Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Will be an Interesting 3 Days of MMO History

kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
Ladies and Gentlemen in 14 hours and 30 minutes, hundreds of thousands of people will finaly be able to find out if this breath-taking game will truly be worth the insane amount of hype it has received in the past 3+ years. Very soon after you wake up tomarrow you will be apart of these monumental 3 days that depending on feedback, could very well shape the way almost all future mmos are made. How do you feel right now?

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
Why is it still such a big deal?

Comments

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

First there was the guy claiming the pre-purchase date was a date that will forever be known in history...now tomorrow will forever be known in history. I think we're making a bigger deal out of things than they actually are.

That being said, I pre-purchased and am interested to try out the game. Will the heavens shine upon me when I do so? Not likely.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I hear the little footsteps of haters coming this way... they sound extra mad.
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I love the smell of hyperbole in the morning...

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I still dont get why people hype things up so much, it'll only lead to dissapointment.

Dreams > Reality

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Very excited, of course. I was a bit shocked, pleasantly so, to see them release a list of 48 servers for the WBE. Another game that had beta recently had trouble filling four servers for the first pre-order weekend beta events and that didn't ever require a pre-purchase, just a pre-order.

I almost expected that Arenanet may have to send out beta invites to earlier applicants in order to get a proper stress test, just because I wasn't sure how many people would buy into the concept of pre-purchasing a game with out an actual release date. Well, it seems, they have put all those fears well to rest and, based on just pre-sales, GW2 is probably already one of the best selling MMOs in recent years. It will only snowball from here.

Game design, business model and the pre-purchase strategy are all very untypical for the genre and if it all proves to be successful, it will indeed shake up the genre quite a bit.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214
    I was trying to find the Winston Churchill 'We will fight them on the beaches will will fight them on the landing grounds...' D-day speech to copy paste but I thought it might have been overdoing the sarcasm slightly... 
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring but Monday is going to be absolutely hilarious!

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

Originally posted by Decadentia

First there was the guy claiming the pre-purchase date was a date that will forever be known in history...now tomorrow will forever be known in history. I think we're making a bigger deal out of things than they actually are.

That being said, I pre-purchased and am interested to try out the game. Will the heavens shine upon me when I do so? Not likely.

Except you completely misunderstood my post.  Yes I'm excited but that's not what its about.

Monday is going to be one hell of a day of GW2 news. Articles, Reveiws, youtubers and sites are going to be everywhere talking about GW2.  Local chats of countless mmos will be filled with GW2. They already are, monday will amplify it 10fold because now EVERYone will no whether or not it lived up to so many expectations.  Whether those expectations are met or not will determine the content of the reveiws/chats/forums/etc..

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Anyone else as interested in knowing the final figures of how many pre-purchases ANet sold ?

I can't wait for those to be revealed ... haters will bemoan and cry.

Lolipops !

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    I love everything that Gw2 is bringing to games but let's not go too far. This is a BETA weekend. There are known bugs and broken things to see!

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Anyone else as interested in knowing the final figures of how many pre-purchases ANet sold ?

I can't wait for those to be revealed ... haters will bemoan and cry.

48 servers... 48 servers.

24 NA servers and they stopped the digital sales to prevent overcrowding and/or needing to setup more servers.

Knowing that people will be crammed into starting areas and wanting to WvWvWvWvW they aren't likely going to be ran at full capacity... but that's still a lot of servers filled with mostly prepurchases.

The game isn't even out yet! I don't know anyone who prepurchased the game (aside from me of course). I know lots of people who are interested but are waiting for the game to release.

The next 3 days will be interesting, that's for sure.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Also expect server crashes & Server Q... With everyone trying to log in at once, i can't wait to here the "Ohh i want a refund" and "Ohhh, what lag"

Originally posted by Xstatic912

Also expect server crashes & Server Q... With everyone trying to log in at once, i can't wait to here the "Ohh i want a refund" and "Ohhh, what lag"

Ya, given they state that the game's graphics aren't optimized you are guaranteed to lag around large groups of players.

I doubt the servers will crash, but it's possible. Setting up game servers is a lot different than it was 10 years ago. ArenaNet and NCSoft have a lot of experience in this area... but it is new hardware and new software, so things can go wrong. I am expecting no crashes but won't be upset if it does.

And of course there will be people, even people who aren't actually playing, that complain about the lag and crashes when they happen.

Originally posted by OldManFunk

And of course there will be people, even people who aren't actually playing, that complain about the lag and crashes when they happen.

Haha sad but true.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

My theory and this is just a theory:

1. The dynamic questing system as a version of leveling can obviously be done in a B2P model, so Trion, Blizzard, and TOR will almost be forced to adopt it. Only reason full voice overs from TOR are not realistic is they cost quite a bit. This will catch on.

2. Geared based MMORPG's will be really challenged here. Will this be viable? Will pure pve guilds accept this non instanced raid enviroment? Will this game validate instanced raiding in TOR, Rift, and WoW as the best approach to pve end game? GW2 fans need to accept this is a real possiblity.

3. WvW in my view has already done it what it needed to do. There is little doubt in my mind that Trion is working on this and Blizzard has dropped hints. It is coming. Now will it be a huge Aion lag fest and prove the technology is simply not there yet ?

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I am excited to try it, but I am definitely not getting my hopes up. I have been let down countless times. And, I am already bummed that ranger has to use a pet to be effective.

Some good folks here told me to roll warrior if I want a pet free ranged DPS class, so I am going to go that route. and, I am looking forward to engineer as well.

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by kDeviL

Except you completely misunderstood my post.  Yes I'm excited but that's not what its about.

Monday is going to be one hell of a day of GW2 news. Articles, Reveiws, youtubers and sites are going to be everywhere talking about GW2.  Local chats of countless mmos will be filled with GW2. They already are, monday will amplify it 10fold because now EVERYone will no whether or not it lived up to so many expectations.  Whether those expectations are met or not will determine the content of the reveiws/chats/forums/etc..

I completely understood your post, though I was commenting on the fact that the words history along with the "could change the face of landscape forever" tinge at the end. Comes off as a bit much.

It will certainly be an eventful day for fans, and many will be discussing, I completely agree with you there.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Originally posted by Xstatic912

didn't they already say there would be no queues?  that isn't really a question, they did.

i wouldn't expect them, i imagine if they said there would be none then they don't have a system in place to create them.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601
    What's happening over the next 3 days?
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    I'm looking forward to this weekend for a variety of reasons.  If the game doesn't live up to expectations, I'll just switch on over to the TERA headstart and enjoy the forum meltdown here.

I completely understood your post, though I was commenting on the fact that the words history along with the "will change the face of landscape forever" tinge at the end. Comes off as a bit much.

It will certainly be an eventful day for fans, and many will be discussing, I completely agree with you there.

Honestly after re-reading my OP it sounds alot more like hype. Not what I was going for.   It's more of a depressing reason lol. If Guild Wars 2 fails for me, the last bit of hope I had for this genre would be gone, and with that I would be done with MMO's for good and stick to something like planet side 2.

Originally posted by Puremallace

My theory and this is just a theory:

1. The dynamic questing system as a version of leveling can obviously be done in a B2P model, so Trion, Blizzard, and TOR will almost be forced to adopt it. Only reason full voice overs from TOR are not realistic is they cost quite a bit. This will catch on.

2. Geared based MMORPG's will be really challenged here. Will this be viable? Will pure pve guilds accept this non instanced raid enviroment? Will this game validate instanced raiding in TOR, Rift, and WoW as the best approach to pve end game? GW2 fans need to accept this is a real possiblity.

3. WvW in my view has already done it what it needed to do. There is little doubt in my mind that Trion is working on this and Blizzard has dropped hints. It is coming. Now will it be a huge Aion lag fest and prove the technology is simply not there yet ?

I agree. I think that WAR and Rift tried to come up with a good system for dynamic events but fell short. If GW2's system can make the world seem less static then it'll be copied.

Gear based MMOs have already tried varoius things to address the problems of gear differences over the years by moving more toward what GW2 sets out to do from the start. For instance, WoW came up with separate gear for PvP (which gets upgraded after arena seasons now) and normalized PvE gear on the release of each expansion (by placing greens in new 5 man dungeons that were better than previously acquired raid epics). This is a preference thing... but I really like the idea of GW2's system a lot better. I don't like raids and so hope that the weekely scheduled gear grinds are a thing of the past. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

WvW isn't new. DAoC had it in RvR. Lineage had it. PlanetSide had it. Aion had something like it. Whether or not it's a lag fest depends on how well tuned the game engine ends up... and we don't have and won't have that information, yet. Obviously if they can't make the client perform well when dozens of players are on the screen then WvW will suffer (although I did continue to go to the abyss despite constant crashes in Aion).

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

i noted 2 days in my agenda ! :P

27-4-2012 - Friday: The day i get to play the guild wars 2 beta.

30-4-2012 - Monday: The day where the shit hits the fan on the forums lol.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Ladies and Gentlemen in 14 hours and 30 minutes, hundreds of thousands of people will finaly be able to find out if this breath-taking game will truly be worth the insane amount of hype it has received in the past 3+ years. Very soon after you wake up tomarrow you will be apart of these monumental 3 days that depending on feedback, could very well shape the way almost all future mmos are made. How do you feel right now?

With all the Hype definition threads going around.

I must ask,,, Are you Hyped?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design