I get frustrated when I feel I haven't played optimally and then die (or even just fail to kill someone in the most efficient way possible.)  But it's unbelievably frustrating to lose due to some very shallow reason (the opponent bringing more friends or having better gear through time investment.)

I don't outright get angry, though.  I may swear a bit, but it's rare to lose my calm.  Probably because early PVP experiences taught me that letting anger take over hurts my decision-making ability.

Axehilt the wise hath spoken.

Elikal, relax. Stop getting so wound up when playing. You are just asking for a ragefit outburst in the end.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Reminds me of my old arena partner. I'm not the type to get upset, and just methodically PvP. He would regularly go into a litany of cussing spasms lol. I remember druid/hunter and mage/rogue combo being a particular sore spot for him. I guess being kited all over the map for the entire match will do that to a warrior. Full rage bar.
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    As for a solution to your problem... smoke some herbal enhancement. I personally don't, but it does calm you and help focus in on the game.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I have no trouble losing to someone better than me. What I really don't take well is losing because of team mates. I don't mind if my team mates are newbies or as long as they're motivated to win and learn from their mistakes. The worst kind are the ones that think they know what they're doing but really don't. And those that seemingly are not even trying.

I've made a rule in some games never to trust allies. Sometimes it fleels like your worst enemies are your allies. If you want to make sure something is done properly, do it yourself.

If I lose because someone made a stupid error - I will let them hear it. But likewise if I made a stupid error, I'm angry at myself. Likewise I get angry at myself if I lose to cheese.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

I was KLINGON years ago now im a VULCAN i control my anger very good no EMOTIONS ive learned through meditation to control my dark beastial side:)

P.S. Early days ive smashed some keyboards and mouse lol but not anymore i value my possesion more.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Thane

Pretty much this. I may feel dissapointed but I take what I learned from the failure and apply it to the next time.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

question for people who get mad in pvp when they lose:

how did you guys cope with losing when playing sports, chess, mario kart, super smash bros, counter strike, unreal tournament, halo, DoTA etc etc if you havent been in these situations enough maybe thats why you cannot cope with PVP.

i became very accustomed to getting my arse handed to from a very young age by older kids and what not and losing in versus games and it doesnt really bother me. dont get nervous or angry. maybe PVE-ers have lived through a relatively sheltered childhood? just a theory...