Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm still not convinced by the Guild Wars 2 hype.

Comments

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Who cares about hype.

I do research and watch videos of gameplay and decide for myself.

• GamerToonsGamerToons Member Posts: 30

I'm sorry but I think your complaints are crap.

Using PC gamers piss poor beta preview as an example was out of line considering things they talked about weren't even real complaints.

All of the classes are boring? What are you smoking? I've never seen a better Warrior, Ele, or Necro.... Ever than in what I've seen in guild wars.

Removal of trinity? Bring it on. 

Scripted and cut and dry? No. Next, you obviously are missing something.

Mounts? Can you say expansion? ArenaNet isn't just going to add mounts to add mounts. They will need to be different. Wait and see. I expect a mount that is more like a party member.

I don't get why something you aren't excited in causes you to go in a forum and whine about it either. There are a lot of big name games I don't get but you don't see my posting crap about how I don't get the hype. It's stupid, you either like it or you don't.

Did you want us to convince you or something because if not then get outta here.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Originally posted by Leodious

I suppose it comes down to my impressions of the underlying meaning of hype.

To me, hype is when media or companies promote a game with things like Funcom is, or with cinematics instead of raw gameplay footage. To be sure, there is some hype from Anet for Guild Wars 2 — The Destiny's Edge video and the manifesto and the like. But most of the "hype" is coming from players, from gamers who have actually played the game and think it is amazing. To me, that's not hype. That's word-of-mouth references for the quality of a game. I don't put stock in media reviews or what a company says about their game and how it is revolutionary. I do put stock in what other players say about a game they have played.

So, I suppose we can call it hype if you like. It is still a very different thing from what most companies do, and the "hype" from most games before they are released.

I didn't want to go into semantics, but I agree with you and see less press and devs 'selling' and more coming from the players and what they've seen/experienced.

We just need to understand what each of us mean when using a word that has a few meanings.  image

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by kanezfan

Originally posted by Nevulus

DEs are dynamic in that if they are not completed, if they are ignored, then the "bad guys" take over. I read that this is not just a 10 minute take over or a one hour take over, but more like a week before it resets. Buildings can be destroyed or set on fire, NPCs killed, etc... If that happens and you needed to get something from that area then you will need to fight those forces off which is in itself, a different DE than the DE that started this whole thing to begin with. And even then, once you have fought off the invaders, part of the DE would be to help rebuild, gather wood, things like that to put buildings back together, and if you don't do that part then invaders come back and take over, just faster this time.

They'll also have DEs where it's something as simple as this farmer is going to lose his farm because he doesn't have enough people to milk his cows, or pick lettuce from the ground.

They put in all kinds of things to do.

I hope all the detractors have the balls to post their apologies on Monday, and if the game sucks, I will be one of the first to eat crow on here.

This also happens in Rift, just not as flashy graphically with animations as GW2.

No you're wrong. You constantly post stuff about GW2 acting like an expert about it and you don't know. I played Rift. If no one takes out the rifts there, they close up by themselves after a few minutes. They do not matter and nothing bad happens. That's why no one does them anymore. There are no consequences if the rifts aren't closed and within like 10 minutes, it's as though they were never there.

We all know you hate GW2 with a passion, but at least come up with valid reasons. WAR's PQs failed too because they had no consequence on the game world and after a while, no one participated.

You know one minor little thing that I think will contribute greatly to GW2's success? You don't have to click a join party button. When people show up for an event, they are all part of the group.

Also, the DEs scale up and down in difficulty based on how many people are participating. Actively participating by the way, so they can't be griefed by idiots showing up just to sit around doing nothing in order to increase the amount of NPCs attacking.

So anyways, please tell me exactly why you think DEs will fail. You have never backed up your claims with anything tangible. You just spout off a bunch of crap and it's annoying. Will you be here on Monday to say you were wrong? I doubt it. You remind me of the callers on sports radio talk shows that call in before a big game talking smack about how their team is going to crush the other team and then your team loses and we don't hear from you for a couple weeks. Buzz off dude, you're just annoying. I can already imagine your reply to this though, no substance and just this "Yeah you only want to hear from other fanbois, enjoy your fail game hahahaha!!!"

So because he is cautious about hyped up MMOs (since he was fooled by  WAR) he has to be a guy who hates on gw2 with a passion? Really?

From his post history it just seems he has valid concerns and questions who has not played Gw2. I dont think that makes him a complete hater and makes your attack on him uncalled for.

If he had valid concerns, he would have valid reasons for his concerns. He never posts his reasons to attack anything. He just attacks. He's a troll in the most classic sense of the term. He posts things just to get people riled up. Anyways, I'm done arguing. I've stayed away from forums for a long time because I was tired of arguing about things when it has no consequence. My life won't be impacted by anything anyone here says. Enjoy your forum pvp people.

You are the person I quoted. So I will explain it to you, which you also detailed in the post I quoted, but may not even notice you did.

You state for a fact that events in GW2 also reset. It may reset at longer periods of time, but it still something that resets, just like Rift's dynamic events. Some events in GW2 are triggered, just like some events in Rift are as well.

NPC can take over the map. This also happens in Rift. They call them Footholds in Rift. When NPC capture them, the ally NPC vanish. Not as flashy as how GW2 animations show major destruction, but it's the same concept. NPC come, attack, and capture, until players fight them off.

Also event npc can attack other event NPC.

Rift has Zone invasions, which have massive powerful boss creatures to fight. GW2 has Metaevents which function the same way, as the most hardest form of Dynamic Events.

All the events in both games are scripted versions of traditional quest. Both games. Again... GW2 events are very similar to Rift's events.

No idea why you see that as attacking/trolling. It's simply the truth. Shows how the meaning of attacking and trolling has lost their meaning.

I have to disagree, man. Yes the systems are very similar. But that's to say that shoes are similar to socks. Both do, indeed, belong on your feet, but their principles are entirely different. Dynamic events dont "reset" they cycle. Obviously there isnt this infinite void of Events that will always be different, fresh, and new so these things must cycle at some point. They do NOT, however, reset...even if they do reset it's after a VERY long period of time(a length of time that ensures that players have indeed forgotten or abandoned that event).

Yes in rift NPC's could take over parts of the map but that was more just at random and there was no real purpose or thought behind it. It was just "random_counter = 15; //ok monsters will spawn now, enjoy". In Guild Wars 2 centaurs or other enemies have a purpose for attacking a trading post, or a village...and even after you drive them off they may take some valuable supplies with them...which you then have to track down and retrieve from their dead bodies :p. So not only does a dynamic event generate itself, but it then extends itself into your game experience by giving you something to do afterwards. In Rift...you closed a rift and that was it "gg guys...now back to grinding".

There was no real reward for killing rifts in Rift so there was no incintive to do so. Trion was under the assumption that players cared about a town that they were in at level 12 for all of 30 minutes and that that connection alone would be the driving force to make players want to defend it.

Guild Wars 2 rewards players for participating. It rewards them for playing together and being a part of something bigger than themselves and their little grindbox.

But what realy makes the Dynamic events so dynamic is the fact that they practically invite you in...Especially if they happen right infront of you. Rifts do nothing to invite you in except for the fact that they stand there and look kind of mean. If a dragon plops down out of the sky...theres incintive to fight this guy...He's got goodies, you'll get karma, you'll get gear, and you'll have a blast. And the part that gets most people is that you dont have to know anyone to be a part of it. You dont have to be a part of a prestigious guild to get it done...just walk up and join in...no Join Group button, no "LFG Upper fort siege" ...none of that. Just..play........and enjoy.

And most importantly have fun.

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• solpariahsolpariah Member UncommonPosts: 19

Originally posted by caremuchless

Who cares about hype.

I do research and watch videos of gameplay and decide for myself.

I have to agree with this post. Opinions are good, but I can always tell the difference between educated and uneducated assumptions. When enough gameplay footage has been put out there I create my own evaluation. Hands on experience is the best though, granted, if I don't like it, oh well, I'll wait for the next game, haha. We'll find out tomorrow, that's for sure!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by MMO_REVIEWER

I have to disagree, man. Yes the systems are very similar. But that's to say that shoes are similar to socks. Both do, indeed, belong on your feet, but their principles are entirely different. Dynamic events dont "reset" they cycle. Obviously there isnt this infinite void of Events that will always be different, fresh, and new so these things must cycle at some point. They do NOT, however, reset...even if they do reset it's after a VERY long period of time(a length of time that ensures that players have indeed forgotten or abandoned that event).

Guild Wars 2 rewards players for participating. It rewards them for playing together and being a part of something bigger than themselves and their little grindbox.

But what realy makes the Dynamic events so dynamic is the fact that they practically invite you in...Especially if they happen right infront of you. Rifts do nothing to invite you in except for the fact that they stand there and look kind of mean. If a dragon plops down out of the sky...theres incintive to fight this guy...He's got goodies, you'll get karma, you'll get gear, and you'll have a blast. And the part that gets most people is that you dont have to know anyone to be a part of it. You dont have to be a part of a prestigious guild to get it done...just walk up and join in...no Join Group button, no "LFG Upper fort siege" ...none of that. Just..play........and enjoy.

Okay, I'm going to attempt to clear up some misconceptions. MMO_REVIEWER is mostly right, but MMO_Exposed got a few points correct, if by accident.

SOME EVENTS DO RESET! Notice I said some, not all, not the majority, some. Most are cyclical, especially the major ones. You will notice most of the events resetting in the noob areas (if you decide to stick around there forever, and not explore). This is precisely because it's the area people are going to be using the most. There are events that cycle in the noob areas (centaurs can take over certain outposts, there's a fishing village that mole peeps can overrune if you don't help them out, and then you will have to take it back.

Okay, that's about where MMO_Exposed's point stops being valid. As, RIFT events are not at all like GW2's. For one, GW2's pertain to whats going on in the area. Rift's are esentially the same events randomly spawning over & over again all over the world. Furthermore, most of these have to be actively triggered. You've seen that invasion? Or that elite rift taking over? Chances are someone started that. They are almost entirely irrelevant, and basically devolved into a 2ndary form of gear grind. Cool idea, horrid implementation.

GW2's Dynamic Events? Some are actively triggered, some are passively triggered, some are small, some are huge, some lead into other events, some events run upto you and start, some events ask for you to start, they are multiple and varied. GW2's event system is basically a giant mess of events all over the place. There is so much going on, a lot of the times you don't even realize you're doing a dynamic event. You just get bombarded with them.

Comparing the events system in GW2, to the rift system in Rift, is like comparing fighting a war to firing in a gun range. GW2 is pure chaos, rift puts it's events in a controlled environment.

- Side note (and you could actually, possibly call this hype and not be wrong this time!), I heard in an interview today (from the Gamebreaker PvP Q&A Part 1 video) (yea, I know I'm a few days behind on that) that GW2 has stated that they are dedicating a team to weekly modifying random events around the world. Seems like they are already thinking about events getting stale after a while, and are dedicating some people to preventing that from happening. Kinda exciting if you think about it.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

Snip

Snip

Sorry I had to snip out your response to MMOExposed because I plan on supporting your statements and I am going to need a little bit of space.  :)  The major thing I will add to your statement which gets lost by alot of people is that Dynamic Events are cynical but they have persistance.  If the Centaurs take over the town, they don't just give it back, they players have to take it back.  So just because they are on a Chain does not mean they are moving.  Sure, some dynamic events may reset, but I bet  those are the smaller ones.  If someone wants to understand what a Dynamic Event is in GW2, then watch the links below from a Pax East panel.  They let the crowd build one.  It's pretty cool and has plenty of explanation. 

PAX GW2 Events Panel Part 1 - history about quests, GW Utopia, and the decisions behind dynamic quests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mjiRKkHwXk&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=16&feature=plcp

Part 2 - Event overview continued and beginning of audience participation.  "events have persistant effect on world... it stays that way until something else comes along and makes it so it doesn't."   Personal stories have permenant consequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD8aKF0xvU4&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=15&feature=plcp

Part 3 - Description of the 3 areas the audienced gets to choose where their event will be (continued from part 2).  Area races.  The mighty Ooo.   Other events in area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d3Yy4ku6qI&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=14&feature=plcp

Part 4 - Other event chains and places in area. The Vigil info, Order of Whispers.  Dyanmic event explanations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smmi_RqzHw0&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=13&feature=plcp

Part 5 -  More area DE and area explanation, audience chooses area of map to create event.  Complexity of size of events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SsnB_5ySP0&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=12&feature=plcp

Part 6 - More event explanations.  Question and explanation about percentage of fail vs succeed events.   Arenanet doesn't encourage event completionism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTQtgrB7uMA&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=11&feature=plcp

Part 7 - Designing the DE with the audience.  Excellent description on keeping events joinable. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB41YDLBw_g&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=10&feature=plcp

Part 8 -  Planning event chain continued.  Kicking off the event and deciding the difficulty of the event.  Awesome walk through of chaining events together.   Quick reference on how long to run straight across map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLrlO-b-puY&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=9&feature=plcp

Part 9 -  Planning event continued.  Building an underwater Vigil cannon.  More explanation of effects and consequences of events.  Mechanical steam powered shark to fight the uber shark? :)  Goating the quaggan to "hulk out", shape shifting, etc..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1jvABJemog&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=8&feature=plcp

Part 10 - Planning event conclusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMpx_OdQW-s&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=7&feature=plcp

G4 - Small artical about above panel.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/707390/guild-wars-2-will-feature-player-created-quest-chain/

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by SteeJanz

Very nice sources Janz. That must've taken you a long time to make. Well done!

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by aesperus

Very nice sources Janz. That must've taken you a long time to make. Well done!

I liked yours as well. 

I actually copied and pasted.  I created it a few months back for another thread.  :)

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Snip

Snip

Sorry I had to snip out your response to MMOExposed because I plan on supporting your statements and I am going to need a little bit of space.  :)  The major thing I will add to your statement which gets lost by alot of people is that Dynamic Events are cynical but they have persistance.  If the Centaurs take over the town, they don't just give it back, they players have to take it back.  So just because they are on a Chain does not mean they are moving.  Sure, some dynamic events may reset, but I bet  those are the smaller ones.  If someone wants to understand what a Dynamic Event is in GW2, then watch the links below from a Pax East panel.  They let the crowd build one.  It's pretty cool and has plenty of explanation. 

PAX GW2 Events Panel Part 1 - history about quests, GW Utopia, and the decisions behind dynamic quests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mjiRKkHwXk&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=16&feature=plcp

Part 2 - Event overview continued and beginning of audience participation.  "events have persistant effect on world... it stays that way until something else comes along and makes it so it doesn't."   Personal stories have permenant consequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD8aKF0xvU4&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=15&feature=plcp

Part 3 - Description of the 3 areas the audienced gets to choose where their event will be (continued from part 2).  Area races.  The mighty Ooo.   Other events in area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d3Yy4ku6qI&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=14&feature=plcp

Part 4 - Other event chains and places in area. The Vigil info, Order of Whispers.  Dyanmic event explanations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smmi_RqzHw0&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=13&feature=plcp

Part 5 -  More area DE and area explanation, audience chooses area of map to create event.  Complexity of size of events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SsnB_5ySP0&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=12&feature=plcp

Part 6 - More event explanations.  Question and explanation about percentage of fail vs succeed events.   Arenanet doesn't encourage event completionism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTQtgrB7uMA&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=11&feature=plcp

Part 7 - Designing the DE with the audience.  Excellent description on keeping events joinable. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB41YDLBw_g&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=10&feature=plcp

Part 8 -  Planning event chain continued.  Kicking off the event and deciding the difficulty of the event.  Awesome walk through of chaining events together.   Quick reference on how long to run straight across map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLrlO-b-puY&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=9&feature=plcp

Part 9 -  Planning event continued.  Building an underwater Vigil cannon.  More explanation of effects and consequences of events.  Mechanical steam powered shark to fight the uber shark? :)  Goating the quaggan to "hulk out", shape shifting, etc..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1jvABJemog&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=8&feature=plcp

Part 10 - Planning event conclusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMpx_OdQW-s&list=UUq9u57NOp7ozHj_NsnBK7XA&index=7&feature=plcp

G4 - Small artical about above panel.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/707390/guild-wars-2-will-feature-player-created-quest-chain/

Ha, I remember this.  One of my friends, a guild mate of mine, was at the panel (not me though).  I got the last laugh though, as I got into the Anet after party to chat with the devs!

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Nevulus

DEs are dynamic in that if they are not completed, if they are ignored, then the "bad guys" take over. I read that this is not just a 10 minute take over or a one hour take over, but more like a week before it resets. Buildings can be destroyed or set on fire, NPCs killed, etc... If that happens and you needed to get something from that area then you will need to fight those forces off which is in itself, a different DE than the DE that started this whole thing to begin with. And even then, once you have fought off the invaders, part of the DE would be to help rebuild, gather wood, things like that to put buildings back together, and if you don't do that part then invaders come back and take over, just faster this time.

They'll also have DEs where it's something as simple as this farmer is going to lose his farm because he doesn't have enough people to milk his cows, or pick lettuce from the ground.

They put in all kinds of things to do.

I hope all the detractors have the balls to post their apologies on Monday, and if the game sucks, I will be one of the first to eat crow on here.

This also happens in Rift, just not as flashy graphically with animations as GW2.

No you're wrong. You constantly post stuff about GW2 acting like an expert about it and you don't know. I played Rift. If no one takes out the rifts there, they close up by themselves after a few minutes. They do not matter and nothing bad happens. That's why no one does them anymore. There are no consequences if the rifts aren't closed and within like 10 minutes, it's as though they were never there.

We all know you hate GW2 with a passion, but at least come up with valid reasons. WAR's PQs failed too because they had no consequence on the game world and after a while, no one participated.

You know one minor little thing that I think will contribute greatly to GW2's success? You don't have to click a join party button. When people show up for an event, they are all part of the group.

Also, the DEs scale up and down in difficulty based on how many people are participating. Actively participating by the way, so they can't be griefed by idiots showing up just to sit around doing nothing in order to increase the amount of NPCs attacking.

So anyways, please tell me exactly why you think DEs will fail. You have never backed up your claims with anything tangible. You just spout off a bunch of crap and it's annoying. Will you be here on Monday to say you were wrong? I doubt it. You remind me of the callers on sports radio talk shows that call in before a big game talking smack about how their team is going to crush the other team and then your team loses and we don't hear from you for a couple weeks. Buzz off dude, you're just annoying. I can already imagine your reply to this though, no substance and just this "Yeah you only want to hear from other fanbois, enjoy your fail game hahahaha!!!"

So because he is cautious about hyped up MMOs (since he was fooled by  WAR) he has to be a guy who hates on gw2 with a passion? Really?

From his post history it just seems he has valid concerns and questions who has not played Gw2. I dont think that makes him a complete hater and makes your attack on him uncalled for.

If he had valid concerns, he would have valid reasons for his concerns. He never posts his reasons to attack anything. He just attacks. He's a troll in the most classic sense of the term. He posts things just to get people riled up. Anyways, I'm done arguing. I've stayed away from forums for a long time because I was tired of arguing about things when it has no consequence. My life won't be impacted by anything anyone here says. Enjoy your forum pvp people.

You are the person I quoted. So I will explain it to you, which you also detailed in the post I quoted, but may not even notice you did.

You state for a fact that events in GW2 also reset. It may reset at longer periods of time, but it still something that resets, just like Rift's dynamic events. Some events in GW2 are triggered, just like some events in Rift are as well.

NPC can take over the map. This also happens in Rift. They call them Footholds in Rift. When NPC capture them, the ally NPC vanish. Not as flashy as how GW2 animations show major destruction, but it's the same concept. NPC come, attack, and capture, until players fight them off.

Also event npc can attack other event NPC.

Rift has Zone invasions, which have massive powerful boss creatures to fight. GW2 has Metaevents which function the same way, as the most hardest form of Dynamic Events.

All the events in both games are scripted versions of traditional quest. Both games. Again... GW2 events are very similar to Rift's events.

No idea why you see that as attacking/trolling. It's simply the truth. Shows how the meaning of attacking and trolling has lost their meaning.

Yes in rift NPC's could take over parts of the map but that was more just at random and there was no real purpose or thought behind it. It was just "random_counter = 15; //ok monsters will spawn now, enjoy". In Guild Wars 2 centaurs or other enemies have a purpose for attacking a trading post, or a village...and even after you drive them off they may take some valuable supplies with them...which you then have to track down and retrieve from their dead bodies :p. So not only does a dynamic event generate itself, but it then extends itself into your game experience by giving you something to do afterwards. In Rift...you closed a rift and that was it "gg guys...now back to grinding".

There was no real reward for killing rifts in Rift so there was no incintive to do so. Trion was under the assumption that players cared about a town that they were in at level 12 for all of 30 minutes and that that connection alone would be the driving force to make players want to defend it.

But this is the same thing that happens in Rift. You can walk in a join. Even if other faction members are doing the fight. Dynamic events in Rift can be very rewarding. You get Karma in GW2, but you get a special currency in Rift from Dynanic Events as well.

very rewarding. Have you played Rift during the past few patches of the world event? If so, you should know what I am talking about.

Rift has events that cycle as well. Instant Adventure, for example. Anybody can join in. And they also feature events that have special mechanics to them, such as shape shifting, or using special siege skills. 

GW2 does do a few things better.

As mentioned before, the events in GW2 are much more flashy. They use the animations well. Like your example. The creatures (centuar)has a reason for attacking a certain location and capturing it.

But the reality of it is, Rift's event creatures also have lore reason to do what they do. Remember all of that in the example above you mentioned about the Centar attack, is only lore related, which Rift's dynamic events also have. They want to invade and destroy the world.

Another thing GW2 does better is the scaling, as well as the level scaling.

in Rift, the Big zone events scale, and the Instant Adventures scale. But the Rifts only scale based on time. More p,ayers can reach deeper phases of a rift than Solo. And they get harder as you go deeper.

But hopefully later on Rift will add a level scaling feature, as their developers promised.

Also Rift has Dragon Boss events. They are epic. They reward players as well.

I remember seeing a video of an event in GW2 that featured a Dragon and a Canon.

well Rift also has a very similar event with a dragon and cannon. Many may not have played it, since Zone Events also cycle and spawn at random times, making them unpredictable.

Again, I believe people are ignoring this fact that events in GW2 are very similar to Rift's events, and will be disappointed in the long run, once reality sinks in. Maybe not so much, the people that don't have a problem with that, but I am addressing more the people that have this imaginary hyperbole vision of what Dynamic Events in GW2 are.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

*snip*

But this is the same thing that happens in Rift. You can walk in a join. Even if other faction members are doing the fight. Dynamic events in Rift can be very rewarding. You get Karma in GW2, but you get a special currency in Rift from Dynanic Events as well.

very rewarding. Have you played Rift during the past few patches of the world event? If so, you should know what I am talking about.

Rift has events that cycle as well. Instant Adventure, for example. Anybody can join in. And they also feature events that have special mechanics to them, such as shape shifting, or using special siege skills. 

As mentioned before, the events in GW2 are much more flashy. They use the animations well. Like your example. The creatures (centuar)has a reason for attacking a certain location and capturing it.

But the reality of it is, Rift's event creatures also have lore reason to do what they do. Remember all of that in the example above you mentioned about the Centar attack, is only lore related, which Rift's dynamic events also have. They want to invade and destroy the world.

in Rift, the Big zone events scale, and the Instant Adventures scale. But the Rifts only scale based on time. More p,ayers can reach deeper phases of a rift than Solo. And they get harder as you go deeper.

But hopefully later on Rift will add a level scaling feature, as their developers promised.

I remember seeing a video of an event in GW2 that featured a Dragon and a Canon.

well Rift also has a very similar event with a dragon and cannon. Many may not have played it, since Zone Events also cycle and spawn at random times, making them unpredictable.

Again, I believe people are ignoring this fact that events in GW2 are very similar to Rift's events, and will be disappointed in the long run, once reality sinks in. Maybe not so much, the people that don't have a problem with that, but I am addressing more the people that have this imaginary hyperbole vision of what Dynamic Events in GW2 are.

While I agree with what you said mostly, and I can't explain why this is (I have  a current Rift sub) I see GW2 dynamic events as engaging and fun to do(also played GW2 ), and Rifts as a chore, i haven't done a rift since I reached 50, and I activly avoid them.

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I got to disagree, Rift's DE's were alien events that invaded the land. GW2's DE's are apart of the existing world, and they interact and can be semi-persistent depending on the outcomes of the DE.

The rifts in rift spawned more spawns, but the extent of what they actually did to the game world was negligable a few hours later. Destroy the spawns and you end the rift, they are pretty formulaic and rather non-dynamic when it is boiled down to what they are.

I do think Rift implemented Random Events with there rifts, but i really never felt they were a dynamic event.

Course MMOExposed dislikes GW2 because of his past on the GW2Guru forum, so i understand why he posts the way he does, and i respect his opinion's, but still have to take them with a grain of salt.

Lolipops !

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

snip (snap snude -this story is out)

NO matter what rift in reality do now, the perception is that Rifts don't unfold the possibilitues in a dynamic world as GW2 does.

I think the point is that you could and should argue that Rifts are DE's but a subclass of DE's that actual are used so much, and so predictable that they become immersion breaking. And when that happends they are just a mechanic 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I think it will deliver for certain types of players.  I just am dubious about whether it is something I personally would want to play long term.  It's not a quality thing, it's a game design and philosophy thing.  I definitely won't buy it without an extended trial period.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

i enjoyed RIFT, but the rifts themselves just kinda seemed like circular monster generators that would spawn at odd times in certain spots.

they were different color monster generators sometimes and sometimes a lot of monster generators would appear at once on a single map but thats about the extent of their dynamicness as far as i was concerned.

edit: when i played it they weren't even a really viable way to get levels.

if GW2 feels the same to me i probably won't really play the PVE.  just like i didn't play the PVE in RIFT aside from the required amount to level.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Originally posted by nilden

Originally posted by tomer10001

27-29 GW2 First open beta, after that I will tell you exacly wether its hyped or not.

According to all the information released now I'd say its now like wow or and other mmo and yet will succedd.

Open beta if you paid to get in.

There is no way in hell they could have an open beta for everyone with this game.. The server needs would be insane. Every lover and hater of the game would give it a try this weekend.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

the differences between Rifts and GW2 dynamic events have been already discussed in detail above. i miss some major point. Rifts are an additional feature beside questing and for some people just a disturbance. GW2s dynamic events are replacing quests. thats a shift in game-design.

finally it all started with public quests i saw in WAR first time. Rifts were an evolution and a step in the right direction. GW2 goes even further.

somebody mentioned, that a dedicated team is working on changing the quests on a regular basis. also this is a new dimension for content patches ans expansions. basically you would need nothing more than new events and more complex existing events with more branches, more decisions, more cycles and more different outcomes. of course they would also add new zones and other content, but i hope, that one major part of expansions will be more complex and more interconnected events over time.

after all, events are still scripted questchains and no self-regulating and self-inventing AI, but the illusion, that this world is changing becomes better and better as more complex the events become.

the uncompromising implementation of events as a replacement of the traditional quest system, compared to its precedessors (RIFT, WAR, ...) is key for me. however there is the personal questline (which does not hurt, imho) and these heart quests. we will se how good this type of quests is hidden and integrated.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Voiidiin

I got to disagree, Rift's DE's were alien events that invaded the land. GW2's DE's are apart of the existing world, and they interact and can be semi-persistent depending on the outcomes of the DE.

The rifts in rift spawned more spawns, but the extent of what they actually did to the game world was negligable a few hours later. Destroy the spawns and you end the rift, they are pretty formulaic and rather non-dynamic when it is boiled down to what they are.

I do think Rift implemented Random Events with there rifts, but i really never felt they were a dynamic event.

Course MMOExposed dislikes GW2 because of his past on the GW2Guru forum, so i understand why he posts the way he does, and i respect his opinion's, but still have to take them with a grain of salt.

The thing that is the MOST different to me about GW2 DEs is that depending on whether you fail an event or succeed, it can branch off in a different direction depending on that variable.  If you fail to defeat the event.....it may start an entirely different event later than it would have otherwise.  This gives it the illusion of being dynamic and is why it's CALLED dynamic because it is indeed MORE dynamic than other similar systems such as PQs in Warhammer and rifts in RIFT.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

"I bet this "dynamic" content isn't so dynamic when the game is released, people get to play for longer and get bored and see patterns in it."

I believe this is already the case. I saw a video where the time between the dynamic events was greatly reduced (a bug or something) and people already saw the same stuff happening multiple times.

A few week after release I bet there will be websites which chart all dynamic events.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Originally posted by thekid1

"I bet this "dynamic" content isn't so dynamic when the game is released, people get to play for longer and get bored and see patterns in it."

I believe this is already the case. I saw a video where the time between the dynamic events was greatly reduced (a bug or something) and people already saw the same stuff happening multiple times.

A few week after release I bet there will be websites which chart all dynamic events.

You mean like raids which are also very repetitive and people also get bored when they see the pattern to it. These are also the people who been playing the same mmo for the past 5 years. Just saying. I'm sure over time events will get bored to some out there.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by thekid1

Be careful you're not confusing the "renown heart" style events with the DEs. The "RH" ones are much more cyclical and designed to always be there. You complete it once and the NPC becomes a karma vendor of some sort for you and you fill in the gold heart on the map. This replaces the more generic "!" quests and can easily be found by looking at the map. The dynamic events have various triggers instead, be they a timer, a player action (or inaction), etc. and are less predictable.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Greyhooff

To be fair, he does have a point.

GW2 is hyped like crazy and that's never been a good thing in the past. Better to be realistic about it.

Might just be me but all MMOs seem a bit rubbish now. WoW is in major decline, SWTOR is dying super-fast, Rift is kind of meh, Tera just doesn't seem like it can be huge like WoW was, AOC LOTRO CoH etc are kind of stale...

So naturally everyone is looking to GW2 to give them that "first MMO" feeling again. And that's just not realistic.

Ok.... lets be realistic about this.

What has been said to be in game that we haven't seen yet?

We aren't talking about random promises made by devs that gave nothing to back any of it up.

"Soon(tm)"

We aren't talking about hype generated by some trailer with a high production value.

What people are expecting is to get their hands on what we've already seen.

Sure, Hype is bad. Hype is a marketing strategy that is used to convience people that this is something they must have, it's done by making unrealistic promises and giving vauge glimpses of a product.

What we have with GW2 is, we were told about what would be in, we were shown it in game, we were shown it in action. And many of us want to play the game we've seen.

Hopefully this doesn't affect your "Well I know what everyone is really looking for and it's unrealistic" type posts though, they are fun to read while waiting for the beta to start :)

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

during this beta-weekend, we will see not a lot of dynamics and branching events. the masses will simply zerg the events and roflstomp everything to death within seconds.

yes, i know, events scale. but we will see.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

The big difference between Rift events and GW dynamic quests is that Rift events exist in a world with traditional quests.  Unless there's a big "rift event"and which only happens a few times a day per zone, rifts don't get as much attention and are ignored.  The inclusion of normal quests as the main form of xp gathering is what creates the grind.  If Rifts was nothing but "rifts' i believe it would work out better and be closer to a dynamic evenrionment.  Especially if rifts spawned mosnters and those monsters did more than just along the roads.  

Rift just introduced the instant adventure, whjich is one chained quest with no deviations in one area.  It's fairly limited.  If Rift ever does a redesign, it needs to eliminate the regular quests and focus soley on rifts being the main focus of PvE.