Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

193000 persons used anet forums to inspect beta download instructions.

frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

This number is taken from anet own forum 

As it was the preliminary and necesary step to download the client (barring the persons who used the unofficial torrent) , thats the closest number we are going to get to an official  figure of beta event participants. Assuming 90% of participants employed the legit download and only 10 % the torrent (a conservative approach) that  would put numbers of prepurchases around 220 k.

It could all be bogus, ofc. 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by freston

As it was the preliminary and necesary step to download the client (barring the persons who used the unofficial torrent) , thats the closest number we are going to get to an official  figure of beta event participants. Assuming 90% of participants employed the legit download and only 10 % the torrent (a conservative approach) that  would put numbers of prepurchases around 220 k.

not everyone had to browse tthrough the forums to see how to download the client.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Originally posted by rojo6934

not everyone had to browse tthrough the forums to see how to download the client.

You had to if you followed the instructions on the email. You are right in that not everyone did it, im assuming that most did. It may be my mistake, though.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I'll bet it's close. I would have guessed a little more, but 200k or so seems in the ballpark.
  • PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267
    figured that number would be higher.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Sounds about right for the "first" public beta event.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    We can expect at least 250k people with access to beta. That's not so bad imo.
  • RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    The client got leaked almost a day before the email, i don't know how much people got it directly from the Anet servers though.
  • jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

There is more  to ponder on

the around 40.000 german views

and the 30.000 french

(and i think we can asume that they are not included in the english thread)

there is the ones that have actual just updated the game without going to the forums

there is the claim that if you log out and in again the counter goes up 1 (hard to verify , it doesn't  always go up if you review that threaed without logging out).

--

if we estimate that the last 2 things (one positive and one negative) cancel each other . The germen, french and english forum is around 250000 now, and might reach close to 300.000 before the weekend.

Btw there is 48 servers , 6000 on each means around 288.000 -

looks like a fair number

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by rojo6934

I downloaded the client when someone posted a link to the EXE here on MMORPG.com.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Originally posted by jondifool

There is more  to ponder on

the around 40.000 german views

and the 30.000 french

(and i think we can asume that they are not included in the english thread)

there is the ones that have actual just updated the game without going to the forums

there is the claim that if you log out and in again the counter goes up 1 (hard to verify , it doesn't  always go up if you review that threaed without logging out).

--

if we estimate that the last 2 things (one positive and one negative) cancel each other . The germen, french and english forum is around 250000 now, and might reach close to 300.000 before the weekend.

Btw there is 48 servers , 6000 on each means around 288.000 -

looks like a fair number

Youre right about the french and german forums, hadnt taken that into account.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I don't trust anyone or especially anything on the internet thank you very much - official sources only please, especially when it comes to .exe's I cannot believe so many people are so freaking reckless.

Must not work in IT like I do lol or perhaps are just a lot more ballsy

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    The number of server is quiet big also for a first beta event, i don't know how loaded they are planned to be, but that can also be a way to estimate the number of player. 48 servers, thats quiet a big number for a first event imo.
  • jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by BadSpock

I don't trust anyone or especially anything on the internet thank you very much - official sources only please, especially when it comes to .exe's I cannot believe so many people are so freaking reckless.

don't you think a counter on ArenaNets site is "kind of official" ? Just asking what it else should be. Manipulated ?

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565
    are the official forums currently up? i can't access them for some reason... Stuck at the welcome screen.

Hype train -> Reality

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263
    No idea of the number, but arround 250k for a beta event i guess would be good.
  • RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

are the official forums currently up? i can't access them for some reason... Stuck at the welcome screen.

I can acess it with np.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

My thoughts exactly when I saw people using unofficial DL's. too much potential for viruses not to mention stolen accounts and PW's.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MorydinMorydin Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by Distopia

My thoughts exactly when I saw people using unofficial DL's. too much potential for viruses not to mention stolen accounts and PW's.

I am not sure why anyone would have used a torrent because there was a working download link to the official clouldfront.guildwars2.com servers leaked almost a full 3 days before the emails went out.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by jondifool

don't you think a counter on ArenaNets site is "kind of official" ? Just asking what it else should be. Manipulated ?

I think it is important to remember those are "Views" much like the 10,000 posts or GW2 thread the views were many more times the posts. Eg. I read all those GW2 forum posts at least twice. Therefore Views are not really indicative of "persons used anet forums"

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Distopia

I don't know why anyone would download via a torrent when the link that's going around the internet links directly to the file hosted on guildwars2.com.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

The forum is limited to the news section, which is linked near the bottom of the welcome page, atm.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Over 200k views now
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by Thomson

The math is easy.

English: 203738 views

German: 42217 views

French: 32593 views

Total: 278.548 views

If you log out or your sessions runs out and you login again, your views count double.

(tested during earlier events with way lower access rate to the forums)

Some people downloaded the client from a direct link or torrent.

Direct link was pretty safe because it came directly from the guildwars2 domain.

So this is what we have.

278k views

- double views

+ missed views

My best guess is anything above 250k which is a really good number for a first beta

weekend especially when the game has no set release date yet and you have to pay full.

Yeah im thinking the same thing 250k i reckon was the first BWE number, 2nd one will prob be 500k if not more.

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by sanshi44

Originally posted by Thomson

The math is easy.

English: 203738 views

German: 42217 views

French: 32593 views

Total: 278.548 views

If you log out or your sessions runs out and you login again, your views count double.

(tested during earlier events with way lower access rate to the forums)

Some people downloaded the client from a direct link or torrent.

Direct link was pretty safe because it came directly from the guildwars2 domain.

So this is what we have.

278k views

- double views

+ missed views

My best guess is anything above 250k which is a really good number for a first beta

weekend especially when the game has no set release date yet and you have to pay full.

Yeah im thinking the same thing 250k i reckon was the first BWE number, 2nd one will prob be 500k if not more.

Don't see it doubling. Those on the fence (like myself) aren't going to be swayed to go ahead and pre order now based off of either trolls or drama fanboi write ups.