Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera is the next big thing

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Yea TERA is truely an amazing game, Beta testing GW2 tommorow so if that fails then im immediatly going to TERA.

I don't think the game in it of itself will fail, probabaly a great game. The community is other story, it only fail to those who put false things in to the game due to their own hype. So i kinda feel bad for some GW2 fan because there will be lot of raging about the game not meeting up to some people's false imagination of the game. but have fun i'll be having my final Q_Q

• mithranftwmithranftw Member Posts: 14
    I agree. Tera is very under-hyped and will do well in the future.  The combat in the game is addictive but, hey, it's an MMO, there's always going to be repetitive elements (kill quests), however Tera makes them fun.  I find myself killing mobs that I don't even need for quests because it's fun to engage in fast-paced combat for a change.  I've tried going back to other tab targeting MMO's but they really pale in comparison to Tera's combat system.

• AndurinAndurin Member UncommonPosts: 125

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Originally posted by LordRelic

I have seen so many people complain about quests its starting to annoy me. Name me a single game that every quest is differant from the  " Kill x Mobs,  Collect X items,  Talk to X, give x this item, etc..etc "  Name just 1.. people Praise GW2 but in the end of everything all GW2 system is  same old same old they just made most of them public quests insead of personal.  But the quests are still kill, collect, give and protect.. You Will never find anything differant then this because there isnot much more to be done. i Mean give me an exsample of what your idea of a quest should be? 

Tera is a great game for what it is. Will i play it for years.. No i wont,  will i get 100's of hours out of it Maybe is that worth 75 dollars..  yea it is seeing how i spend 60 on a single player game and get what 10-15 hours.  I have never found a game fun for years of playing and i never will.  But for what it is it is good.

Is tera for everybody No its not,  NO game is and will never be.. Does that mean its bad No it does not. and if you think it does then your just ignorent.

Your missing the point.  At the base all games have a progression/quest system.  So its not about a game that does not have it. Its about the other aspects of the game that make you WANT to quest in that particular game. Art. Aesthetics. Lore. etc. For me, its how well does the game immerse me in the PvE world.  In my opinion TERA ended up feeling like TOR.  I run through a 'corridor' of quest givers slowly making progress. While this in and of itself can be fun, it looses its appeal when you have done it (in a similiar manner) countless times prior.

Funny that you mention GW2.  The praise is coming from the fact that ArenaNET is CHANGING how progression is handled.  Events happen not by talking to an NPC (the boring aspect) but by being in a particular place at a particular time. Yes, perhaps the same event repeats on some sort of timer but the fact I have dont have to talk to a NPC to start is new.

At the very least it will be different (independent if I end up liking it or not).  That adds a sense of excitement that isnt present in today's MMOs and has been a frequent topic here on the forums.

Im not saying TERA is a bad game.  People are going to like it probably as much as people are going to hate GW2. Its a personal decision.  Im thankful there is choice.

What I am saying, and others seem to agree with me, is that the mechanic employed by TERA detracts from its entertainment value where GW2 mechanic is built from the ground up to be 'entertaining' or fun - however you as the player define it. 

To revert the question, tell me one MMO that plans to deliver what GW2 will?

You will be hard pressed to answer I imagine.  But I could name several titles similiar in 'progression' as TERA.

Get it?

What MMO offers combat like Teras?  GW2 has party quests, so what?  GW2 is doing some good things by starting to push the genre away from stale questing but people don't give tera enough credit. 

Tera has made a huge leap in combat which is 90% of all MMO games. 

Tera has changed combat in its game to make it fun.  instead of a tab targeting system while clicking away at hot keys they have true action combat that is engaging.  

GW2 has changed the way you get quests to get into combat.  Even if you aren't clicking an NPC every 5 mins you are still doing the exact samething you are doing in other MMO's and that's killing shit to level up.  

Let's not act like GW2 has changed the entire genre overnight. 

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Andurin

Tera has changed combat in its game to make it fun.  instead of a tab targeting system while clicking away at hot keys they have true action combat that is engaging.  

GW2 has changed the way you get quests to get into combat.  Even if you aren't clicking an NPC every 5 mins you are still doing the exact samething you are doing in other MMO's and that's killing shit to level up.  

I keep seeing this theme of "true action combat" and I'm curious. The only class that I played in the beta was the sorcerer, and I found nothing dramatically different about the combat other than aiming and the rooting on casting. I had one skill to jump back that had a cooldown, but otherwised moved out of the way of attacks like in any other MMO. The targeting was OK but it didn't matter where I hit the target as long as I hit it. I think localized damage would have helped a lot.

At any rate, my question is whether the other classes played substantially different from the sorcerer and had more of a fluid feel?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148
    No its not...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Charlizzard

I keep seeing this theme of "true action combat" and I'm curious. The only class that I played in the beta was the sorcerer, and I found nothing dramatically different about the combat other than aiming and the rooting on casting. I had one skill to jump back that had a cooldown, but otherwised moved out of the way of attacks like in any other MMO. The targeting was OK but it didn't matter where I hit the target as long as I hit it. I think localized damage would have helped a lot.

At any rate, my question is whether the other classes played substantially differently from the sorcerer and had more of a fluid feel.

Well, when a mob fires a projectile of some sort, you can get out of the way. sometimes you have to "really" get out of the way because I've noticed that a simple sidestep doesn't alwasy work.

As far as substantially different, I would say Warrior is the class that really has to move.

Honestly, unless you've played into the 20 and started fighting the BAMS OR have doen the pvp you aren't going to notice too much of a difference.

Only when you are faced with somethng that can one or two shot you will you develop an appreciation for moving or blocking.

I teamed up with a sorcerer who was amazed I could take the beating I did (fighting bams) and I told him taht it was in the blocking (as lancers are more about blocking than moving - though we do and should move) and if I failed a block then I could get obliterated.

In pvp I find I have no qualms attacking two players because I have a greater sense of control over my character and what it does. I've never really felt this in other games.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

TERA deserves to do well, but as it stands I don't think it does enough things outside of it's combat to really be the "next big thing" it may well have the potential to be, but it's not there yet & perhaps another year or 2 of post-launch development will mature it into a truly great game - all depends on execution, polish & the amount of depth they can add.

It'll find a sizeable niche though & I think could be a grower rather than a walk into the genre & take everybody hostage title.

At any rate, my question is whether the other classes played substantially different from the sorcerer and had more of a fluid feel?

Sorc is one of the most stanary class beside lancer ( but lancer block is epic) Does get better as you hit higher lvl and speicall in pvp you won't be standing skill much. Also sorc kinda sucks itll 48+ because they get a skill at 48 when glyphed increase you attack speed by 70%, by attack speed i mean skill animation. Cast time is still the same but skill animation are extremely fast.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I could tell you for the archer at least, that the class is truely the most insane take on ranged ever.  Constantly having to kite or be mobile and dodge, I actually found it harder fighting another ranged character then a melee as my archer.  I also tried the lancer, just as epic ( especially blocking ).  So yea the game for me definitly lives up to the true action combat title, maybe not the sorc class though.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

At any rate, my question is whether the other classes played substantially differently from the sorcerer and had more of a fluid feel.

Well yes, i would separate the classes in 3 group, base on how they play, ranged (sorcerer, archer, priest and mystic), evasive melee (warrior and slayer) and blocking melee (lancer and berseker).

Of course i don't mean that slayers and warriors are the same but they share a similar logic. If you want something more fluid probably the most fluid is the warrior.

Now about the animation lock, i think that 1 there is some confusion on this site, 2 is there for a reason.

1) I read people refering to animation lock for 2 different things.

- The lock you have when charging a skill (and this go away, every charged skill at rank 3 allow you to move at 50% speed, usually there is a glyph that allow 100% speed for every skill).

- The lock you have when swing your weapon,/casting something or when you release your charged skill.

2) This second type of lock is there to avoid the bunny hoopping or infinite kiting, it is present in almost every action game on the market. Without this lock you could just keep running around the mob smashing a buttons.

They could make the mob faster, to compensate for this, but in doing so everyone will be forced to play in the bunny hopping way, not to mention that to make them dangerous you have to make them really fast. Then you should also nerf them, you can't have a fast mob that can one shoot you. And here we go all the BAMs boss factor is gone they are just an elite, like in every other mmo.

The point of the lock is that you have to know how the BAMs fight and know when you can strike and with what skill, you have to time every attack. If you engage at the wrong time you expose yourself to an attack that can take 50% of your hp or even 100% if you are a squishy class.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Originally posted by Slayerbd

I played in the Open Beta of Tera and leveled a Slayer up to 32. The graphics are amazing, the combat intense and fun. I don't think I can ever play a target and autoattack game ever again. With Tera, you aim your attacks, do evasive rolls to dodge devastating blows, block attacks, and perform combinations to slay your foes. This is a new age MMO, and the developers have really brought the full package to our doorsteps. I've played all the main fantasy MMOs out, most to the maximum levels with tons of alts, and I can tell you, this game is going to crush them all. I believe this game is underhyped and not nearly enough people are taking this game seriously because of guild wars 2. But let me tell you, this game is phenominal and I will be playing it again this Saturday! Awesome game. Check it out, try it out.

Well said

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Sorc is one of the most stanary class beside lancer ( but lancer block is epic) Does get better as you hit higher lvl and speicall in pvp you won't be standing skill much. Also sorc kinda sucks itll 48+ because they get a skill at 48 when glyphed increase you attack speed by 70%, by attack speed i mean skill animation. Cast time is still the same but skill animation are extremely fast.

Tsk do not spread lies, sorc are not stationary at all.

Try to solo a BAM with a sorcerer than you can come back and tell me how you stand still all the time.

• BurnHouseBurnHouse Member Posts: 6

I tried the Tera OBT last weekend. Overall I came away saying "Well, that was okay." I didn't feel like the combat was extraordinary enough to carry the entire game. I played a mystic, so that could be the problem. I literally clicked 1 2 3 4 by the time I set up my combos, and rarely had to do anything outside that order. Wouldn't exactly call that groundbreaking. So maybe another class is more fun, but when you're entire selling point is the innovative combat, you should make all classes equally enjoyable. I also didn't get past lvl 16, but by 16 I was bored out of my mind, yet, shouldn't a game be fun from level 1? Perhaps a bit more challenge early on would be nice, I was practically facerolling through it. Why would you have a brand new game that isn't really good until mid level or cap? As far as the questing, yeah it's traditional, oh well whatever.

That may sound very harsh but I don't mean it to. Great points for the game were the gorgeous environment designs and how fantastically it ran on my mid-ranged system. My current desktop background is from Faerie Pond (I think it was called) I just absoultely fell in love with that area. I think for a certain group of people this game is the bee's knees - and you know what - I'm happy for them! I really hope Tera succeeds and brings a ton of entertainment to those who purchased it. I highly recommend people try this game out for themselves, you might be surprised by how much you like it or decide it's just not to your taste.

Originally posted by Kehdar

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Tsk do not spread lies, sorc are not stationary at all.

Try to solo a BAM with a sorcerer than you can come back and tell me how you stand still all the time.

Ofc if your soloing you can't be stationary but in group sitiuation sorc are the most stationary next to lancer. but compare to all other class in general sorc are more stationary than all other class beside lancer.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by NBlitz

BUT...it is still truly an action combat game, which many can't deal with.

by 'can't deal with' you really mean 'don't necessarily like.'

Its amazing how many people talk about the combat system like its so much harder or superior.  Its a different style.  Its bringng a different genre into the MMO that maybe people don't want.  People may not want MMOs with God of War style combat in them.  It's not because they 'can't' deal with it, its because they don't want to.

• wyss111wyss111 Member Posts: 3

Killing quest mobs before level 16 won't require a lot of moving for sorcerer. From my OBT experience normal mobs only become move more and faster at lvl30, where soloing a group of normal mobs become more difficult. But if you try a duel with a good player, you can see how you will lose badly if you don't move and attack wisely.

It's not that the sorerer's combat is not fluid. It's just because you are not obliged to move yet.

At the same time, I think other classes do play substantially different from sorc. If you want a challenge you can try warrior.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by BurnHouse

I tried the Tera OBT last weekend. Overall I came away saying "Well, that was okay." I didn't feel like the combat was extraordinary enough to carry the entire game. I played a mystic, so that could be the problem. I literally clicked 1 2 3 4 by the time I set up my combos, and rarely had to do anything outside that order. Wouldn't exactly call that groundbreaking. So maybe another class is more fun, but when you're entire selling point is the innovative combat, you should make all classes equally enjoyable. I also didn't get past lvl 16, but by 16 I was bored out of my mind, yet, shouldn't a game be fun from level 1? Perhaps a bit more challenge early on would be nice, I was practically facerolling through it. Why would you have a brand new game that isn't really good until mid level or cap? As far as the questing, yeah it's traditional, oh well whatever.

That may sound very harsh but I don't mean it to. Great points for the game were the gorgeous environment designs and how fantastically it ran on my mid-ranged system. My current desktop background is from Faerie Pond (I think it was called) I just absoultely fell in love with that area. I think for a certain group of people this game is the bee's knees - and you know what - I'm happy for them! I really hope Tera succeeds and brings a ton of entertainment to those who purchased it. I highly recommend people try this game out for themselves, you might be surprised by how much you like it or decide it's just not to your taste.

Funny how you made the account just for this 1 post :).

You played a healer and never even got to healing - How can you say anything about the combat ? You were ready to do basilisks and other fun group stuff around 18-20+. It's a shame, you were about to see why the game is so much fun.

• ThrennieThrennie Member UncommonPosts: 107

TERA is the one game I've most regretted playing in open beta. I  never wanted to like it as I've got far too many upcoming games on pre-order already. The first day I played I thought meh, well I guess that's ok, but I don't know what all the fuss is about, and was ready to quit. Sadly I returned for another try, and another..

Now I'm hooked on the game play, darn it! There goes all my money on another game. :D

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

Originally posted by Slayerbd

I played in the Open Beta of Tera and leveled a Slayer up to 32. The graphics are amazing, the combat intense and fun. I don't think I can ever play a target and autoattack game ever again. With Tera, you aim your attacks, do evasive rolls to dodge devastating blows, block attacks, and perform combinations to slay your foes. This is a new age MMO, and the developers have really brought the full package to our doorsteps. I've played all the main fantasy MMOs out, most to the maximum levels with tons of alts, and I can tell you, this game is going to crush them all. I believe this game is underhyped and not nearly enough people are taking this game seriously because of guild wars 2. But let me tell you, this game is phenominal and I will be playing it again this Saturday! Awesome game. Check it out, try it out.

I tried the game. I actually never got tired of an mmo that fast as i did with Tera.

Im glad that you enjoy the game and i hope you will be having a good time there. But Tera will NEVER be the next big mmorpg. It just won't happend. 

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Tera looks nice both chracter model and world graphics, the combat could have been amazing but the terrible mechanic of attacks having to be in a standing position ruin any kind of "Action" this type of combat could have had. 

Couple the above with the terrible "!" and "?" quest grind mechanic and the gear grind at end game, its just a really nice looking WoW/clone with a potentially excellent combat system mired in a terribly bad execution.

Also someone mentioned that the pausing to attack was needed so that the mobs could not be flanked so easily, i counter that with the mob Ai needing to be quicker with reactions. 

TLDR: Tera looks great but is flawed in too many ways to be "The next big thing".

Lolipops !

• AndurinAndurin Member UncommonPosts: 125
    This game is good enough and offers enough of a change from standard MMO combat that it will have long term success. 
  • Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    LOL, the gameplay is nothing like WoW, tab target ability games are though.

While it's true that if you want to complete all or most quests they will be basic it's amazing you have the choice to do them. Plus, TERA is not based around just questing. There is a lot of group content and a big world to explore.

Add with that a great combat system and great art design this game will be around a long time due to it's quality alone.

If you don't believe me look at some of the Argon videos and tell me there is an enemy fiercer!

Just not worth my time anymore.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I have to point out that different classes have different challenges to overcome during combat. I primarily played an archer during the past weekend beta. There is no way I could be chain pulling mobs and survive at 90% health unless I out leveled them.

When you use a generalization such as this to found a point you are being dismissive and misleading. As a lancer you could round up lots of mobs, but I bet you would not find it so easy using the range classes.

I enjoyed the game and found it challenging and engaging to a degree. Some aspects are not for everyone.

As far as the rooting while casting skills situations, I also would like to have a bit more control over some of those situations.

As an archer, a couple of the skills require charging  which allows those mobs to close distance really quickly. It is very important for an archer to avoid those mobs for obvious reasons. I would not want instant casts per se, but some form of dodge skill that is instant cast would be nice so I can get that distance again (with in reason) would be helpful. Many fights I had involved my character running around in circles using basic skills because standing still to cast anything was often instant death.

I adjusted to the different mobs, I found success in most circumstances but I also understand that tank and dps classes have an easier time with rooted skill casting over range classes, *IF*, rooting allows the mob to close the distance. While my cast takes 2 to 3 seconds to attack and up to 1 second to finish the animation that mob or group of mobs will have me surrounded. This is an example and maybe not an accurate one, but one taken from my memory but it illustrates a different point of view. Keeping that range is a challenge all on its own without any combat at all. You can't just keep dodgeing backwards or you risk chaining the whole area. That is instant doom for an archer. The action combat felt inactive at times because I could only use certain skills under specific circumstances without risking my life.  

If I were to sub to this game, I would likely re-roll to a dps class or tank class. Most people I have talked with have had more fun with those classes than the one I chose. I understand the end game difference and even the time invested in gear, glyphs, and enchants etc. The fact remains though that not every class is super cool, fun and amazingly easy to play while chaining mobs. My experience was far from that.

• DiabloRocksDiabloRocks Member Posts: 29
    Can't wait for tomorrow, all I can say is a smooth beta will translate into a smooth launch, unlike that other game that people can't even play atm lol
  • Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by chefdiablo

I have to point out that different classes have different challenges to overcome during combat. I primarily played an archer during the past weekend beta. There is no way I could be chain pulling mobs and survive at 90% health unless I out leveled them.

When you use a generalization such as this to found a point you are being dismissive and misleading. As a lancer you could round up lots of mobs, but I bet you would not find it so easy using the range classes.

I enjoyed the game and found it challenging and engaging to a degree. Some aspects are not for everyone.

As far as the rooting while casting skills situations, I also would like to have a bit more control over some of those situations.

As an archer, a couple of the skills require charging  which allows those mobs to close distance really quickly. It is very important for an archer to avoid those mobs for obvious reasons. I would not want instant casts per se, but some form of dodge skill that is instant cast would be nice so I can get that distance again (with in reason) would be helpful. Many fights I had involved my character running around in circles using basic skills because standing still to cast anything was often instant death.

I adjusted to the different mobs, I found success in most circumstances but I also understand that tank and dps classes have an easier time with rooted skill casting over range classes, *IF*, rooting allows the mob to close the distance. While my cast takes 2 to 3 seconds to attack and up to 1 second to finish the animation that mob or group of mobs will have me surrounded. This is an example and maybe not an accurate one, but one taken from my memory but it illustrates a different point of view. Keeping that range is a challenge all on its own without any combat at all. You can't just keep dodgeing backwards or you risk chaining the whole area. That is instant doom for an archer. The action combat felt inactive at times because I could only use certain skills under specific circumstances without risking my life.  

If I were to sub to this game, I would likely re-roll to a dps class or tank class. Most people I have talked with have had more fun with those classes than the one I chose. I understand the end game difference and even the time invested in gear, glyphs, and enchants etc. The fact remains though that not every class is super cool, fun and amazingly easy to play while chaining mobs. My experience was far from that.

I'm going to assume you were >20? I only say this because you get a skill that allows you to charge on the run around that level.  I played an Archer and thought it was really fun though you are right about >2 mobs bringing a serious chance to die.  I was 13 I think and I had one dodge(backward), one blow back shot that jumped me the same distance back and a conal (or aoe?) melee ability that has a big chance to stun.  Between those things most mobs didn't give me too much trouble.  You might have been fighting orange/red cons though, I was mostly white/orange.

If you want mobility and the ability to fight a pack Warriors are nice.  They are always moving, always.  They wear leather and though they get defensive abilities tied to some attacks they typically die from about 4 hits from a BAM equal level.  They are really fun tanks if you know how to play them.

Just not worth my time anymore.