Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most notorious MMORPG devs

mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Lets discuss who among MMO developers are most famous for their failures. 

1. Brad Mcquaid - head of Sigil Games. Guilty for being away from his office almost all the times, bad management and as a result leading his company to disaster with Vanguard.

2. Gaute Godager - didnt fulfil to his AoC promises, couldnt overcome alot of game problems upon release and soon retired from his position of AoC lead.

3. Derek Smart - guilty for making some terrible games like BC3000, Universal Combat, and for trashtalking during his whole career.

4. ?

Comments

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Lets discuss who among MMO developers are most famous for their failures. 

1. Brad Mcquaid - head of Sigil Games. Guilty for being away from his office almost all the times, bad management and as a result leading his company to disaster with Vanguard.

2. Gaute Godager - didnt fulfil to his AoC promises, couldnt overcome alot of game problems upon release and soon retired from his position of AoC lead.

3. Derek Smart - guilty for making some terrible games like BC3000, Universal Combat, and for trashtalking during his whole career.

4. ?

I Vote Derek Smart for all the wrong reasons.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Tasos Flambouras FTW

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Gaute, if only because the day he left things got better with AOC.

It was already too late of course, but it just goes to show.

I'd also like to add:

- Ghostcrawler (smug and confident, yet keeps making mistakes)

- Daniel Erickson / Georg Zoeller (for his total incompetence and dishonesty with SWTOR)

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Smedley all the way.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

SWTOR's Daniel Erickson and his terrible guide on "what players really want".

This guy is a world class idiot.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Greg Street (Ghostcrawler) for completely destroying WoW especially most recently in Cataclysm. Seriously, why would anyone put a marine biologist in charge of a multimillion dollar game is beyond me. Then he insults fans by only including a new feature every once in a while only when they've lost subscriptions.
  • sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I think anyone who says anything other than Brad McQuaid either hasn't been playing MMOs very long or doesn't have a very good memory.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Originally posted by mmoDAD

SWTOR's Daniel Erickson and his terrible guide on "what players really want".

This guy is a world class idiot.

having trouble locating this, any help would be appreciated.

would like to read it before i cast my vote :P

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by itgrowls

Greg Street (Ghostcrawler) for completely destroying WoW especially most recently in Cataclysm. Seriously, why would anyone put a marine biologist in charge of a multimillion dollar game is beyond me. Then he insults fans by only including a new feature every once in a while only when they've lost subscriptions.

Cata was designed in mine, to appeal to low level players that never reached endgame before. Since most new players never make it past level 10. This is why they put so much focus on lower level content at the sacrific of endgame content.

This plan backfired on them. Because truth is, no matter what they do, those low levels won't level to endgame. Far too boring.

This is why Blizzard added the SoR promotion. Notiice, that to use the SoR, you had to already have an older account. Aka those players that never made it past level 10, have older accounts, and now they can skip to endgame content to skip to the fun stuff.

WoW need serious big changes. The low level stuff need to be scrapped IMO, from a game design point of view.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by sirphobos

I think anyone who says anything other than Brad McQuaid either hasn't been playing MMOs very long or doesn't have a very good memory.

He did a bunch of high quality at the time EQ stuff before it got bought outright before Sony,  He was perhaps the guy who started developing MMO raiding content and sleeper's awakaning still sticks out in my mind for top all time MMO content.  So he gets a pass by me, am supprised his own MMO released so poorly. 

Often times it isn't so much the developer but the developer's boss, publisher, investor who really destroys the game.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by tares

Originally posted by sirphobos

He did a bunch of high quality at the time EQ stuff before it got bought outright before Sony,  He was perhaps the guy who started developing MMO raiding content and sleeper's awakaning still sticks out in my mind for top all time MMO content.  So he gets a pass by me, am supprised his own MMO released so poorly. 

Often times it isn't so much the developer but the developer's boss, publisher, investor who really destroys the game.

Sony was who hired him in the first place.  Everquest was always Semdley's baby, and Semd is the one who made the call to hire Brad.  Everquest was only not owned by Sony for a couple of months (between launch and Kunark).

EQ classic was released by 989 studio.  Kunark was released by SoE.  The story of SoE is a complicated mess and just shows how terrible Sony (parent company) is.

But for anyone who doubts EQ was controlled by Sony day 1, remember one of the two main cities is Sony Eq spelled backwards...

• Florence52Florence52 Member Posts: 5
    It is good!