Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too little and way too late

zest007zest007 Member UncommonPosts: 18

Well its finally here swotr in israel, sure many of u cant care less but tbh i had high hopes for this game before all the crappy announcements:

1. origin.

2. no release in israel and many other countries on launch.

Time passed and when all the information started to flow about how disappointing the game is i even was relieved and almost forgot all about it (guild wars 2 had a lot to do with that). Then suddenly today i get notified that swtor is available in my region.

The sad truth is if i could get it on launch day i would have but now hell no.

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I still say it is worth a purchase long as you don't plan on it being anything long term past two to three months. Least for me it was.

Unless your main focus is PvP.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I still say it is worth a purchase long as you don't plan on it being anything long term past two to three months. Least for me it was.

Two to three months? I didn't last two to three WEEKS! Once you hit the mid 20's you realise you've seen everything you're going to see, only the locations are going to change, plus the story if that's something you're interested in. Which I wasn't. Because it wasn't a story. It was basically the wall of text from other MMO's just spoken to you, while giving you the illusion of choice. There is no choice, none of your conversation choices matter, nothing you choose to do matters. It's not like a Bioware single player game where your choices affect the world around you, they're simply using the same cut scene method as from those games.

So you're left with a massively multiplayer game which is neither massive thanks to instancing or multiplayer as 95% of the content is soloable, with Bioware choices that aren't really choices. It's like watching a movie where after every scene you're forced to perform a mindless task for ten minutes before they'll start the movie again. But it's not really a good movie either. It's B movie standard. With poor acting.

Ah, got that off my chest. Don't waste your time with this game. Seriously.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Agree, I enjoyed leveling up but after the 1st month at lvl 50 that was enough for me, Biggest MMO disappointment ever.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

IMO your statement is true under 2 conditions:

1. If you get the game for under 20€ (19.99€ also counts, though a reasonable price to pay would be 9.99€).

2. You never plan to subscribe to it. I just doesn't justify subscription model.

People keep saying it's a good game, which it isn't. Reminds me of Ocean franchising games where you take something really generic that could've been any game and make it the title you paid for.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by zest007

Well its finally here swotr in israel, sure many of u cant care less but tbh i had high hopes for this game before all the crappy announcements:

1. origin.

Time passed and when all the information started to flow about how disappointing the game is i even was relieved and almost forgot all about it (guild wars 2 had a lot to do with that). Then suddenly today i get notified that swtor is available in my region.

You were lucky, ya saved your money. It's an OK single player game but it's far from an mmo. Someone described it well on the swtor forums one day. It's a crap attempt at Kotr 3 with a chatbox.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

1. origin.

Oy!

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

Two to three months? I didn't last two to three WEEKS! Once you hit the mid 20's you realise you've seen everything you're going to see, only the locations are going to change, plus the story if that's something you're interested in. Which I wasn't. Because it wasn't a story. It was basically the wall of text from other MMO's just spoken to you, while giving you the illusion of choice. 

Obviously, that's not true.  You could say, "Once you reach level 20, you'll feel as though you've seen the whole game, ummm, except for the locations and story" about any MMO out there.  That's kind of a silly statement to make.  The location and storyline (if there is one) are always going to be what changes as you advance in the game.  This applies to any game.  

You are correct about the illusion of choice, however.  There simply wasn't much more choice in this game than you'd get in any other.  Even less than in other games, truth be told. Bioware really boxed themselves into a corner with their story, and it affected the entire game.  But the story WAS better than any other MMO I've played (with the possible exception of LOTRO).  If you don't care about story and lore, as you already stated, then of course the game wouldn't have been fun for you in any capacity.  

Still...most people who have played the game got a solid 2-3 months enjoyment out of it.  Myself included.  So, even though I was overall disappointed in how the game turned out, I'd say it was worth the money I spent on it to begin with.  

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Obviously, that's not true.  You could say, "Once you reach level 20, you'll feel as though you've seen the whole game, ummm, except for the locations and story" about any MMO out there.  That's kind of a silly statement to make.  The location and storyline (if there is one) are always going to be what changes as you advance in the game.  This applies to any game.  

The difference is the gameplay doesn't change, you're just grabbing a quest, fighting through a mass of static mobs, clicking a button somewhere, then returning through those same mass of static mobs who have respawned and going back to the quest giver. While this sort of thing is common in MMO's, I've never seen it done so.. clinically.. as in TOR. It's like it flashes up a banner saying, "THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING!", rather than hiding the grind behind other things. 

I think I blame it mostly on the static, lifeless worlds, they're just not conducive to having an immersive experience, it brings you out of the world and makes you realise that all you're doing is running back and fore and chasing a story line.

You are correct about the illusion of choice, however.  There simply wasn't much more choice in this game than you'd get in any other.  Even less than in other games, truth be told. Bioware really boxed themselves into a corner with their story, and it affected the entire game.  But the story WAS better than any other MMO I've played (with the possible exception of LOTRO).  If you don't care about story and lore, as you already stated, then of course the game wouldn't have been fun for you in any capacity.  

LOTRO was a great game, until they dumbed it down into a more single player experience. I liked the story and lore in LOTR, really liked the cutscenes in that game during book quests, it's the first time I'd seen something like that in an MMO. TOR's story was pretty boring though. The majority of the 'story' was just quest givers speaking the usual wall of text from other MMO's, while the main story I just found lacking. I was especially disappointed when my Smuggler finally got her ship back only to find the next load of quests was some dumb treasure hunt. I quit that class not long after as with no interest in the story I didn't see the point.

Still...most people who have played the game got a solid 2-3 months enjoyment out of it.  Myself included.  So, even though I was overall disappointed in how the game turned out, I'd say it was worth the money I spent on it to begin with.  

I was hoping for more, I was in the stress test beta so I saw the starter area and some of what followed. It was actually the Smuggler story that got me to buy the game, as I really wanted to see the character get the ship back and see what happened when I finally got it. I imagined, not surprisingly, I'd be Smuggling things.. entering enemy bases to steal cargo which I could sell on later, and that sort of thing. I guess I expected too much from a multi-million dollar game.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195
    If it wasnt tied into my origin account I'd give you my swtor and the free month they have just given me but sadly I have all my orher games on the same account . : (

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Two to three months? I didn't last two to three WEEKS! Once you hit the mid 20's you realise you've seen everything you're going to see, only the locations are going to change, plus the story if that's something you're interested in. Which I wasn't. Because it wasn't a story. It was basically the wall of text from other MMO's just spoken to you, while giving you the illusion of choice. There is no choice, none of your conversation choices matter, nothing you choose to do matters. It's not like a Bioware single player game where your choices affect the world around you, they're simply using the same cut scene method as from those games.

So you're left with a massively multiplayer game which is neither massive thanks to instancing or multiplayer as 95% of the content is soloable, with Bioware choices that aren't really choices. It's like watching a movie where after every scene you're forced to perform a mindless task for ten minutes before they'll start the movie again. But it's not really a good movie either. It's B movie standard. With poor acting.

^^^This^^^

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79

Not to beat a dead horse, but this was the first MMORPG that I stoped playing two weeks into the first month. I just lost all interest and desire to continue. I'm a huge SW fan, scifi fan and BW fan. There are parts of it that are fun, but the environment is very steril and repetative. Part of appeal to me is feeling like I'm in a living breathing SW universe and that wasn't there.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
      I have really enjoyed the stories in swtor especially the Sith Inquisitor; political intrigue, back stabbing, mis placed loyalties, cutting off peoples heads and depositing in front of the wife and laughing-great stuff- the reason i quit was cuase about 6 weeks ago swtor went to super easy mode and I just cant play a game with PvE in super easy mode.  I know some people like the PvP but huttball really?
  • eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I just wonder if the game would have done better if it woudnt have tried to be something it never was ment to be, a million + sub mmo.  Maybee if it would have been more niche and told everyone that the game was going to be more niche then anything else it wouldnt have got such hard backlash.

Its got good points and bad points, I still have it on my 500GB laptop harddrive though and dont plan on deleteing it any time soon.

• TreebyrnTreebyrn Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by eycel

I just wonder if the game would have done better if it woudnt have tried to be something it never was ment to be, a million + sub mmo.  Maybee if it would have been more niche and told everyone that the game was going to be more niche then anything else it wouldnt have got such hard backlash.

Its got good points and bad points, I still have it on my 500GB laptop harddrive though and dont plan on deleteing it any time soon.

Tor would have been better if Bioware spent the vast majority of the development money on content and lively worlds instead of voice overs for everything.

I had really high hope for this game but in the end the story and voice overs were not enough to hold my attention, in fact my 12 year old son who is a star wars fan and easily amused lost interest and quit playing as well.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by bbbmmmlll

Not to beat a dead horse, but this was the first MMORPG that I stoped playing two weeks into the first month. I just lost all interest and desire to continue. I'm a huge SW fan, scifi fan and BW fan. There are parts of it that are fun, but the environment is very steril and repetative. Part of appeal to me is feeling like I'm in a living breathing SW universe and that wasn't there.

It's funny but in the real world this is how people experienced the environments in SWTOR. On the SWTOR official forums they praise the world design and piss and moan about any suggestion of making the worlds more lively. I have battled against the Flat Earth guys over there who don't want Day/Night cycles because they like the lighting the way it is. It amazes me.

Also, if you mention anything to do with random mobs or dynamic events they get out their pitchforks and torches.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I've played since the "early access" and I still enjoy the game quite a bit. Probably more so then the first couple of months. It's a good game if you're not expecting this MMO to set the world on fire. 

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I would say, give it a try if there is a free trial. If you haven't tried the game, you can't really form your own opinion of it. As an MMO vet, I would say there are some good things and bad things about ToR. It is not the second coming of MMOs, it is not as uber as WoW was at its release, but it is a solid game.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by eycel

I agree with this 100%!

They should have kept this game the way it was meant to be: A SP Bioware RPG with co-op aspects. THAT would have been epic! THAT is what all the Biodrones/whatever wanted. A KotOR 3 or whatever. PvP should have NEVER been in this game, at least not at launch. Who the fuck wants to PvP in a Bioware RPG? That is not what we are here for. We are here for the story, cutscenes/mini-movies, and the chance to get our groove on with some space chick/dude. If you are playing TOR for the PvP then you are doing it wrong.

But as some people have pointed out, the game "looks" great but the enviroment is dead at best. Wax museum-esk someone has said. Sounds right. Little things like that is what makes this game not as good as it could have been. Less (or no) time spent on bullshit PvP... bullshit would have been better served spent on RPG aspects like a dynamic world and actually being able to sit down when you are in a Cantina.

I'm still enjoying the game (my XFire stats prove that; yes some of us are actually playing) and will do so for quite a while it looks like. This is the first time I have stuck with a MMO from launch to over 100 hours at one time. I'm usually bored after a few months. So far so good.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

Originally posted by Elikal

Doesn't spider man have spider senses he should have seen this fail coming from a mile away....

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by ignore_me

Originally posted by bbbmmmlll

It's funny but in the real world this is how people experienced the environments in SWTOR. On the SWTOR official forums they praise the world design and piss and moan about any suggestion of making the worlds more lively. I have battled against the Flat Earth guys over there who don't want Day/Night cycles because they like the lighting the way it is. It amazes me.

What amazes you? That there are actually people out there who like the game the way it is or the fact that there are people who don't like random changes to their world?

By the way, I'm all for day/night cycles and don't understand why it wasn't implementd, but I can see the other side's viewpoint. Some people just love familiarity all the time.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BreitbartBreitbart Member Posts: 22

1. origin.

Your most fortunate.  The vast majority of the consumer market probably purchased it because they wanted to experience it, not because of the grossly irresposible hype and scores from advertising sites.  Again, perhaps the majority of consumers, as witnessed on metacritic, left and significantly down-voted TOR because of the sheer lack of massively-multiplayer content.  Now, as with WAR, the plans for mass server merges begin.

Just be patient for GW2, as is probably your plan.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

......................Just my Opinion.......................

• darkbamydarkbamy Member UncommonPosts: 111
    since swtor is so diffrent then wow ppl cant handle it....sigh
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Originally posted by Breitbart

Just be patient for GW2, as is probably your plan.

Honestly, how long do you think people will play GW2 before they move onto something else?  I'm guessing a week max when you can get max level in less than a week.