Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended PC Build for GW2?

SylvariPrideSylvariPride Member Posts: 2
Hello all.  I'm very interested in Guild Wars 2 and am seeking to get a new PC for this game, however I am not very pc savvy.   I'm not rich or anything or a hardcore tech kind of person, so I'd like to ask if anyone would be able to help come up with a general guideline for a PC that can run Guild Wars 2 at max settings?  It would be much appreciated for sure.

Comments

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Wait after optimizations have been made. Then browse forums to see who is running GW2 at max settings and what their system specs are.

Compare and go for the best bang for your buck.

i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz, HD6970 and...well, let me say I'm waiting for optimizations but I was between "meh" and "happy" with performance overall.

• bowzef1990bowzef1990 Member Posts: 56

guildwars 2 is cpu intensive game and less GPU with that in mind

any quad core from AMD or Inel will work fine for gw2

a Intel 2500 would be good but all depends on budget

and a GTX 560 or something around that price range would be good to

4gbs of ram

and a corsair 600W power supply

• SylvariPrideSylvariPride Member Posts: 2

I found a possible PC, would these specs be able to run the game at max settings?

16GB DDR3 SDRAM

AMD Radeon HD 7950 3 GB memory

2TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)

2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820 processor  Features a 10MB L3 cache and 3.6GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system

How's that sound?  I'd think that would be a good rig, could it run the game at max?

• CavemanBECavemanBE Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by SylvariPride

I found a possible PC, would these specs be able to run the game at max settings?

16GB DDR3 SDRAM

2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820 processor  Features a 10MB L3 cache and 3.6GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz.

How's that sound?  I'd think that would be a good rig, could it run the game at max?

LOL sure man :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

16GB DDR3 SDRAM

haha thats pretty overkill for GW2.. the game is nothing special graphics wise so the hardware requirements are not that mad..

A mid range system from a few years ago could still run the game without any issues.

Now if your planning on playing al lthe latest games coming out and you have the cash to buy the above system then hell yeah go for it.. if you just want a system for GW2 then go for what the guy said a few posts up..

GW2 ran maxed out on my system.

I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz

8gb ddr3

2 x ATI 6850s but some people have said GW2 does not wor well with crossfire or sli..

Win 7x64..

I ran it totally maxed out with no issues at all..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think you should wait a while, Nvidias 600 cards will soon be out and then you can decide what will works best for your budget, the more choices the better.

The good news is that GW2 is rather well programmed so you don't need to get high end computer.

A quad CPU with acceptable speed (3,5 ghz should do it) and a higher mid range GFX card. 4 gigs ram should be enough but ram is really cheap now so getting 8gigs from the start or getting 2 x 2gigs chips and add 2 more later is a good deal.

The one slightly expensive part you should get is a SSD to keep loading times at a minimum. a 120 gigs is not that expensive after all.

Once the game have a launchdate it is time to start looking on specific parts, computer parts usually gets better and cheaper so waiting is the best option.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Caldrin

haha thats pretty overkill for GW2.. the game is nothing special graphics wise so the hardware requirements are not that mad..

A mid range system from a few years ago could still run the game without any issues.

Now if your planning on playing al lthe latest games coming out and you have the cash to buy the above system then hell yeah go for it.. if you just want a system for GW2 then go for what the guy said a few posts up..

GW2 ran maxed out on my system.

I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz

8gb ddr3

2 x ATI 6850s but some people have said GW2 does not wor well with crossfire or sli..

Win 7x64..

I ran it totally maxed out with no issues at all..

It is not really some people, the beta faq states that SLI and Xfire is not activated yet. Of course in the previous beta it might have been on, not sure about that, otherwise you ran it that well on a single card...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Good to know you can max it on 6850 (single as there's no xfire), should be good to go with my pc.
    Fx4black, 6870, 8gb
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    For all we know the game might not be out until the end of the year. I'd say play the beta weekends, if you're in them, on whatever you currently have and wait until nearer the time. Only upgrade now if you're PC is struggling with whatever you're playing currently as there's no point in building for something that might be 6 months away.
  • KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

16GB DDR3 SDRAM

You can run anything at high settings with that m8, an i3 is enough for GW2, 4gb ram and a GPU like an Nvidia 440gt or less is enough to run at medium settings, but with that u can set all ultra np

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Kidon

16GB DDR3 SDRAM

You can run anything at high settings with that m8, an i3 is enough for GW2, 4gb ram and a GPU like an Nvidia 440gt or less is enough

I have to admit that it made me chuckle a bit.

(to original poster) -  X79 is not exactly the budget platform but then again the 3820 is cheap in relative terms for X79.  (I have a 3960x in my "work" box).

If you are willing to spend the money that will likely be a decent system (sounds like you are looking at a pre-built so I won't say it will definitely give the performance it should... )

You could get an 1155 based system with the same video card and half the ram... save a chunk of $$ and get the same gaming performance.  (2500/2600/2700 or one of the new ivy bridge parts).   I didn't mention "K" series because... the 3820 is not an unlocked cpu so you don't seem to care about overclocking and non "k"'s are slightly cheaper in general.

If you do any kind of video editing/encoding or rendering... you would actually get a bit of a boost with this system (3820).   If you are simply gaming... you could save money as mentioned above (2500/2600/2700/ivy bridge).

*edit note* edited for some clarity and if you looked for Ivy Bridge cpu's most regions won't be selling those until sunday the 29th... tho some are floating around already.

Oh and there was also no mention that I saw ... in regards to resolution.   It takes a bit more to hit a decent frame rate at 2560x1440 (or higher) compared to 1920x1080 (for example).    Its useful information to have when making a minimum recomendation.

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371

My build:

Antec Armor A-90 chassis

MSI GD-55 motherboard

6GB DDR3 RAM

i5 2400k 4.0ghz (oc)

2TB HDD

750W PSU

GTX 460 2GB (i know kind of rare and was realy hard to find)

It plays anything i throw at it. It plays BF3 maxed out completely 1080p* AAx4

Plays crysis 2 maxed out. Crysis 1 maxed out (full AA)

The witcher 2 maxed without their wierd little rendering feature on...that no one uses lol

Skyrim maxed out - even with a few graphics tweaks

World of Warcraft on the lowest settings possible, infact i have to plug it into an old CRT monitor to get it to display properly. Also i have to tilt my chassis 12 degrees to make sure air flows properly while playing it....jk

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

Originally posted by NBlitz
    Wait after optimizations have been made. Then browse forums to see who is running GW2 at max settings and what their system specs are.
    Compare and go for the best bang for your buck.

i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz, HD6970 and...well, let me say I'm waiting for optimizations but I was between "meh" and "happy" with performance overall.

This.

Wait until after this weekend at the very least. Data will start spilling out from the Guru forums on performance by spec. The one consistency is that the game is admittedly tied to the CPU. Save money on a (moderately) less expensive GPU, and get a higher performing CPU (Intel). I don't think that will change even after release.

They did say though they are beginning to optimize, and this will offload some of the spell effects calculations etc, on to the GPU. For my money, I wouldn't purchase new anything lower than a Radeon 7850. The new 7000 series, and GeForce 600 series are much better with power consumption, and are great performers with prices dropping every day.

You will also add some longevity as ANet rolls out expansion packs, and improves graphical quality over the course of the game. That's just general advice. If you are able to wait a couple of months, you will probably eventually know the exact specs of a PC that will run GW2 on max for the cheapest price possible.