Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm still not convinced by the Guild Wars 2 hype.

Comments

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Originally posted by EatMyVeggies

This is not HYPE. People have played it. Independent game reviewers (not media sites)  said it is good and it lives up to its promises. HYPE is what you would say about the so called "titan" or the "elder scrolls mmo". No news whatsoever about them and already people are screaming like 12yo schoolgirls. 

I repeat: This is not hype, it's word of mouth, and it's a result of the game's very good reviews from seasoned people. If you are not well informed about the game, which the majority of you people who create this kind of crappy threads, do not go on a rant like "im still not convinced". It sounds very ignorant and you make a fool of yourself. 

I think we've beat this to death already...verdict: you're incorrect

No, he's pretty much correct. I can say with full confidence that this game is not over-hyped. Everything promised is being delivered.

No, you are incorrect...he never said it was overhyped. he said it wasnt hyped at all

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by Volkon

This is not HYPE. People have played it. Independent game reviewers (not media sites)  said it is good and it lives up to its promises. HYPE is what you would say about the so called "titan" or the "elder scrolls mmo". No news whatsoever about them and already people are screaming like 12yo schoolgirls. 

I repeat: This is not hype, it's word of mouth, and it's a result of the game's very good reviews from seasoned people. If you are not well informed about the game, which the majority of you people who create this kind of crappy threads, do not go on a rant like "im still not convinced". It sounds very ignorant and you make a fool of yourself. 

I think we've beat this to death already...verdict: you're incorrect

No, he's pretty much correct. I can say with full confidence that this game is not over-hyped. Everything promised is being delivered.

No, you are incorrect...he never said it was overhyped. he said it wasnt hyped at all

LOL OP of this tread makes a post and then lets all you just fight over the word hype, and he has yet to return to the thread, I think he won so you all can stop now.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by Velocinox

You don't understand the definition of hype. It doesn't matter if it is true, it doesn't matter if it is from experience. ANY positive word of mouth prior to a product becoming widely avaialble is hype.

People have heard the new band's CD and they think it is GREAT <- HYPE

The critic reviews are in on the movie opening on Friday and they say the action scenes are trippin! <- HYPE

The beta testers are leaking to the forums everything about the game is true and its going to be wild fun! <- HYPE

Hype sucks. It's just a whirlwind that makes people feed off of anticipation. It's not only when the good news is a lie, it's also all MASSIVE OVERKILL OF POSITIVE INFORMATION. this is the part that sucks. the MASSIVE part of it. Logging on and seeing how GW2 will blow everyone away is great. Loggin on and seeing that EVERYDAY for 16 months, blows.

I dont think Hype sucks.  And I dont think hype can 'make' people do anything.  I think it is a social engine of excitement that can feed upon itself but its up to the individual to evaluate it. Determine if its true or makes sense (to you).  And yes I do believe it influences people, but I have no control over that no more than I could read someone's mind.

Saying GW2 will blow everyone away - yeah, I throw statements like that right out the window.  We dont know. But I can see where the comment is coming from.  And I guess that aspect of hype I dont particularly care for, but also dont know how it would/could be stopped.

I think the metrics here is simply showing how BIG of a game this is expected to be.  Personally I like that feeling and I evaluate that to mean this is something I want to learn more about.  It also makes me question why TERA or TSW dont have the same excitement?  Its interesting where public opinion sways.  What is GW2 "hyping" that the others arent?

Just because I like the Hype=Excitement. Doesnt mean I feed into it.  As a software architect myself I know exactly how software can EASILY fail to meet the expectations.  The key is to understand what you are looking for the product to deliver, then to be realistic about its execution of that delivery.

I expect to have fun with Dynamic Events in GW2.  But I also know they will eventually repeat and show the same event again. Why should I hate/denounce the game due to that known limitation of software? I would miss out on what they were trying to deliver.

Also if you had the power - what would you put in place of this 'HYPE?'  - Trying to understand how you have fun without excitement.  But that could be just me.

• LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171

“Don't believe the hype!”

Watch that sketch, H.L. perfectly portraying every single funboy here. ;)

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by tixylix

*snip*

....So every once in a while, I get all excited about a game. What inevitably happens is I start chatting up to my buddies why they should get the game too (I have already done this with GW2.) They are reluctant at first, because I convince them to buy games all the time, but eventually they succum and buy in. I play with them for a few months and move on to another game and they are usually shocked and disappointed, as it was me who talked them into it in the first place. I don't feel I'm doing them a diservice as we all have fun, but they get the idea that I "hyped" the game.

So I ask you OP, are you really upset at GW2? or are you just upset that you bought into it once again?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Leodious

Except this isn't hype, and it's never been hype.

What Funcom is doing with The Secret World is hype. What people who have played the game are doing with Guild Wars 2 is not hype. It is regular people who have played the game being really excited about it.

Err, what?

there is no hype regarding gw2?

No, he isn't saying that... you missed his point.

He is saying that your defintion of hype is wrong.

Me? I say 'hype' has many interpretations, not all of them negative;

hype 1 (himagep) Slang

n.

1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial.

2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material: "It is pure hype, a gigantic PR job" (Saturday Review).

3. An advertising or promotional ploy: "Some restaurant owners in town are cooking up a $75,000 hype to promote New York as 'Restaurant City, U.S.A.'" (New York).

4. Something deliberately misleading; a deception: "[He] says that there isn't any energy crisis at all, that it's all a hype, to maintain outrageous profits for the oil companies" (Joel Oppenheimer).

I would say GW2 is probably guily of 1, but definitely not 2 or 4.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

All I'm gonna say is this is post #186 in a thread where the OP has yet to reply....

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• DranzDranz Member Posts: 6

Oho, I got ninja'd. Well played sir, well played.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Vesavius

What Funcom is doing with The Secret World is hype. What people who have played the game are doing with Guild Wars 2 is not hype. It is regular people who have played the game being really excited about it.

Err, what?

hype 1 (himagep) Slang

n.

1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial.

2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material: "It is pure hype, a gigantic PR job" (Saturday Review).

3. An advertising or promotional ploy: "Some restaurant owners in town are cooking up a $75,000 hype to promote New York as 'Restaurant City, U.S.A.'" (New York).

4. Something deliberately misleading; a deception: "[He] says that there isn't any energy crisis at all, that it's all a hype, to maintain outrageous profits for the oil companies" (Joel Oppenheimer).

err, what?

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

hype 1 (himagep) Slang

n.

One doesn't need to meet all of the definitions to require the word to be valid. It's 1 of the definitions, therefor it has hype, negating the poster saying it has none.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Err, what?

hype 1 (himagep) Slang

n.

err, what?

lol... image

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    I dont think Hype sucks.  And I dont think hype can 'make' people do anything.  I think it is a social engine of excitement that can feed upon itself but its up to the individual to evaluate it. Determine if its true or makes sense (to you).  And yes I do believe it influences people, but I have no control over that no more than I could read someone's mind.
    Saying GW2 will blow everyone away - yeah, I throw statements like that right out the window.  We dont know. But I can see where the comment is coming from.  And I guess that aspect of hype I dont particularly care for, but also dont know how it would/could be stopped.
    I think the metrics here is simply showing how BIG of a game this is expected to be.  Personally I like that feeling and I evaluate that to mean this is something I want to learn more about.  It also makes me question why TERA or TSW dont have the same excitement?  Its interesting where public opinion sways.  What is GW2 "hyping" that the others arent?
    Just because I like the Hype=Excitement. Doesnt mean I feed into it.  As a software architect myself I know exactly how software can EASILY fail to meet the expectations.  The key is to understand what you are looking for the product to deliver, then to be realistic about its execution of that delivery.
    I expect to have fun with Dynamic Events in GW2.  But I also know they will eventually repeat and show the same event again. Why should I hate/denounce the game due to that known limitation of software? I would miss out on what they were trying to deliver.
    Also if you had the power - what would you put in place of this 'HYPE?'  - Trying to understand how you have fun without excitement.  But that could be just me.

I do believe hype can make people do things. Any form of mob mentality can make them do things they would not otherwise do. This much is well know in sociology. Specific to internet hype though, it generally just feeds on itself. Someone sees a group of people celebrating something, they want to join in, so they go get some bit of information to ass to it to get acceptance and generate more of that positive buzz.

What this does is create a very low S/N. People are willing to add whatever they can find, or in some cases make up to get the frenzy going stronger. Which leads to inaccurate information and the popular belief that hype is the dame as lies. (as we have seen right here in this thread by some of the posters making that mistake)

But even when the hype is predominantly accurate, it wears the targets thin, so that all new information on other products is met with cynicism. (again as we have seen in this very thread) That makes the marketing departments and their ancillary support organs (such as MMORPG itself) work even hard to make their hype more poignant and have more volume than those other guys that used it to lie, or even just their legitamate competitors. This creates a further numbing effect which makes the marketing folks push harder, and we get more cynical, ad infinitum Eventually the process becomes a background of droning advertisements like a TV tuned to an all commercial channel.

If we look at this as an equation and reduce it to its base form it works out to be zero. We know what games we are going to follow. We know when they are released. The hype storm becomes simply something to do until that time comes. While it would be far more productive to do something (almost anything) else.

As far as what would I put in its place if I had the power? I DO have the power, and what I put in its place is productive effort (yea I know, boring, so I'll save you the preachiness and just mention the fun things I do with the reclaimed time) I try out independent games I wouldn't have tried (Legend of Grimrock, Sword and Sworcery), I complete games that I didn't have time for due to work or other (boring) personal advancement.

But even when I come across the new unknown games, it's not because of hype, but usually because I go in search of the title under what I would like to play at that time. So, hype or not, I still found the game I am interested in, and best of all I didn't think about it from announcement to release! :)

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by Velocinox

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I do believe hype can make people do things. Any form of mob mentality can make them do things they would not otherwise do. This much is well know in sociology. Specific to internet hype though, it generally just feeds on itself. Someone sees a group of people celebrating something, they want to join in, so they go get some bit of information to ass to it to get acceptance and generate more of that positive buzz.

What this does is create a very low S/N. People are willing to add whatever they can find, or in some cases make up to get the frenzy going stronger. Which leads to inaccurate information and the popular belief that hype is the dame as lies. (as we have seen right here in this thread by some of the posters making that mistake)

But even when the hype is predominantly accurate, it wears the targets thin, so that all new information on other products is met with cynicism. (again as we have seen in this very thread) That makes the marketing departments and their ancillary support organs (such as MMORPG itself) work even hard to make their hype more poignant and have more volume than those other guys that used it to lie, or even just their legitamate competitors. This creates a further numbing effect which makes the marketing folks push harder, and we get more cynical, ad infinitum Eventually the process becomes a background of droning advertisements like a TV tuned to an all commercial channel.

If we look at this as an equation and reduce it to its base form it works out to be zero. We know what games we are going to follow. We know when they are released. The hype storm becomes simply something to do until that time comes. While it would be far more productive to do something (almost anything) else.

As far as what would I put in its place if I had the power? I DO have the power, and what I put in its place is productive effort (yea I know, boring, so I'll save you the preachiness and just mention the fun things I do with the reclaimed time) I try out independent games I wouldn't have tried (Legend of Grimrock, Sword and Sworcery), I complete games that I didn't have time for due to work or other (boring) personal advancement.

But even when I come across the new unknown games, it's not because of hype, but usually because I go in search of the title under what I would like to play at that time. So, hype or not, I still found the game I am interested in, and best of all I didn't think about it from announcement to release! :)

Well said. I agree.  Exactly how I found my F2P anime-inspired games.  Definitely no hype around those :-)

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Convinced by Hype?

Wtf?   How can you be convinced by hype.

You can be convinced by features or facts.

Hype can create emotional urge to buy & play , but it cannot convict a person.

Two difdrent things. Even if result would be similar.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

In just a day or two, the web is going to be flooded by vids of people playing the Beta. 

After that I dont want to hear the word "hype" associated with this game anymore.  Either you are excited for what you see or you are not.  Hype wont even apply and it barely does now if at all. 

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407
    Please stay on topic and do not personally attack other users.
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Corehaven

In just a day or two, the web is going to be flooded by vids of people playing the Beta. 

After that I dont want to hear the word "hype" associated with this game anymore.  Either you are excited for what you see or you are not.  Hype wont even apply and it barely does now if at all. 

so basically more hype? got it.

Originally posted by Nevulus

I dont think that word means what you think it means. 

Hype is speculation.   Game play videos are examples.  Getting excited about them or otherwise when watching is a matter of opinion based on evidence shown. 

In other words, thats not hype. 

Getting excited for Christmas about what you might getting when your parents tell you, and your sister tells you that you are getting good stuff is hype.  Peaking inside the closet and looking at your presents un wrapped and then getting excited about what you KNOW you are getting is validation. 

Such is the upcoming beta weekend.  Evidence, example, fact.   Hype?  No.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Hype is speculation.   Game play videos are examples.  Getting excited about them or otherwise when watching is a matter of opinion based on evidence shown. 

Getting excited for Christmas about what you might getting when your parents tell you, and your sister tells you that you are getting good stuff is hype.  Peaking inside the closet and looking at your presents un wrapped and then getting excited about what you KNOW you are getting is validation. 

vids don't let you experience the game in a meaningful way.  People had no idea what a turd swtor was despite plenty of vids.  So it's still hype.  Using exciting snippets and opinions, and feature lists, and promises to hype people up.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    To me it's easy. I don't buy into much any of it one way or the other. I'll play it and make judgement and that will be it for me. I hope it's great and all, but it will have to earn it. I'm not convinced, yet.
  • LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by whisperwynd

Originally posted by pags411
    I think you're confusing hype with marketing.  Hype can be loosely described as an exaggerated sense of the impact a product will have.  Marketing is about presenting information to buyers in a very specific way that will make them more likely to experience the product.  Notice that only one of those two definitions contains the word "information" in it.

You can't actually say that the "hype" surrounding GW2 isn't based off of the amount of information available to a large number of potential buyers.  Spend 15 minutes on their website and you'll find more information about their product that you can find on some websites of products that are already available for public consumption.
    I'm not confused, 'hype' whether it's propagated by word of mouth or marketing wizards both have the same effect, to lure the reader, vid watcher etc to try this thing.
    Hype has information, and like on these forums it's always a debate as to whether it's factual or not. Hype can be just a feeling created by an outside source, be it free or paid by the company, to buy the game, car, whatever.

I suppose it comes down to my impressions of the underlying meaning of hype.

To me, hype is when media or companies promote a game with things like Funcom is, or with cinematics instead of raw gameplay footage. To be sure, there is some hype from Anet for Guild Wars 2 — The Destiny's Edge video and the manifesto and the like. But most of the "hype" is coming from players, from gamers who have actually played the game and think it is amazing. To me, that's not hype. That's word-of-mouth references for the quality of a game. I don't put stock in media reviews or what a company says about their game and how it is revolutionary. I do put stock in what other players say about a game they have played.

So, I suppose we can call it hype if you like. It is still a very different thing from what most companies do, and the "hype" from most games before they are released.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758
    If you think the 'hype' is bad now, wait until everyone has had a weekend of playing the game. The 'hype' will be through the roof.
  • VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Originally posted by tixylix

Everything about the build up to this game reminds me of every other MMO that has come out since WoW and failed. It's always the media going "how amazing is this" because they go to some controlled event and are told by the developer why this and that feature are so innovative. Then you get to play the game and realise the smoke and mirrors behind that feature and realise it isn't so great. I bet this "dynamic" content isn't so dynamic when the game is released, people get to play for longer and get bored and see patterns in it. PC Gamer even said it seems rather scripted in their playthrough of GW2 and didn't seem that enthusiastic about it.

Everything is warning me off like the horrible choice of races, I think they all look like they came from an Asian MMO such as AION, Tera, Arche Age or Lineage etc. They have that horrible rabbit looking race which annoys me, it's like what Final Fantasy does with some small midget race to try and be "cute" because I guess the culture over there loves that stuff. Then you have how you teleport all over the world, which really breaks the immersion for me and just feels more like a game than a world. You had them stupid looking teleport doorways which I don't understand why they're a colour in  wall.... looks more placeholder to me. They could just have a doorway where you can see into the next zone so it feels a bit more immersive. 

The worst thing of all is I thing all the classes really bland, I've watched countless videos of them all and everyone praising them for being so amazing and unique and yet they all sort of look the same. I mean without the "trinity" they all do the same thing and they don't really look all that unique either. When you play TF2 you even have a trinity and every character is really unique and sticks out. You have your favourite class but you love to play them all because they all have their own personality and are really different. You have the DPS classes, the tank classes and the healer but the difference is you don't need the trinity to win because it is twitch based so it requires skill to win. 

Every MMO where I've found the classes to look really bland, I find that I don't like it. I just end up levelling 4 or 5 characters to level 20 before realising I hate them all, they all feel watered down or the same and just get bored and quit. The best MMO for classes was WoW, every class felt so unique, so fun to play and they all looked different, you could tell what class someone was playing just by looking at them in a split second. I found myself playing every class because I loved them all and not because I was struggling to find one I liked.

There are no mounts which are something everyone likes to get, they're the ultimate loot and running around everywhere is so much more fun with a mount. There is no open PVP either, it's all battleground based like SWTOR was where you have them calling Ilum as World PVP when it isn't because it isn't...

I just find the whole game bland really, the story just doesn't excite me, the world just looks rather generic and the art style just looks like another generic fantasy Asian MMO. Yet I pre ordered the game because I've been waiting since 2005 for an MMO I liked, I even bought Dark and Light back in the day even though it looked like crap, people were hyping that game up massively too lol. 

Guess I'll see on Friday, though I bet I'll hate it and it'll be more money down the drain.... only good news is the login screen is nice lol. I hope I eat my words and it's the best MMO since WoW. It's just all the fans as well saying how amazing it is that makes me think even more that it isn't. Every MMO it's the same story where either they're excited to be the only ones in beta so they feel part of a club and have to defend it or they believe the media hype who only get to see it in controlled bursts. They always drive players away as well when they claim that everything they say is wrong.

Like I said I hope on Friday I'm eating my words.

I hope that too ^.^.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• PanteraRosaPanteraRosa Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by Greyhooff

To be fair, he does have a point.

GW2 is hyped like crazy and that's never been a good thing in the past. Better to be realistic about it.

Might just be me but all MMOs seem a bit rubbish now. WoW is in major decline, SWTOR is dying super-fast, Rift is kind of meh, Tera just doesn't seem like it can be huge like WoW was, AOC LOTRO CoH etc are kind of stale...

So naturally everyone is looking to GW2 to give them that "first MMO" feeling again. And that's just not realistic.

Back to the Cup and Ball!!

Originally posted by adam_nox

vids don't let you experience the game in a meaningful way.  People had no idea what a turd swtor was despite plenty of vids.  So it's still hype.  Using exciting snippets and opinions, and feature lists, and promises to hype people up.

Yea but playing it does and vids can give an idea of whats there.  And as far as Swtor, yea I knew.  Just from vids.  Did play a beta and knew so even further.  Never did buy it.  Never will. 

Of course when the people who have actually played it this weekend come and give their opinions you'll call that hype too.  Then if the game releases and gets any kind of praise from critics or players that will be called hype.  Then a year later if people are still excited about it and enjoying you'll call that hype too. 

In the end excitement for anything = hype.  Period.  As if thats some sort of negative thing.  If you are excited for a game you're a fanboy.  If you dislike a game you're a hater.  And then there's the supposed "hype".  Hype.  Hype.  Hype.  I swear if I could get through one thread without reading that stupid word it would be a bleeding miracle.