Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is better for cpu.

charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Hi im wondering what would be better for gaming a phenom 2 965 or a intel QX6850,

i can build both and thay both will cost about the same when complete but i heard alot say amd isent as good for gaming,

So im pritty much looking for some professional help and just in case people are wondering the rest of the system,

it will have 8GB 1600 mem and 2 geforce 560ti's and 2TB sata HDD's.

thanks for any help

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    For gaming, Intel. I would get an I7 2500k or I7 2600K though, they will both outperform the intel QX6850

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If your going AMD the fx4 is the same price as the phenom 2 and their fastest CPU for gaming. Still behind i7s and the top i5s though.
  • nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212

You should go straight Sandy Bridge CPU right now or if you can afford it atm Ivy Bridge....The i7-2600 or 2600k is a BEAST when it comes to gaming and gaming rigs....Here is my rig setup:

CPU - i7-2600

RAM - 32GB (I know overkill)

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Sound Card - Sound Blaster Fata1ity PCI-e

Video Card - Nvidia GTX 680 (Single Card)

MoBo - GigaByte P67A-UD4-B3 F6

Internet - Verizon FiOS (35/35)

Monitors - Dual Dell U2711

Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate

Mouse - Razer Naga Hex

Mousepad - Razer Vespula

I can play ANY and EVERY game known to Man...I can have multiple windows up and downloads running concurrently while logged on to my favorite MMO :)

The best part I made this system myself by going to my local computer store (MicroCenter) in my case and buying the parts one-by-one and then had Microcenter put together my dream rig because I was tired and lazy at the time :)

Good Luck!!!!!

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    im really recomend phenom 2 x6 core 1055T + so you have somthing good for the future

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

What's best is moving this to the hardware section instead.

But to answer the question, AMD's best processor from 3 years ago will typically beat Intel's best processor from 4 1/2 years ago.  AMD may have trailed Intel at the high end for the last several years, but they didn't trail that far behind Intel.

If you're building a system with used parts, you'd best make sure that things are compatible.  Most of the motherboards for those processors won't support SLI, even if they do support CrossFire.  Most LGA 775 motherboards used older DDR2 memory, also.

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Thanks for the help and reason im asking as i got offered a xps 730 h2c for a sertain price or i could use the money to build a system but i only got 600 pounds lol.
    For £600 your going to have to go with AMD then.I guess. Have a look on ccl they had a fx4, am3+ mobo, 4gb ddr 3 prefitted mobo deal on. Add something like a 6870 and a decent supply like a corsair 550vx and toil be around the £600 mark with something that will play everything current on high in hd, but... will probably feel a bit aged when the next gen of consoles come out.
    Doh didn't see you already had 2 decent video cards. Oh get i5 2600k will last you for a few years that. Or splash out on i7 will last you longer but you don't really need it for any current games.
    Too confusing our days as thay got so many choices to pick and you have no clue what is good value for performance and such.
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

I can recommend this article: As of April 12 2012 -

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

Best Gaming CPU for $230: Core i5-2550K
    Best Gaming CPU for $190: Core i5-2400
    Best Gaming CPU for $130: Core i3-2120
    Best Gaming CPU for $100: Pentium G860
    Best Gaming CPU for ~$80: Pentium G630 (It's as good as a PhenomII x4 955)

Good Hunt.

At $100 fx4 is better buy than i3, especially considering cheaper AMD mobos. Best choice for budget gaming rig

I5 2500 up for a great rig now

I7 for a rig that's still great in 5 years time
  • masandifer7masandifer7 Member Posts: 8
    I like the post it is very great
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    At $100 fx4 is better buy than i3, especially considering cheaper AMD mobos. Best choice for budget gaming rigI5 2500 up for a great rig nowI7 for a rig that's still great in 5 years time

Sadly no.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-10.html

At $100 the G860 beats an FX-4100. concerning the "mobos", they don't differ much anymore.
    Socket 1155 are aviable at 50$ (Asrock) as much as Socket AM3+ (ASrock) 50$.

AMd mainboards are cheaper if you go for the high(er) line with 150$ - 250$ with tripple / quad crossfire / SLI and USB3.0.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    With £600 you could build a fairly decent system. I'm sure Quizzical could even tell you what you could get if you post what you already got, saving money on parts that you probably dont need to replace.  I would tell you but I dont follow the market like Quizzical does and he is more knowledgable than I am.

Originally posted by charlespayne

Thanks for the help and reason im asking as i got offered a xps 730 h2c for a sertain price or i could use the money to build a system but i only got 600 pounds lol.

Exactly what hardware is in it?  And at what price?

If you can assemble parts yourself and don't need new peripherals, then on a £600 budget, you should be able to get something better than a four year old system.

• NviousNvious Member UncommonPosts: 21

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

All you need to know for performance/Price

Originally posted by skydiver12

Originally posted by ShakyMo

At $100 fx4 is better buy than i3, especially considering cheaper AMD mobos. Best choice for budget gaming rigI5 2500 up for a great rig nowI7 for a rig that's still great in 5 years time

Sadly no.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-10.html

At $100 the G860 beats an FX-4100. concerning the "mobos", they don't differ much anymore.

Socket 1155 are aviable at 50$ (Asrock) as much as Socket AM3+ (ASrock) 50$.

AMd mainboards are cheaper if you go for the high(er) line with 150$ - 250$ with tripple / quad crossfire / SLI and USB3.0.

Never mind the AMD versus Intel angle.  Look at how a Pentium G630 compares to an overclocked Core i5-2500K in their benchmarks.

Let's look at the theoreticals.  The processors have basically the same cores, except that the G630 has two of them clocked at 2.7 GHz and the 2500K has four of them clocked at 4 GHz.  The 2500K also has 6 MB of L3 cache, versus 3 MB for the G630.  In purely single-threaded programs, a 2500K is 48% faster than a G630.  In programs that scale perfectly to four cores, a 2500K is 196% faster than (that is, about triple the performance of) a G630.

So look at their benchmarks.  How often does the 2500K get around triple the performance of a G630?  Never.  Double, even?  Never.  48% faster or better?  Only once.  And why is that?  Because they're not processor benchmarks.  Their basic methodology is to pick a game to benchmark, and then try to make it video card bound so that you can't tell the difference between the processors.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The choice between a Sandy Bridge Pentium dual core and an AMD FX-4100 is a question of whether you want two faster cores or four slower ones--and a comparison where the faster cores aren't that much faster.  So the two faster cores will win by a small margin in programs that can't put more than two cores to good use.  The four slower cores will win by a large margin in programs that scale well to four cores.

There are still quite a few games where the two faster cores will win--but the four slower cores will still run games well.  But where do you think games are headed?  The trend is for games to scale better to more cores.  There are already many games where four slower cores will win, and an FX-4100 will crush any Pentium dual core processor by an enormous margin.

My bet would be that five years from now, there will be far, far more games where an FX-4100 is fast enough and a Pentium G860 is not than the other way around.  At some point, game designers be comfortable assuming that you've got a quad core processor, and once that happens, it's game over for the Pentium G860.  That's why I'd recommend getting a quad core in a new gaming system today.

At moment im just useing a rubbish laptop so i cant salvage the parts,

the xps 730 h2c has a QX6850 and 6gb 1333 and 2 270 sli cards and 2 TB hdd's and a liquid cooling system, all for 600 lol.

2 270 sli cards

Wait, what?

Make sure you know exactly what the video cards have.  If it's two GeForce GTX 560 Ti cards in SLI, then that's worth nearly half the price of the machine right there.  But those are fairly recent cards, so it would be strange to buy two of them shortly before selling the entire computer and not even keeping a video card.

If the cards are both a GeForce GTX 560 Ti, then you might consider buying it and resell one of the video cards, in order to bring the effective purchase price down.

Do be warned that while the video cards are a recent upgrade, the rest of the hardware is probably about 4 years old.  Especially for hard drives, that's getting up there in years, so you shouldn't assume that you'll get another 4 years of use before parts start failing.

Well i just recently bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170789232872?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I couldent believe how cheap that is becouse when i priced it up for the 3 from my local scan retailers it came over 450 pound for all 3,

So now i just need the Gpu and the case and im pritty much done for my pc.

Well i just recently bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170789232872?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I couldent believe how cheap that is becouse when i priced it up for the 3 from my local scan retailers it came over 450 pound for all 3,

So now i just need the Gpu and the case and im pritty much done for my pc.

Oh bother.  This is exactly what you're not supposed to do.  The entire point of starting a thread asking for help is so that you can get advice that prevents you from making a ridiculous purchase like what you just got.  Though really, this entire thread has been a clinic in how not to seek help.  If you can cancel your order, then do so, but I'm guessing that you can't.

I can easly cancel it as it is sunday and what misstake did i do.

The immediate problem is that a Core i7 2700K is a ridiculous processor.  For gaming purposes, a Core i5 2500K is equivalent.  Price out parts with a 2500K instead of a 2700K and you'll see one problem.  For that matter, for gaming purposes a Core i5 3570K is both significantly better and a lot cheaper than a Core i7 2700K.

The only real reason to get a 2700K over a 2600K is if you speculate that the higher stock speed means you're getting a slightly better die, and have a shot at overclocking it a little bit further (if you're lucky, a difference in the tens of MHz).  That only matters if you're looking for an extreme overclock.  But on a low end motherboard (as compared to others with the Z68 chipset) with a 4+2 phase power system and no heatsink on the power circuitry, you're not getting much of an overclock at all, let alone an extremely large overclock.  And it is low end for Z68:  Asus basic naming scheme is LX < LE < (no suffix) < Pro < Evo < Deluxe.

-----

More fundamentally, your entire approach here is wrong.  What you ought to do is to create a thread in the hardware forums (where it will be seen by more people who know computer hardware well and fewer who don't but will reply anyway) and explain what you want.  Give your budget, the intended purpose for your system (e.g., gaming), and what hardware you need.  In particular, specify whether you need new peripherals (speakers, keyboard, monitor, mouse, surge protector) or can reuse old ones from a computer you're replacing.  If you have any other hardware that you're planning on using, say so.  If you're capable of assembling parts yourself rather than needing to pay someone to do it for you, then say so.

And then wait for replies.  If you're considering getting some particular hardware, then say exactly what you're considering getting, and the exact price.  A link to the site selling it is ideal.  Wait for replies before rushing off to buy something.  Really great deals that you have to buy right that moment before they disappear are pretty rare--and you're not computer-savvy enough to recognize them.  Retailers will try to make their product seem like such a great deal to try to convince you that you need to buy it before getting advice, but it rarely is.  If you've found something that you think is a great deal and you'll miss out on it if you wait a bit, then it's probably overpriced and all you'll miss out on if you wait a bit is paying too much for inferior hardware.